It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Opinions on sprite work in 4th Gen. 
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Now, as a long time gamer (Started with Mr. Mario himself at the tender age of 4) I love seeing graphics get better and better as the generations go by. This is especially true with the pokemon series of games, and I always look forward to seeing the new sprites in action.

One of my favorite sprite changes is that of Swampert.

Image Image

I loved the new sprite, as it looks much cleaner and better done. Most of the sprites in the 4th gen have had the same effect on me.

HOWEVER, some of the newer sprites are rather... disappointing. There have been several sprites that I just hated looking at, and felt that the pokemon in question looked BETTER in the 3rd gen.

Though I can't remember them all at once, there is one pokemon that always comes to mind. Our feathered friend from the first generation, Pidgeot.

Image Image

In my opinion, the 4th gen sprite is very sloppy and rough on the edges, and the coloring is extremely bland, and looks more detailed in the older sprite, which should NEVER happen when a game moves up a generation. This is an especially hard blow to me, as pidgeot has always been one of my favorite pokemon ever since the first generation of games.

Feel free to discuss, and post your own enjoyments and disappointments as far as sprite changes go. Anything is welcome, from how you love the detail on a certain sprite, to how you hate the new shade of color being used. Don't be afraid to post your feelings towards some of the new shiny sprites as well.

Keep in mind this thread has nothing to do with the metagame, as there are many other places to discuss that. Let's try not to get off topic, and please, no flaming other people because they have a different opinion from yours.

~ Face

"DERP I'M A DUMBASS :B"

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:30 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I think the Pideot from the 4th gen looks better IMO. The 3rd gen made it look funny to me in the neck area. I think it makes Pidgeot more bold and brave in the 4th gen.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:02 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Many of the third generation Pokemon looked like ass in the Advanced games, and a lot of them really do look much better in Diamond and Pearl. However, now that I think about it, a lot of the worst sprites of a particular Pokemon are the first sprites of the that Pokemon; the Kanto Pokemon look better in post-RG games, the Johto Pokemon look better in post-GS games and, yes, the Hoenn Pokemon look better in the post-third generation games. The first sprites of Pokemon tend to look the stiffest because these sprites are the first time that the artists had drawn the new Pokemon without seeing how the Pokemon move in the Anime or getting a clearer idea of how these Pokemon would move because of the animations in the later games.

Some third generation Pokemon who I think look particularly better in the fourth generation include Spoink, Altaria, Latias, Jirachi and Camerupt. Sprite for sprite, Diamond and Pearl have the best sprite library of the series. There's less stiff, awkward sprites than in the third generation, the color is leaps and bounds better than the bizarre palettes of the second generation, and the Pokemon don't like contorted and out of proportion like in the first generation. The only game that can match Diamond and Pearl's sprite library, in my opinion, is Yellow, and Yellow unfortunately had the Game Boy's limited color palette as a hindrance. With that said, a lot of the Platinum sprites/poses were a regression compared to the Diamond and Pearl sprites. Compare D/P's Porygon2 with Platinum's; the later looks horrible.

As for the Pidgeot sprite, I don't see the problem. The colors are brighter and fuller and the detail is just as good if not better. The problem seems to be that the Diamond and Pearl sprite has a less interesting pose compared to the third generation sprite.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:29 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The only one that comes to mind is Mew. His new sprite, to me, looks like a tired person with bags under their eyes. Its old sprite looked playful, but its new one...meh.

Abomasnow's Platinum sprite is also pretty funny.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:17 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I must say that the most horrible sprites must be Rotom's alternate forms D:
Just look at the jagged outlines and the facial features and and.. I mean, just ugh. They're plain crappy.
Image Image
And Mewtwo looks like a little kid or something, he looked more intimidating in RSEFRLG. The ear/horn things are too big and he's not enough "A-shaped". :S
And yeah, Mew doesn't look like it should. :(

I must agree, many sprites are better in D/P but there are still those awful ones.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

IMO, Salamence looks a lot better. Salamence is supposed to be bold and valiant, so it looks better in a `jack-knife` sort of stance instead of the `facing the foe` stance it had in RSEFrLg. The colour of the body is now brighter, although that may just be the DS having a brighter colour palette. In PMD, Salamence is in quite a good pose, with its legs slightly more than the shoulder width apart, as though it were ready to fight. The Salamence from Ranger had rather stubby legs, but apart from that, it was quite good.

Scizor's change in stance from RSEFrLg to DP made it look more warrior-like, as it is hunched, ready to block a blow and return a hit. The animation of Scizor in Crystal was better though, as the pincers blurred when the moved. If they were intentional, they would probably have been to describe the speed at which Scizor can move. The Platinum Sprite is just... not right. I can't explain why, but it just isn't. PMD's Scizor is very much like the one from DP, and the jumping animation is just right for a ninja-samurai-warrior-super-strong-bug sort of creature. The Scizor in Ranger was fantastic. The Scizor from Pokémon Trozei could do with a bit more detail. Maybe if the tops of the back wings were in view, that would be a great improvement.

Latios generally has the same improvement as Salamence from RSEFrLg to DP. It looks more warrior-like. There's not much to say about the PMD Latios, although it could do with a standing pose, instead of flying/hovering in the air day and night. The Latios from Pinball RS is just... comic. Whether it's on the ground or not, it's always in a horizontal, flying position. They really disgraced my third-favourite Pokémon.

Garchomp's sprite was one of the few that improved from DP to Platinum. The Garchomp of Platinum suddenly looks like more of the dragon it really is. Garchomp's a carnivorous predator, and Platinum made it look just right. The PMD Garchomp is, imo, very undersized. Garchomp is supposed to be as tall as Salamence is long, and they really embarrased it with a body height smaller than Infernape's.

Gardevoir improved by a million times when DP came out. Gardevoir now had both arms visible, a much better-looking hairstyle and a less disturbing pose. Seriously, how many girls do you know that walk around like the RSEFrLg Gardevoir? I will make no comment about the Gardevoir of Platinum, because I hate saying anything bad about my fifth-favourite Pokémon. Ditto the PMD sprite. And the Range sprite. And the Pinball RS sprite.

Well, I've had enough talking about my first five favourite Pokémon now. Who knows, I might then rant on about my next five favourite: Sceptile, Darkrai, Azelf, Weavile, Heracross. Incidentally, the word CONVERSATION is an anagram of VOICES RANT ON.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]