It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 CD Review: The Fratellis - Costello Music 
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

omg gq make CD review?!?

The Fratellis are one of my favourite bands ever, and their first (and so far, only) album, Costello Music (released on September 11th, 2006), is a fine start for this Scottish indie group. The band originates from Glasgow, Scotland. They have won the Best British Breakthrough act at the 2007 BRIT awards, and they appeared at Glastonbury Festival.

Their music is cheery and catchy, with good lyrics (mostly rather humourous accounts of love and of a "lad's life") and sound. John Lawler’s voice is lively and tuneful, with Barry Wallace and Gordon McRory complementing him perfectly on the bass guitar and drums respectively. They are pretty easy to listen to, but at the same time they have very good standards. Despite their Scottish heritage, Lawler doesn't seem to have much of an accent in his vocals.

Costello Music has the tracks that the Fratellis are most famous for: Chelsea Dagger, which has appeared in several movie commercials; and Flathead, which was featured in ads for Apple’s iPod. However, in my opinion, they are not the best that the album’s 13 tracks have to offer (although they are both excellent songs). For the Girl has an addictive chorus, and is fast-paced overall. Doginabag has great lyrics, and a slightly slower pace than some of the other songs, but the rhythm is still just as good as expected. Vince the Lovable Stoner is oddly nostalgic, with a good intro and middle. Nearly all the other tracks are good, easy stuff. The only bad apple on this CD is probably Ole Black ‘N’ Blue Eyes – it might just be me, but I don’t like the song very much. The lyrics aren’t as good as, say, VtLS or Doginabag; the rhythm also feels different from the rest of the album to me. It’s still an okay-ish song anyway, and certainly better than some of the music out there these days.

Overall, I’d give this album a 9.2/10, for its' almost perfect track list. It’s a definite must-have, and certainly proof that those who claim that all modern music is crap are wrong. Fans of indie music in general will love this, as will those who prefer their songs stout and without much computer-generated sound effects. Although they have had great success on their home turf in Britain, I haven't noticed much appreciation of their music in the US (although mainland Euopre is not unfamiliar with them). If Costello Music is anything to go by, the Fratellis have much potential, and I can’t wait for their next album.

Track Listing:

Henrietta
Flathead
C*ntry Boys and City Girls
Whistle for the Choir
Chelsea Dagger
For the Girl
Doginabag
Creepin up the Backstairs
Vince the Loveable Stoner
Everybody Knows You Cried Last Night
Baby Fratelli