It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 hiJYNX? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Jynx...a very forgotten pokemon. I think that it would be awesome if on the next pokemon game there could be a male form of jynx. I feel sorry for jynx because of the controversy she caused made her very unpopular. A male jynx just may even the playing field and bring her back!

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:01 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Ahh, Jynx. My favorite Pokemon in the original Pokemon Stadium and one of my favorites everywhere else.

It is a shame that Jynx got the cold shoulder after the "blackface" incident. However, I doubt that Jynx will ever regain popularity. It may however, gain an evolution. Just an opinion, but Magmar, Jynx, and Electabuzz all gained a pre-evo in Gen II, and Magmar and Electabuzz got an evolution in Gen IV. I remember reading (most likely false) that Jynx, Electabuzz and Magmar were supposed to be the Legendary Trio in Gen I but got canned. I think this linking, plus all three getting a pre-evo in Gen II, shows that Jynx will gain an Evolution, and atleast a chance at a comeback.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:10 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I for one do hope that you are right!

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:19 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Gallade was bad enough; we certainly don't need a male form of Jynx as well. And, considering what Electivire and Magmortar look like, I'm glad DP conveniently "forgot" to evolve Jynx, even though Jynx/Electabuzz/Magmar were clearly meant to be an unofficial trio once upon a time, because the evolution would probably look beasty and hideous.

Also, Jynx is hardly a "very forgotten Pokemon." If anything, she's one of the most infamous Pokemon because of the blackface controversy, and that's probably why Nintendo has chosen to "ignore" her (which, ignoring the fact that she doesn't evolve in DPP, they really haven't even done; you can still acquire her in the games, she still gets TCG cards with her likeness, and she still appears in the anime).

I'd only be warm to the idea of a Jynx evolution if she looked like this:

However, looking at some of the new evolutions in DPP, particularly those of Jynx's counterparts, she'd probably look like this if she existed:

Just color her skin purple and give her blonde hair.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I don't really like the idea of evolving Jynxs, not because people say it is a "Racial stereotype" but because of what Frost is talking about. I don't like some of the new evolutions, like Lickillicky. Nintendo is running out of ideas for pokemon.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I don't think that Jynx will ever make a comeback from the blackface controversy. I don't even think giving it a new evolution would help it at all. I think Jynx is doomed to permanently walk in limbo as just one of those racist things pointed out in video games.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:48 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I have to agree that some of the newer evolutions were a bit stretched in imagination....I am just kinda bummed that Nintendo lets racial controversy weigh over the imagination....Who cares what some people think is "not racially correct" people are people no matter what color they are...

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:57 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Nintendo really needs to get better Pokemon designers...

Nintendo probably think that if they do something that is not "politically correct" they will get closed down or people will boycott them.

But I have to disagree, I think Gallade is really cool.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:05 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Gallade was one of the better ones. I wonder how Nintendo can continue to dish out new Pokemon...will the well run dry eventually?

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:18 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Oh the well has to run dry eventually, I mean they are already at 493 known pokemon, so they can't be that far off from running out of ideas for new pokemon, but as long as their are people that will buy the games they could make a trash can a pokemon for all they would care. I personally don't care too much for Gallade but I do like Frosslass though.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:52 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

linkfan57x wrote:
Who cares what some people think is "not racially correct" people are people no matter what color they are...

Uh, the reason Nintendo changed Jynx's design in the first place was because a black woman wrote an article about why Jynx's design should be offensive to black people, particularly black women. If somebody intelligently (and accurately) calls you out on being offensive in a nationwide publication, as Carole Weatherford did to NoA/GameFreak, you don't just ignore her. Especially not when Nintendo wants to maintain a family-friendly image. And especially not when leaving Jynx's design alone could potentially alienate a portion of people who buy their products. And especially not when the issue at hand is racism and the United States has an ugly history with such a topic.

And, please, guys, can we not go to the "Is Nintendo running out of ideas?" well for the 805892094th time on this forum? For one thing, Nintendo doesn't create Pokemon (GameFreak does). For another thing, there are still tons of things in this world that could be made into Pokemon. And for another thing, this topic was originally about Jynx.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:56 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

sorry dude/dudett...don't have a flammin heart attack. I just mean that i wish that race wasn't an issue and we could all get along. The nintendo/gamefreak thing was a general given anyway.

And the running out of idea thing...of course not...i was just thinking out loud (or in text at least) that pokemon has to end at some point and i will enjoy it until then.

Please don't put me with the general crowd like that. we are individuals....don't corner us off like that.

