Generation I 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Generation II 59%  59%  [ 16 ]
Generation III 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Generation IV 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27

Favourite Generation 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yes, I'm sure this thread has been done 3456239847562983746 times, but maybe it will get stickied this time?

What is your favourite generation, and why?

In my opinion:

Johto>Kanto>Sinnoh>Hoenn

Johto = Awesome Pokemon, Awesome Game play, Music was teh epic win, and the legends weren't epic fail.

Kanto = Awesome Pokemon, Good Music, The first PKMN game. this is what got us all started.

Sinnoh = Kind of unoriginal, but for the most part, the pokemon were cool, and the graphics are awesome.

Hoenn = Pokemon are dumb, Too many legends, Mudkip, and kids who start on this game, don't know anything about RBY & GSC.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Last edited by Krisp on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fixed the poll

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:22 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Just for the record, I was playing RBY and GSC when you were still in diapers.

Quote:
Too many legends

Um...I just counted the legendaries from the 3rd generation and 4th generation, and what you said makes no sense. Generation 3 had 10 legendaries and Generation 4 had 14.

Is this a thread about regions? Games? Pokemon? I don't really understand how you want us to rank them. From what you said in your post I'm assuming you're talking about generations, not the regions themselves (but you still called them by regions?) I'll rank them by generations. By the way, this post is coming from someone who was 10 when s/he started playing Pokemon back in 1999, not 2.

Generation 4: Even without HeartGold/SoulSilver, this is probably my favorite generation. I played my game for over 500 hours (when I was still in school of course, for the past few years I haven't really had much time for it.) I loved most of the new Pokemon, enjoyed catching all the older Pokemon, and thoroughly enjoyed the majority of the storyline. I didn't care too much about the new legendaries, but the pixie trio was cool, and Shaymin/Manaphy are still regarded as two of my favorite legendaries. It blew my mind when this game was announced knowing I could now trade Pokemon with online friends and random people I never met before. This was truly the best generation, if it's your favorite or not, everyone can agree that generation 4 had features that nobody imagined would be available at the time. Oh, and we even get a Gold/Silver remake that I'm sure you nostalgia tards will forget to mention. This game fixes pretty much every problem I'll end up listing in the previous generations - it is almost without flaw. I didn't particularly like the Gym Leaders, Elites, or villains that were introduced in DPP. There was too much involvement with the legendary Pokemon - something the 3rd generation actually had right. We had better access to Pokemon events (for those of you who didn't cheat like I did) and actually SAW some of those legendaries though.

Generation 2: Again, this game was absolutely mindblowing when I first played it. EXP bars, new Pokemon, graphics and colors (at the time) were significantly improved. The phone, day & night, time events, radio, berries, new HMs, I could keep going on and on. Besides gen4, this game probably had the 2nd coolest milestones from the originals. I was a pretty big fan of Yellow Version (because that was the only Pokemon game I played before Silver), and loved how I could revisit the Kanto region in Gold and Silver. It wasn't much of a region or an adventure, but it was definitely cool. When I was a kid I liked how some of the gym leaders were "a little more grown up" than I remember them from Yellow and the anime. Without that extra adventure, I'm not sure if I could give G2 the second spot on my list. Generation 2 was plagued by some pretty bad things as well. It's not all peaches and cream like the majority of you think. The game was extremely repetitive at the end - the same problems that kinda killed the mood for the original generation. There's nobody left to fight, nothing left to train, nothing to do unless you've got friends in real life. Sure, you could complete the Pokedex, but what about after that?

