It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Survey: Useful Move Effects - Ended (please use new thread) 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I am doing a project and it occurred to me that it might be interesting getting some other opinions (assuming others are interested in giving their opinions) on useful or not-useful side effects of moves. So I decided to take a survey. If you don’t want to post your opinions here, you may PM me. Apparently some of my sources were not clear or I did not understand them properly. There have been a few edits (emboldened) to add/correct entries or make choices more apparent. I apologize for the errors.

For my project the point is to be objective and rate the effect on its own merits. Afterwards, the other factors would be considered. I plan to include a “compatibility notes” field to cover compatible hold items, moves and the like, but that is a different project.

The rules are simple. No outside influence just the effects on their own are to be rated. The scale is 10 to -10.
10 = most useful for your defending pokémon
0 = not useful
-10 = most useful for the opposing pokémon

How would you rate each one of the following effects?

Always hits.
Can hit an opponent while they use Fly.
Always hits including when opponent uses Dig, Fly or Dive.
Always hits, but always hits second.

No effect (added to have something to compare with the next effect; this would be 0).
Neither defender or opponent may attack.

Uses opponent’s last move.
Uses opponent’s move selected at random.
Uses opponent’s move selected by you.
Uses any move selected at random.

Faint opponent when defending pokémon faints.
Both pokémon faint in three turns. Either pokémon may avoid fainting by retreating.

Blocks physical attack.
Blocks physical attack, but unreliable when used again.

Reduce the PP of one of the opponent’s moves to 0.
Reduce the PP of one of the opponent’s moves by 2 to 5 points.
Reduce the PP of one of the opponent’s moves by 4.

Can only be used after all other moves have been used at least once.

Does double damage if the opponent has used Minimize.
Doubles the power of Rollout or Ice Ball.

Can only use the attack if the opponent is asleep.
Can only use the attack if the defender is asleep.

Forces opponent to retreat in wild battles.
Forces opponent to retreat in wild battles or switch opponents in trainer battles.

Opponent may only use the same attack for 2-6 turns.
Opponent may not use the same attack twice in a row.

Prevents any pokémon from sleeping for 2-5 turns.

If the opponent is sleeping, they receive double damage (damage is calculated separately) and wake up.
If the opponent is sleeping, they receive double damage (damage is calculated separately).

Confuse the opponent, 100%.
Increase opponent’s attack by 1 level, 100%.
(These next two entries are actually two effects each. Rate as if they were one effect each if you want.)
Confuse the opponent and increase their attack by 1 level, 100%.
Confuse the opponent and increase their attack by 2 levels, 100%.

Power increases as tameness increases.
Power decreases as tameness increases.

Later,
Rod
Sylph: Better pokémon through technology.

Last edited by White Phoenix on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:59 am, edited 8 times in total.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

White Phoenix wrote:
I am doing a project and it occurred to me that it might be interesting getting some other opinions (assuming others are interested in giving their opinions) on useful or not-useful side effects of moves. So I decided to take a survey. If you don’t want to post your opinions here, you may PM me.

The rules are simple. No outside influence just the effects on their own are to be rated. The scale is 10 to -10.
0 = not useful

Always hits. 10
Can hit an opponent while they use Fly. 2
Always hits including when opponent uses Dig, Fly or Dive. 5
Always hits, but always hits second. 8

Neither defender or opponent may attack. (Meanwhile opponent is trapped and receiving damage.) 0-8 depends how you use it
Uses opponent’s last move. 0
Uses opponent’s move selected at random. 5Uses opponent’s move selected by you. 9
Uses any move selected at random. 5

Faint opponent when defending pokémon faints. 10 (destiny bond of course)Both pokémon faint in three turns. Either pokémon may avoid fainting by retreating. 5 (just forces a return which is not bad)

Blocks physical attack. 5
Blocks physical attack, but unreliable when used again. 5

Reduce the PP of one of the opponent’s moves to 0. 10
Reduce the PP of one of the opponent’s moves by 2 to 5 points. 9

Can only be used after all other moves have been used up. 5
Does double damage if the opponent has used Minimize. 2
Doubles the power of Rollout. 3

