It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:52 pm



Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Overrated Pokémon 
Author Message
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 4:04 am
Posts: 1
Location: I'm in your room, and I'm in your bed. I'm in your life, and I'm in your head.
What pokémon do you think are just plain overrated?

I seriously think that {regigigas} is filling a position too big for itself.

_________________
Ask me about League.


Wed May 07, 2008 12:14 pm
Profile
Lite Four
Lite Four
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:21 pm
Posts: 3471
Your avatar. And wow, I have never seen anyone consider Regigigas their favorite Pokemon. You must be imagining it, because stupid little kids continue to drool over garbage like Blaziken, Gardevoir, and Gallade.

_________________
Image


Wed May 07, 2008 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:17 am
Posts: 1018
Krisp wrote:
Regigigas their favorite Pokemon


He didn't say it was his favourite, he said it was overrated.

I think Gallade is overrated. People go crazy trying to breed one, but it has to be a MALE Ralts, it HAS to have a good nature and needs good IV's. I don't think it's worth it at all. Something like Alakazam might be a bit better, since it can learn punches (I think), imo.

_________________
Image


Last edited by Patchy on Thu May 08, 2008 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.



Wed May 07, 2008 11:56 pm
Profile
Lite Four
Lite Four
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:21 pm
Posts: 3471
Um...to be overrated SOMEONE has to like it, and I never said it was HIS favorite.
And wow, Alakazam is really going to do some damage with 50 base attack and 75 BP punches!

_________________
Image


Thu May 08, 2008 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:17 am
Posts: 1018
I never said it was the best. I just suggested it.

And y'know, I didn't mean it that way about Alakazam. I meant it like, if you use Ice Punch you could freeze them, not do damage. And yeah, I know the chances aren't great, but it's a chance.

And it was a SUGGESTION. Not a fact. ¬_¬

_________________
Image


Thu May 08, 2008 4:51 am
Profile
THE POWER IS ON!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 am
Posts: 1558
Location: Purple Ranger
Any Eeveelution other than Jolteon or Vaporeon. Except maybe Flareon because everybody is aware of how much he sucks. :(

Other than the two names I just listed, the Eeveelutions can be generally summed up as follows:
-Mediocre stats: ~87 base on average, which isn't that great anymore, as seen by Umbreon's inability to tank as well in DP.
-Poorly maligned stats; three stats will always suck due to the HORRID 60/60/65/95/110/130 spread inherit to every Eevee.
-Abysmal movepools... hooray, Flareon and his physical movepool consisting of Fire Fang, Iron Tail and absolutely nothing else!!
-"Eh" abilities outside of the original trio: Leaf Guard sucks. Snow Cloak fails. Synchronize is eh. Flash Fire's even kind of lame.
-Incredible popularity, which is kinda understandable, and even battle usage, which is not understandable, despite such flaws.
-Eevee fanatics who want an Eeveelution for every goddamn typing even though Leafeon and Glaceon were both massive balls of suck.


Thu May 08, 2008 3:18 pm
Profile
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 3111
Location: clegavel
Overrated? Not including the ones that have already been said, I'd say probably Dragonite, Garchomp, Rampardos, Pikachu/Raichu, Dialga, Palkia, and Flygon. Only ones that come to my mind right now.

And by "over-rated", I mean it's called something better than it actually is. Pokemon like Porygon-Z, Alakazam, Regirock, and Bronzong are called exactly what they are.

_________________


Thu May 08, 2008 4:20 pm
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:24 pm
Posts: 27
regigigas it's ability is a bad thing and it doesn't even have that good moves

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Fri May 09, 2008 9:14 am
Profile
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 3111
Location: clegavel
zapdosfan wrote:
regigigas it's ability is a bad thing and it doesn't even have that good moves

Yes it does. It has several excellent physical moves available. Its ability severely hampers it, however.

_________________


Fri May 09, 2008 2:38 pm
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 36
I would say that most dragon pkm are overated, one Ice Beam and *poof* Dragon gone.


