It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Breeding Ups and Downs 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ah, well I'm glad I'm on the right track. How am I supposed to know if a Pokemon has decent IVs?

"You don't sit down and write a wish list about the person you are going to fall violently in love with. It just doesn't work like that."

Stephen Fry

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

ClawsonExperience wrote:
Ah, well I'm glad I'm on the right track. How am I supposed to know if a Pokemon has decent IVs?

Do you have access to the Battle Tower Judge in the Battle Subway? (He's looks like an Ace Trainer I believe, first guy you see when you walk in) If he says a stat "can't be better", that means you have maxed IVs in that stat. If more than one stat is tied for first place, he'll list all of them.

edit - I forgot to mention, the judge will also tell you how good your Pokemon IVs are overall. He will either judge it as "Decent", "Above Average", Relatively Superior" or "Outstanding". That is based on the total number of points between all your IVs, so if you get an "Outstanding" pokemon with only one IV that "can't be better", you have a pretty good chance that your other IVs are above 20. However, its not guaranteed to be the case. I once had a pokemon that was "Decent" with 4 maxed IVs. I thought that was pretty funny.

The longer way to check IVs, but more precise: Save your game, feed the pokemon 99 rare candies, use the IV calculator found here: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/iv.php
you can go with less, but the higher level you bring your pokemon, the more accurate the calculator will be.
You can also use the daycare to level it up. The idea is to level it up without gaining EVs, because otherwise you have to keep track and record exactly how many EVs were gained where for the calculator to work.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:12 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Got it, thanks! I shall begin on my project, and get back to you with how it goes.

"You don't sit down and write a wish list about the person you are going to fall violently in love with. It just doesn't work like that."

Stephen Fry

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

GofD wrote:
Well Im gonna start a newbreeding projetc once i gte my magic bounce Xatu EV trained.

My next big project is breeding my sap-sipper marill (which is female) for some egg moves. Im thinking Focus punch maybe? I gotta check out the psydex again for moves. Im hopin to have the same success that I had with my Glisgor (STIll cant believI got good IVs on that one)

gl on you BP =) I don't have a DW marill yet, but it's not that high on my list of priorities atm. I'll have plenty of time to befriend one in the time it takes to finish the 4 BPs I have planned for the near future.

And gl to Clawson as well, of course =)

My Deino project is going well. I'm still trying to get an outstanding one with max speed AND special attack (modest nature) for myself. The game is being difficult, but I still have about 100 eggs left to hatch. I also need a timid one for my friend. Luckily, my ditto is timid, so I can run another batch after this one using the everstone on the ditto if I don't find one among those 100 eggs.
I'm not sure what I want to breed after Deino, but I've narrowed it down to: Phione, Lapras, Relicanth, Wailmer or Dratini. It will mostly depend on if I befriend one of the females from Sparkling Sea. If I don't find any of them, then I'll breed the Phione. I always felt bad for the little guy, spawned from a legendary and yet not very impressive. :(

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:23 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Finally finished ev training my Xatu, which means Breeding project GO!

And already im bashing my head against the wall. . .

Im breeding my DW marill with a DW Delibird that has Focus punch. Now Marill CAN learn focus punch in TM through DPP. Now as I Cant really geta hold of my sisters DS right now, I cant breed it there (That And i still got a TON of scoripi eggs to move about. . . )

First egg I hatch and guess which egg move marill learned? PRESENT! Great, just freakin great. . . I was hopin that I could get Focus punch bred on to it, but it looks like that isnt gonna happen. Well at least ill be able to breed for IV s and nature at least.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:30 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

GofD wrote:
Finally finished ev training my Xatu, which means Breeding project GO!

And already im bashing my head against the wall. . .

