It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Favorite Generation 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Which generation of the Pokemon games was your favorite?

Generation I - Red/Blue/Yellow.
Generation II - Gold/Silver/Crystal.
Generation III - Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.
Generation IV - Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Generation V - Black/White/(Gray?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine was probably Generation III. Why? It's the most memorable one (for me) and the Pokemon in that game kick @ss.

My order of favorablility (from greatest to least):
1: Generation III
2: Generation IV
3: Generation I
4: Generation V
5: Generation II

Please, post your opinions!

Time Zone: MDT (Mountain Daylight Time)
----------------------------------
Trading Thread
----------------------------------

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:10 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

1st: Gen IV
2nd: Gen II
3rd: Gen V
4th: Gen III
5th Gen: I

Gen 4 had the best storylines.
Gen 2 had awesomeness when you had 2 regions.
Gen 5 has the DW so yeah
Gen 3 is second last only as it is better than Gen 1
Gen 1 im not going to bother going on about

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:56 am
THE POWER IS ON!

1. GSC -- the style of the original games made more user-friendly and complex, and it's still the only set of games that serves as a sequel. GSC's breeding mechanics and having Stat Exp. over EVs are like a godsend. So many important things to the series were introduced in GSC: night and day, breeding, the Dark and Steel types, the Special Defense stat, hold items, etc., etc., etc. While the games are more complex, they also haven't yet reached the later levels of ridiculous micro-managing, which makes them SO MUCH more enjoyable. It is still the pinnacle of the Pokemon series to me.

2. DPP -- really, the only reason it has so much good will with me is because A) I got back into the TCG at this time and B) it introduced Wi-Fi gameplay, which was amazing. I really can't stress enough how important and amazing Wi-Fi is (not to mention backwards compatibility and availability of old Pokemon in DPP itself, after RS), because as a group, Sinnoh probably had the lamest batch of new Pokemon so far. Oh, and having physical and special moves of every type was long overdue.

3. RBY -- while they're really dated, there's still enough nostalgia and goofy programming glitches that I enjoy them enough to put them in the middle. I also liked that RBY didn't hold your freaking hand so much compared to later games in the series. If you started with a Charmander, there wasn't a convenient NPC waiting outside of Brock's gym to hand you a Pokemon that could beat him like there is in BW.

4. BW -- except for N as a character, the story is so COMPLETELY overrated and really the game is just so been there, done that that it took me months just to bother finishing the storyline. What they added to the game (Musicals, Triple/Rotation Battles) kind of fell flat. The only true innovation in BW is the Dream World, and even that was massively disappointing and repetitive busywork. That being said, the new Pokemon overall are pretty awesome... best new batch since GSC, even.

5. RSE -- cool Pokemon, and it added some ideas that I enjoy (namely Abilities and Natures; IVs and EVs can die in a fire). But the Hoenn region itself was a disaster, and the sheer amount of games needed to complete the Pokedex in Generation III was likely Nintendo at its greediest IMO. It was just too hard of a reboot with FRLG being necessary to get older Pokemon. I will never play RSE again, including the inevitable remakes we'll probably be getting in three years or so.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:00 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Since I've never really used Wi-Fi, trading, battling with others, whatever, I'm rating the generations simply on the storylines, the actual maps/areas, and the Pokemon in them.

1. GSC - I am still in love with this generation. I love the areas. I love the storylines. I love going back to Kanto. I love the Pokemon. I love the characters. And this was the first game that I can properly remember playing as a child.

2. RBY - Although I was a bit too young to really 'get' Pokemon when I first got given this game, I can now appreciate the awesomeness of the generation. The Pokemon in it have a bit of everything, and, obviously, don't feel like their running dry on ideas. The storyline is awesome (Team Rocket, ftw?) and the maps are brilliant. And who doesn't love old school graphics and music?

3. BW - I really thought these games were a return to form for Nintendo. I enjoyed the storyline, and the improved graphics systems. The maps looked really cool, and there is plenty to do post-Elite Four. I also liked the fact that you couldn't defeat the Champion straight away. This little stray from the traditionalist path was a nice touch.