Tue May 27, 2008 9:38 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:25 am
Posts: 627
Location: Singapore
Infernape. Why derive the name from Inferno? Makes Pokemon like Heatran and Moltres pale in comparison when you look at the names because Heat is just an Energy, just as Molten is just Melted... but Inferno on the other hand means something like Hell, or Hellish Fire....now, I don't think Infernape is more deserving of that description than legendary Pokemon like Moltres and Heatran. :? But then again, maybe Nintendo just ran out of words for describing Fire Pokemon....Torch, Combustion, Blaze, Molten, Heat, Flare, Lava, Magma, Erupt, Explosion, Cinder, Coal....they've basically used up anything that's got to do with Fire...


Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:37 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:39 am
Posts: 689
Location: Brazil-Minas Gerais
Frost wrote:

Any Eeveelution other than Jolteon or Vaporeon. Except maybe Flareon because everybody is aware of how much he sucks. :(
Other than the two names I just listed, the Eeveelutions can be generally summed up as follows:
-Mediocre stats: ~87 base on average, which isn't that great anymore, as seen by Umbreon's inability to tank as well in DP.
-"Eh" abilities outside of the original trio: Leaf Guard sucks. Snow Cloak fails. Synchronize is eh. Flash Fire's even kind of lame.
-Incredible popularity, which is kinda understandable, and even battle usage, which is not understandable, despite such flaws.
-Retarded fans want an Eeveelution for every goddamn typing even though Leafeon and Glaceon were both massive balls of suck.


Well,i'm not a retarded fan,but i still want more eeveelutions...
And Glaceon is not that bad if you're using a Hail Team...
Maybe nintendo do it right in the next ones...
Umbreon can't tank?
What about Curse?

123gojj wrote:
I would say that most dragon pkm are overated, one Ice Beam and *poof* Dragon gone.

I would like to see you say that after Garchomp uses his Yache Berry and Sword Dance on your face... :wink:
Trust me...it's not good when it happens...

Krisp wrote:
Your avatar. And wow, I have never seen anyone consider Regigigas their favorite Pokemon. You must be imagining it, because stupid little kids continue to drool over garbage like Blaziken, Gardevoir, and Gallade.


You're kidding,right...? :?
Actually i like {gardevoir} / {gallade} ... *Drooling like a stupid kid...* :lol:

Now back to the topic...
I would say {latias} and {latios} put aside the fact that are the most f**** cutie little things in the game... :D
I don't see no reason for they being uber...except the fact that they can use Soul Dew... :?

_________________
Image
Get your custom sprites,avatars and signatures at Froggy's Lilypad!
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*


Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:15 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:01 am
Posts: 204
Location: Riding on Salamence, looking for Bidoof to kill
I have to say, {dragonite} is overrated. Its got low speed (for OU Standard). Yes, {snorlax} and {bronzong} have low speeds, but at least they have the defenses to support that. Same with {tyranitar}.

Easily the most overrated Pokemon of all are {pikachu}, {bulbasaur}, {charmander} and {squirtle} (perhaps {venusaur} and {blastoise} as well). You won't believe the number of people in my year who use regular ubers ({giratina}, {rayquaza}) all hacked from Level 99, which makes their stats suck, and then stick on their team a {pikachu}. I ask you.

I don't think {garchomp} is that overrated. For goodness sake, 102 base speed and base 130 speed is great. People say that its the best, so powerful, team-sweeper. Unlike {pikachu} and {bulbasaur}, {garchomp} actually is a team-sweeper. So yeah.

And of course, there's {regigigas}. Perhaps {shaymin}, although a lot of people in my year have already found out how useless it is against ubers.

{blaziken} is Overrated with a capital O, V, E, R, R, A, T, E and D. I don't really need to explain this one to you.

And that's all!

_________________
I have absolutely no time on my hands, so if you're sending me a PM for whatever reason expect to receive a reply in a few years. Try to use my e-mail if you can.


Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:19 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:25 am
Posts: 627
Location: Singapore
Hmmm...for Lati twins, they have the Speed, Power, Enduranace and Movepool to wreck havoc in the Metagame, even without the Soul Dew. Gengar is Feared much already because of it's ability to sweep right? The chains preventing it from reaching Uber are its pathetic Defenses and Hit Points...the Lati Twins on the other hand, have no such chains pulling them down. They are very much like Gengar, except much better because they have better Endurance and Movepools. Therefore, if something is a lot better than the standard of OU Pokemon, do you think it should be OU? Overrated? Not really. {latios} {latias}

{dragonite} ISN'T Overrated. In case you haven't realised, it's the only Dragon Type Pokemon capable of learning Dragon Dance and Outrage. That Combo is by far one of the most feared combos in Battling because at least 80% of all OU Pokemon who aren't resistant towards Dragon type attacks get 1HKOed by it. You're basically owned if you didn't have a Steel Type or Someone capable of withstanding that attack in your Team. One Dragon dance is all it needs to start wrecking Havoc...it even outspeeds Weavile.

{garchomp} isn't overrated for OU, but it is certainly Overrated by people who want it to be Uber.

{regigigas} is definitetly overrated...quite useless if you ask me...


Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:33 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 737
Location: in the wonderful region of kanto
Nearly every single legendary past Jhoto

'Nuff said

_________________
Image

^^^spongedude made this. He is AWESOME!!


Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:01 am
Profile
THE POWER IS ON!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 am
Posts: 1558
Location: Purple Ranger
Here's something that's overrated: people who act like a Pokemon's tier in competitive battling is the be-all and end-all of forming an opinion on a Pokemon. Rationalizing how a Pokemon isn't overrated by spewing out a bunch of "so-and-so is OU or Uber because he's a good spinner or sweeper or words I don't know how to use!" rather than actually forming your own opinion on the Pokemon itself is very lame. I think Garchomp is ugly as hell and I just don't LIKE the thing. I could care less that it's ranked in blah, blah and blah tier in a highly specialized subset of the Pokemon fanbase. I find it overrated.

And also, yes, if you want to get technical and go competitive battle on me, almost all of the existing Eevees are pretty useless. Glaceon brings nothing to a Hail team and Hail teams aren't even viable in the first place because they're basically mono-Ice teams. Umbreon can no longer tank now that half of the threats in the metagame are Choice Banded roid ragers, plus it has absolutely zero offensive power once you put all of its staples moves in its set (Mean Look, Wish, Baton Pass). Leafeon gets walled by anything that resists Grass (now there's a deep candidate pool) and Flareon is quite possibly the biggest reject ever invented. Vaporeon is pretty much the only OU Eevee, with the occasional Jolteon or Espeon use as well. Three out of seven? Not all that spectacular.


Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:00 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:39 am
Posts: 689
Location: Brazil-Minas Gerais
Frost wrote:

And also, yes, if you want to get technical and go competitive battle on me, almost all of the existing Eevees are pretty useless. Glaceon brings nothing to a Hail team and Hail teams aren't even viable in the first place because they're basically mono-Ice teams. Umbreon can no longer tank now that half of the threats in the metagame are Choice Banded roid ragers, plus it has absolutely zero offensive power once you put all of its staples moves in its set (Mean Look, Wish, Baton Pass). Leafeon gets walled by anything that resists Grass (now there's a deep candidate pool) and Flareon is quite possibly the biggest reject ever invented. Vaporeon is pretty much the only OU Eevee, with the occasional Jolteon or Espeon use as well. Three out of seven? Not all that spectacular.


True...
But still one of my favorites though...
Back to {umbreon} ...
But Payback after some Curses WILL hurt...

_________________
Image
Get your custom sprites,avatars and signatures at Froggy's Lilypad!
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*


Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:46 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:25 am
Posts: 627
Location: Singapore
Ya know, power is all that matters during battles...it's lesson 1 for all trainers, looks don't count, strength does. Of course it's fine to love Good-looking Pokemon if they're strong....positive personnal opinions about certain Pokemon is much welcomed by all...but a bad personnal opinion about certain Pokemon only cripples your ability if you don't use a Pokemon just because it's Ugly or because you have the "I just don't like you" attitude. This kind of thinking is just plain crap for a trainer. (By "this" I mean not using a pokemon in battle because it's Ugly etc.)

