It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 This may be a dumb question, but I'm still curious. 

Am I doing it wrong?
Yes 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
No 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 7

This may be a dumb question, but I'm still curious. 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Okay, so I was just kinda browsing Psypokes earlier today and I came across and read this:

http://www.psypokes.com/rsefrlg/trainersguide.php

Now, I've always played Pokemon the way I wanted to, never caring about IVs EVs or DVs I'm 19 and I've been playing them since the day they came out in Ohio and I still have almost no idea what any of those things do to be honest. So I might be bad at competitive battling for that reason alone, although I wouldn't know, I never can find anyone to battle with over wifi.

But getting past the point that I don't fully understand the mechanics behind Pokemon and moving on to the next part, the link to the guide posted earlier says you should always have Pokemon with mixed sets of attacks and such, not all doing damage and not all stat modifiers and all the other things it says. That's all fine and good, but what I'm curious about is this mostly; I've always done it my own way and in doing so I'd always give all of my Pokemon offensive/damaging attacks, never a Swagger TM or a Screech from level-up, the occasional Mean Look yes, but other than that, nothing but damaging attacks. In doing so I came to quickly realize a team of six needs to have attacks that effect a broad range of opponents, but even more so I developed I guess what you could call my own style of battling? Where I stick to the damaging attacks yes, but while doing that and while raising said team, I focus on teaching them the moves that do damage while having the most chance of a side-effect, or the biggest quantity of side-effects.

A perfect example?

Steelix at lvl1 wants to learn;
Ice Fang
Thunder Fang
Fire Fang

All of which have a few side-effects which aren't too bad, flinching plus the possibility of being frozen, paralyzed, or burnt. And then what? You've got room for another attack? And for me it'd probably be Flash Cannon or Earthquake. And I set up an entire team like this. So what I want to ask you, the public, is this;

I know my own training methods aren't very close to those suggested elsewhere, but are they terrible or wrong? In a way that you guys and girls think I should try to change them?

An old team I had an idea for. Criticism is appreciated.

SoulSilver-- 1892-9981-0071

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Trading thread-- viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27567

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:59 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Not really, no. It wasn't until recently that I tried mixing up my movesets with stat-boosters and such. It's totally unnecessary for in-game purposes, for the most part. But it does make things easier or more interesting, if you try them out. And I think they probably do make a big difference competitively.

So, if you're not competitive, you're doing fine. If you are, then you're doinitrong.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:07 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

So what you're basically telling me, is that if I were to actually try and go competitive with my way of training, I'd get mopped up because majority of people that do competitive battling use the stat modifiers and the attacks that as a child I deemed "useless". Correct?

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:12 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Elrik wrote:
So what you're basically telling me, is that if I were to actually try and go competitive with my way of training, I'd get mopped up because majority of people that do competitive battling use the stat modifiers and the attacks that as a child I deemed "useless". Correct?

Not necessarily. There are competitive sets out there that use only damaging attacks. I think investing in nature / IVs and EVs is the more important thing.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:52 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Dangertrout wrote:
Elrik wrote:

Not necessarily. There are competitive sets out there that use only damaging attacks. I think investing in nature / IVs and EVs is the more important thing.

Right, that's kind of what I was trying to get across. I don't actually competitively battle, but I do keep up with what goes on in the Battle Tower forum, mostly because I do want to try competitive battling one day. But I think that, in addition to what Dangertrout said, stat modifiers have more of a use competitively, especially when a few points in one stat or another can make a difference. Or something like that.

Um, I think I'll leave any additional explaining to someone who knows a bit more than I do about the competitive scene. Hopefully I helped, though!

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:54 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

rex09 wrote:
Dangertrout wrote:
Elrik wrote:

Right, that's kind of what I was trying to get across. I don't actually competitively battle, but I do keep up with what goes on in the Battle Tower forum, mostly because I do want to try competitive battling one day. But I think that, in addition to what Dangertrout said, stat modifiers have more of a use competitively, especially when a few points in one stat or another can make a difference. Or something like that.

Um, I think I'll leave any additional explaining to someone who knows a bit more than I do about the competitive scene. Hopefully I helped, though!

You've both helped, thanks, but you are right rex, I wouldn't mind someone coming along and explaining a bit more in depth. It's like I mentioned in the beginning, I have next to no idea what IVs and or EVs do or how to mold them into what I would personally want. I've read the charts and pages on them on the site, but I just don't understand it really.

And about the stat modifying things, I also understand that, but that's why attacks like Ancient Power and all those other attacks with side-effects are what I mostly favor, I just have trouble letting go of old habits when it comes to training, so I'm still favoring the damaging attacks over pure stat modifiers.