Generation 1: Not really much to say with this one. It's what started the Pokemon craze in the first place. It'd be wrong for me to compare it to the later generations because it was the first one. I still get all nostalgic when I think about catching Nidoran M and Caterpie and getting Charmander, Eevee and Bulbasaur later on, then raising up a team of Pikachu/Nidoking/Butterfree/Charizard/Venusaur/Jolteon. I liked most of the gym leaders, unlike G4, and when I was a kid I wanted to be like Lt. Surge in the games with electric as my preference. Without the nostalgia, however, it's not really a game that I'd rank above some of the newer games. My best memories of the RBY generation were playing the Pokemon Trading Card game with kids at school. We didn't play it right, but who cares. Trading cards was fun; and I still love trading cards with Frost and Registeel_Rocks (old or new.) People my age (give or take a few years) probably remember when Pokemon was a real fad - the original 151 monsters were everywhere. At fast food restaurants, stores, movie theatres, schools, you name it. Pokemon also helped me realize that I had a good hobby, even if it wasn't really appropriate for my gender. It was also thanks to this generation that helped me get into Pokemon, come here, and make some great friends online and offline.

Generation 3: These games receive a lot of unnecessary bashing and hate, and it's usually by idiots who can't explain themselves in an intelligent manner. I rank it at the bottom of my list, but that doesn't really mean shit because I consider myself a true Pokemon fan from the beginning to the end. Positive things about this game? It introduced some really cool and unique Pokemon like Zangoose, Seviper, Torkoal, Tropius, Swampert, Latios/Latias, and Kecleon. The music in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald was almost perfect, and to this day I still consider the music in these games my favorite. I could tell Gamefreak was really trying to produce something that nobody saw coming in Pokemon, like contests and e-reader compatibility (but unfortunately they weren't really that great...good effort though!) The berry system saw a revamp as well, and that was pretty cool. There was a lot of unnecessary berries, but I liked "collecting" them nevertheless. G3 also introduced in-game events such as an event for the second Latis, Deoxys, Lugia, Deoxys, and even the fabled Mew, which I enjoyed watching and catching said Pokemon. Nobody can deny that Generation 3 gave us a great selection of items like the Lucky Egg, Choice Band, and a way better selection of TMs than G2 had. Unfortunately, this game didn't live up to my expectations, and completely disregarded the previous generations. It ditched the night/day system and time events that Gold/Silver had, made no hint to the Johto region or any of the Gym Leaders in it, and didn't really capture my love, even when FireRed/LeafGreen were released. I don't like how this generation was split in two - we had the first half that had everything I mentioned above, then a remake of the original games that gave us a little nostalgia, but nothing more.

Pokemon has been a great franchise, and I can't wait to see generation 5.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My favourite generation is Jhoto because really good lengendaries. The story is good. Not bad. But the best part I must say is going to Kanto. Beating the Gyms and the Indigo Plateu. Plus catching the legendaries. And getting a Kanto starter.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:21 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I was also playing R/B/Y when i was in diapers.

I was just saying there are a lot compared to G/S/C and R/B/Y. I didn't say there wasn't a lot in D/P/P.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:45 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Pokemon: Kanto (Runner-Up: Johto)
I don't hate any of the original 151 because doing that would be like hating a piece of my childhood. It's also much harder to dislike something that's been ingrained into my memory for over a decade and, similarly, many of overall favorite Pokemon are from Kanto for that very reason. Johto still has a lot of the nostalgia associated with Kanto, so it's my second choice, but it also included some of the first Pokemon that I disliked (namely Sneasel and Dunsparce). Hoenn and Sinnoh are when the designs started to get more stylized and, therefore, divisive. I like Sinnoh's overall set of Pokemon more than Hoenn's because DPP didn't throw out tons of old Pokemon and scare fans into thinking newer Pokemon like Beautifly had replaced older ones such as Butterfree. Other than that, the two regions are about equal as far as Pokemon are concerned.

Games: Sinnoh (Runner-Up: Johto)
Realistically, all of the Pokemon games are highly similar to the others. DPP's real trump card is that it has Wi-Fi capabilities. However, the other main thing that DPP did right is the Gamefreak found a way to include almost all of the 500 Pokemon into the region so that you didn't have buy a ton of games to get a good Pokedex. Generation III is definitely my LEAST favorite because the entire era was Nintendo sucking money out of the franchise. (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, a GBA, FireRed, LeafGreen, a link cable or wireless adapter, a Gamecube, Colosseum, XD, a GCN/GBA cable and Nintendo Events were required to actually "catch them all," which was an embarrassment.) Generation II was very much a minitature Generation IV with a more interesting story and characters but fewer Pokemon and gameplay hours. Generation I was good for the time but I think it's a little user-unfriendly by today's standards.

