It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 anyone here play an instrument? 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I currently play the piano, Going on 7 years of Piano.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

This is my 5th year so far playing trombone. I play in the school's Jazz Band but I don't think that counts.

Image (by Ender)

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:23 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

oh wow i cant remember what i can play....im just a music fanatic....if i remember right i play: flute, piccolo, trumpet, baritone, tenor sax, alto sax, bass sax, guitar, bass, drums, clarinet, and bass clarinet
{giratina}

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

darkxraven wrote:
oh wow i cant remember what i can play....im just a music fanatic....if i remember right i play: flute, piccolo, trumpet, baritone, tenor sax, alto sax, bass sax, guitar, bass, drums, clarinet, and bass clarinet
{giratina}

I thought it was 'baritone' sax, not 'bass', but tell me if I'm wrong. Or does it go by both?

Image (by Ender)

Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:19 pm
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

khoufu wrote:
I thought it was 'baritone' sax, not 'bass', but tell me if I'm wrong. Or does it go by both?

There is an instrument called the Baritone Saxophone, and also a different instrument called the Bass Saxophone. The bass sax is slightly larger, but it isn't used nearly as much, so he might have meant bari sax.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Larger than a bari... Thats a scary thought. I played alto for five years and that was a pain on my neck. I can't imagine anything larger.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:54 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Oh, sorry. So Bass sax, sized between Bari sax and Bassooon. The kid in the school jazz band at my school that plays bari sax and he says the whole strap thing hurts when plays for very long since it digs into his skin. I can't imagine what Bass sax strap does.

flaming_fox wrote:
I played alto for five years and that was a pain on my neck. I can't imagine anything larger.

Is that meant to be a pun?

Image (by Ender)

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

No not really, I mean it hurts my neck like all hell and the word ass is usually censored so I decided to just be specific. And I am pretty sure that the bassoon is more like an oboe than a saxophone.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:18 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yes, I know bassoon is more like oboe, but I just meant in general size. Are you playing something currently?

Image (by Ender)

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yeah, I play guitar and sing a bit.

Fri May 01, 2009 6:52 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Oh, don't get me started. Too late.

It all started when I was born. Well, actually when I was 2, I learned how to play Piano, practicing the crap out of hit songs such as "Mary Had A Little Lamb," and other uber hard songs like that. I then suddenly seized from playing piano, because of the divorce my parents had. I then lived through my elementary years naive, careless, and musicless. It was then during fifth grade that I was given a very special surprise, an Oscar-Smchit guitar. It wasn't anything super fancy, just like any other used guitar. A few scratches here and there, but mostly in good shape. The minute I did an open strum (because I knew nothing else to do) I realised that this was what I wanted to do. I then got a yearning to do blues songs, focusing in particular on the Blues/Disco song by the Rolling Stones, "Miss You". My mom had officially introduced me to rock n roll. My first "gig" that I ever played was the Star Spangled Banner in front of my 5th grade class, while reciting the Gettysburg Address. Amazing, and fruitful. I had been taking lessons from my guitar teacher Troy, when suddenly he left for a cruise around the world for 2 years, where he played with a band on a ship every night. My music interest was lost, but only for a little bit when I was given a Fender Stratacaster Electric Guitar, accompanied by a Shure SM-58 Microphone, and a used Mic-Stand. I also was bought a 2 channel soundboard, so I could put vocal and guitar through one amp. Vocal. Vocal. Vocal. I then realized that I wasn't born a sucky singer, unlike my dad, who sounds like Willy Nelson without even trying.

It was the closing of my 6th grade year, when I was asked to play a show for one of my friends graduating from the 8th grade class of 3 people...yeah, private schools for the loss. The song we wanted to do? Led Zepplin's Stairway To Heaven. I was first asked to play rhythm guitar during the final section of the song, and stand around looking pretty for the other parts. And thus, my old band, Spanish Moss was born. Our lineup? Fantastic.