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:05 pm
Profile YIM
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

The thing is, when you want to competitively train a Pokemon, you must first focus on the end result. Decide your nature, your 4 moves, your held item, your ability (if you can pick more than 1), and your EV spread. And then once you are satisfied, go about training it. Just make sure you don't change your mind in the middle of training.

Here's a cut-and-dry example.

I want to have a Starmie, and I want it to be Modest, with Natural Cure, holding an Expert Belt, moveset Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Surf/Psyshock (or Psychic in older games), and a 252 SpA/252 Spe/6 HP EV spread. None of those are level-up moves - all of them are TMs. Therefore I don't need to worry about what level-up moves to teach it, so I can get a Water Stone right away and evolve it. The breeding is the hardest part though - what with the Everstone garbage and all that. Then once you actually hatch a Modest Staryu w/Natural Cure (and has IVs that are actually good), then you can start training it.

Short version: First find out what you want to get in the end, and THEN go about trying to acquire it. Looking at a list of every move the Pokemon learns works well too.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:03 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

DNA wrote:
The thing is, when you want to competitively train a Pokemon, you must first focus on the end result. Decide your nature, your 4 moves, your held item, your ability (if you can pick more than 1), and your EV spread. And then once you are satisfied, go about training it. Just make sure you don't change your mind in the middle of training.

Here's a cut-and-dry example.

I want to have a Starmie, and I want it to be Modest, with Natural Cure, holding an Expert Belt, moveset Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Surf/Psyshock (or Psychic in older games), and a 252 SpA/252 Spe/6 HP EV spread. None of those are level-up moves - all of them are TMs. Therefore I don't need to worry about what level-up moves to teach it, so I can get a Water Stone right away and evolve it. The breeding is the hardest part though - what with the Everstone garbage and all that. Then once you actually hatch a Modest Staryu w/Natural Cure (and has IVs that are actually good), then you can start training it.

Short version: First find out what you want to get in the end, and THEN go about trying to acquire it. Looking at a list of every move the Pokemon learns works well too.

So to put what you said in a way that I would apply it, it'd go something like this;

I want a Pidgeot with Tangled feet, and a Hasty nature, holding a Sharp beak, with the moveset of Twister/Gust/Swift/Whirlwind with the same EV spread you mentioned. And as I mentioned before, the whole IV/EV technique thing is something I haven't come around to understanding just yet. So I don't understand the breeding for good IVs or how to get the EVs spread towards SpA/Spe/HP in the process of training. But if someone's willing to take the time to explain it to me or something, I definitely would be grateful.

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:04 pm
Profile YIM
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I'm fairly positive there is a list on Psypoke's main site for the best locations for EV training (as well as a guide to EV training itself). As for breeding for IVs, the baby will get 3 IVs passed down at random from the parents, and other IVs are just chosen at random. From HGSS-onward, giving one of the parents a Power Item will pass down that corresponding IV to the baby 100% of the time (e.g. if it was a Power Lens, it would copy that parent's Sp. Attk IV). You usually use this if you know that one of the parents has a 31 that you really want the child to have.

And if one of the parents holds an Everstone, there's a 50% chance that the child will inherit its nature. (This is why it is a good idea to have a large stock of Ditto with varying natures.)

Okay, EV training quick explanation. First you'll need a list of what Pokemon give what EVs (like I said above, I'm pretty sure the main site has a list). Any Pokemon that gains EXP from a battle also gains EVs. And EVs aren't split, either - for example, if two Pokemon gain EXP from a Gyarados being killed, they each gain 2 Attack EVs. To find EVs gained for each battle, calculate the following:

[Whatever the base EV gain is - it varies from Pokemon to Pokemon]
if a Pokemon has a Power Item held, it will automatically give +4 EVs in that specific stat if it gains EXP (e.g. if it held a Power Lens, that is +4 Sp. Attk EVs)
if a Pokemon has Pokerus, then multiply the above by 2. For example, Gyarados + Power Lens + Pokerus = 4 Attack EVs and 8 Sp. Attk EVs.

EVs in a single stat cannot exceed 255 and total EVs cannot exceed 510. +4 EVs in a stat correspond as +1 point in the stat, ignoring remainder - therefore, having 252 EVs in a stat has the same effect as 255, so don't waste the extra 3.

Let's use an example. You want 252 Speed EVs. Basculin in B/W gives 2 Speed EVs per kill. The best place to find them is Route 3, where they have 100% encounter rate even in rippling water. Let's also give your Pidgey a Power Anklet.

