It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 EV training techniques 
Lite Four
Lite Four

I'm curious to know everyone's EV training techniques, maybe someone has better ones than I do (EV grinding is boring and I like to save as much time as possible.)

DPP: Power items, obviously. I have PkRs thanks to someone who traded me an infected Pokemon online. I use my AR to make wild Pokemon appear that give you +3 EVs and make them only level 1 to reduce the amount of EXP I get. Overall, this saves me a lot more time than doing it 1 by 1 and fighting 510 different Pokemon.

Attack: Machamp, very annoying because he gives you so much EXP
Defense: Golem
Special Attack: Typhlosion OR Gardevoir
Special Defense: Blastoise
Speed: Pidgeot

I might switch it around a bit, and usually my Pokemon are level 9 or 10 when they are fully EV trained. I wouldn't have it any other way, I usually WiFi battle with Pokemon under level 10.

Emerald: Because nobody EV trains in the other games. Basically a similar technique; Macho Brace instead, though. Power items don't exist yet. :'( I have never caught PkRs in generation 3, so it's impossible for me to get the double EV boost, which is a real bummer. I use the list above ^ for EV training, except instead of using an AR DS I use a Gameshark SP. It pisses me off that I can't find any level codes that actually work, so I'm forced to fight level 2-3 Pokemon outside Oldale Town. Also Pokemon hatch at level 5 instead of level 1 so my Pokemon are a little over leveled when I'm done (20ish) but it doesn't bother me that much. I don't have any rare candies to rare candy them to very high levels to calculate their IVs, so the higher the better.

Fun fact: when I was a noob at EV training, I defeated 255 Spindas and 255 Whismurs with my Vaporeon. I used a paper and pen to tally how many Pokemon I beat. This was back in 2005 though when EVs and IVs were fresh knowledge to me. oh and for the record my Vaporeon's SpAtk IV is 2.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

4th Gen, I do pretty much the same thing as you. I love Action Replay.

Unfortunately, I don't have it for Emerald. But I do have Pokerus. So I use an Exp. Share (or buff up with Rare Candies) and go:

HP: Rusturf Tunnel (I usually do this last so that the Pokemon can beat the Whismur by itself)
Attack: Route 121 (has Mightyena, Shuppet, Poochyena)
Defense: Fiery Path (hey, it's not great, but at least it's decent...)
Special Attack: Route 113
Special Defense: Water Routes (they need something other than Tentacool...)
Speed: Meteor Falls (past the waterfall, and surfing. I'll get some Attack EVs if I see a Solrock)

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:36 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I use trainers for most of my EV training. I find it a lot easier than wild pokemon because you can face multiple pokemon in one go, and you don't have to spend time finding the right pokemon to battle unless its one that appears in a spot 100% of the time. Some useful trainers that give a lot of EVs in one stat (EV's given are assuming PKRS and the appropriate power item):

- The cowgirl south of Solaceon, in front of the mudslide, has 5 Bidoof (50 HP) (DP only)
- Lance's rematch team (after all 16 badges) has Gyarados, Salamence, Garchomp, and Dragonite, which all give a lot of Atk EVs (54 if only facing the four mentioned, 70 if you face Altaria and Charizard as well)
- Jasmine's rematch team contains Metagross, Steelix, Skarmory, and Bronzong, which provide a fair bit of Def EVs (48 if only facing the four mentioned, 64 if you face Empoleon and Magnezone as well. Note that Bronzong will always produce 1 SD EV in addition to the 5 Def)
- There is a fisherman on that bridge west of Eterna city with 6 low level Magikarp (60 Spd)

There is really no one I've found who gives a lot of EVs in the special stats, unforutnatly. If you don't mind growing some Tamato berries, you can just give your pokemon the appropriate power item and battle the Speed EV fisherman I mentioned, which provides 48 EVs in the stat you want.

There may be some other trainers with higher outputs in a stat, like the stat trainers in the Platinum battleground (Cheryl and Riley and the rest), but I don't like using those because it is harder to get multiple battles in a row with them.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:27 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

When I do EV train I essentially do the same thing you do Krisp. Though mostly I just Sav, I KNOW IMMA HACKER ZOMG!, to save my butt the most time. I mean ARing the wild Pokemon that give +3 in a stat in HG/SS is the best way to do seeing how it lakes the VS. Seeker. Another way I do it slightly faster I find a Pokemon that gives EVs in two stats that I am working on, like Speed and Special Attack. So that way I kill two birds with one stone. Darkrai is a good example as it gives one Speed EV in tandem with two Special Attack EVs.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]