It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Pokemon Compliment Sandwich Topic 
THE POWER IS ON!

A compliment sandwich is meant to be a way to share opinions unbiasedly. You have three elements to a compliment sandwich: a first and a third "compliment" category that serves as the bread. The second element is something you dislike to serve the "meat." I saw this idea on another forum and I thought it was pretty clever; I also thought our forum could benefit from it because I see so many horribly biased opinions like "All of the Sinnoh Pokemon sux!" I find that highly improbable and more likely the result of people going into a situation (like a new game, and Diamond and Pearl are a perfect example of this phenomenon) with the mindset that they'll dislike (or, conversely, love) everything about it.

Eventually I'll post four compliment sandwiches (one for each region), but you could also do them for types. I'll post Kanto now to get the ball rolling. Feel free to post a compliment sandwich on any of the regions or types but, please, try to back up your reasons for why a Pokemon is the bread/meat... and maybe try not to pick incredibly obvious responses like Lucario / Bidoof / Garchomp for Sinnoh or Charizard / Kakuna / Gengar for Kanto.

Kanto

{dewgong} - This should be of little surprise to anybody who knows me. Dewgong is awesome and has been my very favorite Pokemon for years now. I think it's really cute, I love the animal it's based on, and I love how it always smiles no matter what the circumstances. It's also a dual Water/Ice-type Pokemon and those are two of my favorite types. My favorite Elite Four member uses one (Lorelei), it was awesome in the "The Misty Mermaid" episode and it's great in the card game. And Dewgong got Hydration in Diamond and Pearl, so there's finally a reason to use him over the more powerful Water/Ice Pokemon!

{scyther} - Sorry, but Scyther has always been one of my least favorite Kanto Pokemon. I don't hate it but it's just not one of my favorites; I'm pretty much neutral toward the thing because it just doesn't grab me in any positive ways. And the negative ways it stands out (the fact that I like Pinsir more, the fact that it has some really stupid fans) aren't enough for me to dislike it. It's just... there.

{jynx} - After Dewgong, Jynx is my favorite Pokemon. I always thought it was a cool how she was an obviously female Pokemon who could kick ass. She's also really cute, especially in the anime, and her character is quite comical (especially the whole "whoops I fainted and left my hair behind" thing present in some games). She also embodies two of my favorite types (Ice and Psychic) and, after the whole racial allegation thing, she was recolored my favorite color (purple). Lots to love about her! I'm also glad she didn't receive an evolution in DP after seeing Electivire and Magmortar.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:20 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Hmmm. I'll do one for bug types because no one would think of doing that first.

BUGS

{butterfree} - There is honestly nothing about Butterfree that I don't like. It always seems cheerful, happy, and carefree, which is a quality i like. Butterfree was my favorite pokemon on Ash's team in the anime, and when he released it ( ;.; ) I refused to have anything to do with pokemon for ages, until about the time when GSC came out. In addition, caterpie is cuuuuuuuuuute :3

{drapion} and {flygon} - "But Drapion and Flygon aren't bugs" you say. That is my point. Game Freak hates bugs, and they know it, and they know we know it, but they still refuse to create new good bug types. Both of these pokemon are all based directly from bugs; Drapion is a scorpion and Flygon is a dragonfly. Both of these pokemon are in the Bug breeding group and are (along with Gliscor, whom I didn't include in this discussion because Gliscor is based off of a type of bat) the only non-bugs in the Bug breeding group. Drapion's pre-evo, Skorupi, even IS a bug type. So why aren't Drapy and Flygon bugs? Would it really have been that difficult for Drapion to be Bug/Dark (better off being poison/dark than be bug/poison though) or for Flygon to be Bug/Dragon? I fail to understand why GF feels its nessesarry to protray almost every bug as weak. Notice, there are only a few bug types that can really be considered good in a competitive environment - Heracross, Forretress, Yanmega, Scizor, and thats about it. Almost every other bug in the game is, at best, lower UU. I don't think there is any other type with that sort of tier spread