What you do is you send Pidgey out, then switch to another Pokemon (an in-game team member most likely), and then that will kill it. Pidgey will gain 6 Speed EVs, and the other mon will gain 2 Speed EVs if it hasn't maxed out already. Now you want 252 Speed EVs, right? 252 divided by 6 is exactly 42. Therefore you'll need to kill 42 Basculins in the manner I just prescribed for the Pidgey to gain that 252. (If the Pidgey has Pokerus that'll go down to 21, since you'd be getting 12 EVs per kill instead of 6.) The game does keep track of your EVs, BUT there's no visible place you can check all your EVs, so you will want to develop a counting system. I use a combination of PP counting (since in-game team members will pretty much OHKO anything) and flipping TCG cards over (1 flip-over per kill), but use whatever system works for you.

Did that answer all of your questions or is there still more I haven't covered?

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:22 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, I didn't THINK you were doing it wrong ... :lol:

Like you, I haven't really battled outside the game much. I've always leaned away from any defensive moves as I've found that (in the game) while the defensive move is being used, your opponent can pound the crap out of you. Defensives seem to me to just waste time. Even if you have one that completely blocks anything from hitting you for one turn, the next turn you get smacked. But that's in game.

Now, in B & W, I have gone in and done a few battles over WiFi with random people ... and have been soundly defeated almost every time. But they were hitting me with moves I'd never even heard of, so I suspect they had levelled waaaaaaay up beyond my mere 60's. (Interestingly though, the one time I was about to beat another trainer, they dropped out of the match before I knocked out their last Pokémon and I didn't get credit for the win. Kind of cheap and cowardly, I thought.) The thing is though, if I'd used defensive moves ... I still would have gotten my ass handed to me in every one of those battles.

I've never tried to EV train ... yet. But with the random matchups in the WiFi rooms in B & W, I just might try it. Start up a new team and EV train them. Just for battling, you know?

By the way ... 0 - 8 in those random matchups right now ... :cry:

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:28 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

BarnOwl wrote:
Well, I didn't THINK you were doing it wrong ... :lol:

Like you, I haven't really battled outside the game much. I've always leaned away from any defensive moves as I've found that (in the game) while the defensive move is being used, your opponent can pound the crap out of you. Defensives seem to me to just waste time. Even if you have one that completely blocks anything from hitting you for one turn, the next turn you get smacked. But that's in game.

Now, in B & W, I have gone in and done a few battles over WiFi with random people ... and have been soundly defeated almost every time. But they were hitting me with moves I'd never even heard of, so I suspect they had levelled waaaaaaay up beyond my mere 60's. (Interestingly though, the one time I was about to beat another trainer, they dropped out of the match before I knocked out their last Pokémon and I didn't get credit for the win. Kind of cheap and cowardly, I thought.) The thing is though, if I'd used defensive moves ... I still would have gotten my ass handed to me in every one of those battles.

I've never tried to EV train ... yet. But with the random matchups in the WiFi rooms in B & W, I just might try it. Start up a new team and EV train them. Just for battling, you know?

By the way ... 0 - 8 in those random matchups right now ... :cry:

Your situation interests me the most since it sounds so similar and I can relate. The only way I actually get "competitive battles" is by using a shoddy battle system online. And I get wiped on the floor in those things. I dunno if you still play any of the fourth generation games, but if you do, and you want to battle one another, my SS code's in my signature and I'd be more than happy to experiment with some battles with you. Or anyone for that matter.

Currently right now, I am trying to put together a team that I think would work pretty well in competitive battling, but I'm practically raising the whole thing from lvl1 right now, so I'll need some time.

For those curious, the team is as follows;

-Arcanine
-Pidgeot
-Heracross
-Exeggutor
-Electabuzz
-Lapras (more than likely)

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:01 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I reccomend that you take your team to get rated in Battle Tower. Those guys battle online quite a bit, and know their stuff. Just follow the layout given, and they can suggest ways to improve your team. Or, at minimum, better strategies for the Pokemon that you want.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:28 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah, the Battle Tower section is a good place to go for battling advice. They helped me with a sandstorm team for my friend. ^_^
Although, I think the rating center is for Gen V now and I believe Elrik was playing Gen IV. The Gen IV rating thread (found in the Sinnoh Region forum) doesn't look very active...
I like to browse the articles at Smogon University for team ideas. What I did when helping my friend out was read those, throw something together and then posted what I put together here at the rating center in the Battle Tower forum. I think that was a good way to go. if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have understood half of what they said when the team was rated :P

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:41 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

For ingame, the way you battle is fine. You dont have to go throught the EV training and all that for gym leaders/ elite 4/ champion.

Heck thast how I play. But once they introduced the battle fontier in GEN 3, I realized that if I want to take it on an d succed, Id have to EV train. OF course I didnt understand EV training until gen4, and didnt really start EV training till B/W. For my white game I went through the game, and then when I beat the E4, I started EV training a few pokes. As of right now I got maybe 7 pokes EV trained. Of course not all of them have great IV's, so I might only have 3 good pokes to make a decent team for the Battle subway.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:53 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

IVs don't mean that much in the Battle Subway; at level 100, each IV only affects your stat by 1, so you may lose out on a total of 31 of your stat, which really isn't much.

