It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Ghost Pokemon... 
THE POWER IS ON!

... are really freaking creepy. Two-thirds of them have Pokedex entries that either explicitly say they kill people or heavily imply it.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:24 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Well, yeah. They're ghosts. They're supposed to be creepy and lethal. However, nothing is more lethal (based on dex entries, anyway) than Kabutops. They cut you open and drain your body fluids.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:35 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

And the mushroom on top of Parasect is a parasite, sucking away at the bug's energy and controlling its mind like some sort of zombie-vassal. For a kid's game, some Pokemon are really creepy.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:20 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

This is exactly why my sprite hasn't left the house for weeks now. It's a dangerous world out there!

"You don't sit down and write a wish list about the person you are going to fall violently in love with. It just doesn't work like that."

Stephen Fry

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

"Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry."

"These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life."

If you thought entries like Shuppet and Banette were morbid, Yamask just went way beyond that.
Poor little guy.

Edit: I'd like to mention that I made this post from a comp in which the image in the OP would not load.

Last edited by DNA on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:43 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Glad to see my favorite Ghost pokemon {mismagius} isn't that bad & that her pre-evolution is even less threatening to the lives of it's victims...

Didn't know that Gengar's family was that :censored: up though, just wow...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wow, those dex entries never really registered with me. I think there are a few people at Nintendo that might need counsoling.

But yeah there Ghost pokemon, so I guess their entries are gonna be kinda creepy to begin with.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:00 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I just noticed that Lampent's marked in green. If it's true that it steals the spirit right when the person's about to die anyway, shouldn't that be marked yellow and not green?

In other news, I'm sure that Ghost types aren't the only Pokemon like this - just that most of the more evil entries belong to Ghost-type Pokemon. It'd be interesting to do a survey of all of them (however time-consuming it may be) to see what other entries are out there.

Like...like Houndoom.
I'm now inspired to look up the dex entries of every Dark-type.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think Kadabra has something about bringing death if you look at his shadow, or something like that.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:32 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

dry wrote:
I think Kadabra has something about bringing death if you look at his shadow, or something like that.

It only brings bad luck, not death.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:48 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

By the way, Shedinja's entry is proven false by this epic webcomic: http://www.rarecandytreatment.com/comics/1246650/the-re-bustening/#cpage

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:45 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Holy cow, I didn't know Ghost Pokemon could be so creepy! This is definately an interesting topic...

Time Zone: MDT (Mountain Daylight Time)
----------------------------------
Trading Thread
----------------------------------

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:22 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

this is another reason why i'm glad that pokedex descriptions are just there for your reading pleasure and have no actual effect on game play. cuz if a youngster defeated ur drifloon and you walked to that same route the next day and see your Drifloon out of ur box or team but standing in that same youngster's place, u kno what happened

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I knew there was a reason I didn't like them darned ghost things ...

It is actually a little disturbing ...

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:48 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Frost wrote:

... are really freaking creepy. Two-thirds of them have Pokedex entries that either explicitly say they kill people or heavily imply it.

Interesting, Pokemon is much more darker then I thought. i kinda like that...

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:30 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think Houndoom's entry is kinda scary (its fire brings eternal pain), but I think with ghost Pokemon, it kinda got old with everything stalking you and eating your soul and dragging you to the underworld. But Yamask's is just plain creepy (and slightly sad...)

Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:14 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Interesting... But as far as creepy pokemon, Gorebyss sucks out your body fluids.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:58 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I like to imagine a lot of the Pokédex entries are b.s. The entire catch-Pokémon-to-trigger-device-to-show-you-information-it-already-has concept is bogus; I think the player character is writing them in. And makes things up from time to time.

As for why some of the entries are the same in different games? That's just you, getting tired of coming up with new things to say about the same old Zubat and Geodude over and over. And to think you were so ambitious for the Ruby and Sapphire ones.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]