Anime: Kanto (Runner-Up: Hoenn)
As far as the episodes and characters actually being entertaining, Kanto wins this hands down EVEN THOUGH the show had absolutely terrible pacing and most of Ash's Gym Leader matches were dull, short and/or anticlimactic. However, the character interaction was top-notch, the show had good humor and the filler episodes were interesting. Johto was the WORST incarnation of the anime because it went on forever, the fillers were horrendous and character development slowed to a halt. Sinnoh is very popular with the fans of the show but I find it boring and repetitive by this point and can't get into the dub because of the replacement voice actors. Hoenn was actually very good despite my ambivalence to the rest of the generation as a whole; the show actually did take major steps to repair itself after Johto nearly went and killed it. All of the movies sucked so I won't even bother ranking each generation's movies.

TCG: Kanto/Sinnoh (tie)
I think the Sinnoh cards look the best while the Kanto cards are the most balanced. Johto took a hit because it was the generation that transitioned the TCG into using e-Reader-enabled cards, which looked horrible and knocked the number of cards in a booster pack down to nine. Hoenn was the worst generation for the TCG because it started with the e-Reader cards and then slipped into an endless stream of filler releases like the stupid Delta Species cards. (I'm not a fan of Pokemon having weird-ass types.) Also, Kanto and Sinnoh are the only generations that list a Pokemon's basic information (such as height, weight and Pokedex number), which was something missing from the e-Reader cards through the rest of Hoenn's sets.

Region: Don't care
I've been through Kanto way too many times, so I'm pretty bored with it. Johto, compared to the other regions, was very short. Sinnoh, on the other hand, was very long and the pseudo-3D made much of the landscape look homogeneous. Hoenn, while have a few places of a variety, got drowned out with water routes. So I don't really have a preference as far as the regions themselves are concerned.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:56 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Krisp wrote:
Pokemon has been a great franchise, and I can't wait to see generation 5.

It seems like the Pokemon are getting way too flashy. I'm actually kinda scarred for the generation 5 Pokemon....

Ryanh181 wrote:
Hoenn = Pokemon are dumb, Too many legends, Mudkip, and kids who start on this game, don't know anything about RBY & GSC.

I agree about the legends. But the 3rd generation was not much better about it. I liked it better when you had the trio (ie, the birds, the dogs, the regis, and the beings), your massive prize (mewtwo, Lugia OR Ho-oh, Rayquaza witch I think should be Deoxis, and Giratina), and you're dainty, never gonna find it without an event or glitch Pokemon (Mew, Celebi, Jarachi and......Manaphy). I'm not saying the others aren't cool and fun to use, but there's way too many "legendary" Pokemon in generations 3 and 4. God help us all if the whole 5th generation is legendary. Personal synopsis--5 legends per generation is just right.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Quote:
Johto>Kanto>Sinnoh>Hoenn

Johto = Awesome Pokemon, Awesome Game play, Music was teh epic win, and the legends weren't epic fail.

Kanto = Awesome Pokemon, Good Music, The first PKMN game. this is what got us all started.

Sinnoh = Kind of unoriginal, but for the most part, the pokemon were cool, and the graphics are awesome.

Johto gave us the WORST set of Pokemon in any of the games. The only Johto Pokemon really worth using are Tyranitar, Blissey, Raikou, Suicune, Skarmory, and Heracross. Everything else was pretty bad. Compared to later games in the series Generation II had bad game play. As for Generation I not everyone started it and just because it wasn't first doesn't mean it was great either.

