It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 hiJYNX? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

This puzzles me as well. Does anyone know why it was decided that porygon would not be aired? If I were the directer I would just edit out the flashing lights and re-air the episode....although that may cause some anger among some. Personally if I had a seizure from that episode...i would want to see the episode all the way through just without the flashing lights.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:43 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Or they could just replace the flashing lights with their standard explosion from the attacks. Still they could bring in the Porygon family they would just have to be very careful how they bring him in and not just in the digital world like they did last time.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:38 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

They're not bringing back Porygon (or introducing any of its evolutions, I guess) to the anime, nor digitally altering and reairing the episode, because they don't want to dig up any bad memories. With six to seven HUNDRED Japanese children going into seizures because of that episode, the "Porygon" incident is probably the lowest point of the Pokemon franchise as far as bad press is concerned. It was a WAY bigger deal to the Japanese producers than the franchise's controversies like Jynx resembling a racist stereotype or Uri Gellar thinking Nintendo used him as the basis for Kadabra.

The seizures caused the show to stop airing for FOUR months and the producers had to go back and edit the flashing effects in the THIRTY-SEVEN episodes that aired before Porygon's. Multiple new guidelines had to be created (every episode still airs with a warning about epilepsy), two episodes aired about nine months later than they should have and a New Years' eve special got shelved because the show's timeline went way off.

In comparison, Nintendo and Gamefreak just went "Oh, crap, we're sorry, here's a purple variety of Jynx!" to solve Carole Weatherford's complaints.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:39 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Jynx can be male or femalel, right? I think it's weird. I hate fighting the one that the first E4 member in Kanto has, because it's female and my best pokemon are male, and it uses attract. I always have to switch to Moltres. :/
I think the redesigned is cuter, but I like the older one better.

Image (by Ender)

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:36 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Generally this was a sad event I don't think that the designer ever intended it to be a racial remark, I do think the new design was a major improvement and I think it would be interesting to add an evolution to Jynx so long as it isn't hideous beyond belief as frost clearly stated. As for the porygon incident I thought that was to bad it was only controversial because of the flashing lights, it wasn't as nearly as bad as the 18th episode (never aired in U.S. due to upset parents of original Japanese viewing audience) which had highly questionable content in which James took his female disguise to far.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2