It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Overrated Pokémon 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Two Pokemon in my opinion that are overrated are {Articuno} , and {Smeargle}

1 word. Stats.

Articuno and Smeargle are highly recognized as the only pokemon that can learn a perfect accuracy modifier (lock-on), and a OHKO (mainly sheer cold)

Although Articuno can do this, and relatively easily, he can easily be taken out by a rock slide. (4x weakness to rock :lol: )

Smeagle IS versatilehe has some of the worst stats in the game (he can learn a PA mod and a OHKO just like Articuno.)

Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:54 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Hmmmmmm...I'm not sure about this but I think Scizor is kinda overatted I have seen it in many trainer cards and a simple ember can crack it up.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:27 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Never realized that, but blissey is kind of overrated. 1 Close Cobat, or Cross Chop, and chances are she's .... Dead.

Last edited by Pichu Agents on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:35 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Um, is there a reason that you just randomly quoted your previous post without changing any of its contents?

Also, people need to stop using excuses like "Well, I think so-and-so is overrated because it can be taken out with one [move that it's weak against]." Wow, Pokemon other than Spiritomb and Sableye have weaknesses?! You don't say! Even ignoring that incredibly lame reasoning, considering all but two Pokemon will have some sort of weakness, people who write things like this always use some sort of bad hyperbole like "Mantine gets killed from one Thundershock." A few Pokemon with 4x weaknesses can actually survive a powerful move from its weaknesses as long as it isn't Choice Banded/Lensed; I don't think they're in fear of Vine Whip, Ember or Powder Snow, thanks. Hell, even something with the Defense of glass like Blissey can survive most Fighting moves.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:51 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Well yeah but Scizor looses a great amount speed after it's evolution and many quick pokemon can learn a decent fire move and blast it.I might be wrong but that's how I see it.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:11 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

{pikachu} is overrated.When I'm playing my ds in public the amount of kids that come around telling me about pikachu being the strongest pokemon ever is ridiculous.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:52 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Frost wrote:

Also, people need to stop using excuses like "Well, I think so-and-so is overrated because it can be taken out with one [move that it's weak against]." Wow, Pokemon other than Spiritomb and Sableye have weaknesses?! You don't say!

lolz, i was just about to post a comment very similar to that one.
well spoken, Frost.

everyone wants Gallade to be an amazing mixed sweeper...
but he's just not. he gets my nomination.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:46 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Read everyone's responses.
I think Gyarados is overrated...it's speed is too little
to use it's earthquake effectively. (Not saying it's bad...just overrated).
I also think that Gallade is overrated...I can never get it to
survive long enough.
I'm not sure if anyone uses Hitmonchan but this forum mentions it a bit...
I find him overrated. His speed isn't quick enough to make up for his
extremely lackluster special defense, which is added to by any use of
close combat.

Someone said they think that Lucario is overrated. I have to agree.
Steel Fighting. Steel is resistant to a lot of things. Fighting is good against
5 things (Normal, Ice, Steel, Rock, Dark).
In all honesty I believe that fighting is the best type in the game,
as to why Nintendo has yet to make a real fighting legendary or
fighting type that can be placed in the "top tier" (correct me if I'm wrong).
It can learn earthquake to take care of its fire weakness. And it can learn
psychic to take care of its fighting weakness. So what is left? Ground?
Yea Earthquake is one of the most used moves in the game, so slap a berry on there
or a choice scarf and it is all yours.

I've practiced this rant a lot if you can't tell. Lucario is my friend's favorite.

Btw I also think that Venusaur, Blaziken, and Blastoise are Overrated, but I like
Venusaur because he is a pokemon with a plant on his back :)
And Blastoise is so badass. Like. Wow. Cannons on his back. Sweet.
But I don't want to get ranted at for combining strength and looks.
So I'll leave it at that :D

Koffing has the happiest smile in the world :)

Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:38 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Bliss. Everybody thinks that it's so Uber good and incredible, but really it's just a set-up fodder.