No need to be an assuming :censored: just because someone plays RSE doesn't mean they don't know anything about earlier Genrations. I counted 3 memes in your entire post way to many. Please stop using memes, they just make you look like an idiot.

Anyways my list:

Generation III>IV>II>I

Pokemon Pearl FC:2749 9225 9473

Up for a battle anytime! Just PM me.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Johto > Kanto > Hoenn > Sinnoh

My favorite is Johto, I don't know why, something just keeps drawing me to it. I'm even playing through my Silver version right now.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:30 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Pokemaniac wrote:
I counted 3 memes in your entire post way to many. Please stop using memes, they just make you look like an idiot.

This word, meme, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:59 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

This is a tough one. I say Generation II because it had some of my favorite Pokemon, but it also has some of the most forgettable ones. After that, III for the intense story line (OMG! Kyogre and Groudon are killing teh world!) followed by I because those were the basics and had the best Pokemon. Generation IV is my least favorite, but I've put the most time into Diamond (going on 800 hours with no sign of stopping). I just think they're running out of stuff for you to do (Mining and baking? Come on, Miyamoto-san.) but it does have some BA Legendaries (Regigigas, Giratina and Arceus FTW).

Overall, II>III>I>IV.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:57 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I think I'll steal Frost's layout. :p

Pokemon:
Hoenn wins here. I love the first generation too, but they are so different from each other (Kanto being more natural and Hoenn being more stylized) that I don't really like to compare and rank the two, but if I have to, then Hoenn with Kanto close behind. The only thing that annoys me about the third generation is how 90% of the legendaries look so terrible. Johto's Pokemon are just uninteresting and boring, with a few exceptions (the starters and the legendaries), and Sinnoh has the ugliest, uncreative, most horrid monsters of all generations.

Games:
Johto is the champion, and Sinnoh the runner-up. The first Pokemon game I ever played was Silver, not RBY, and the nostalgia is an important contributive factor, because everything was so new and captivating. I love all the unique features in GSC, including traveling back to Kanto and battling Red/Ash after the Elite Four. The plot itself wasn't really engaging, but there's something about this generation that makes me love it and I can't quite point what it is. Sinnoh was amazing in many, many levels, specially because of Wi-Fi, and the storyline here is a little more complex, mostly when it comes to the evil teams and their association with the legendary Pokemon, which also happens in RSE. I can't wait for the release of HGSS and I have high expectations for the next generation of games.

Anime:
Kanto was my absolute favorite generation of the entire series, and also one of my favorite Anime today. After episode #83, the cartoon changed, and the actual saga overall sucks in my point of view. The magic behind the first season was not only the fact I started watching it when Pokemon was the biggest fad in my school, more than 10 years ago, but the series itself was just so engaging and adorable. I mean, I used to actually take Team Rocket seriously! And it wasn't just about battles. There was this whole magical, mysteryous aspect about the world of Pokemon, and the main characters learning about it, that actually made me want to know more about those creatures and their fantastical universe. Just think about a few episodes, like that Bill and the giant Dragonite episode (what? Dragonite were rare?), or the Lavender Tower episode (Ash and Pikachu had their souls freaking pulled out of their bodies, seriously!), or that Maiden's Peak episode... Not to mention that the characters themselves were so unique on their personalities, specially the Pokemon (Squirtle the gangster, Bulbasaur the badass and Charmander the sweet). Oh, and who could forget the awesome episode, Island of the Giant Pokemon? Seriously, that one was the epitome of awesomeness in the whole series.

I can't think of anything else right now. But that's pretty much it. :)

Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I>III>II>IV

The first pokemon game I ever played was yellow. I broke it on accident and then I basically stopped playing pokemon for a few years. Then just a couple years back I picked up Sapphire and the only major problem was I think they overdid the sea routes. That was the first pokemon game I ever beat. Sceptile, Blaziken, Azumarill, Salamence, Tyranitar, Gardevoir. I got the Salamence as a level five Bagon my brother had breeded, and the blaziken was my real starter, I got sceptile by trading with my brother's ruby. He started the game, got a treecko, traded to me, and then restarted, actually playing it. Anyway, fun times. I loved that team. I haven't erased any of them, I still have them all on that same sapphire cartridge XD. I also have latias, so that's always fun.

