It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Hoenn - the Golden Age of Pokemon? 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Gallade Roxas wrote:
Ryanh181 wrote:
There is a lot of hatred because the generation genuinely sucked. Not gonna lie, I speak for anyone over the age of 13. Not that I am ageist, it's just true.

I'm over the age of 13 and I completely disagree with you.

Coming from the guy who has Gallade in his Name.

What I'm trying to say is that anyone around that general age now, was likely introduced to pokemon when RSE came out, that's why they like it so much. Maybe it's just me. Maybe that's why I like GSC and RBY more, that's what I was introduced to when I was a kid.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:47 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ryanh181 wrote:
Gallade Roxas wrote:
Ryanh181 wrote:
There is a lot of hatred because the generation genuinely sucked. Not gonna lie, I speak for anyone over the age of 13. Not that I am ageist, it's just true.

What I'm trying to say is that anyone around that general age now, was likely introduced to pokemon when RSE came out, that's why they like it so much. Maybe it's just me. Maybe that's why I like GSC and RBY more, that's what I was introduced to when I was a kid.

yup. probably. that's the main reason i like it so much.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:49 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Ryanh181 wrote:
Gallade Roxas wrote:
Ryanh181 wrote:

But you see, I was introduced to pokémon from RBY, and my most favorite games are GSC, with RSE in close second. Hoenn was far from the "Golden Age" of pokémon, but it certainly wasn't the "Dark Ages" people try to make it sound like. Seriously, I just restarted my Emerald version (after sending my event pokemon to FireRed), and it's pretty satisfying. What irks me the most is, as...umm...Crisp said...., it was one step backwards in terms of pokémon available.

But really, this "discussion" is nothing more than an opinion-based exchange, so nobody's going to convince a single soul to change their opinion on Generation III.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:03 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I would agree that the "Golden Age" of pokemon would be only during the first 2 gens. In my opinion gen 3 was the worst gen of pokemon.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:26 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Crisp wrote:
I'm over the age of 21 (I win, beat that)

Ahem, BARNOWL, GET OVER HERE. :D

BEAST MODE

#E3CF57 reference ;]

Last edited by Frost on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

No need to quote the entire post.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:11 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I agree with Crisp (Like the name change, btw), It was the worst, but only because it wasn't really as good as any of the others and had much fewer Pokemon available in the main games (R/S). It wasn't really that terrible, it had much improved graphics and several important improvements that aren't really appreciated (Natures, EVs,IVs, etc.). Personally, I think that the main reason it gets so much hate is because it doesn't have as much nostalgia value for most players and all the new additions were in a different style to the first two gens; where GSC was a sequel to RBY, Gen 3 was a completely different place and game, if you see what I mean.

I completed the Nuzlocke Challenge,give it a go!
FC (Rackham): 2751 3755 8475 (HG)

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:43 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

So far, most of the arguments against Hoenn are only for those who try to capture all 386 in those games. Are there any other arguments out there that aren't, other than numerous water routes?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:28 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

What's with the hatred? Sapphire was what really got me hooked on Pokemon. I actually started with Yellow and Silver, but Sapphire was the first that I actually finished (yeah, I have a short attention span; I start the game over before I get done, for some reason. >.<;). It also felt faster paced to me, but that could have been the shoes. RSE were my faves, if only because they were the ones that sealed the deal for me.

Lol, I sound like a drug addict.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:00 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

hoenn definatly wasnt the golden age but it was pretty good game wise spin offs might have been some f the worst just to have a worst
cant speek for those other than myself but crystal is what hooked me to pokemon

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:45 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Nosepass wrote:
So far, most of the arguments against Hoenn are only for those who try to capture all 386 in those games.

Not really, we just think that they were better than the copious amounts of hate they're getting would imply. Do we really need one good reason to say we liked RSE?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:21 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I posted that from a pro-Hoenn point of view.

But, RSE gets too much hatred on this forum. I am one of those people who liked it.
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/G ... o_often%3F
Read this article for some defenses.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:53 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sorry, looks like I've misinterpreted ...

(facepalm)

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:40 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Nosepass wrote:
Seriously, why is there all this hatred?

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/G ... o_often%3F

Some people should probably read this.

I never played the two originals. This isn't why I hate it. xD

To me it just seemed... empty. I liked Firered/Leafgreen more than RSE, but that's my opinion. Your millage may vary.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:35 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

RSE added much to the franchise, it certainly wasn't the "Golden Age" of Pokemon (that is probably Gen I or the time between Gen I and II, when Pokemon peaked in popularity) but it still changed so much.

While there wasn't much connecting RSE to previous generations, except the older Pokemon that made it in the games, until FRLG. (Seriously, you probably could've put Digimon - Ruby Version on the cover and none of us would've known it was a Pokemon game) It was a gigantic reboot to an old system that obviously had it's issues, something the games needed.