{burmy} , {wurmple} , {combee} - These three are up here not because I like them, frankly, I despise Wurmple, and Burmy/Combee are a pain in the ass to get. No, these are here because they show that GF is still capable of have creative ideas for new pokemon, which I enjoy. Unfortunatly for these three, it was only shown in the way they evolve, but still, the spark is there. Yes, thats a good thing.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:34 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

as my name sugests i like dragons, that being said i still find them sometimes anoying and so i shall make a sandwhich of them

{dragonite} The first fully evolved dragon pokemon which as far as i am conserned is horrible. People may argue " it's got brilliant stats" and "Its the best dragon" however i have counter arguments, 1. most dragons have good stats dragonite in that respect is not special 2. it is clearly not, as it is similar to most fully evolved dragons: having a second type of flying and learning powerful moves. I think its pre-evoltuion, dragonair, is better as it has less of a disagvantage against ice and you may say "it losed its imunity to ground" yes but it loses its' weakness to rock so its take your pick. Additinal: Its orange i mean Wtf blue blue orange?

{altaria} i dislike this pokemon alot, mainly for the fact it is clearly the worst dragon ever and the fact it looks more like tweety pie that a dragon. If you say its not based on a dragon then why is it a dragon, you can say vibrava i not based on a dragon either but that is based on a dragon fly, the only thing i can see wrong with that is the fact it evolves from an ant and you could argue the shelgon looks nothing like one but its supose to be chanhing like a bug (which alot of dragons are starting to resemble)

{horsea} {seadra} {kingdra} should have been given a secondry dragon type from the start, even when it did it had to be given a special object to make it dragon dipte being the dragon species. It should have either be given the dragon elemnt from the begining in which case its dragon moves would have been useful or none at all like gyarados and re classified as the sea horse pokemon.

most of my complaints are purly superficial and i dont care they are the only problems with the pokemon. that and the fact salamance is very over rated... Coming next moan why i dislike various flying pokemon

Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:07 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Johto:

{lanturn} - Like Dewgong, Lanturn always has a smile on his face. Johto has some pretty shallow Pokemon, and is definitely the most "useless" generation as far as battling goes, but Lanturn sees a bit of use, due to his duel type. He resists fire, ice, and water, 3 of the most common types of moves used. He's definitely not invincible though; he doesn't have amazing base stats (aside from HP), and watch out for EQ. Overall, he's not a bad Pokemon to use on your team.

{sunflora} - I don't hate Sunflora. I actually had a very hard time deciding what Pokemon to use as meat, because I like most of the Johto Pokemon. This Pokemon just stands out as obnoxiously gay (according to Frost =P) and is not particularly useful in battle. That being said, it does take a pretty large amount of effort to GET one; you have to get a Sun Stone, which isn't easy to win. He just seems like a filler Pokemon that Gamefreak created to bring the count of Pokemon up to 251, as there is nothing amazing about this Pokemon. I also hate this forum's Sunflora icon.

{donphan} - One of the first Johto Pokemon I was introduced to, thanks to Pokemon: The First Movie. Being only ground type, he's not 4x weak to ice/water/grass, and is a great choice for a team in G/S/C. He's large and cute, and reminds me of my dog who recently passed away for some reason - which gives him a bit of charm. He's mean looking on the outside, but a sweety inside. :3 I restarted my Silver Version a few weeks ago and trained a Donphan -- and named him after my dog, Harley. After being disappointed by all my Pokemon's Hidden Power, I check Harley's, and it just happens to be Bug. He made a great addition to my team, and now he can hit Psychic and Dark!

Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:58 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm making a sandwich of Sneasel, Rapidash and Crobat, my favorite Pokemon

{sneasel} Sneasel doesn't have moves that are THAT good, but I really love it because it's fast and it looks good too. I always teach it TM moves like Blizzard and Fury Cutter in every game it's been in since G/S/C

{crobat} Crobat is the leader of my Diamond version party because if its speed and moves. It knows Confuse Ray, Bite, Air Cutter and Fly and is my mosy useful Pokemon. The only complaint Ih ave about it is that its attack is a little low for my liking.