Im breeding my DW marill with a DW Delibird that has Focus punch. Now Marill CAN learn focus punch in TM through DPP. Now as I Cant really geta hold of my sisters DS right now, I cant breed it there (That And i still got a TON of scoripi eggs to move about. . . )

First egg I hatch and guess which egg move marill learned? PRESENT! Great, just freakin great. . . I was hopin that I could get Focus punch bred on to it, but it looks like that isnt gonna happen. Well at least ill be able to breed for IV s and nature at least.

aww, that sucks :( a lot of TMs were changed in Gen 5, so every time i plan a BP I check the Psydex to make sure I can still pass the move I'm looking at breeding out.
I'm still in the process of checking the IVs of my latest batch, but I got them all through the battle tower judge and picked out the one I wanted.
Male, Modest, 31 / x / x / 31 / 31 / 31. I EV trained it and checked the approximate IVs with the calculator and Defense is somewhere in the 20-25 range, and I'm ok with that.
So now I just have to level up Erebus (my newly trained Deino), finish checking the IVs of the last batch, add them to my trade thread and then I can think about starting my next BP :P

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:31 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

My marill breeding project is still on going. Currently Im breeding 2 marills from two differecnt fathers. One is from delibird and the other Carracosta (the turtle). HOPEFULLY, this will give me a good Marill after a few hatches.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:30 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

GofD wrote:
My marill breeding project is still on going. Currently Im breeding 2 marills from two differecnt fathers. One is from delibird and the other Carracosta (the turtle). HOPEFULLY, this will give me a good Marill after a few hatches.

*crosses fingers* awesome marill. awesome marill. awesome marill.
.... did my mantra work?

My latest adventure:
Last night I decided to breed DW Aerodactyl. So I set out to SR my female in Entree Forest for Jolly or Adamant nature. First catch: Jolly nature! with crappy IVs >.< but thats ok, I can breed better IVs!
I bred it with a Tranquil so the babies would also know Roost.
After hatching 30 eggs and getting only a couple "Relatively Superior" I decided to modify my strategy. (On a side note, one of those was a Jolly Unnerve Female with max HP IV, which was pretty awesome. This will be the new mother.)
So I took one of the better males, and bred it with my flawless ditto. I will do this until I get a male with 4 or more maxed IVs, and then breed that with my new Unnerve female.
I was able to trade for a Power whateverthespeedoneis last night, so I can lock maxed speed on the male and use the everstone on the female.

This project will probably take a while, since I'm trying to finish training my Zweilous at the same time. (I missed the stupid Royal Unova boat last night. 6 trainers worth of experience missed :( )

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:49 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Dangertrout wrote:
*crosses fingers* awesome marill. awesome marill. awesome marill.
.... did my mantra work?

Hehe thanks danger. I Havent hatched anyof these eggs yet so I wouldnt know. Im taking a wee little breack from breeding to try trading over GTS Negotiations (my net provider has recientky upped the download on net and it seems to help with ym connection a bit). I got WAY to many spares and not enough room.( correction WAY to many marills and not enough room).

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:26 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

:( My BP isn't going very well. I had 5 max IVs between the parents, so I should be able to get some good ones, but it's just not working the way its supposed to. I've hatched 30 so far and only gotten 2 "Outstanding" ones. They had the DW ability, but wrong natures. Despite the fact that I have a 50% chance to get the right nature.
At least I can use the Outstanding female for my next run, provided I hatch a good male with the right nature to hold the everstone. I still have a hundred eggs to hatch, maybe the good ones are hiding in the last box....

Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:09 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

My Marill bredding project has been postponed. I seem to be gettin more Defensive oriented marills. It wasnt really a total lost though. I think I got an "adaquate" marill tha tI can use.

Ive already started me next project , Dratini. Although not one of my favorite Dragons, Its DW ability has Peaked my interest. Im hoppin to get an adamant natured one with dragon dance. Not too hard since I transfered over a male dratini with it. Ive already breed my BW dratini with my druddigon and am currently breedning that dratini with my other dratini. IM probably gonna take one from each group and breed em together.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:15 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Alright, finally got everything hatched from my Aerodactyl project:
I was breeding for DW ability (Unnerve), Jolly nature, Roost egg move and Outstanding IVs. About 210 eggs hatched.
9 were outstanding with bad natures. (2 were female) Of those 9, 4 had unnerve (one was female)
9 were outstanding with Jolly nature. None of these were female >.< and only 3 of these had Unnerve.
Most of the outstanding ones only had 2 maxed IVs, which was kinda weird.
I DID hatch 2 Relatively Superior Unnerve Jolly Aerodactyls (male and female) that between them have 7 maxed IVs. They will be the parents for my next batch, should I choose to do another.

