It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:49 pm



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Why are the types unbalanced? 
Author Message
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:03 pm
Posts: 77
I've heard this from many different people, but I don't really understand why.

I know the grass type is nerfed, but I don't really know much about this besides that.

_________________
I don't know what I'm talking about. Don't mistake anything stupid or apparently provocative for trolling, as it is, in fact, based on my ignorance.

Avatar credit to pokemon_god.


Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:50 am
Posts: 889
Location: Nova Scotia. Yeah, It exists.
well for me, It's the whole Psychic-Dark-Bug thing. Why is bug good against dark? Why is Dark good against Psychic and not the other way around? Also, Dragon is good against itself? C'mon. The whole typing thing is (or, should be) based on normal physics:

Water Conducts Electricity, Therefore: Electric > Water
Fire Burns Grass, Therefore: Fire > Grass

There are a lot of things about the typing that are messed up, but I can't explain them all. You'll just have to wait for Frost to post in here. Which is inevitable.

_________________
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/15p4jle.png[/img]
FC: Ryan 1462-9617-6058
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmq4lPe6KoI
friends FC black:0261 0441 3891


Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:19 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Posts: 555
Location: That's between me and the Danes...
Nothing's perfect.

IMO, all the typing works fine. You should see how imbalanced the types were in Generation I.

_________________
Final Black Team:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:55 pm
Posts: 91
Location: Johto
Ryanh181 wrote:
well for me, It's the whole Psychic-Dark-Bug thing. Why is bug good against dark? Why is Dark good against Psychic and not the other way around? Also, Dragon is good against itself? C'mon. The whole typing thing is (or, should be) based on normal physics:

Water Conducts Electricity, Therefore: Electric > Water
Fire Burns Grass, Therefore: Fire > Grass

There are a lot of things about the typing that are messed up, but I can't explain them all. You'll just have to wait for Frost to post in here. Which is inevitable.


Other things I believe don't make sense, why is it electric attacks aren't very effective against steel? Even though steel conducts electricity.

_________________
Platinum TeamImage HeartGold TeamImage
"La tristesse durera toujours... (The sadness will last forever...)" - Vincent Van Gogh


Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:42 pm
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Gallade Roxas wrote:
Nothing's perfect.

IMO, all the typing works fine. You should see how imbalanced the types were in Generation I.


This being said at least they could have actually done a little more to make some types fit in competitively a least a little better after that you know...but they really didn't, truly a tradegy imo...

That being said, Gen I's most memorable tradegy for me type matchup wise was Bug & Poison weakening each other, it made using Caterpie & the Nidorans against their weakness of Poison & Bug respectively a little harder clearly(at the beginning portion of the adventure that is)...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:56 pm
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Surfing with Pikachu
Lawence Codye wrote:


This being said at least they could have actually done a little more to make some types fit in competitively a least a little better after that you know...but they really didn't, truly a tradegy imo...


My sentiments exactly, other things that don't really make sense to me are as follows:

Flying>Grass (Birds eat seeds, yes, but not actual plants.)
Ground>Poison (So if a snake bites you, you should rub dirt on the wound?)
Water>Rock (Is erosion really a good enough reason for this?)
Psychic>Poison (You're dying? Think harder! Think the poison out!)
Bug>Dark (Say what?)

I also think there are plenty of types which SHOULD be weak against certain types. Pollution kills sea creatures, the recent oil spill is proof of this, so why isn't poison strong against water?


Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:14 pm
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
KeroTheInvincible wrote:
other things that don't really make sense to me are as follows:

Flying>Grass (Birds eat seeds, yes, but not actual plants.)
Ground>Poison (So if a snake bites you, you should rub dirt on the wound?)
Water>Rock (Is erosion really a good enough reason for this?)
Psychic>Poison (You're dying? Think harder! Think the poison out!)
Bug>Dark (Say what?)

I also think there are plenty of types which SHOULD be weak against certain types. Pollution kills sea creatures, the recent oil spill is proof of this, so why isn't poison strong against water?