{rapidash} Rapidash is awesome because it be a pretty unicorn :D Anyway, I really like it because it has a high speed and when it has moves like Flare Blitz and Flame Thrower, it's really good :]

Last edited by fake star on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:27 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'll make one on Bug Types as opposed to the Salamence/Arbok/Garchomp I'll be expected to do on Dragons (I know Arbok is not a dragon, its a serpent which are related to dragons, blah blah blah).

{scizor}
Easily my favourite bug type. With a single boost of Agility, Swords Dance after they switch in, hang on using Focus Sash/Occa Berry, hit them back with Swarmed X-Scizor when you predict a Baton Pass, its all pretty killing for me. I love it when I get in two Agilitys and three Swords Dances before they send in a Weavile and Ice Punch me, expecting a Baton-Pass to Salamence when I actually throw at them an X-Scizor. Its not rare for me to sweep teams with a Scizor.

{giratina}
Call me crazy but I absolutely fell off my chair when I saw a picture of this guy's Origin Form. UGLY to the power of infinity times infinity is de-exaggerating for this guy. He never looked cool, either, because I only liked him for being the god of death: Cool enough, but not in appearances. So I have to say that right now I have no respect for this none-bug type Bug Pokemon.

{heracross}
You won't believe the number of times people fall for End/Salac Reversal Heracross. In my year group, thats ok, they're all ubers who use nothing but Rayquazas, but while experimenting on Shoddybattle... Its amazing. Firstly, they send out a Ninetales, and my Heracross uses Earthquake while they throw back a Fire Blast. After that they always use another Fire Blast, and I Endure it before sweeping them with Reversal. And so for this reason, Heracross is my second favourite bug type (in case you care, my next few are Yanmega, Forretress and Ninjask).

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:44 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Ooh, this should be interesting.
Hmm...

Sinnoh:

{porygon-z}: This guy's just a little winner for me. He's everything I've liked about the Porygon line, and now that Sinnoh spun around, the line's potential skyrocketed. His Speed may be on the lacking side, but his SA rivals that of Alakazam, and what's not to like about something that strong that can use Boltbeam?

{staravia}: To be perfectly honest, I could swap in Bibarel for this thing and it wouldn't make much of a difference. Staravia annoys me because every time I try to look for the Trophy Garden's daily special, most of the time Staravia shows up, and then I have to sit through that annoying Intimidate dialogue. (Bibarel is basically the same, except in the Great Marsh instead.) As if finding those Porygon/Eevee/Bonsly etc. wasn't hard enough, now I have to skip past unnecessary words?

{bronzong}: I fell in love with this guy when I saw him. He has the same type combination as another of my liked Pokemon, Metagross, who only has 2 weaknesses. His ability (either one) will remove another of his existing weaknesses, basically making him almost unassailable due to his very high Defense stats. It may not be the perfect wall, but it defends against many types of attacks efficiently, and also has some deadly options of his own. In PMD2, the abilities were a reason to fear his power; since in PMD Pokemon keep both of their possible abilities, Bronzong truly has no weakness in PMD2.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:46 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'll do one for grass types.

{carnivine} - Although Carnivine certainly isn't the best Pokemon out there for competitive battling, he's cute and awesome. What can I say? I fell in love with him at first sight. I adore how his looks just scream 'silly' to me, and he's very interesting to boot. If I ever get into EV training, Carnivine will definitely be the first Pokemon I train, even if I never use him. And I'll name him Sampson, just because. Oh, and James owns one too, so it's obviously cool.

{bulbasaur} - I never was very fond of Bulbasaur when I was younger. I don't hate him or anything..he just doesn't appeal to me. I'm more into Pokemon for looks, rather than for competitive battling, and Bulbasaur doesn't seem all that cute to me. He's a decent Pokemon, but he's just not one of my favorites.

{gloom} - I was originally going to put Cherrim here, but I decided against it. I love Gloom, he's just so cute and hugable (well, he would be if he didn't stink). He was one of the first Pokemon I learned about, as the first episode of Pokemon I ever watched was the episode where Ash rescued Erika's Gloom from a fire. Since then, he's always had a special place in my heart. :3

Last edited by Valentine on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Water's my favourite type, but there are tons of Water Pokemon, so it's kinda hard to sieve out ones I like from ones which pale in comparison, so I'll feature Water Pokemon in my sandwich. I'll like to separate them by region since they are so numerous.