Anyways, I have to check all the IVs on the good ones to see if I have something that suits my nefarious purposes. I guess I don't NEED the DW ability, as I could always use it for my E4 sweeping team in the worst case, but I was kind of hoping for an awesome IV'd DW pokemon out of this.

edit - :frustrated: There's one I'd totally take, even tho he has Rock Head, if only he had max attack. 27-29 is not bad... but I have standards! I may do another batch, but I'm going to take a break and finish training my Hydreigon first.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH. 50 some odd hatches and still no adamant natured Dratini. I have gotten 3 jolly natured ones though , so if all else fails, jolly natured.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:27 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Up: Breeding a Timid Gastly that had Hidden Power Fire. The Gengar is still my best Pokemon to date.

Down: Trying to breed a Zubat to have Brave Bird and Hypnosis, only to find out it can't be done.

I play on the Smogon PO server. If it's not up, then expect me on the Pokemon Online server. I play 5th gen UU, but I am more than happy to play 5th gen OU and Ubers

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:54 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

GofD wrote:
GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH. 50 some odd hatches and still no adamant natured Dratini. I have gotten 3 jolly natured ones though , so if all else fails, jolly natured.

I hate when that happens :( I hope you hatch an adamant one soon!

I'll likely be starting my new batch of Aerodactyls in the next day or two. Hopefully I get what I want this time so I can start breeding something new ^_^

Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:30 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

FINALLY. adamant natured dratiit FINALLY decided to show it self. Dont have any more projects planned right now as my course is taking up a good chunk of my time. Now I just need a movset for my dratini and pokes to makea team.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:44 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
GofD wrote:
FINALLY. adamant natured dratiit FINALLY decided to show it self. Dont have any more projects planned right now as my course is taking up a good chunk of my time. Now I just need a movset for my dratini and pokes to makea team.

Congrats, know it was hell getting the right nature, also, does it seem like the mechanics that determine the nature & what not has been changed a bit from Gen 4 cause I don't even get the same nature from the same egg anymore when I save in front of the Day-Care Man which is just so confusing cause I thought that the egg besides IVs were all generated the second the egg is generated, I don't know...

Anywho, I have previously started a Gothita project to simply breed 1 with Max IVs in HP, DEF & SPATK & a high IV in SPDEF & am pretty much at the last stage of it, I even have it being breed with Calm Mind at birth which is a plus by itself...

The parents combined have Max IVs in everything but SPATK & SPE so I am hoping for some luck for the SPATK which honestly can be just simply high as long as I get max HP, DEF & SPDEF IVs, I am good...

It's Nature will be Bold or if Modest comes first I will just deal with that nature as it isn't exactly that bad...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:49 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah, in Gen V it sets everything (Nature, Gender, IVs, Ability) when you pick up the egg. It makes it far more frustrating now, all the good natured babies have a habit of having bad IVs, meanwhile the bad natured ones are almost flawless :frustrated:
I pick up 150 eggs in one shot and do all the hatching later. I don't like running around doing other stuff while I have stuff breeding in the daycare. I don't know why, its not like I'll be losing moves or money if I abandon them in there for a week. I guess its just that it feels like i've completed a step and am thus closer to my goal.
Step one: collect eggs. Step two: hatch eggs. step four: profit.

I *was* going to start my new Aerodactyl run tonight, but too much gaming lately has left me with fiery pain in my wrists. time to back away from all game systems :(

Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:24 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I don't think I ever really mentioned the theme of my GenV BPs. I collect 150 eggs, and if in that I find a baby that meets a certain criteria I EV train it and it becomes an official member of my E4 sweeping team. The criteria being: good nature, 31 IVs in the nature boosted stat and whichever attack stat is relevant, and 20+ IVs everywhere else except the nature hindered stat. Once I get one that meets that, I stop breeding pokemon of its type. So since I bred an epic Deino, no more dark or dragon types until I finish this team.