If you have any problems with breeding, Egg moves, IV:s or EV:s, you can ask me. Feel free to ask other things related to competive battling.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:01 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Bushin wrote:

Actually i like {gardevoir} / {gallade} ... *Drooling like a stupid kid...* :lol:

Agreed

[quote=bushin]Now back to the topic...
I would say {latias} and {latios} put aside the fact that are the most f**** cutie little things in the game... :D
I don't see no reason for they being uber...except the fact that they can use Soul Dew... :?[/quote]

And soul dew is just about impossible to get. and by the way {snorlax} is the cutest thing in the game.

koipen wrote:
Bliss. Everybody thinks that it's so Uber good and incredible, but really it's just a set-up fodder.

have you ever played against skarm/bliss? obviously not. have you ever play against bliss? obvously not.

Pikachu must die! :twisted:

one of my friends said wobbafet :lol:

personally, I think {charizard} is (even though i love him *~*). he has low defenses, and combined with the popularity of stealth rocks t becomes extremely dangerous to switch him in.

Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:21 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: somewhere in time. following your life. plotting to control you.
bliss is overated.
and magikarp is underated 0_0 my freind EV'd it in attack and speed and then had it flail with a focus sash 0_0 that thing pwned

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Yeah, not even being able to OHKO a Pichu, the worst Pokemon in the game at taking physical attacks, with a full-powered Flail makes Magikarp so underrated.

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:14 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: somewhere in time. following your life. plotting to control you.
:edit: i realized about 5 seconds later what i said and deleted it :shock:

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Smaug wrote:
Well yeah but Scizor looses a great amount speed after it's evolution and many quick pokemon can learn a decent fire move and blast it.I might be wrong but that's how I see it.

You see, the thing is, with an Occa Berry, Scizor has NO weaknesses. Scizor is probably one of the biggest powerhouses in BL.

rumetz wrote:

[quote=bushin]Now back to the topic...
I would say and put aside the fact that are the most f**** cutie little things in the game...
I don't see no reason for they being uber...except the fact that they can use Soul Dew...

And soul dew is just about impossible to get. and by the way is the cutest thing in the game. [/quote]

Lati@s are uber even without the soul dew. Installments like Dragon Pulse make them so. A base speed on par with Ambipom and a Sp. Attack to match Gengar's is really all they need to wreak havoc.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:29 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

God, where to start. First of all, most Dragon types, i.e. Salamence and Garchomp. I never understood the hype with Salamence at all, since it just seems like the Third Generation's Dragonite rip-off. Garchomp is just WAY too overused, annoying, and as Frost said earlier, ugly as hell.

On the topic of Garchomp, I think I should mention some of the Pokemon it's normally in the same team with: Blissey, Skarmory, and the ocassional Lucario. I think I'll start with the overjoyed nurse's assistant. I don't understand how something as creepy and joyful as that weird kid in my Geometry class can be so evil during battles. It is very useful, and it was okay to see it often at first. But sooner or later, it just started turning into the same thing I've been hearing from people here and on other forums; Blissey this, and Blissey that. It gets so freaking annoying when you're not even five minutes into it a "productive" team bulding conversation.

Skarmory isn't as bad as the others. It's useful in battle (If the people using them aren't complete and total noobs.) but it gets tad bit overrated after awhile.

Now for Lucario. I don't even want to say the number of people I've seen that are completely obsessed with this thing. Not that being overused has anything to do with it, but I'm really getting tired of seeing so many people using it. The good thing is that they normally die from an EQ or a strong fire type attack, God, Buddah, whomever forbid it's sashed. I really thought that seeing others use it over and over was enough, but apparently I was wrong, as I've seen on other forums where the Lucario tards run free. This is all I have to say for now. I'm just making my headache worse right now. ><

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Youkou no Mugon wrote:
Nearly every single legendary past Jhoto

'Nuff said

Amen.

Overrated:
Dialga- Dragon-type hyper beam. What utter fail.
Nosepass and his evolution- I don't care how good he is, that should be illegal.
Blissey- All it takes is a decent physical.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:23 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Frost wrote:
Yeah, not even being able to OHKO a Pichu, the worst Pokemon in the game at taking physical attacks, with a full-powered Flail makes Magikarp so underrated.

Don't be so harsh to him.