John H. - Lead Guitar
Tanner (Kakashi) - Rhythm Guitar
Kitty H. - Bass
Gabbi H. - Drums
Neal S. - Vocals
Stefan C. - Rhythm Guitar

My buddy Stefan had jumped on the bandwagon, and was planning to assist me on playing the very end of the song, even though I could of done fine myself. When Neal S. sucked at vocals, John put me on vocals, and Neal was switched to keyboard. We did the song, after evading our principle about the "morals of the song" and we did it. So what happened after that? Well we played gigs across town. Battle of the Bands, in particular. We got wupped by all the bands, and we were certain that we would win. We played "Free Bird" by Lynnyrd Skynnyrd, and a rendition of Amazing Grace because it was a Christian Battle of the Bands. Playing Amazing Grace was my mom's idea, and we payed for it. Crestfallen, we did little to nothing for a few more months. Kitty and Neal were kicked out, and things slowed. I wrote a new songs titled "Someday", and has still proven to be my best. Middle School was drawing to a close, so we made the best of it with a fundraiser concert my 8th grade year. 40 awesome songs, played back to back for a 3 hour madhouse. Even if listening back to it we didn't sound that good, we still tried.

I'll skip a bunch for the sake of you, but the band was starting to fail. Epicly. I started having arguments with John Hawk, as he disagreed on everything I wanted to do. Things were going very bad, and in fact, they were going way down hill. After a very successful concert in my high school's new auditorium, I quit the band the following week. My driving force? My mother. My mom is my best friend and worst enemy, and even though she tries to live her life through me, I still live with it. My solo career had taken off. I was introduced to this Sports Bar that I played it every Thursday (and I still do) for an hour before the headliner "Free Beer" played. I enjoyed this atmosphere, even If I was a minor, it was great. And here I am, still a solo artist, and still rocking and rolling. My biggest project? A gig May 30th in which I open up this huge festival known as Harryfest 16. By myself.

And to answer your question?

I play:

Harmonica
Guitar
Bass
Accordion
Vocals

Sat May 02, 2009 11:02 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Its people like you that make me feel bad about myself.

I'll since you entertained us all with that awesome story I'll follow up with an account of how my first and only attempt at getting a band together.

So I just started to learn guitar, and get the great idea of starting a band. So I go to my good friend (Registeel_Rocks, if you must know) and he decides that he wants to play bass. Then things start to fall apart, my other friend decided he also wants to play bass. Well R_R gives is and decides to do vocals. At this point we still need a drummer and conveniently enough my little bro plays set. I can't stand him when it comes down to it but my friends decide to out vote me.

We had two practices, both ending up with all of us forgetting about the band and playing video games and my bro deciding to hang at somewhere else instead, which I really didn't mind that much. This is when I realized that it wasn't going to work. My bassist never practiced and R_R really didn't have anything to practice because we never got to the point that we could play together. And my bro, well I just don't like spending that much time around him.

And thats just about it, hope you all enjoyed reading my tale of epic failness.

Sat May 02, 2009 12:45 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

flaming_fox wrote:
We had two practices, both ending up with all of us forgetting about the band and playing video games

Lol, at my dad's house when I started up bands, that had actually happened to me a lot. Why put forth the effort to play in a real band, when you can play Rock Band?. But hey, you know what, as long as you have the driving force to play and practice, anyone can go anywhere.

Sat May 02, 2009 12:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

See that would be the problem lol I wanted to get the band moving and to everybody else it was just whatever and didn't really care.

It doesn't matter anymore though. We all graduate this year and move on in life and even if we had gotten off the ground with the band we would most like have been forced to kill it anyways.

Sat May 02, 2009 12:59 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

flaming_fox wrote:
See that would be the problem lol I wanted to get the band moving and to everybody else it was just whatever and didn't really care.

It doesn't matter anymore though. We all graduate this year and move on in life and even if we had gotten off the ground with the band we would most like have been forced to kill it anyways.