4. RBE - I don't know why, but I never really got into these games. I think it's because I was missing GSC so much. I mean, there was no night time, and no radio, and I hated the mascot legendaries. Well, apart from Rayquaza, whom I love. I've grown to respect these a little more with age, but not as much as the others. The Pokemon are pretty cool as well (I'm looking at you, Metagross).

5. DPP - Again, no idea why I just can't get into these games. I just felt like, when they came out, they didn't inspire me. I didn't enjoy playing through them, and some of the Pokemon were just plain stupid. Sure, they're good games, but completely off par when it comes to the other generations.

EDIT: When I refer to maps, I mean the regions themselves. Not the Town Maps or anything...

"You don't sit down and write a wish list about the person you are going to fall violently in love with. It just doesn't work like that."

Stephen Fry

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I've only played in Gens 4 and 5 so I'll try not to be biased.

1: Gen4 - Without doubt. In Gen4 the wi-fi was created and so was the GTS. It's the origin of all wi-fi forums. Also it made RNGing a lot more rewarding and less time consuming meaning more people can do it successfully. Also great storyline with the most ambitious villan and legendaries worthy of the title legendary.

2: Gen3 - Probably only because I got them after Gen4 and the old fashionedness and simplicity amazed me. I thought the idea of having 2 evil teams in Emerald was awesome. However in Leaf Green I was slightly underwhelmed. I didn't even realise the Team Rocket showdown in Saffron was the finale I would have made it last longer rather than leaving every 5 mins to heal my Pokemon but to be fair I did make sure I defeated every goon in all of the many floors.

3: Gen5 - Has it's flaws, it's many, many flaws such as the oversized, pixilated sprites. However with IR battles, IR trades, the ability to trade from your boxes and the Dream World you just can't say no. Had a more sophisticated story line about what is good and evil, right and wrong (yes, I'm a Death Note fan).

4: Gen1 - I've been seeing some of the glitches i.e. MissingNO recently and it' so cool. Unfortunately you can't transfer items to Gen5 so there's no real point and what are you going to do with them on the other Gens now anyway? The legendaries were kind of just scattered though and not really part of the story. Gen1 was a bit of a trial run for Game Freak, Gen2 was better with the story. They got it bang on with Gen3 though and have carried on since.

5: Gen2 - Never played any so I can't say much but I did play Heart Gold. Once again slightly underwhelmed by easily defeating the storyline. I couldn't find the story at one point and then I asked around, went to the radio tower and that was the end, I thought there was more. I must have been used to big finales like on Gen4. I liked the myths and the story of Ho-oh and the Dogs but I was used to God Pokemon and controllers of space and time rather than some flying chicken. (Nah I have a soft spot for Ho-oh)

Lol, mine's a complete reverse of Clawson Experience's.

Check out my trade thread!

Timezone: GMT+0

Cloning Glitch!

Last edited by Justin Thyme on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:51 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I've never played Generation V (I'm one of those fans who think they should stop adding new Pokémon) so I won't be including that one.

1) Generation II - Pretty much what's been said already. Gave the games a massive overhaul with morning/day/night, held items, Dark/Steel, breeding and so on and so forth. Not to mention 100 new Pokémon and a new region to explore in. Being able to re-visit Kanto? 'nuff said.

2) Generation I - The ones that started them all. 'nuff said. I'm so incredibly nostalgic about these games and when Pokémon was big, really big. Nothing will top the first 151 classic Pokémon for me (sure, there's a few later ones that I'm fond of, like Metagross, but the point still stands).

3) Generation III - I only place this above Gen IV because I didn't play DPP much at all. For me, this was the last generation to introduce really cool Pokémon that I'd use regularly in a team. Blaziken, Crawdaunt and Metagross being three examples. Which, by the way, make up for half of my team. The others being Exeggutor, Marowak and Dragonite.

