Today, I'm reviewing Left of the Middle
by Natalie Imbruglia.
Here I go:
General Review - Left of the Middle
, released in 1999, was the debut album by Australian singer Natalie Imbruglia. She launched an international sensation with her first single, "Torn" , a cover of the original song done by Ednaswap. The single went # 1 on the US hot 100 airplay. Other jewels include "Wishing I Was There" and "Big Mistake. On the whole, Left of the Middle
gets 4.9 out of 5 stars
1. Torn - Rating : 5 out of 5 stars - Individual Review - Torn was Imbruglia's first single, and is her best track on the album. With soft dace beats and the catchy, repeated chorus of "I'm all out of faith, This is how I feel,I'm cold and I am shamed, Lying naked on the floor, Illusion never changed,Into something real,I'm wide awake and I can see the perfect sky is torn, You're a little late,I'm already torn " makes this song melancholic yet soothing.
2. One More Addiction - Rating : 4.75 out of 5 stars - Individual Review - One More Addiction is a slightly breathy, addicting track with roller-coaster lyrics.
3.Big Mistake - Rating : 5 out of 5 stars - Individual Review - Natalie's next single, "Big Mistake" wasn't as popular as Torn, but still generated enough interest in the Aussie in its own right. With a bit of a rock vibe, and some raw vocals, it's my third favorite track on the album.
4.Leave Me Alone - Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars - Individual Review - Leave Me Alone is probably the worst track on the album, but still isn't that bad. Vocal echoes and effects with a jazzy saxaphone in the background, leave me alone is necessary for any fan of pop/jazz.
5.Wishing I Was There - Rating : 5 out of 5 stars - Individual Review - Wishing I Was There was Natalie's third single, and my second favorite behind Torn. Singing about a boyfriend to some unusually sassy and sunny beats, with a few pounds of sarcasm, suggests an air of getting over a relationship quickly, and plotting the consequences for the cheater.
6.Smoke - Rating : 4.9 out of 5 stars - In. Review - An extremely depressing song, "Smoke" was Imbruglia's fourth single, and was a hit as well. Singing about the loss of a loved one, vocals are a bit raw (which, in my opinion, is a good thing) , and piano is used to make a hypnotic beat.
7. Pigeons and Crumbs - Rating: 5 out of 5 stars - In. Review - A funky, drawing song. A confused girl sings about how she's in line to be crushed, but she's so insignificant that it doesn't matter. A cool background vibe with soft vocals, Pigeons and Crumbs is a widely disregarded jewel of Natalie's.
8. Don't You Think - Rating: 5 out of 5 stars - In. Review- More of a rock / funk track, with a lot of “spoken” lyrics. This song tells a good story about materialism.
9. Impressed – Rating : 5 out of 5 stars – In. Review – buzzing with vocal effects and dripping with sarcasm, Natalie shows us her “bad” side. Similar to Don’t You Think, except more appealing to pop/rock fans.
10. Intuition- Rating : 4.7 out of 5 stars – In. Review – a bit of a country track, with some cowbells ringing at the beginning, Intuition is a great song about how people pressure her. A bit, at lack of better words, dull and childish, but other than that, it’s a great track
11. City – Rating : 5 out of 5 - In. Review - a good rock piece, emotional almost to the point of being emo. One of my favorites, but it has an annoying 5 minute silence lapse.
12. Left of the Middle – Rating : 5 out of 5 – In. Review – a mellow, calm piece; it’s perfect for the end of the album. Lightly aloof like Pigeons and the Crumbs
Well, there you have it! I give the whole album 4.95 stars on the whole, and it’s my favorite album of all time! If you enjoy this album, she has two others called White Lilies Island
and Counting Down the Days
Awesome Siggy: Spongedude
Fantastic Avie: froggy_00 If I owe/ said I would donate you psybucks, please PM me ASAP (preferably a link to the page that I "bought" the item) and I will try to round them up as quickly as possible (of course, after the cash mod is fully functional). Thanks.