There are only 2 ways to rate a Pokemon....Sight and Strength. (Some may rate from character but for the games I believe these are the only ways.) Only 1 of them applies at any 1 time. When you judge Pokemon for it's Looks, you don't consider its strength....similary, when you judge a Pokemon for strength, you take care that you really ignore the looks. You can't say a Pokemon is strong because it looks good, neither can you say a Pokemon looks good because it's strong. How much a person values a Pokemon is usually derived from either one of these ways or a balance of the 2, but if you're someone who likes battles, the second way of rating a pokemon is the only way. Perhaps this will explain why some of the posts are so "technical".


If you ask me, most people like Garchomp because it's strong, not because it looks really great or something. (It looks rather cool to me anyway) In terms of its strength, it certainly isn't overrated...Garchomp's Speed and Power is undeniable. However, if people start loving it for its looks, then you won't be wrong by saying its overrated because in your opinion it looks ugly. I'm sure most of us agree that Garchomp is strong right?

Overrate occurs when people think too highly of a particular something...in others words, Pokemon become overrated when their value is exaggerated. To tell whether a Pokemon is overrated, you must look at the area it is being valued for and see whether it is deserving of that. Regigigas is Overrated cos many just love it for it's Power when it really is crippled at the start of the battle. Again very technical, but people don't really like if for its looks, so we look at its battling ablities instead.

The Eevee evolutions are overrated in battle because like Frost said 4 out of 7 are quite useless in competitive play but many just love them all the same. In this case, I suppose they're valued more for their looks, as such, they're not overrated for their looks because they are so very cute.

Hmm...I hope I didn't make this confusing..... :)


Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:28 am
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 1:14 pm
Posts: 33
Why is Gallade considered garbage, all of a sudden?

From what I can tell, he has a good moveset and solid stats.

Plus, Psychic/Fighting combo type.

Anyway, on topic...While Lucario IS pretty good, it has quite possibly been overhyped to hell and back. :/


Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:51 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 205
Location: oh...noes.
Gallade has been overrated since the game came out. Personally I think Medicham's better.

I think Electivire is overrated more so, I've seen it OHKO'd by something not even super effective.

I do agree on the Lucario point though, in practically every trainer card I see;

-Gallade
-Lucario
-Blissey
-Electivire
-Bronzong
-Garchomp

This saddens me. ):

_________________
Image
thanks to hammy.


Last edited by Prof. Dom on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:59 am
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 1:14 pm
Posts: 33
This may just be me, but I personally think that Gyrados, while pretty powerful, isn't the uber powerhouse so many claim it to be. :/

Also, am I the only one who honestly thinks the Hitmon Pokemon are starting to lose their luster, so to speak?


Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:12 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 737
Location: in the wonderful region of kanto
Not really. In fact, i think they're getting better with age. Ecspecially Hitmonchan

_________________
Image

^^^spongedude made this. He is AWESOME!!


Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:40 pm
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 1:14 pm
Posts: 33
Meh, I always found myself prefering the Machop-line when I need a pure fighting type, is all. :/


Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:44 pm
Profile
THE POWER IS ON!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 am
Posts: 1558
Location: Purple Ranger
Maybe that's because the Machop line has always been better than anything with the prefix "Hitmon-" in its name.

Hitmonlee sucked in RBY and in subsequent games it became the only Hitmon who saw much use. Even then it was only UU at best. Hitmonchan was terrible from day one and stayed that way for three consecutive generations. Meanwhile, Hitmontop has always been decidedly "meh." They all got upgrades in DP. Hitmonchan got the elemental punches and an ability that finally made it less terrible, Hitmontop got a second useful ability, and Hitmonlee got some new moves as well. And despite their improvements, they're all still pretty much in the same place they always were... UU.

Not really overrated in battle if you ask me.


Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:53 pm
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 pm
Posts: 28
Hitmonchan is a beast in NU.

_________________
Image


Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:26 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.