Then I started playing Gold and I got the dragon gym and got totally stuck because it wouldn't let me in. I looked at the psypoke walkthrough and it still didn't work. I'm not really sure what happened. Anyway, while they have awesome pokemon, after that I've never been enthusiastic to play the games again.

With Pearl I just got bored of it. Didn't have any addicting gameplay and there was too much walking around between cities and too many caves. Some cool pokemon, (torterra, carnivine, garchomp, toxicroak. . . that's about it I think) but not a great world. And GOD those starters SUCK!! Turtwig is cool, then it evolves into ****, then it evolves into a total badass that's one of my favorite sinnoh pokemon. Piplup evolves into crap, which then evolves into SLIGHTLY less crap. And Chimchar? It's okay. Nothing spectacular. Thing is, in all the previous generations the starters were some of my favorite pokemon. And chimchar and its evolutions are just OKAY. Okay is not okay when it comes to starters in my opinion. /:

Then I just recently played yellow. I did a tiny bit of cheating (lotsa masterballs and rare candies, I didn't overdo the rare candies and the masterballs were just to catch things without wasting all that time widdling down their health, if I saw something I wanted I just had it in a few seconds) and beat it in about a week. I love the team I was using. Pikachu, Blastoise, Charizard, Venusaur, Snorlax, and Kadabra. Before I caught snorlax I used a clefable for a while too. Great game, it really pulls you in. It's not too long or too short and the gyms are cool. Totally my favorite. I think I'm going to play crystal next and maybe the game will pull me in more if I don't have to waste so much time running around training and I can just boost up with rare candies.

Also, in previous posts people have said they don't like the Johto pokemon. Though I don't like the game so much I LOVE those pokemon.

I like all the starters and their evos except croconaw. I like chinchou and lanturn, mareep chain is cool, I like politoed, sudowoodo, wooper chain, esp/umbreon, girafarig, steelix, scizor, shuckle, sneasel, heracross, teddiursa chain (IT'S A BEAR!), mantine, skarmory, houndour chain, donphan, porygon2, stantler, smeargle, hitmontop, not to mention how much the larvitar chain kicks ass. I think they're better than sinnoh to say the least. I like the hoenn and kanto pokemon more, but they still own, I wouldn't say any particular generation of pokemon is BAD. Except MAYBE sinnoh.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:35 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

III>II>IV>I

III: i loved the layout of the map and variety of towns, pokemon werent bad either
II: it was the first generation i remember playing, awesome pokemon
IV: alot of good pokemon and alot of :censored: pokemon, graphics are amazing
I: sorta boring and way too many Rocket encounters, although i must say most of the pokemon are kick :censored:

Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:03 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Johto without question...has more content then other generations.

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:25 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

My favorite would be generation two. I'd like to have a big write-up about it, but what it really comes down to is nostalgia. I got into the series later than most of the early fans, so I come on just when gold did. They still played the kanto episodes of the show and I watched those, but gold version was the first game I had for the gameboy color. I have fond memories of seeing my first johto pokemon and getting really excited over catching new ones. I may be biased because it was my first experience in handheld games, but I love a lot of things about it. The music was nice, the pokemon were exciting (I remember being excited when I ran into a swarm of dunsparce and the time I caught chinchou), and it was fun. My gaming habits have changed and I've since lost gold, but I'm looking forward to getting heart gold so I can get at least a piece of that experience back.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:37 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Gold was the first game i played which i loved to bits
Hoenn was also really good(in my opinion) better than Kanto and Sinnoh

so my order would probs be

1) Jhoto/Hoenn
2) Sinnoh
3) Kanto

Check out my trading forum: http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31150&p=496756#p496756

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]