It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Shadow Dragon? 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

If anyone out there's an FE fan, then you probably already know the glory of Shadow Dragon. Unfortunately...I'm stuck on it. lol But what I'm interested on are your thoughts on the game - maybe here we can exchange strategies, character prefferences or even give tips. <3 Marth!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000277476380 Let's be friends?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Shadow Dragon is possibly the second or first worst game in the series. A total lack of characterisation or script, mediocre graphics and music (even FE8 on the GBA was better in this respect) and frankly ridiculous gameplay (killing off characters to unlock chapters runs against everything you've ever learnt) make this an overall disappointing game. To make matters worse, they couldn't even be arsed to include a remake of Book 2 from Monshou no Nazo - most likely banking on the ignorance of the western fanbase of prior remakes of Fire Emblem 1.

Okay, so there are worse games you could buy. But seriously, all the previous Fire Emblem games released in the west are superior to Shadow Dragon; the ones with a Japan-only release are often considered even better.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

I don't even find myself attached to Marth, the main character, so obviously Shadow Dragon is doing something wrong with its character development. I've played Fire Emblem 7, released simply as Fire Emblem on the GBA, an unofficial fan-translated version of Fire Emblem 6, to which Fire Emblem 7 was a prequel, as well as Fire Emblem 8, which is better known as Fire Emblem: the Sacred Stones, also for the GBA. And despite their poorer, GBA-style graphics, they were more engrossing than Shadow Dragon in my opinion.

Like GQ, I also find it strange that you cannot access the special chapters unless you have less than a certain number of characters alive, which goes against Fire Emblem's key idea of keeping all your characters alive, or lose them forever. Instead you are left with deliberately letting characters die in order to unlock the special chapters, or at the very best you no longer care so much if you lose a character.

It was also a little frustrating to find that the Rescue function is no longer available, but I got used to that pretty quickly.

That being said, the Reclass system is a pretty nifty addition to the series, and the core gameplay experience still remains pretty much the same, so I still find the game pretty enjoyable.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]