It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:14 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Present: Conflicting Information 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I seem to have come across conflicting information about how to calculate damage for the move, Present. I also could be just reading it incorrectly.

First, the excerpts from the Pokémon Blue to Crystal Strategy Guide by Rusty Jones that I found at GameFAQs:

Damage Formula - Explanation of the variable X:
Quote:
X: Extra multipliers:
1. STAB - x1.5 if the move's type matches one of your types (even Normal-types get this bonus)
2. Type 1 - x0, x0.5, x1, or x2 based on the matchup of attack type vs. opponent's Type 1 (see the Type Chart)
3. Type 2 - x0, x0.5, x1, or x2 based on the matchup of attack type vs. opponent's Type 2, if any (see the Type Chart)

4. Random Number - x((217 + Z) / 255), where Z is a random number from 0 to 38

Section explaining how to calculate damage for Present - Final instructions which cover calculations that are part of the variable X:
Quote:
And the type multiplier step is applied twice. For a Normal move, all that means is that Rock and Steel are x1/4 instead of x1/2.

To me, this is confusing as he mentioned something that (I think) didn’t need to be mentioned. First, of course you will calculate it as a Normal move. Present is a Normal move and the special formula is only for Present. You perform steps 2 and 3 as required. The third step is only applied if there is a second type. Note also that he wrote “Rock and Steel”. I took this to mean a dual type (Rock-Steel) which, of course, would be 1/4 instead of 1/2. Just as Ghost would make it 0 even if it was combined with another type. The first time I read it, I was thinking that he meant to repeat steps 2 and 3 each twice for every type—even if it had only one type.

Excerpt from Psypoke’s TechDex Present entry:
Quote:
Secondly, the type effectiveness modifier becomes 1/4 if the opposing Pokemon is Rock or Steel, instead of the usual 1/2.

To me, that means that you calculate the Extra Modifiers as normal except when either Type 1 or Type 2 is Rock or Steel.
Was the information stated in the guide incorrect or was this Psypoke’s interpretation of what was written (if they used this guide as their source)?

If Psypoke used a different, more accurate source, I would rather use that. If Psypoke used independent research to confirm their statement, I would like to know if I understand how to calculate this step properly.

Later,
Rod

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If I understand your sources correctly, they say the same thing. For each time the pokemon has a steel or rock type, it is given a 1/4 modifier. So, something like Skarmory or Cradily would get a 1/4 from it, while a Bastiodon or Aggron would get a 1/16 mod. If, hypothetically, something were weak to normal, for example i will use Electric, then a Magenton would get a 1/2 because 2 times 1/4 is 1/2.

If I missed something, let me know.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:41 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Oh, I get it now. It’s just using different methods to achieve the same results.

You can repeat the two steps twice, but if you are multiplying by zero or one they will always have the same result. Normal has no ×2 types, so you can either repeat the two steps twice or just substitute ×.25 for rock and/or steel instead of ×.5.

I got that all while having a headache. Maybe I should only read this stuff while I’m in pain. 8-)

Thanks, Evil Penguin.

Later,
Rod
Sylph Co.: Better pokémon through technology.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]