It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Would you consider buying a used pokemon game? 

Would you buy a used pokemon game?
Yes 88%  88%  [ 22 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 25

Would you consider buying a used pokemon game? 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I have always been in the awkward spot of whether or not I would buy a new or used game, for some reason I am extremely paranoid that someone has done something stupid to damage used ones. Recently I picked up used copies of RSE, FRLG, and Heart Gold. I decided to go for games that had a beaten file in hopes of being able to get usable pokemon and items out of them. I am sure people have done this time and time again, but nonetheless I was wondering what your opinion is on this? I would prefer a new game over a used one especially seeing as the newest titles are still relatively close to the price of a new one, but at the same time I am okay with getting a used game if there are not new copies available.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:28 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I dont see whats wrong with buying used ones.. I do it sometimes too

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:10 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have bought pre owned games, the problem is I dont live close enough to place that sells pre owned games to buy them that often. Id have to say no just because the travel outways the cheaper cost on a game.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I've bought plenty of used Pokemon games, but I prefer to buy them outside of the internet. If you've read my counterfeit games thread, you'll know why. I'm always researching counterfeit Pokemon games because they change constantly due to new technology and an increase of piracy, so I'm pretty well aware of what to avoid.

I bought Pokemon Red and Green (JP) used; they were in great condition and they're 100% official. I also purchased most of the older Pokemon games used because I lost my copies I had when I was a kid, excluding Blue (I still have my original copy), Crystal (it's my brothers since I left mine outside and it got ruined), and Yellow (mine spontaneously broke). I've never bought a used 3rd or 4th generation game; I got all of them brand new. I probably would never consider buying a newer Pokemon game (generation 3 and newer) because of the threat of piracy and bootlegging, although spin off games are fine used because they're not pirated as much.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I came across a fake Fire Red cartridge at a Gamestop a couple of months ago, so knowing what to look for when it comes to counterfeits comes in handy.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:35 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Kurushel wrote:
I came across a fake Fire Red cartridge at a Gamestop a couple of months ago, so knowing what to look for when it comes to counterfeits comes in handy.

Same situation only longer ago & I had no idea until it was too late of course...I couldn't even use any AR codes on it at all no matter what version the codes were for which is what gave it away for me though...

I'm never buying another used game again though as I shouldn't even need to as the only 4th Gen game I don't have is Heartgold & I am going to get it new if anything...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:53 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have no problem buying used games at all. I know how to spot fake cartridges so buying a fake wouldn't be a problem. Though I did buy a used Silver version but the guy at the store didn't tell me that the battery was dead and couldn't hold a save anymore, that or didn't know that the battery was dead.

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:06 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Same thing happened to me.. the Fire Red I bought was a clean one except for the not able to save problem..

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:29 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

i think Krisp wrote about how to fix that battery issue in the Gen II forum, so try looking there.

As long as you make sure the game isn't fake, there's absolutely nothing wrong with buying used. I've never tried it, but I always wanted to get a used one, just to see what the other save file had on it ;-)

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:17 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

It's most likely fake, because generation III games do not save to a battery (which is why my thread is in the generation II forum.)

There is a possibility that it's not saving correctly due to physical damage though, if that is the case you'll most likely get the error "1M sub circuit board is not installed." or something like that. If it went through the wash it's possible the board is too badly corroded to function correctly. I've had games like that (read: Pokewalker :( )