RSE seems a little to "wide-open" to some people, and that's because it was sort of easy to get lost just roaming around, but who cares? The open spaces gave some people the sense of wonderment and exploration. Also, if you were really having issues getting from point A to point B in the water routes you could use your PokeNav, something that the game suggests you do many times.

Some people also whine and complain about the unoriginal Pokemon. All I have to say about this is "lol wut?" Have you seen some of these designs and compared them to others? RSE introduced new type combinations and new concepts, we got a brontosaurus ( {tropius} ), a dragonfly ( {vibrava} and {flygon} ), legendaries that have a real mythological basis ( {groudon}, {kyogre} and {rayquaza}). Plus, several of these designs bread new ideas and designs in Gen IV ( {sableye} -> {spiritomb} ) and I won't be surprised to see new Pokemon based on Hoenn Pokemon in Gen V.

The whole whining and complaining about the availability of Pokemon in Gen III is also quite lame, sure you needed multiple games to "Catch 'Em All" but you've always needed to do that (granted, Gen III took it to a new extreme).

Overall, Gen III added much more than it took away from the franchise, it is the basis of the current games (the exception to this being the Special/Physical seperation).

EDIT: Fixed the fails.

Last edited by Magus on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:52 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm over the age of 22 =p

They definitely aren't THAT bad of games, just the worst ones in terms of the main part of the franchise because to a lot of the older people, they deviate from the old pokemon they knew and loved. Personally, I started playing when RB came out, way back in the day, I was one of the pioneers of the games. People who are older now just generally like the RSE games the least. Like the article says, Gen III did introduce many new concepts that were improved upon by Gen IV, but Gen IV did it better.

Personally, I much prefer Sinnoh to Hoenn, and I could go the rest of my life not playing RSE ever again, but I will play RBY, GSC, DPPt again, likely more than once. The old games bring nostalgia (obviously this is age based) and gen IV brings everything so far in the games all together.

I did enjoy the story of Gen III, but face it, all the pokemon games are generally slightly changed remakes from the previous ones. They add new features and change some mechanics, but the story remains largely the same. You're a kid, you have pokemon, you face gym leaders, become the champion, defeat some evil team bent on world destruction or some horrific change, and then you find these legendary, mythical pokemon that have only been rumors for hundreds of years because you're special.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on the games at all, I still play and love them, but the story does not stray too far from one path. There's only so much you can change before it becomes a different game entirely.

Maybe they will make a pokemon game where you can play as the evil leader one day. Would people hate it? Yes.

Bottom line is: people have opinions, accept them, but don't make them your own just because someone else says to. You like what you like.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:58 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
For me what I didn't like about Gen 3 (which is why I am now saying that it was indeed not the Golden Age of Pokemon but just simply a stepping stone for future Pokemon games imo) is;

1. As mentioned in various previous post, the outrageous long but empty water routes & also to note was that there wasn't nearly enough to do from 1 part of the sea to another, there just wasn't...

2. Dive only because they didn't do enough with it imo I mean the areas you go to with Dive were some of the deadest areas I ever been to in a pokemon game to date...

3. The way that the story forces you to have to use Dive(epecially in Ruby cause it's just kind of weird) multiple times is sickening & is the only reason I actually didn't like going through Sapphire besides (1.)...

4. Not including pokemon from other regions at this stage in the franchise is suicide as far as I'm concerned I mean as previously mentioned, there should not be a need for so much stuff to complete the pokedex in a single game including all the Hoenn & Kanto remake game...Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Firered & Leafgreen, shame shame shame...

5. Other things that are not even a issue here really so I won't mention them...

But I believe that Gen I was the Golden Age of Pokemon imo, meh...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:41 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

In my opinion, Hoenn was the best region. I loved the pokemon, Diving was awesome and it introduced so much new stuff like contests and battle frontier. Sure it had its faults, too much surfing, not the greatest storyline etc. But it was good, plus it was before the anime went completely downhill. I like all the pokemon games, Sinnoh...i think the only thing i didnt like about it was the anime. And some of the pokemon and places etc. but Platinum was sweet, mainly because of the distortion world. Johto was good too...but not as good as Hoenn. Kanto was where it all started so naturally, it had faults and greatness, but like i said, i still like Hoenn the best. Thats why i bought Emerald three days ago :) and because i had never owned a Hoenn game, only borrowed.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:28 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Hoenn quite possibly had the best overworld map (taking you through a desert, a huge amount of sea, a volcano, an ash route, beaches) and gave us the best route I've seen so far in the series: route 119. As an overworld-aficionado, Hoenn earns a place in my heart for having what I think is the best map design.