Hoenn's Water Types

{wailord} - Sure, he isn't as good as others in battle, but there's something about its looks that endears it to me. The fact that the whale is one of my favourite animals definitely helps, and I also adore goofy looking Pokemon, a category which its pre-evo, Wailmer, falls into. It was the first Water type I used in the Hoenn Generation, and it did pretty well for me, utilising a mixed moveset (hey, it's for in-game use after all) of Surf, Ice Beam and Earthquake and Rest. Definitely worth a look if you are not into competitive battling.

{huntail} / {gorebyss} - The Clamperl family suffers from being too generic - being a pure Water type, they are just filler material imo. There are a few other better pure Water types around, Milotic but to name one. I personally think a second type is needed for Water types to really stand out. Lanturn springs to mind if you want to add Electric to the mix. Likewise, Ground for Swampert and Whiscash and Flying for Pelipper makes things a little more interesting. That's not to say that the two are horrible though, it's just that there are better alternatives.

{whiscash} - Another Pokemon in the "goofy" category, I actually prefer Whiscash to Swampert despite the two of them being very similar, since they share the same types and also in terms of moves learned. Ground eliminates the obvious weakness to Electric, and throwing on Ice Beam would make opponents think twice about sending in Grass. Grass moves also aren't commonly used compared to Electric ones, Thunderbolt being my prime example.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:58 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I guess I'm going to make four sandwiches, one for each region/generation; guess it's easier (and shorter) than using types or any other category.

Kanto Gh, there are so many Pokémon I like from this generation it was hard to make this sandwich. I wish I could put some toppings and more compliments. Anyway.

{rapidash} Rapidash was my very first favorite Pokémon, many years ago, when I first got to know the show and games. It's still in my favorites list, even though I honestly don't use it in battle. I should, though, because it has some nice stats for a Physical/Special Sweeper (this actually makes me want to train one). Rapidash is beautiful and captivating, and evolves from cute Ponyta, another favorite of mine. Besides, I'm a fan of horses: I have a book that features more than a thousand horse pictures, and they're all gorgeous.

{golbat} Because Golbat is just one of the ugliest things I've ever seen in the Poké-world. It's just hideous. That monstrous mouth and tongue, eww, just remembering it's R/B/Y sprite yucks me. Listening to its cry ticks me off, and it's freaking annoying that Golbat's everywhere in Victory Road.

{mewtwo} I guess Mewtwo is my favorite legendary. He's also the star of my favorite Pokémon movie, and I always use him when I play Super Smash Bros Melee. He was also the very first humanoid Pokémon to appear, and anthro animals pretty much kick butt. I believe I'm more of a fan of movie Mewtwo than in-game Mewtwo, even though the latter is still awesome.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:52 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I will do a sandwich on the Fairy egg group. They are my favourite type.

{clefairy} / {jigglypuff} These two pokemon and there evolution are very close. They are both Normal, but can learn Thunderbolt,Flamethrower and other moves that make them a good Pokemon for in-game Battling. I also like them for there cuteness.

{togepi} Togepi I can't understand why it was put in the video game, besisdes the fact of Misty holding onto it in the Anime, and to complete the Pokedex. Its moves are horrible, and it wastes room in your party early on in GSC.

{chansey} Chansey and its Evolutions are the best of the Fairy egg group, because it can be used in competitive battling and in-game. The use of the healing moves also help make it be a good strong Pokemon with its stats. Also in the Anime everytime the use of a Pokecenter, there is a cute Chansey, or Blissey, helping Nurse Joy.

I love the addition of Happiny to the evolution of Chansey.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:52 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm doing my sandwich on the dark type.

Absol - Absol is awesome. It's really pretty, it can fill numerous battle roles (Critisol, Perish Trapper, Baton Passer and even a Pressure Wall)
it also reminds me of my dog, with simular names (she's called Angel), which is quite strange because she's black. I think it is my favourite overall.

