It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:40 am



Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Hoenn - the Golden Age of Pokemon? 
Author Message
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:57 pm
Posts: 11
I personaly think that the hoenn sieris of games and anime was the most popular in the existanc of pokemon...

Anime wise the sieris was a bit more mature than the sinnoh region. Team rocket actualy put up a fight before getting k-o ed by a thunderbolt, why just the other day i watched an episode with a sick ralts and team rocket was wooping their asses in the first half of the episode. (season 8, episode 17 "do i hear a ralts?")

game wise... theres more legendary pokeomon:

rayquaza
deoxys
jerochi
latios
latias
regirock
regiice
registeel
kyogre
groudon
=======
The battle frontier has the envy of most of the other games, theres a form of battle for EVERYONE here and the way it chalenges you is unmatched not even by the elite four.

=====
contests & customized bases:

contestswhich were installed in the hoenn sieries offer a whole new competition in pokemon for people to take a swing at.

and for secret bases was a way to show off your styles and attitudes towards pokemon to your friends who you connected with.

=====
The hoenn region pokemon is also complemented on having the best new pokemon. and containing my all time FAV: gardevoir! *applauses*

and as a personal oppinion the charicters look MUCH better compaired to diamond and pearl (and definatly hg ss)

Il take the green headband which goes suprisingly good with white hair) over some strange red bag like hat over your head, and not my style of cloathing in diamond either... not sure what girls think about may and dawn but since the boy charicter is randomly customised to differ from the cartoon it has some... interesting results.




in conclusion:

If they made an upgraded emerald version for the DS i would be after it like a bounty hunter on crack.

who else is with me that emerald is TEH ROXORZZZ!!! ?

Its allmost like a second birth to pokemon.


Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:57 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 442
Location: Space, the Final Fronteir
Number one: Spell Checking is nessecary.
Number two: Hoenn was my favourite generation, but most people say otherwise, because It was a change from what they had normally liked in pokemon. I don't belive that, as it was an amazing part in the pokemon games, but the anime started to lack in quality (ie: the Battle Fronteir part).

_________________
I'm back!


Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:14 pm
Profile
Lite Four
Lite Four
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:21 pm
Posts: 3471
Steel_Eel wrote:
Number one: Spell Checking is nessecary.


Image

The "golden age" would be when Pokemon was a fad. Everyone played the card game, everyone watched the show, and everyone bought those stupid Burger King kid's meals to get the toys. The golden age would have taken place from when RB were released to shortly after GS were released. I'm assuming you're very young and RSE was your first generation of Pokemon, because it seems like you're talking from a nostalgic standpoint rather than what the truth is: the golden age of Pokemon was over ten years ago.

_________________
Image


Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:25 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Texas
Krisp wrote:
The "golden age" would be when Pokemon was a fad. Everyone played the card game, everyone watched the show, and everyone bought those stupid Burger King kid's meals to get the toys. The golden age would have taken place from when RB were released to shortly after GS were released.

QFT


Krisp wrote:
I'm assuming you're very young and RSE was your first generation of Pokemon, because it seems like you're talking from a nostalgic standpoint rather than what the truth is: the golden age of Pokemon was over ten years ago


Actually, the "golden age" (in my opinion) is referring to after the release of RBY to a few years after the realase of GSC (Meaning 1997-late 2002). During this period, everyone was Pokemon crazy, and they built up on this hype by releasing other great (while not as amazing as RBY or GSC) games, such as Pokemon Stadium. Everyone bought everything that was Pokemon related, including me. To this day I have quite a lot of Pokemon cards rotting in my attic and about 20-30 plastic figurines from RBY next to them.
-Pegir

_________________
Image
Come over and read my guide on how to make your Dream Team in Gen V. I promise you won't be disappointed (:


Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:00 am
Profile
Lite Four
Lite Four
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:21 pm
Posts: 3471
I would say Pokemon as a fad was definitely dead by the time GS was released, it ended long before 2002. Actually I think it really started to decline a bit after Yellow's release; but that's only as a fad, the series lived on to become more and more popular.

