I usually give them French-ish names, many times in some way derived from their official French name. In Pokémon Blue, my team was:
- Dracau, from its French name Dracaufeu (Fire Dragon) - ♂
- Bella, which is more Italian than French, but this was because of there being a 'bell' sound in all its evolutions' names. - ♀
- Piko, from its French name Triopikeur (Three Miners, I believe) - ♂
- Renée, from its French name Feunard, which means Fire Fox. Renard is fox in French, and Renée sounds like that, so... - ♀
- Roli, from its French name Pyroli. - ♂
- Colvert, which means 'mallard', because for some reason 'mar' reminds me of the word 'mallard'. - ♂
And then my other guys that I didn't really use on my team. Like, ever.
- Jackie. Guess where that's from! Roseanne... - ♂
- Lukas, from its French name Lokhlass. - ♂
- Trilo. According to Bulbapedia, these dudes are based on trilobites. So, Trilo. - ♂
- Terry. Its French name is Ptéra, and I was going to call it Terra, but in LeafGreen (which is where I got all these dudes' genders) it was a dude, so I changed it to Terry. - ♂
- I was going to call it Moltrois, but in the end I decided not to give Moltres a nickname. I don't really think it makes sense to give a unique Pokémon a nickname. It's not like you'll mix it up with someone else's Moltres... I did, however, rewrite it so it wasn't all capitalized.
Something I just noticed: all these names are disyllabic. Totally not on purpose. And also, Lukas and Moltres are the only ones I used (for Surf and Fly, respectively) aside from my main team, and they're the only ones whose names end in a hard sound. Colvert ends in a soft sound, like Stephen Colbert from the Colbert Report. Parce qu'il est français.
Oh, I might as well share the names of my other two teams (a water one and a grass one).
- Cara ♀
- Dardeur ♂
- Surri ♀
- Kali ♀
- Firos ♂
- Cuno (to keep up with the disyllable thing goin' on)
- Rizar ♂
- Victor ♂
- Kailu ♀
- Neo ♂
- Tali ♀
- Koko ♀
- Zapdos (just made it not all capitalized)
If you were offended by my post, just know that I was probably kidding. Probably...