I did another batch of Roost Aerodactyl, and got this: Male, Jolly, Rock Head, 17-23 / 31 / 31 / 28-30 / 31 / 31. That was technically cheating, as it was the second batch. Also, I trained it up a bit (without saving) to get a better idea on the HP and it looks like its going to be 18 or 19, so rejected. I'll probably use it for a breeding parent in the future.

Disheartened by the fact that Aerodactyl would not be on my team, and frustrated by the amount of work that went into the silly things (DW abilities are a pain), I decided to postpone my DW Relicanth run and breed Phione.
No egg moves, no replacing of parents, just my bad natured Manaphy and a flawless Ditto with an everstone. I didn't really want a Phione, it just seemed so simple to create. Also, my Manaphy's IVs are below 15 in every stat. So it was unlikely that I would hatch any Outstanding ones. Thus I would be safe from having one on my team.

Or so I thought. In fact I thought that up until I hatched the very last group of eggs. but the 4th from last hatch was: *drumroll* Timid, Hydration, 24-26 / 25-26 / 22-23 / 31 / 31 / 31, HP Dragon

The lowest stat is 22 :frustrated: I had to EV train a Phione AND no other water type is allowed on my team.

That'll learn me. Next BP is something I will actually want; Eevee. I think I'll aim for Espeon or Jolteon.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:22 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well after a break from breeding at the Battle Subway, Ive started a new project-> Larvesta.

I just so happened to haev a female larvesta and a male volcanra. According to the guy in the subway, Lrvesta has good Sp.Def Iv while Volcanra has good Hp IV. Not bad, but I wouldnt mind some SP.ATT Ivs. . Awell. IM aiming for either A modest nature or a timid nature and Max Ivs in SP.ATT and Speed. Gonna take some time, but I need a better nature Than Lax on my Volcanra.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:08 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I've been working on DW eevee's lately. At this point, I'm just trying to hatch a male and a DW female with 4 max IVs. The game is not cooperating. I've hatched 4 outstanding eevees so far, one of which has a bad nature and one of the timid ones has the wrong ability. The weird thing is they only have 1 or 2 max IVs, but the "above average" ones get 3 : /
I think I'm only at box 3 of 5, hopefully i'll start getting some better ones.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

@ Dangertrout = Umm, DW Eevee is unreleased & breeding the Eevolution you obtained from the recent promotion is not going to work because it's male & if it did, it has a 40% chance which is low for anything in pokemon except the in battle RNG...

That being said, I am going to end my Gothita project soon as I now have a DW Vulpix that is Female & was the first 1 I ever found there to boot, I haven't decided who to breed her with but it won't be another Vulpix that's for sure :violin: ...

*sign* I really hate not having the Power Items & what not, they really restrict my chances to a retarded level of luck, meh...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:26 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

DW eevee is available as female through the Pokemon Cafe Forest which has been released in... Japan? Probably Japan, they get everything first. :evil:
Smogon has a handy list of what's been released here, if ever you're curious. They seem to be keeping it pretty up to date. Looks like my starters are still male only. :(

Good luck on your Vulpix project! I haven't run into a female yet, all the good pokemon always end up being male for me >.<

I finally did get a Timid male with 4 max IVs, and it has abysmal defense, so it's perfect for breeding my new army. Now if I could just hatch an equally good female...

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:23 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well I seem to be having trouble getting a poke with good Speed and SP.ATT ivs. Iturning out to be a either or thing.

I decided to check out hatchlings of interest, one is modes tthe other timid. HOpefullt one of those two will be one I want

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:25 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Dangertrout wrote:
DW eevee is available as female through the Pokemon Cafe Forest which has been released in... Japan? Probably Japan, they get everything first. :evil:
Smogon has a handy list of what's been released here, if ever you're curious. They seem to be keeping it pretty up to date. Looks like my starters are still male only. :(

Good luck on your Vulpix project! I haven't run into a female yet, all the good pokemon always end up being male for me >.<

Oh okay, didn't know about that & the list Smogon has isn't exactly up to date(At least they know about DW Staryu's existence now though so meh) though but it's close enough, I made my own list & though it doesn't have the promotion pokemon cause they are japan only & mostly male only, it is pretty much complete...

Oh & thanks, gotta catch it first though, probably after getting a Male 1 with a good move to help out...

Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next