It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 EV Training? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I am going to EV train my Pokemon soon, but I am just wondering all of the things that i have to do then so....

Can someone tell me information about EVs, IVs, Natures and all things what i need for EV training?

Thx!

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:54 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Read the EV Training guide on the main site for all the answers to your questions. Click these pretty blue letters.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:19 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Ok. Thanks a lot! That helped me so much.

But i still have one question:
I didn't fully understand the thing about leveling up while EV training.
So does it matter, that when my pokemon already has gained 100 EV points and then it gains a level?

Like this LV 50: EV 100 points --> Leveling up to LV 51 --> EV 0 Points or EV 100 Points?

THX!

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:10 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

DeDragon wrote:
So does it matter, that when my pokemon already has gained 100 EV points and then it gains a level?Like this LV 50: EV 100 points --> Leveling up to LV 51 --> EV 0 Points or EV 100 Points?
THX!

Whenever you put EV's into a Pokemon they are there to stay unless you use certain berries. So a level 50 Pokemon with 100 EV's in attack while have those 100 EV's when it goes to level 51.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:52 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Ok. Thx a lot you two.

And now I have two more questions:
1st: What are IVs? I tried to read Psypoke's IV Guide, but I didn't catch a thing, so can someone tell what IV is simply as possible?
2nd: What are Base Stats?

So answers please!
Thank you!

Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:44 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

DeDragon wrote:
Ok. Thx a lot you two.

And now I have two more questions:
1st: What are IVs? I tried to read Psypoke's IV Guide, but I didn't catch a thing, so can someone tell what IV is simply as possible?
2nd: What are Base Stats?

So answers please!
Thank you!

Base stats are a pokemon's overall potential. Let's use two pokemon with no IVs and no EVs and a neutral nature as an example.

Pokemon 1 has a base attack stat of "50"
Pokemon 2 has a base attack stat of "100"

At level 100, pokemon 1 would end up with 105 attack.
At level 100, pokemon 2 would end up with 205 attack.

It is basically a pokemon basic potential in a given stat. 80 is considered the "average", though the average is rarely good enough on its own, rather you typically want 120+ for your desired stat, preferably 130+ as this would give you a stat of 256, or 396 with the best possible circumstances.

IVs are an extra "bonus" in a stat that all pokemon can get, when they are first created. In short it assigns a number between "0" and "31" for every single stat for a pokemon. At level 100, that pokemon will have the stat they would normally have, + that number.

Using the same two pokemon from the previous explanation as an example with +31 attack IVs each:

At level 100, pokemon 1 would end up with 136 attack.
At level 100, pokemon 2 would end up with 236 attack.

As you can see, this is best for making up a weakness on any given pokemon, though bolstering a strength is still good. A pokemon is very weak defensively? make sure it has 31 defense IV.

Quite a few people don't bother with IVs as it can be time consuming to do, some try to get one or two stats to 31, and others (like me) try to get (if possible) atleast the most useful 5 stats to 31, because they can really make a difference in a competitive fight.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:49 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Ok. Now I understand what IVs are. But how I can get good IVs and good Base Stats?
Someone said that Base Stats are stats in LV50 without IVs or EVs. Is that true?

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:33 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

DeDragon wrote:
Ok. Now I understand what IVs are. But how I can get good IVs and good Base Stats?
Someone said that Base Stats are stats in LV50 without IVs or EVs. Is that true?

That's pretty much as close to the number as you can get, so I'll say yes. It's not 100% accurate but it is close. The closest way to say it is that +5, it seems to get 5 stat points just as a base number or out of thin air, so just add 5 onto the very end of any calculation you do. 100 base at LV.50 is 105, 100 base at LV.100 is 205, and so forth. This is almost certinally so that you can have a level 0 pokemon and it will have "5" as every stat regardless of what pokemon it is, and it will still be able to do damage as a failsafe.

Good IVs is simply luck. You capture or breed the pokemon, check the IVs with an IV calculator and then if it isn't good enough to try again. (There's a much better way, but it requires a very deep understanding of pokemon to do, you're nowhere near ready enough for that yet you should just currently rely on luck for now.)
http://www.psypokes.com/dex/iv.php

One thing: with breeding the pokemon will inherit 3 of its stats from the parents and get 3 randomly, that's how I got a Scyther with 31 / 31 / 31 / 24 / 31 / 31 IVs, by using good parents.

Here's a good guide on the subject in depth:
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/s ... hp?t=46234

Last edited by Amplify on Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:23 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Ok. I get i now! Thx a lot, who helped me in this.
If I have any other questions I hope i got answers.
Thank you!

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]