4) Generation IV - As stated above, didn't play DPP much at all. Didn't find these ones particularly engaging at all. But I do love HGSS though. For the record though, I will mention that my DS doesn't have wi-fi on it (don't ask why) so I can't exactly trade or play people online.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:22 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Hoenn is mine. The region's Pokemon weren't the best, barring a few like Zangoose and Rayquaza, but the main reason I love it so much is the region itself. Hoenn provides a true sense of exploration with it's varied, expansive, and treacherous environments. It has a volcano, a desert, a rainforest, wide open seas, and more! In the oceans especially, you feel like you're actually exploring an area rather than moving along a line and attacking things. Dive was awesome in hoenn. It does not exist in Unova.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:30 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Well this is a bit of an interesting topic. If I were going to order the generations as my favorites it'd go as such;

Generation 2:
Everyone has basically said all there is to say about this one. Overhauled the system from Gen 1, had two [TWO!] regions to explore and a bit of a story that spilled between the two. I've never played Crystal but I've heard its got more story to it also. And no one has mentioned this yet [that i've seen], but the reverse compatibility time machine that let you trade with RBY. I never used it but i always wanted to, that's a great innovation. And those new types are completely awesome. For weeks I would dream of finding someone to trade so I could have my very own Steelix/Scizor, and I remember having Umbreon as well.

Generation 3:
Its a close tie between 1&3 for me. But I think 3 manages to win. Yes, they got rid of the radio, they got rid of Kurt and the special pokeballs he made, even got rid of night and day, but that's okay [to me]. Someone mentioned how expansive the areas are and how much exploring needs to be done, and that's true. If it weren't for my cousin playing these games with me only to challenge me later, I would've never known about the very back of the cave around the area where the old guy gives you roar. That cave where you can catch Bagon. I did sometimes feel like the story got a little slow, but it only felt that way after I got rid of Team Magma. The trickster's house was always fun, even if sometimes annoying.

Generation 1:
I first started playing these when they first came out, so the now crammed and seemingly small area of Kanto, seemed so expansive to me that I almost never grew tired of going through it. I never stumbled on the glitches until I was more a teen, but when I did, those were definitely fun too. Catching Mew for no particular reason, using the missingno glitch and catching a lvl 145 Golduck. Or just playing the game as is. As a kid I loved wasting time in the safari zone, spending half an hour trying to catch a Chansey that wouldn't run, but also would stay in the ball, finally discovering just where Dragonair could be found, It was all fun, and I only put it this far down on the list because I just enjoyed Hoenn more.

Generation 4:
DPP, I didn't really enjoy, I didn't mind playing it but I definitely wasn't very impressed. There were these small little areas that seemed like they were trying to combine the expansiveness of Hoenn with the cluttered secrecy of Johto/Kanto, and it didn't work for me. Sure the ice path up north wasn't bad, but it got so boring after a while I felt like there weren't many places to go, the safari zone was all but good to me. And I was actually annoyed when the story revealed three ancient mew-like knockoffs that you had the opportunity of catching. They didn't even look okay to me. Ultimately to even finish this story that I didn't like I borrowed my, at the time girlfriend's team which was about 20lvls higher than mine to sweep the elite four. I was so bored with it that I couldn't even complete it on my own.
HGSS on the other hand wasn't bad to me, I felt like it was a sort of return to home, with a couple more innovations that had been cried out for for many years. The wi-fi battling and trading, I still don't get much use from but it's a nice touch, all the bells and whistles came back, fourth generation pokemon are available for those who want them. The safari zone is back! And CUSTOMIZABLE!! I've had awesome times with this one, probably why I'm still playing it.

Generation 5:
I am one of those people that thinks adding more pokemon isn't the solution, but changing their marketing strategy is. This whole, release a reboot, then a remake since the 3rd gen is starting to put me off. I put up with DPP and I liked HGSS and FR/LG and RSE, but BW I can't do it.
I haven't bought them, I don't intend to buy them, but one of my friends has White, I've seen her play it, I've looked at the environment and pokemon, and I don't know...It feels like they're trying to return to the basics of RBY in these games but with a lot more added on, and I don't feel like it was a good execution. However if they do intend on a remake it has to be of RSE, and that i might be more willing to buy.

An old team I had an idea for. Criticism is appreciated.

SoulSilver-- 1892-9981-0071

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Trading thread-- viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27567

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:42 am
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

My order of favoritism:
Gen II
Gen V
Gen IV
Gen I
Gen III

Don't know why, I just don't like Gen III as much.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]