Yes, but however, you had one advantage that I didn't. Well, sort of. You had siblings in your band, so moving from place and practicing and getting places wouldn't be as difficult. My drummer and guitarist lived in the same house, but the drummer skipped out on practices half the time anyways. I know a band called Please Promise that are just 3 brothers, and actually went successful but...doesn't mean that you can't still pick up the music and do it as a hobby ^_^

Sat May 02, 2009 1:05 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I can't get along with my bro enough to do anything constructive with him.

But its ok, I plan on trying my hand on making a living off of performing, even if it means that I barely get by most of my life. I have the rest of my life ahead of me to make music so it doesn't really matter that I didn't get much done the last three years.

Anyways I was just saying how lucky you are to be in a band. Do you have any youtube vids or anything that you can link for us?

Sat May 02, 2009 1:18 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

flaming_fox wrote:
Anyways I was just saying how lucky you are to be in a band. Do you have any youtube vids or anything that you can link for us?

Is it ok If I post links on this forum? I didn't know If I would be considered an advertising bot for showing videos of my old band ^_^

Yes, here you go.

Here's a tribute vid full of pics and stuff....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHPw1Xytork

And here's an old solo video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MtVyBNY5qA

And if you're even still interested, here's my youtube channel filled with all sorts of music.
http://www.youtube.com/user/captainclasick

These vids are ancient, when my spring solo tour starts, I'll record some of them and post em up, so don't worry ^^ And by ancient I mean like 1-2 years.

Sat May 02, 2009 1:30 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Cool vids! I wish I could be in a band. Myf riends and I were talking about it like a montha go, but we haven't even brought it up since then.

Image (by Ender)

Sat May 02, 2009 1:33 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

khoufu wrote:
Cool vids! I wish I could be in a band. Myf riends and I were talking about it like a montha go, but we haven't even brought it up since then.

That's cool! What kind of music do you plan on playing?

Sat May 02, 2009 1:36 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Man, you have a crazy powerful voice. Its deceptive too, because you don't really look capable of producing it.

I am truly impressed.

Sat May 02, 2009 8:03 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Kakashi1350 wrote:
That's cool! What kind of music do you plan on playing?

Random stuff, like singing stuff whlie in costumes, like dressing like aliens, nerdy ninjas w/ nerdy glasses, anerexic bears, etc. and playing sorta light rock stuff or whatever, idk. We're all a bunch of random people, and the naem was going to be 'Nerds That Run Fast'.

Image (by Ender)

Sat May 02, 2009 8:21 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

flaming_fox wrote:
Man, you have a crazy powerful voice. Its deceptive too, because you don't really look capable of producing it.

I am truly impressed.

Well, I guess my mom didn't lie when she said that I was a good singer, :D
Thank you.

@Khofu: Lol, good luck with a band. Nothing wrong with just lookin for a good time and having fun :P

Sun May 03, 2009 5:04 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't know what I'm going to do about a band. I play the trombone and I like Rock/Alt/Grunge/Metal. I want to start one, my friend is learning how to play guitar, and I think I might sing. The thing is, my friend pretty much only listens to metal, and I want to sing Alt/Grunge (get the genre back). I wouldn't mind singing metal, if it was like Metallica, Alice In Chains, KoRn or SOAD (that way I'll be able to scream).

Mon May 11, 2009 3:22 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I play the Bb Clarinet and Bb Bass Clarinet.
For those of you who think the Clarinet is more of an instrument for wimps, I will tell you otherwise. Its harder than most people think. Just though I should put that out there, being a clarinetist for four years.
I would play the guitar, but my parents won't get me a tutor.

Sat May 23, 2009 6:25 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

The_Shedinja_Ninja wrote:
I play the Bb Clarinet and Bb Bass Clarinet.
For those of you who think the Clarinet is more of an instrument for wimps, I will tell you otherwise. Its harder than most people think. Just though I should put that out there, being a clarinetist for four years.
I would play the guitar, but my parents won't get me a tutor.

McCartney and Hendrix were self taught guitarists. All you really need is to learn how to play chords, the notes, and practice. I can't emphasize that enough.

Sun May 24, 2009 10:46 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next