Sneasel - It's like a native american ninja if that would suck. It would also later evolve into something quite pretty but grossly OU,
and becomes the pride of every narrow minded nooblet unable to think-up something original. Fortunately I'm a vegetarian.
So I'd rather have a Shiftry, due to their type, as I prefer Cacturne.

Houndoom - Maybe I have a soft spot for canines or something but it looks like a one-headed Cerberus, with horns.
If that wasn't enough it is also worth the trial to have it on your team due to it's high stats and versatile movepool.

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:54 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Cuteness :3

{skitty} - So gosh darn adorable! I'm secretly gaga for many cutesy Pokemon, and Skitty is by far my favorite cutie-pie. Her squinty eyes make me go "Awwww :3" and her lovely little tail make me shout "Meow :3". Her evolution, Delcatty, is less cute, but Skitty still holds a place in my heart as my little rosebud. Skitty never fails to make me smile. Along with three others, Skitty is a Pokemon that threatens to dethrone Registeel as my ultimate favorite Pokemon. :0

{milotic} - Simply put, not cute nor beautiful at all. I don't understand why there are fanboys who drool over this slimy serpent. It's an aberration, not a killer beauty.

{cherrim} - My second favorite cutie-pie. Cherrim starts out as a shy little bud, hiding itself from you. But come the sunshine, it bursts out cuter than you can imagine. It's so bright and cheery that just looking at the Cherrim plushie I have makes me smile. :)

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I'll do anime charatcers.

Ash: He's been with us since episode one, and throughout the years he's really grown up and matured from a small town boy with everything to prove and nothing to lose, to champion of both the Orange Islands League and the Battle Frontier (not to mention the multiple quarterfinal and round of 16 appearences in the various Pokemon leagues he'e been in). He's captured a good amount of Pokemon and made friends with all them and a good amount of the people he's come across.

Dawn: To me, Dawn just seems like a cheap copy of May, a 10 year old girl who eventually becomes a coordinator, except with a lot less personality. The "Ash being a tutor to the world of Pokemon to a girl" thing worked well the first time, but they didn't really need to do it again. Of course, they needed girl protaganist on the show, but (here it comes) I really believe that they could've brought Misty back (the good Misty, not the 4th and 5th season doing nothing but whining and pulling Brock's ear Misty.)

James: To get back on Frost's side...but really, James easily has the most personality of Team Rocket. Perhaps it's just that I still think it's funny when he gets attacked by whatever grass Pokemon he happens to have. Of course, I liked him in the earlier seasons more when he just wasn't used for comic relief. To me, he's one of the more enjoyable characters of the show.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:05 am
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I will do a sandwich on Ghost/Poison types:

Bread
{gastly} Call me strange, but Gastly always seemed rather cute to me. It licks everything it sees, just like a little baby, and it can even disappear. I even like those vampire fangs it's got. Mostly, however, I like the way its the master of EV Training for my Starmie. The grey wisps of smoky air are quite appealing too, and the round face kinda reminds me of Snorlax.

Tuna Yuk
{haunter} If Gengar didn't evolve from Haunter the moment Gastly evolves, I might not even bother getting one. The cute, grey wisps of smoke and round, smiling face disappears and gets replaced by a poisonous purple triangle with spikes on its head. The eyes now become evil-looking, and even the tongue is grotesque. In fact, the only time I would ever want to see a Haunter is when I'm making a Gengar set or when I'm looking for a Spell Tag (rubbish in battle, but cool to have in the bag).

Bread
{gengar} I like Gengar for the fact that not a day goes by without sticking a banana peeling on the pavement, treading on the Duke of York's flowerbeds or offering guns to murderers that contain paint instead of bullets. Every Christmas, at least one Gengar goes around stuffing rotten fishes into kids' stockings. Battle skill is also great. Hypnosis is great , especially on Sweepers. Focus Blast cripples that Blissey they send out on you. Cress is ruined by Shadow Ball. Overall, Gengar is an excellent Pokemon.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]