Maybe he's near a source of cyanide gas or mercury fumes.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:25 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Overrated:
Dialga- Dragon-type hyper beam. What utter fail.
Now I don't recall Dialga ever having just a Dragon-type Hyper Beam. It receives great moves, such as Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, maybe Ice Beam, and the ever destructive Dragon Pulse.
Nosepass and his evolution- I don't care how good he is, that should be illegal.
And if a Pokemon should be illegal, that doesn't make it overrated, unless you meant that is was extraordinarily ugly, which everyone's already picked up, therefore making it not overrated.
Blissey- All it takes is a decent physical.
No it doesn't. Garchomp's Earthquake/Brick Break is certainly a `ddecent physical` but that doesn't take out Blissey. And any smart person wouldn't switch in Blissey on an Infernape anyway.[/quote]

Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:06 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Garchomp + 1 Swords Dance OHKOs Blissey.

Here's a little tidbit on Blissey....

Back in early advance, many people used calm and Modest natures, with solely 252 Defense and a sh*t load of HP. Someone then realised "hey, it doesn't need that special defense nature to really protect itself - it can do that with a small to almost no investment. Go with Bold, it will keep her alive during EQ".

And that worked then.

DP comes around, many fixed into the idea "Bold > Calm", but then people relaised Specsmence, Focus Blast Gengar, Aura sphere Luke Skywalker, PZ Hyper beam all dealt massive numbers to it. And, most EQs were still kiling it, along with surprise Close Combat from Specsed Lucarios. It switched back to Calm.

Blissey still remained powerful for a while, but Cresselia, Snorlax, and others rose in usage, while Blissey fell. ALOT.

I believe that it is overrated, and for many reasons - it is stopped for the most part by taunt (most things are faster), relies on softboiled which is usually PP stalled out, or killed whichever comes first.
While most carry Ice beam, its questionable as to why, as she does little dmag to metagame threats that don't slaughter her (ie, sala is a POOR example).

Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:46 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: Tin Tower, Navel Rock, maybe I'm flapping right behind you.
Lugia. I don't mind it's great attacks and skills, but people keep considering it over Ho-oh on Navel Rock, which really upsets me!

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:14 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Ho-oh_rules wrote:
Lugia. I don't mind it's great attacks and skills, but people keep considering it over Ho-oh on Navel Rock, which really upsets me!
Couldn't you just get both?

Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:11 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Yes, you can. You can take one of two paths, but you could always just turn back and go down the other path to get the second bird. That said, Ho-oh_rules was pulling that "fact" out of his ass.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I think he meant he was upset because he loves Ho-oh, but people prefer Lugia.

But idk, I couldn't really understand what he meant.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:53 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think Kingdra's getting a bit overrated. Once, when I still had a Draco Meteor-Haze Dragonite, I asked people on Shoddy, "Which Pokémon is better than Dragonite and can learn Draco Meteor and Haze?" Five seconds later, aboute ten people had typed in `Kingdra`.

Now is Kingdra really that good? It received Waterfall and Dragon Pulse in D/P, which made it very good. It could now sufficently Dragon Dance or stick in a Rain Dance with Swift Swim, but its defenses are too low to support its speed. Unlike Scizor, Pokémon don't require a super-effective hit to take down Kingdra.

Back on the last page, DarkScyther happened to go on a rant, making her headache worse, about how Salamence and Garchomp were so overused. I would have easily agreed with her about the pair of them having a tadbit of overcentralization, what with ChainChomp coming in, knocking down the Suicune/Bronzong/Weavile, and then a Salamence that killed the rest with DD and Outrage.

But this is a topic on Overrated Pokémon, and I don't quite see how Salamence and Garchomp are overrated. I'd say that Smogon were slightly overrating Chomp by moving him up to uber, but Salamence...

Well, with a Focus Sash covering the frailty, it can stick in just one Dragon Dance to outspeed Electrode and Outrage the rest of the world. What's more, it has new possibilties that I appear to be the only one to have noticed: Salamence gets Aqua Tail, which is like a Waterfall that trades power for accuracy. And isn't it true that some people prefer Fire Blast over Flamethrower for the same reason?

P.S. Magikarp IS underrated. Yes, it can actually KO a Pichu with Flail. I'll admit that it can't really KO much else, but a Pichu is enough to make it better than the horrible piece of overcooked cabbage that people see Magikarp as, isn't it?

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:38 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

i think that {wobbuffet} is really overrated. the thing can't even learn any attacking moves! i mean, maybe its not as bad as i think, but i still think its overrated.

Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next