_________________
Image


Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:47 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:24 am
Posts: 77
Location: the other side of darkrai's dark void
Hoenn was a good game and i had fun while playing it but

okjoek wrote:


game wise... theres more legendary pokeomon:

rayquaza
deoxys
jerochi
latios
latias
regirock
regiice
registeel
kyogre
groudon


Im not a big fan of the legendaries and though hoenn did have a lot of legendaries sinnoh had more along with more of what i like to call secret legendaries the ones you cant just run around ingame and find
i did like the addition of contests though i actually gave you something to do instead of just killing everything
one major problem i had with hoenn the landscape itself
multiple waterways a storylline that would kill you if you didnt pay attention backtracking semihidden paths (you know the one by mawvile city i think thats what its called it had the gaming corner) made just getting around difficult and the addition the the extreamly tall grass removing your bike for a while made half of it take longer

still liked the game though these are just some of the afterthoughts toward the game after I lost my emerald

_________________
a participant in the nuzlocke challenge
Image
help my pokefarm expand


Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:37 am
Profile
THE POWER IS ON!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 am
Posts: 1559
Location: Purple Ranger
The "Golden Age" of Pokemon in western countries was 1999-2000 because that was its commercial peak. Even by 2001, the fad stage of the franchise was coming to a close. In 2001-2002, Crystal was one of the worst-selling Pokemon games. The TCG was at its nadir in profitability between the start of the Neo sets until Nintendo took the TCG back from Wizards. Nobody was watching the anime anymore, and the third movie was a disappointment at the box office, with Pokemon 4ever and Pokemon Heroes becoming even bigger disasters. RSE did some damage control but the series didn't really blow up again until DP came along with its Wi-Fi capabilities.

RSE was certainly NOT the "most popular" time in the franchise. As a trio of games, both RBY and DPP outsold RSE by millions, and as a duo GS even outsold RS. The only reason Generation III isn't the WORST selling Generation yet is because Emerald did so much better than Crystal that it gave RSE a slight sales edge.

Now, if you want to talk about taking a fanbase for granted, Generation III was the worst of them all. I shouldn't need a GBA, a Gamecube, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Colosseum, XD, e-Readers, GBA link cables or wireless adapters, GBA/GCN link cables and regular events just to fill my Pokedex. There's also the fact that RS tossed out like 180 of the old Pokemon. If you weren't a fan since the beginning then you probably wouldn't know how much that PISSED OFF LONG-TIME FANS back in the day. It was probably a smart idea for Gamefreak to break away since a lot of the fans who were around since day one were growing up and moving on, but they really did foul to the ones who had still stuck with the series with a reboot as hard as RS. DP is the way to do it: have the main section of the game focus on the new Pokemon, then have the old ones available at the end. That way everyone is happy.

The Hoenn Pokemon themselves are fine and they probably get more crap than they deserve because of GameFreak's shenanigans with FRLG.

_________________


Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:54 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:50 am
Posts: 889
Location: Nova Scotia. Yeah, It exists.
okjoek wrote:
I personaly think that the hoenn sieris of games and anime was the most popular in the existanc of pokemon...


I lol'd.


Seriously, If anything, Hoenn was the worst of all the series. I The only reason everyone likes it so much is because they started playing when it came out. And I hate to admit it, but that's like 80% of this website. And more legendaries doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

Also, Read a dictionary.

_________________
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/15p4jle.png[/img]
FC: Ryan 1462-9617-6058
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmq4lPe6KoI
friends FC black:0261 0441 3891


Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:57 am
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Born in Kanto, schooled in Johto, settled in Hoenn
Frost wrote:
Now, if you want to talk about taking a fanbase for granted, Generation III was the worst of them all. I shouldn't need a GBA, a Gamecube, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Colosseum, XD, e-Readers, GBA link cables or wireless adapters, GBA/GCN link cables and regular events just to fill my Pokedex.


