It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Remake of the good old days 

Remake them
Yep, I'll even pay to buy them 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Umm.. well it is a good idea.. 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
No way 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8

Remake of the good old days 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Has anyone ever remembered games they have played on their old videogame console (ie playstation1, sega, nintendo 64, etc.)? All I currently remember is Dino Crisis 2 and Digimon World (1 and 3). I think they should have a remake and put them on the latest videogame consoles. What do you guys think??

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:53 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Why is it that you kids consider Nintendo 64 and PlayStation "retro" consoles? The TRUE "retro" consoles were made decades before you were born, in the late 1970's. Do I want to see remakes? God no. Once in a while a remake of a good game is okay (read: GOOD GAME, not some crappy Zelda game that's only like 10 years old), but the amount of ports and remakes for the Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS is ridiculous.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:29 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

I don't have much use for ports and remakes when I still have a working Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis (uhh maybe, I'll get back to you on that one), GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance and Nintendo 64 and my PS2 can play PS1 games. :( Remakes and ports are only good for disgustingly rare games or games that never actually got distribution in certain countries.

I personally don't like the Virtual Console, either. Seems like Nintendo saw dollar signs in their eyes to make people pay again for games that they probably already own (multiple times if ports and remakes are considered into the equation as well). At least all of the current consoles and some of the handhelds have a certain degree of backwards compatibility.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:40 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I forgot to mention - I'm happy for the port (remake?) of Chrono Trigger DS and would be all for a remake or a port of EarthBound. I don't want to play a slow PlayStation version of CT (FFV and FFVI were awfully slow with loading times) and the SNES cartridges of CT and EarthBound near $100!!!

Also, translated ports of japanese games are nice too. See: FFV

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
Remakes and ports are only good for disgustingly rare games or games that never actually got distribution in certain countries.

I know I'll just get a token response of "lolkids", but what about people like me who never got the old consoles the first time around and can't be bothered to shell out hundreds of pounds for a used SNES? Emulation is, for me, a last resort for Japanese games that never received a Western release; I much prefer the feel of playing a game on an actual console, even if it is only a handheld.

However, I do agree that PSOne/GBA games don't exactly need remakes, considering that they have backwards compatability on the newer machines.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:42 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

goldenquagsire wrote:
Quote:
Remakes and ports are only good for disgustingly rare games or games that never actually got distribution in certain countries.

I know I'll just get a token response of "lolkids", but what about people like me who never got the old consoles the first time around and can't be bothered to shell out hundreds of pounds for a used SNES?

I suppose ONE remake per game every decade or so is fine for this reason, but any more than that is insulting.

In mean, in the last seven years alone we've gotten...
Final Fantasy IV, released on the Playstation
Final Fantasy IV, released on the GameBoy Advance
Final Fantasy IV, the 3D remake that was released on the Nintendo DS

And let's take probably the worse offender here...
Mario Bros., which was released in arcades in 1983
Mario Bros., which was released on the NES a few years later
Mario Bros., which was kind of included in SMB3 (which has been remade/ported many times itself)
Mario Bros., which was included as a bonus game on four different cartridges (Super Mario Advance 1-4)
Mario Bros., which was included in Animal Crossing if you had the e-Reader
Mario Bros., which was released again as part of the "Classic NES" series (Japan only)
Mario Bros., which Nintendo now has the nerve to actually charge for on the Virtual Console

I don't even want to touch Capcom and their love of making slightly improved remakes for every Street Fighter game in the world either.

Point is, companies go way overboard with the remakes and ports.

Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:04 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Those are indeed examples of when remakes go overboard (I would argue that FFIVds is actually quite a good remake, but the fact that FFIVa exists makes this seem a little devalued). However, I think there are times when it can be argued that multiple remakes are a good thing.

Take, for instance, Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Ken. It was originally released in 1990 on the NES. They remade it as Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo on the SNES in 1994. However, that added new graphics, improved soundtrack and an entire extra storyline. Neither game was released overseas. Now, they've remade it again as Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS, with vastly improved graphics, new gameplay mechanics and a Western localisation. Two remakes in eighteen years, and I'd say that they were both necessary remakes.

Edit: *facepalm* @ 2x4b

Last edited by goldenquagsire on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

In my opinion there isn't really any point in remaking a game from 10 or 20 years ago for the current generation because of the fact that most kids these days haven't even heard of a Sega Mega Drive or NES. And the minute you place down a game that doesn't have a space marine that could take an entire armory to the face in front of a child they'll throw a fit because it's not 'cool' or 'safe'. I remember when games could be things that didn't even make sense but they were good. Games like Tombi or Paperboy. Back when games could be about a cowboy with a gun that shoots rainbows and sunshine.

Remakes? No
Releases of games that never made it outside of Japan (I.E. Mother 3)? YES

Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:03 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Let's see what platforms/consoles I own that are still working... a SEGA Genesis, a Game Boy Color, and a DS Lite. As such, remakes for good games for platforms that I do not own, such as, say, the SNES, are fine with me. Like GQ, I'd prefer to play on a handheld than on a emulator for such games.

On the other hand, games like FFIV are just overdone. Sure, FFIV DS did receive quite a makeover in terms of the 3D graphics and all, but I never got past the antlion in FFIV DS :/

Oh and releases of former Jap-only games are almost always good :D

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:02 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]