Kurushel, I've also seen fake copies of generation 3 games at Gamestop. They were Ruby and FireRed Versions. It's pretty sad that bootlegs are so common they even find their way into common used game stores such as Gamestop, another reason I am cautious of buying used Pokemon games.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yeah, it's pretty lame. I told the clerk working there that it was fake, so he tried it out using a DS. He said it saved correctly, but the cartridge was off-color and the label wasn't foil. Either way, my wife has Fire Red, so I wasn't going to get it. I just figured I'd let the guy know.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:22 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I know how to fix the battery I have read Krisps's post several times, it is just a pain in the ass to get into the damned cartridges. I was in another video game store after someone traded in some games and I saw a fake Pokemon cartridge. I didn't tell them because the guys were jerks. The reason I know it was fake is because the cartridge was off color,and not the off color that would be because of sitting in the sun or something like that.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:35 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I honestly dont know how to tell what a fake is, which I guess is pretty bad when you think about how many of my games where "used" ( Ive since traded them in to eb games for credit, which i probably wont be using until the next purple moon). That said, and as I sad in my previous post, Id buy the "new" pokemon instead of the "used" pokemon, cause it's cheaper for me in the long run.

Also, whats harder to clasify as a "fake", GBA or DS games? I ask this cause last time I was into an EB games, they handed me a phamplet of games that they where lookin for(DS,WII,Xbox) and they wanted everythin that came with the game origionly, while when I traded in my GBA games (some didnt have instructions, and all didnt have boxes), it was no problem.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:23 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If you don't know how to tell a real or fake, I don't recommend you to get used ones

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:38 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Tbh, besides what I previously stated in my last post, I only buy new games mainly cause I don't like used goods & like the instruction booklets & boxs/cases for the games & what not but everyone else in my family & that I know likes to buy used games over new games in general...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Lawence Codye wrote:
Tbh, besides what I previously stated in my last post, I only buy new games mainly cause I don't like used goods & like the instruction booklets & boxs/cases for the games & what not but everyone else in my family & that I know likes to buy used games over new games in general...

You could still get the booklets and original cases, I understand that you feel new goods are better. I feel the same when the price ranges are the same.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well , after my FR experience I never thought of getting used games. Other then the condition of not only the catridge but the box , booklets , and stuff , it doesnt feel clean at all. Its like trading something of paramount importance to someone else for the same thing.. it just does not feel the same.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:14 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Seeing as I don't like restarting my well-established games, but I love playing the games through again and the fact that the prices on these games never goes down, I can't not buy used games.
I'm too poor to buy new games.... T-T
It's okay, I'm a student, it's expected.

xox

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:21 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Classic K wrote:
You could still get the booklets and original cases, I understand that you feel new goods are better. I feel the same when the price ranges are the same.

Not for the handheld systems before the DS & even if I do as someone before me pointed out, it just doesn't feel the same...also, I don't like to buy used games cause the prices for the Pokemon games I want tend not actually be enough of a profit for me to even consider doing such a thing...

zPIRATED wrote:
Well , after my FR experience I never thought of getting used games. Other then the condition of not only the catridge but the box , booklets , and stuff , it doesnt feel clean at all. Its like trading something of paramount importance to someone else for the same thing.. it just does not feel the same.

Yeah, it really doesn't & I hate getting my games in already messed up condition like it will have scratch marks on the cartridge, the sticker like paper with the title info on it will be tarnished, there would be actually sticky dirty stuff on some of the cases & that stupid price sticker they like to put on the cartridges for I don't understand what purpose when there are other ways, etc...

Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Most of my cartridges are used. It's kinda fun to see what the last person did, and what they left behind. and you get extra items you didn't have to work for :P (this matters when you've maxed the hours on a specific game and really don't want to start it over because you need another *insert kool one-shot TM name here*.) I always get at least one new cartridge of the version, but after that I'll usually just grab a used copy, pilfer the useful stuff, and then start a new file on it. On the down side, I can't be 100% sure that the pokemon / items on the used games are legit. I personally don't care (when it comes to items), but it affects trades with other people who might.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:16 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I don't see a problem with used games. My local Gamestop offers a 1 year garuntee. The manager said that I could drop the cartridge in the toilet and return it no questions asked. He was telling the truth. I usually buy new pokemon games for that I buy them immedietly after they are released. Older pokemon games are bought new.

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:35 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I've actually bought quite a few used Pok

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I bought my SoulSilver used, and it was cheaper. I also got used Blue, Silver, Sapphire, and LeafGreen free from friends/neighbors.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]