No doubt, Generation III as a whole was terrible for this very reason. But personally, just in terms of gameplay, Generation III sets itself apart. I also enjoyed the third gen contests better than the fourth gen ones. But the biggest thing about generation three that I liked: the fact that Hoenn seems to be the biggest region, and it has the most towns/cities without gyms, which to me, seems more representative of "real life". Now, growing up with RBY and GSC, I certainly hated the fact that a myriad of old pokemon didn't return. Seriously: great Johto/Kanto favorites don't return but crap pokemon such as {geodude} and {zubat} return?!?!? Right, it makes sense, I just haven't caught ENOUGH BATS AND ROCKS to satisfy my pokédex. Obviously. Okay, enough hating on Hoenn: it gave birth to the new box system, which is so much better in both usability and aesthetic appeal over the box systems in Kanto and Johto. Also, it was really cool to dive underwater to explore the underwater areas. I loved finding the cave with all the braille, which unlocked the Regis. (Nobody ever told me about that cave beforehand). And catching Rayquaza was pretty nifty in RS. It reminded me of GSC, where you could catch the other version's mascot at a higher level.

_________________
I play Pokémon. I like physics.


Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:13 am
Profile
Lite Four
Lite Four
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:21 pm
Posts: 3471
PowerPeanut wrote:
I also enjoyed the third gen contests better than the fourth gen ones.


Sure, you could say you liked Hoenn contests better than Sinnohs, but that's like saying you'd rather drown in acid than die in a fire.

Quote:
But the biggest thing about generation three that I liked: the fact that Hoenn seems to be the biggest region, and it has the most towns/cities without gyms, which to me, seems more representative of "real life".


Damn right! I loved those endless routes of water and NOTHING BUT water and constantly checking the map to figure out where the heck I am.

_________________
Image


Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:55 am
Posts: 131
Location: Tall grass
In my opinion, Hoenn was the worst of them all. The thing that bugs me the most is the gigantic water routes with absolutely nothing in them except for a few Tentacool to run into every seven tiles. It seemed like a lot of wasted space. I also noticed that I prefer not to train too many Gen III Pokemon. My team usually consisted of the few Gen I/II Pokemon in the game usually accompanied with a Lunatone or Solrock.

_________________
2x4b wrote:
OCCULAR BLEEDING IS THE ONLY REASON TO IGNORE VIDEO GAMES!

Image


Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:37 am
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:54 pm
Posts: 38
Location: Born in Kanto, schooled in Johto, settled in Hoenn
GollyGreg wrote:
In my opinion, Hoenn was the worst of them all. The thing that bugs me the most is the gigantic water routes with absolutely nothing in them except for a few Tentacool to run into every seven tiles. It seemed like a lot of wasted space. I also noticed that I prefer not to train too many Gen III Pokemon. My team usually consisted of the few Gen I/II Pokemon in the game usually accompanied with a Lunatone or Solrock.


That's EXACTLY what I ENJOYED about it! It seemed like wasted space, but there was also a lot of (inaccessible) space in the land half of Hoenn that was unreachable. Yes, the {tentacool}/ {pelipper}/ {wingull} were annoying, but that's what a REPEL is for. Keep in mind that Hoenn is based on the dichotomy of land and sea. In the sea half, the coders didn't put as many "obstacles" to guide the player to a certain path. I loved this because it felt like quintessential pokémon! I mean, I'd prefer to explore a region on my own, rather than being guided from point A to point B by obstacles to prevent digressing from the predetermined course.

Krisp wrote:
PowerPeanut wrote:
But the biggest thing about generation three that I liked: the fact that Hoenn seems to be the biggest region, and it has the most towns/cities without gyms, which to me, seems more representative of "real life".


Damn right! I loved those endless routes of water and NOTHING BUT water and constantly checking the map to figure out where the heck I am.


DUUUDEE!! Here I thought I was the only one! Most of my peers (the few left playing pokemon in 3rd gen) shared the same opinion as GollyGreg. :D

_________________
I play Pokémon. I like physics.


Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:59 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Columbus, Ohio
RSE is the worst. There's so much water, and no good pokemon to fill it with.

Swampert was about the only good non legendary gen 3.

_________________
Pokemon Trainer since '95.
Platinum FC: 5327 6922 4373
Black FC: 0776 9339 5930

Act Like you know.


Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:45 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Posts: 555
Location: That's between me and the Danes...
Generation III is horrendously underrated. People say that the RSE were the worst (e.g. above), and I disagree. I just finished Emerald last week and it's just as fresh as the other games. Hoenn is one of my favorite regions and Ruby was the game that reinvigorated Pokémon for me.

_________________
Final Black Team:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 829
Location: In a Secret Hideout
(I Can't speel, JK Spell so lay-off ahead of time)
I agree with krisp on the water routes thing, I remember comparing myself to captian ahab searching for a wild wailord (Never found one), even the under water was fun to explore, though it seemed unrealistic,
Go Camerupt! battle the wild clampearl under water, without drowing...

anyway i liked the story line, except for the fact that the bad guys gave up their evil ways after they failed, Its one thing for minions to lose hope but the Evil villians? too wishy washy

Hated the creation of contests, as a star requirement

I thought all the new pokemon were cool, bar the Swalot family, plus so many little things like the trick masters house,
Just a question how many people have seen a guy walking down mount chimmney while you went up on the cable car, it never happened to me again.

krisp were do you get those anime screen shots? I think thats the scene were Ash & co see dawns hair messed up, right?


Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:28 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:55 am
Posts: 131
Location: Tall grass
I thought Krisp was being sarcastic when he said that, but whatever.

It seems pretty unoriginal though. One of the best things I like about the games is that you can explore, but most of the hidden stuff I found were worthless to me. It was just... the same water texture over and over again.

However, I should say that I did like figuring out the Regi puzzle. I liked all the hidden locations. THAT was good. The fact that you had to go through an ocean to get to a few tiny towns. Not so good. (I'm looking at you Pacifidlog)

_________________
2x4b wrote:
OCCULAR BLEEDING IS THE ONLY REASON TO IGNORE VIDEO GAMES!

Image


Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:47 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 67
Location: In Solid Snake's CardBoard Box
About the only reason I think they add more and more new legendarys every series, is to keep the OMG COOLEST POKEMON EVAH I NEED IT IN MY TEAM fantards.

_________________
Image

BEAST MODE


#E3CF57 reference ;]


Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:00 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Posts: 555
Location: That's between me and the Danes...
Well, Hoenn's an island region. What else are you expecting?

Also, I liked the concept of having to dive underwater to reach a city. It's a very unique way of accessing a city for the first time, and I think Sootopolis was cool in that regard.

_________________
Final Black Team:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:32 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Not in Singapore.
Seriously, why is there all this hatred?

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/G ... o_often%3F

Some people should probably read this.

_________________
Image
Hamiforbeeterra's credit to Rocket's Game Corner.
Dunmaorprasecutail's (also: Whakadon) credit (avatar) to Mektar.


Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:18 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:50 am
Posts: 889
Location: Nova Scotia. Yeah, It exists.
There is a lot of hatred because the generation genuinely sucked. Not gonna lie, I speak for anyone over the age of 13. Not that I am ageist, it's just true.

_________________
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/15p4jle.png[/img]
FC: Ryan 1462-9617-6058
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmq4lPe6KoI
friends FC black:0261 0441 3891


Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:02 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Posts: 1312
Ryanh181 wrote:
There is a lot of hatred because the generation genuinely sucked. Not gonna lie, I speak for anyone over the age of 13. Not that I am ageist, it's just true.

anyone who was 13 at the time, or now?? it wasn't the best gen, but it wasn't the worst.... okay, well, in terms of gameplay, probably the worst. but in terms of plot, i'd say DPPt sucked a hell of a lot more. and i usually only enjoy the plot anyways, so...

_________________
Image


Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:12 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:24 am
Posts: 77
Location: the other side of darkrai's dark void
Gallade Roxas wrote:
Well, Hoenn's an island region. What else are you expecting?