If you don't like what were saying then go to a different thread and let us enjoy a chat plz. Lets all just be happy.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:08 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I truly agree with Frost. When someone does their homework and publicly calls you out, then they have to change. Nintendo and GameFreak being the shrewd businessmen that they are will change it because they don't want to lose a lot of sales to an entire demographic because of one small changeable thing. Still an evolution of Jynx would be interesting to see though.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:14 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I agree too....maybe someday we can all put this stupid racism stuff behind us and truely unite as a nation. anyways....on a different note I am surprised that the body builders dont get mad at the machop family...lol...

but yeah....i feel sorry for what Jynx has to go through....i wonder how the person who designed her feels...

Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:47 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Don't think Frost is having a "flamming" heart attack, he's actually thinking logically here. ( This comparison's gonna be really vague, but) If i called you out for being a racist, and most of the people around you at least said, hey, i can see where he's coming from, you're going to be considered racist; which is exactly what happened. Jynx's face is going to be perminently light purple, and I believe her hands were changed as well.
Nintendo is handling this the way they handled the Porygon incident in Japan (?). They're most likely going to keep the Pokemon excluded from any mainstream attention. Whether or not Jynx gains an evolution in the future or not is really a toss up, though.

Too bad, she was one of my favorites.. :(

Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:59 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Image Image

Here are the ways Jynx's design was changed:
-Her black face became purple.
-Her dark blue hands became purple.
-Her red sleeves became white.
-Her lips were reduced in size.
-Her hairstyle became slightly shorter.
-Her chest became slightly smaller.

In other words, Nintendo and Gamefreak took Mrs. Weatherford's complaints very seriously. They examined the parts of Jynx's design that were criticized (skin, lips, hair and boobs) and they made the character's design inoffensive in an effort to say, "We understand your complaint and we apologize." The character isn't really off-limits anymore, in my opinion. Like I said before, it is still possible to obtain Jynx in the video games, both in the main series (you can catch her in FRLG and DPP) and in the spin-offs (she's in the Dungeon games, Trozei, etc). English TCG cards of Jynx are still produced with the modified design; at least eight have been translated since Mrs. Weatherford first wrote her article, some with the old Jynx and some with the new. And she still makes appearances in the anime; one full episode and thirteen seconds of another got cut because they had old Jynx, but the redesigned Jynx has appeared in at least three episodes so far. If New Jynx were really a "taboo" character, she wouldn't get all of these appearances.

Personally, I'm glad they redesigned her. Jynx is my second favorite Pokemon after Dewgong and, in addition to no longer being offensive, I also think she's way cuter with purple skin and smaller lips than with the old design.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:14 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I am glad that the Jynx ordeal was resolved peacefully. I truly hope that in t he future Jynx can be displayed proudly as being a normal Pokemon and we can all look back and see that because Nintendo listened to the consumer, the world was made a better place (sort of in a small way)

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:26 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Frost wrote:
I also think she's way cuter with purple skin and smaller lips than with the old design.

I agree with you, when I first saw Jynx I saw like "what the heck is that?!", the redesigned Jynx looks cuter.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:04 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Much cuter....much less creepy too.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:24 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Also the redesigned one doesn't look like the creature from the black lagoon.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:43 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

^ lol, good point.

In some ways, the complaints were good, because we got a better looking Jynx from it. Although it most likely won't be amain stream Pokemon like Pikachu for a while.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I don't think it will ever be too mainstream like Pikachu, but I could see the possibility of it making a lot more cameos.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:49 pm
Just your average 10 year old

Frost wrote:
And she still makes appearances in the anime; one full episode and thirteen seconds of another got cut because they had old Jynx, but the redesigned Jynx has appeared in at least three episodes so far.

The original Jynx is still shown in the Pokrap.

True Frost, but as with Porygon, Jynx has suffered a blow that will be hard to recover from.

Porygon is available in the games but has not been seen in the anime. Why they did this is beyond me.

Porygon has been in an episode in America, but Jynx has. I doubt the reason is seizures are worse than racism.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:28 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I enjoy Porygon too....They need to bring these Pokemon back into the anime both racially and seizurely correct.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:07 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Beav232 wrote:
Frost wrote:
And she still makes appearances in the anime; one full episode and thirteen seconds of another got cut because they had old Jynx, but the redesigned Jynx has appeared in at least three episodes so far.

The original Jynx is still shown in the Pokrap.

That's because they're not going back to edit content that has already aired. Jynx appears unaltered in the Orange Islands episode with Lorelei, too, because she was too important to cut.

Porygon in the anime is never happening again; the director has pretty much said as much, and Porygon2 is still the only non-Sinnoh Pokemon who hasn't appeared in the show (or one of the movies) so far. Why it's okay for Porygon and its family to appear in every video game, including ones partially BASED on the anime like Pokemon Snap, and still get TCG and manga appearances even though an anime appearance is pretty much off-limits is beyond me though. It doesn't really make sense. Porygon didn't even cause the seizures.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next