That pollution thing is funny but as for everything else;

1. Agreed
2. I agree & disagree
3. Yes it is...otherwise Rock doesn't have many weaknesses, how about Fighting>Rock being more debatable
4. I ain't touching this one
5. Agreed though I have a reason for this to make sense, it is actually not enough to justify this

That's all I got...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:55 pm
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Surfing with Pikachu
Lawence Codye wrote:


That pollution thing is funny but as for everything else;

1. Agreed
2. I agree & disagree
3. Yes it is...otherwise Rock doesn't have many weaknesses, how about Fighting>Rock being more debatable
4. I ain't touching this one
5. Agreed though I have a reason for this to make sense, it is actually not enough to justify this

That's all I got...


For the Fighting>Rock thing, I have a one move argument, Brick Break. Breaking bricks and boards is actually quite common in martial arts competition.

Erosion isn't instantaneous, so I still don't think it makes sense. Even without the water weakness, rock types still have 4 weaknesses, 14/17 types have less weaknesses than that, so I don't see much problem removing it.


Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:45 pm
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
KeroTheInvincible wrote:
For the Fighting>Rock thing, I have a one move argument, Brick Break. Breaking bricks and boards is actually quite common in martial arts competition.

Erosion isn't instantaneous, so I still don't think it makes sense. Even without the water weakness, rock types still have 4 weaknesses, 14/17 types have less weaknesses than that, so I don't see much problem removing it.


Well then, that makes the Fighting>Rock & Water>Rock arguments simular then...& okay, I see your point & my point(again) so they both don't have enough of a reason then in that case...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:45 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:24 am
Posts: 77
Location: the other side of darkrai's dark void
then again water type attacks seem to extreamely fast/ high pressure and so that could accelerate erosion

how is fire effective against ice and not the other way around fire would melt ice making it water effective against fire

dragon >dragon ( aw this is going to be awesome lets make them kill each other faster)
fighting >steel ( its called brick break not metal break whould be more like hand break vs steel)
ground > steel(hehehe i make your metal dirty now suffer)
ghost > psychic (even psychics are afraid of ghosts)
dark > ghost (are ghosts afraid of the dark now)

how is water not effective against steel water rusts steel would at least slow them down

normal vs ghost (ghost goes through normal matter :?)

KeroTheInvincible wrote:
Pollution kills sea creatures, the recent oil spill is proof of this, so why isn't poison strong against water?

pollution kills all forms of life so in that sense poison should be effective against all types other than steel

_________________
a participant in the nuzlocke challenge
Image
help my pokefarm expand


Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:45 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 67
Location: In Solid Snake's CardBoard Box
Savage Hunter wrote:
Ryanh181 wrote:
well for me, It's the whole Psychic-Dark-Bug thing. Why is bug good against dark? Why is Dark good against Psychic and not the other way around? Also, Dragon is good against itself? C'mon. The whole typing thing is (or, should be) based on normal physics:

Water Conducts Electricity, Therefore: Electric > Water
Fire Burns Grass, Therefore: Fire > Grass

There are a lot of things about the typing that are messed up, but I can't explain them all. You'll just have to wait for Frost to post in here. Which is inevitable.


Other things I believe don't make sense, why is it electric attacks aren't very effective against steel? Even though steel conducts electricity.


Which steel type are you talking about? There is yet to be a pure steel type.

_________________
Image

BEAST MODE


#E3CF57 reference ;]


Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 pm
Profile
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 9
Platypus wrote:
Which steel type are you talking about? There is yet to be a pure steel type.



Mawile would like to have a little discussion with you.


And this thread hurts my head. I knew I shouldn't have opened it.


Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:52 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 67
Location: In Solid Snake's CardBoard Box
Oh i'm sorry I have seem to forget mawile, oh well.

_________________
Image

BEAST MODE


#E3CF57 reference ;]


Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:53 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.