It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Action Replays 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Does anyone use or have used the action replay/ i have one and i use it for fun after i have already beaten the game fully. leave your comments or questions and i will check out what you think.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I was thinking about getting the Action Replay DS for my system a while back, but on better conscious, opted out. Recently, though, I was starting to change my mind. One question: how does it work? Do you plug it into your DS and then the game into that like the Gameshark was supposed to do for the GBA?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:23 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

yeah its like the gamesharks but i have a problem with mine but you might not have to. i cant save the game right now

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:21 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I was just asking because some of my friends used to have the GameShark thing and use it in the RSE games to hack them in order to get shiny legendaries, but they said it was a pain in the butt because it froze the games to input codes and at times made it so you had to replay through the entire game just to get the Pokemon you altered. I heard that this isn't the case with the Action Replay because it's designed to keep your game playing as is without a whole lot of adverse side-effects. But, if you can't save your game after while using the Action Replay, I may rethink getting one... I have a lot of stuff saved on my Platinum and Diamond games on which I was planning on using this for. Diamond isn't as big of an issue for me as Platinum, but I still don't want to mess up my games like that. Still, the odds of problems are low, according to the reviews I've read about the AR on various websites.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:38 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

dont get me wrong it is good for a lot of games not just for pokemon and i also might have a defected one

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:21 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Probably... I decided the other day to pick up one and it seems to work great! Granted, I've only used in Diamond and Platinum to get 900 of all medicines (including some of the older ones I thought they took out of the games...like Berry Juice from the GS series!), Poke Balls, berries, and 99 of all TMs, as well as boost the experience points my creatures get from wild ones.

Also, I'm surprised at the amount of codes that come preprogrammed into it! It even has ones for remakes of older games, like Final Fantasy IV. I used to know the best cheats for the SNES version of the game, but I could never figure out if I could trigger the same effects in the DS version. Action replay will definitely help remedy that the next time I play it.

Though, I have to admit: it is a bit unfair to use cheats, even if it is after I've beaten a game. But since most of my friends aren't into ones I am anymore, and I don't do a lot of online gaming, I guess it doesn't matter. Still, I'm glad I got the AR device.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:09 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

although it looks like fun, and i collect the games, so i usually have extras, i've never actually gotten an AR. i'll get one eventually, just not yet, lol.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:27 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I collect the games too, Ryder, but I'm one of those people who uses up a lot of his TMs and items as the games progress. Though, I don't mind working at things, hence why I waited until now to get an AR device. Still, there's no challenge if you use cheats constantly, though they are handy for the things you otherwise can't do in games (for example: unlocking the special legendaries I otherwise couldn't get because nobody in my area hosted the events for creatures like Shaymin and Darkrai and I have dial-up Internet, which can't be used for Nintendo Wi-fi so I can't trade with people whom may have them. It's not to say I'm desperate or anything, but I'd like to experience capturing those creatures at least once).

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

yeah. i know what you mean. i only just got my ds, so ive never gotten an event pokemon before the shiny pichu event. like i said, ill get a AR eventually. but i just dont have the money for one right now. :D

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:12 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I agree with the original poster saying that they only use it after they beat the game. It would take out the fun using it at the beginning. Like beating the game with a shiny Lv.100 Deoxys would be no fun. Or useing rare candies to level up your starter.

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:01 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

haha. when i get an AR, i will only use it on my extra game. you know, to test the limits of the game, purely for fun, not for cheating. lol. :D

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:16 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Blaziken_is_Kool wrote:
I agree with the original poster saying that they only use it after they beat the game. It would take out the fun using it at the beginning. Like beating the game with a shiny Lv.100 Deoxys would be no fun. Or useing rare candies to level up your starter.

Yeah, it's WAY too easy to whip out the AR, use it to get all the items right away in the early stages, and then max out your team's levels. Though, I have to admit, rare candies are helpful when you're trying to evolve Pokemon for filling the Pokedex or finishing off a near Level 100 Pokemon's training.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:54 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

lol i love wwhat i started lol. no they are fun and i am glad i have one but i barely use it but hey whatever.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:23 pm
Profile YIM
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I have one for the GBA which I use only to activate pokemon Events that I just did not have access to but never to alter the pokemon catchable in these events...as for the DS Action Replay...at first I bought one but it didn't work so well with my laptop so I though maybe it was defected & bought another one & learned that it was my dead *** laptop so I just said forget it & very soon after I learned the effects it had on your game via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & some other things...& decided not to buy another one cause I just didn't care anymore...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:07 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Think of it this way, would you use drugs to make your kid grow? No, you'd let them grow on their own, drug free.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: In my Secret Base at Route 116- come and find me! :P
I swear by the Action Replay, but I usually use it for other things such as walking through walls and just messing with the game. I did hack to further my game, unfortunately, but I was at a point where I'd put down the game for eternity if I didn't get those rare candies in there. My slow growing Lugia and Dragonite were not benefiting from training in Route 28 (or whatever the number is next to Mt. Silver) because they were level 59, and 1000 exp. per battle was just a drop in the bucket. They needed MUCH more EXP than that, and I was disappointed that Serebii's information on the Second Tier Elite Four was wrong. (It said the E4 get stronger AFTER you beat Red, but I think it's after you beat Blue, considering I never stepped foot in Mt. Silver at the time.) I was unprepared to say the least. At least I got all 16 badges beforehand though...

The most IMPORTANT thing I can stress is to ENTER ALL YOUR CODES CORRECTLY. There is the chance that just ONE hex code entered wrong by the user can mess up the game. It's highly important to know what you are doing.

Also, I know it seems obvious, but IF A CODE HAS A WARNING, such as "your game may be unstable by using this code" or "there may be serious side effects", DO NOT use the code :P

I would not go so far as to claim that EVERYONE who uses an AR is stupid, because that is NOT the case, however, there are a great amount of people who lack common sense and they use these things, therefore screwing up their games.

I do recommend the use of the Action Replay, if you are considering buying it and do have the funds. It cost me 25 bucks at Gamestop, but it seems to be paying for itself. Also, buy the Action Replay DSi, as it is compatible with every DS thus far.

A tool that I've used with AR DSi is the Action Replay Code Editor, which works flawlessly hand in hand with the AR software. It's a godsend which helps you add those large codes to your AR without having to type them in. It can be found here: http://projects.sappharad.com/tools/ardseditor.html

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:08 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Are there AR's specifically designed for Pokemon? If so how much do they cost? Also, do they automatically have the codes for the Event items? Or do I need to find them and enter them. Also, how do they work? I had an AR for the gamecube for Zelda and I just picked the cheats I wanted then clicked "OK" then it told me to take it out and put in the actual game. Is that how the DS ones work?

PS Totally unrelated to the topic, but related to my post, That Super Jump in Zelda pwns.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:17 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I have an AR use just to play with once I finish the game. I would only use it to get pokemon that I missed the events of. I probably wouldnt use it to get shinies cause I prefer to find them the hard way.

Current Shiny Projects: {tepig} {eevee} {foongus}

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]