Yes 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
No 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 9

Can you play the piano? 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I know this is a stupid poll, but just wondering. :(
Can you play it, cause if you can, I am totally jealous of you. :(

I took lessons a while ago, but I can barely read music, and if there was anything I was better at, it would definitely be to play the piano. I'm pretty sad that I can't.

PS Reading 5th grade BS does not count. You have to be able to read an actual piece of music. If it's not written by a great composer, you suck. Für Elise (Bagatelle in A minor) does not count.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:03 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Oh, I think Fur Elise can count if you play the WHOLE thing, not just the main line that everyone knows. That song is quite impressive, really.

I'm an amateur pianist. I started taking lessons at the age of 12. Six years later, I still can't sightread to save my life. Next weekend I have a recital, and I'm playing Klaus Badelt's "He's a Pirate," better known as the main theme to the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Fun song.

In addition to that, I played Nobuo Uematsu's "To Zanarkand" about a month ago in front of a crowd of about 800. I almost passed out after I got off stage. I'm a terrible performer; I can't stand being the center of attention.

Still, I have fun playing the piano, and so long as I'm still having fun, I'm going to continue to play it. I think I want to work on another video game piece next.. perhaps one of the many Robotnik Themes from the Genesis days will do.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

:O You don't know how badly I wanted to play the Robotnik themes! It just used to be the two base notes that I would play, and hum the rest. :P

Well, I was taught Keyboard for Grade 1 and passed with 98%. However, for both fear of getting a lower grade (which was somewhat inevitable) and seeing that learning more would be pointless, I gave up, and taught myself.

I can read music, but I have to note down every last little bit. IT also helps if I know the tune, so that I can anticipate whether it goes up or down (very technical language, I know) so that I can just put it into the required key.

I pretty much make my own compositions. I get a theme in my mind, try and play it according to the theme, and then treat it as a minimalistic peice. I'm currently doing one that revolves around winter, but I'm having trouble finding a new "phrase" in it.

My piano's exceedingly out of tune as well. We had to move it outside and round the house so I could have it in my room (we had no room for it after my sis moved back in) so now I cringe if I play two 'a's that are at least two octaves apart. :P

Oh, and my friend has just learnt "I'm a Pirate" (she's got a diploma or some random thing that is past Grade eight in Keyboard) and she playes it on her Tyros 2. It is so schmexy. She's relly good at it, and she has complete knowledge of her keyboard, allowing her to mix four different types of strings together. At my request, she is now working on remixing into some kind of techno version. I never knew it was by Klaus Badelt though. I seem to think that movie music falls from the sky and just so happens to be playing at the same time, and coincidence is what makes it sound cool. ;P

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:09 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

DatVu wrote:
PS Reading 5th grade BS does not count.
Fifth grade as in learning Mary Had a Little Lamb at school on the recorder, or fifth grade piano?

I'm in fifth grade piano right now. I've been taking it since I was seven or eight (free lessons!) and I really enjoy it. I'm a born musician -- my whole family (at least on my dad's side) is. My teacher (my aunt -- hence the free lessons) does two recitals a year, one in June and one in December. The crowd is usually only a hundred, but it's fun all the same. At my last recital I played Sonatina in G, third movement (although that means nothing; can you think of all the songs named that?!) and One Moment in Time by Whitney Houston. I don't know what my solo is for June, but I'm playing the primo part of a Phantom of the Opera/Music of the Night duet.

Here's me playing the Sonatina, with TONS of mistakes (usually it's way better). It's only a grade four piece, mind.

Sonatina in G; Third Movement

I don't do much piano on my own; I basically stick to the stuff I do with my lessons, but I know the right hand main theme of the anime Air (so beautiful) and the entirety of the Link's Awakening field theme (like normal Zelda theme, but has this other part near the middle that's insanely fun to play). There's a left hand part with Link's Awakening, but it's just perfect octave intervals that aren't fun to play.

I love recitals. :D I love being the centre of attention, even if I'm not playing so well that day. At my last recital, during Sonatina, I accidentally skipped like, half of it, and during One Moment in Time, my music fell on my fingers as I was playing. But... When I played One Moment in Time last June at a recital (everyone loves me on that song... And it's grade five level, so I'm proud to have learned it before I even finished grade four) and it just... It was the best feeling ever, I don't know, I was completely wrapped up in the music.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:15 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I started keybaord & piano around mid last year.

I'm nothing special due to my lack of playing.

The stuff I play mainly consists of Matthew Bellamy (the singer in Muse) who has been comparissoned to some Classical composers. Being influenced by Romantic Era piano music. Also some random piano 'riffs' in other rock songs.

But when DatVu said about 5th Grade BS, read music etc. I've found that a lot of great piano players I know, can't read sheet music at all. I can read sheet music pretty well actually, but I rely on my brain to remember it when i've played it once.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:28 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I don't know how to play even though my piano is right behind me. =!

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]