Also, I liked the concept of having to dive underwater to reach a city. It's a very unique way of accessing a city for the first time, and I think Sootopolis was cool in that regard.

ya that was a little cool but you still had to check the map every minute to make sure you arent lost at sea
and they killed that idea in all the other games it was such a "minor detail" that it wasnt worth keeping i dont need anymore hms i think fly surf and rocksmash are enough for just about anything
Shoal cave the wierdest cave ever hundreds of gallons of water vanish in a matter of seconds just physics wise
Part of the hatred the removal of the time system that you couldnt just play diring the daytime catch some guys then come back at night and find different guys it is always day in those games

_________________
a participant in the nuzlocke challenge
Image
help my pokefarm expand


Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:10 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Posts: 555
Location: That's between me and the Danes...
Ryanh181 wrote:
There is a lot of hatred because the generation genuinely sucked. Not gonna lie, I speak for anyone over the age of 13. Not that I am ageist, it's just true.

I'm over the age of 13 and I completely disagree with you.

_________________
Final Black Team:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:32 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Not in Singapore.
Seriously, let's analyze these arguments for a moment.

Region- The region was large and spacious, and gave actual activities to do before rushing to the next Gym through the occasional cave. The landscapes were unique- Sinnoh just seemed bland, using the same old "formula" areas. Seriously, as for water routes, one was completely avoidable, and none of the necessary ones lasted over six squares. Sure, it took a while to get to Pacifidlog Town, but it was not necessary for gameplay, and you could just stock up on Repel. Sinnoh had similar problems with the length of Mt. Coronet (since you had to reach the top once) and Routes 116, 117, and 223, all of which were necessary. It also solved the "What should I do after the Elite 4?" problem.

Pokémon- The Pokémon ushered in an era of more detailed work. The argument that "I couldn't catch my Charizard" was nullified with FRLG. Anyone who tries to complete a Pokédex spends a lot of time in-game, and most new fans wouldn't be concerned with it in the first place. You don't need 7 games and 3 consoles to catch them all, you need 5 and Nintendo Events. Sure, that's difficult, but how are you going to simplify it with limited memory and no Wi-Fi!

Gameplay- Why is being cut off such a big deal? Since the games invented a new value to contain a nature, as well as previous information such as gender, trading couldn't happen anyway. If the precious Sinnoh games cut themselves off from Hoenn, would there be Sinnoh-bashing abound? One generation had to separate gender and nature from IVS, so that many more combinations would be possible. Cut-off trading is a side effect.

Seriously, all of the Hoenn-bashers' arguments are moot with FRLG and Emerald. I'm just one of those people who doesn't want to spend hours collecting every Pokémon and trying to get them to Level 100. Nintendo didn't create them for that reason. Nintendo created them for entertainment. (And, technically, monetary gain.) And if a person likes to spend hours trying to catch them all as a source of entertainment, that's okay with me. Gen III just adds more hours to the fun.

_________________
Image
Hamiforbeeterra's credit to Rocket's Game Corner.
Dunmaorprasecutail's (also: Whakadon) credit (avatar) to Mektar.


Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:00 am
Profile
Lite Four
Lite Four
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:21 pm
Posts: 3471
Gallade Roxas wrote:
Ryanh181 wrote:
There is a lot of hatred because the generation genuinely sucked. Not gonna lie, I speak for anyone over the age of 13. Not that I am ageist, it's just true.

I'm over the age of 13 and I completely disagree with you.


I'm over the age of 21 (I win, beat that) and I think generation 3 was the worst of the four generations, but not nearly as bad as people say it is. Sure, Ruby and Sapphire were mediocre games, but they sure as hell weren't terrible.

Generation 3 had a few quirks that made it memorable, but in my opinion is overshadowed by the rest of the generations. I will say though, the generation 3 games were the only sets of games I never completed the national dex in. I got to around 350 and quit because I was tired of transferring them from LeafGreen, it was ridiculous that I couldn't find the older Pokemon in RS. Why should I have to buy every single generation 3 game to complete the Pokedex...? I completed the Hoenn dex, but at 202 Pokemon, that's pretty disappointing. Even GSC had more Pokemon than that, even when you don't count RBY exclusive starters/legendaries/fossils. It was like one step backwards!

Between Red & Blue you can find 151 Pokemon.
Between Gold & Silver you can find 233 Pokemon (RB had starters, legendaries, and four fossil Pokemon that GS didn't have)
Between Ruby & Sapphire you can find 202 Pokemon.
Between Diamond & Pearl you can find 445 Pokemon (without backwards trading with RSELGFR).

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.