It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 American Thickheadedness and the Anime 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

So I just got done reading about the censorship part of the Anime section on the main page, and now I'm practically hating American censorship. I know that some of them, like Porygon's premeir episode that was epilleptic, deserve to have been banned, but there are others that shouldnt have. Like Jynx, for instance. I know the whole "blackface" thing is contraversial, but why do this in pokemon? Mr. Popo has blackface and he his a symbol of dragonball.
Also, they'll never allow the two-episode long battle between Plasma and Rocket air because of the obvious resembleance of 9/11. But, change the setting to Nimbasa, and it might pass.
Is anyone else kinda ticked off about this?

Goodbye
"

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:40 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I recommend you do more research before creating a topic like this.

The dub simply never received copies of the Porygon episode, the Whiscash episode in Pokemon Advanced, nor the Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma two-parter. Why? Because those episodes were a BIG DEAL in Japan. The Japanese voice actress of Meowth specifically stated that the entire crew of the Japanese anime wanted to treat the Porygon episode like it never happened. The Whiscash episode included earthquakes and Japan had recently suffered tragedy from earthquakes at the time. And the Team Plasma vs. Team Rocket episodes are on hold because they would have aired during 3/11, which was again a gigantic Japanese tragedy caused by earthquakes and tsunamis.

Those last three episodes have never even aired in Japan, so why would they be sent overseas for international audiences? We may get the Plasma/Rocket episodes later during BW but that only would be IF the Japanese side edits the episode to place it into the current storyline. Japan just doesn't give out the episodes to an international audience if they have problems with the episodes on THEIR end.

As for the Jynx episode? Bringing up Mr. Popo is not a solid defense for why we lost the Jynx episode because Carole Weatherford also targeted him in her article, and the DBZ manga had to alter his design too. The United States simply has an ugly history with racism and 4Kids were TOTALLY right in not dubbing an episode that heavily featured a design that could be seen as racist - especially when the games themselves had already redesigned Jynx and the anime was several years late in catching up.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:55 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well I gathered what I thought to be enough info on this stuff.
Its a rumor going around that they might not show the Plasma vs. Rocket episodes because it is that the battle wreaks havoc on Castelia City, which is a real life reference to Manhattan. I didnt know that it hadnt been shown in Japan yet, because I dont follow the Anime as closely as I used to.

Goodbye
"

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:40 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Samurott wrote:
I didnt know that it hadnt been shown in Japan yet, because I dont follow the Anime as closely as I used to.

Well, clearly you didn't do enough research if you didn't even bother checking whether one of the cornerstones of your argument (that us not seeing the Rocket/Plasma episodes in English was the fault of the EVIL AMERICANS OPPRESSING US ALL) was true or not.

In any case, you're missing the point. The Rocket/Plasma episodes not being shown (or anything in B/W, for that matter) has NOTHING to do with 9/11. It has everything to do, however, with the earthquakes/tsunami from last year happening just as those two episodes were about to air, and the Japanese not airing them to further distress people.

I doubt they'll even be shown, Ash and co. are too far away from the two big cities (Castelia and Nimbasa) by this point for the Rocket/Plasma episodes to make any sort of sense.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well the rumor states that- Nevermind. I see no means to reason.

Goodbye
"

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Samurott wrote:
Well the rumor states that- Nevermind. I see no means to reason.

Exactly.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:27 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Is there any way I can watch all pokemon anime-episodes ??

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:53 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Netflix

character limits make me cri evry tiem

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]