Until then... *Sigh*

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:42 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

i think hoenn based games were probable the best games they made i played them so many times and enjoyed them so much! i did enjoy gold quite a lot as well, i didnt really enjoy sinnoh that much tbh, and kanto was pretty decent, if i had to order the regions it would be like this:

1. Hoenn/Jhoto
2. Kanto
3. Sinnoh

The more i think about it the more i like Hoenn best :)

Check out my trading forum: http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31150&p=496756#p496756

Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:04 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Refinnej wrote:
What's with the hatred? Sapphire was what really got me hooked on Pokemon. I actually started with Yellow and Silver, but Sapphire was the first that I actually finished (yeah, I have a short attention span; I start the game over before I get done, for some reason. >.<;). It also felt faster paced to me, but that could have been the shoes. RSE were my faves, if only because they were the ones that sealed the deal for me.

Holy crap same. I played gold, red, blue, and yellow before I even touched Sapphire and I didn't really love the pokemon series until I played Sapphire. The region is just so much better, I loved the pokemon, and it just seemed caster paced. Also, everyone bragging about how old they are, honestly it's just kind of sad you put so much effort into pokemon. I'm 13. I've never completed a pokedex, I've never ev trained a pokemon, and I've never trained a pokemon to level 100.

Sapphire: Blaziken Sololocke (heading for Wattson)
Platinum: Regular (preparing for Candice, grinding up my new Glaceon)
Soulsilver: Regular (exploring Kanto and fighting random trainers to gain some levels to then fly around and take on all the gyms super quickly)
White: Regular (post-game crap, not doing much currently, because most of the post game content is battles that I'm not ready for and stuff that requires HMs I don't want to use)

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:30 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

xerovene wrote:
Refinnej wrote:

Holy crap same. I played gold, red, blue, and yellow before I even touched Sapphire and I didn't really love the pokemon series until I played Sapphire. The region is just so much better, I loved the pokemon, and it just seemed caster paced. Also, everyone bragging about how old they are, honestly it's just kind of sad you put so much effort into pokemon. I'm 13. I've never completed a pokedex, I've never ev trained a pokemon, and I've never trained a pokemon to level 100.

haha im a bit older than u but ive never completed a pokedex, never ev trained a pkmn or trained to lvl 100!!

Check out my trading forum: http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31150&p=496756#p496756

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:43 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

ya, i never completed a pokedex, but i got a level 100 salamence on my ruby... ruby got me hooked on pokemon.

then my sister erased the file and i lost my salamence..... i was really sad.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:59 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

[color=olive]I don't have anywhere near as much hatred or love for the Hoenn region that so many others seem to express. I personally never completed Emerald (the only copy of 3rd Gen I have ever owned and will ever own). I acquired only 5 badges if my memory serves me correctly before I dropped the game altogether. The story didn't catch me at all, Team Magma and Aqua were far too mentally ill for me to take seriously and the Pok

Created unique Trainers? Gym Leaders? Elite 4 members or Champions? Show them off here!

Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:50 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
I'm throwing in my 2 cents-

In my opinion, I loved Hoen and generally despised DPPt. Granted, I wasn't around for RBY or GSC, but I've played them. I don't know if this makes sense, but I actually thought FrLg was a downgrade (graphics-wise) from RSE. I liked the secret bases, the teams, and the days of nostalgia. (It was my first pokemon game and I have over 900 hours on it. ;P) There are also other things I can't explain, and anyone who says it was the wost region.... it's a matter of opinion. -_-'

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:17 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

OK this may anger a few people so I apologize in advance.

To state that Hoenn was the "Golden age " of pokemon is laugable. The Golden age of pokemon was either deada or dying by the release of the first 2 games of gen 3. By the time emerald came out, One could say that the golden age of pokemon was defiently OVER AND DEAD. Now I was 6 or 7 whe npokemon first came out and from RBY to GSC, There was a defiant "Golden Age" of pokemon. After that it went from "AHH COOL YOU LIKE POKEMON" to "Yeah ok, pokemon is fine" to "You actually like pokemon??".

Now dont get me wrong, I like pokemon, and I did enjoy Gen3 because of the ares you could go, Diving was a high point, you ACTULLAY had a LARGE body of water to surf on, and the pokemon werent too shabby. Add the factt that Saphire was my first game ( years of naggin for a gameboy for X-mas FINALLY paid off) and that my parents said they would NEVER buy either of them. Plus the pokemon series in generall has some of the BEST play value. Name another game you can get over 900Hrs of gameplay.

IM now 20, and can say with the most positive of knowledge, that Hoenn is NO WHERE CLOSE to being the "Golden age" Pokemon. That age was during the 90's, and thats long gone. Now if you'd excuse me im gonna go fortify myself befoer the angry mob gets here....

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next