On the other hand, natures and EVs affect your Pokemon's stats a lot. A maxed out base 60 stat will be nearly the same as a minimum base 120, I think. If you're battling in the Battle Subway, Frontier or online, you'll want to try to manipulate them. Use the Ditto + Everstone and EV spots strategies someone mentioned earlier.

For the training your pokes with only damaging moves, that's absolutely perfectly fine. Most of the Pokemon you fight while training up have minimum stats and will be several levels below you, so you don't need to worry about boosting up your Pokemon. What's more, the boosts only last until the end of the battle, and because you're gonna be having a lot of battles, using boosts just wastes time in each battle. You're doing it right.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:01 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I never worry about IV's or EV's, and I can obliterate any in-game trainer with my regular team for that game. I really don't battle competetively very often. Occasionally, I'll win with a team you described, with all-damaging attacks. Sometimes, that works pretty well. So, no, I don't think you're doing it wrong.

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature.
92% of teens would be dead if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasn't cool to breathe. Put this in your sig if you are the 8% who would be laughing.

Diamond FC: 5199-4994-9415
White FC: 0089-1661-3588

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:06 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thanks everybody, these have really been some great answers, I have a basic knowledge of EVs now and I found the things I need online to help me with my training.

As for the Battle Tower thing and getting my team rated, I'd love to, but I believe Dangertrout is right, because I am still playing on Gen IV SoulSilver, I don't have and don't plan on getting B/W. I don't keep up with the Battle Tower section of the forums yet, but I probably will soon enough, so once I have my end result in mind I'll probably post it in the fourth generation team rating thread, even if it's not very active, there isn't much else I can do but post it in the correct spot anyway, right?

And, anyone that's still playing Gen IV games, if you do want to battle someone, I'm open for it. I honestly don't care if you're a veteran with a near perfect record, or if you're as new to it as me, I'm not going to turn down a single battle, simply for the sake of learning from them all.

So again, thanks everyone, I wouldn't exactly say this is a dead topic, but you've all certainly helped out.

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:38 pm
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Elrik wrote:
Your situation interests me the most since it sounds so similar and I can relate. The only way I actually get "competitive battles" is by using a shoddy battle system online. And I get wiped on the floor in those things. I dunno if you still play any of the fourth generation games, but if you do, and you want to battle one another, my SS code's in my signature and I'd be more than happy to experiment with some battles with you. Or anyone for that matter.

I've registered your SS and Diamond friend codes. I'm currently playing Pearl, but don't have any Pokémon over lv 17. My HG guys are all over lv 80 though. Currently I'm available most evenings, after 5 or 6 pm MST, and Sundays & Mondays are my days off from work. PM me ...

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:34 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

As far as I know, you can get your team rated. I think there's something in the forms that allows you to get a Gen IV team rated...

*checks*

The form

Yeah, you can. Pretty much Gen IV-V is the emphasis, I guess. So now you have no excuses :P

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:37 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Just a thought...

I saw Elrik and BarnOwl talking about maybe trying it sometime. I too, was in you guys' situation. I tried EV training but not IV breeding with it. I now have about seven throw away Pokemon in my PC and I spent about an hour on each one... I guess what I'm trying to say is... DON'T GO EV TRAINING WITHOUT MAKING SURE YOUR POKEMON HAVE GOOD IVS. I don't RNG to get perfect IV's, but I breed with a flawless Ditto so that the Pokemon usually gets at least two pefect IV's from the Ditto. And that's good enough for me (I'm lookin' at you all you RNG people). Anyway, try EV training AFTER you've bred specifically for IV's if you guys are going to try competitively battling :D

Time Zone: MDT (Mountain Daylight Time)
----------------------------------
Trading Thread
----------------------------------

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:55 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Uh... IVs affect your stat by a total of 31 at level 100, which means practically nothing in a game where most people use random IVs as well. A maxed out base 100 attack will be 328 with 31 IVs; that'll drop down to 297 with 0 IVs. You'll maybe miss out on one OHKO, but that's it. In-game, don't worry about IVs too much.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:00 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

dry wrote:
Uh... IVs affect your stat by a total of 31 at level 100, which means practically nothing in a game where most people use random IVs as well. A maxed out base 100 attack will be 328 with 31 IVs; that'll drop down to 297 with 0 IVs. You'll maybe miss out on one OHKO, but that's it. In-game, don't worry about IVs too much.

in game, i agree with you, but I think we were theorizing about if someone wanted to join the competitive battling scene. Once you start getting matches against more serious players, the IVs do start to matter.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]