Can only use the attack if the opponent is asleep. 5
Can only use the attack if the defender is asleep. 3

Forces opponent to retreat in wild battles. 10
Forces opponent to retreat in wild battles or switch opponents in trainer battles. 7

Opponent may only use the same attack for 2-6 turns. 5 (depends how you use it)Opponent may not use the same attack twice in a row. 8 (stops choicers)

Prevents any pokémon from sleeping for 2-5 turns. 5
If the opponent is sleeping, they receive double damage (damage is calculated separately) and wake up. 5
If the opponent is sleeping, they receive double damage (damage is calculated separately). 7

Confuse the opponent, 100%. 9
Increase opponent’s attack by 2 levels, 100%. -10
Confuse the opponent and increase their attack by 2 levels, 100%. 7
Power increases as tameness increases. whats tameness lol?
Power decreases as tameness increases.

Later,
Rod

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:11 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

White Phoenix wrote:
I am doing a project and it occurred to me that it might be interesting getting some other opinions (assuming others are interested in giving their opinions) on useful or not-useful side effects of moves. So I decided to take a survey. If you don’t want to post your opinions here, you may PM me.

0 = not useful

Always hits. 8
Can hit an opponent while they use Fly. 5. Fly doesn't show up often.
Always hits including when opponent uses Dig, Fly or Dive. 8
Always hits, but always hits second. 3. Awful potency.

Neither defender or opponent may attack. (Meanwhile opponent is trapped and receiving damage.) -4; it's a sign you're running scared.

Uses opponent’s last move. -10, easy to exploit.
Uses opponent’s move selected at random. -10, impossible to take advantage of.
Uses opponent’s move selected by you. 2. What if the moves aren't very effective, then what do you have?
Uses any move selected at random. -8.

Faint opponent when defending pokémon faints. 1
Both pokémon faint in three turns. Either pokémon may avoid fainting by retreating. 0. Unless coupled with Mean Look, Destiny Bond is a waste.

Blocks physical attack. 7
Blocks physical attack, but unreliable when used again. 4

Reduce the PP of one of the opponent’s moves to 0. 8. One of the better ideas.
Reduce the PP of one of the opponent’s moves by 2 to 5 points. 6. That's why Spite is now fixed to 4 points.

Can only be used after all other moves have been used up. -10. This is not what Last Resort does.

Does double damage if the opponent has used Minimize. -2. Minimize is infrequently seen.
Doubles the power of Rollout. -6. And neither is Rollout.

Can only use the attack if the opponent is asleep. -8. Sleep is too volatile.
Can only use the attack if the defender is asleep. -8, or 4 if used with Rest.

Forces opponent to retreat in wild battles. -3. Waste of time.
Forces opponent to retreat in wild battles or switch opponents in trainer battles. -10. Too random.

Opponent may only use the same attack for 2-6 turns. 2.
Opponent may not use the same attack twice in a row. 2.

Prevents any pokémon from sleeping for 2-5 turns. 4.
If the opponent is sleeping, they receive double damage (damage is calculated separately) and wake up. -9. Leave the sleep.
If the opponent is sleeping, they receive double damage (damage is calculated separately). 7. Much better.

Confuse the opponent, 100%. 8
Increase opponent’s attack by 2 levels, 100%. -10. Swagger increases confusion recoil, but also increases power against you. Bad move.
Confuse the opponent and increase their attack by 2 levels, 100%. -10. See above.

Power increases as tameness increases. 9.
Power decreases as tameness increases. -2. Tameness is easy to maintain. The opposite isn't.

Later,
Rod

Pfah, this is more like a scale from one to 20.
And tameness is friendship, of course.
- DNA

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:06 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Wow! Thanks for the feedback guys. This is really going to help.

DNA wrote:
Pfah, this is more like a scale from one to 20.

Yes, but I can’t use 1 to 20 in my calculations. 8-) Besides ‘friendship’, ‘tameness’ is also called ‘happiness’.

I must have misunderstood Last Resort. Please explain. I’m not that familiar with Diamond/Pearl yet and the sources I have been using apparently were not clear or I misunderstood them.
Spite was changed? Hmm, now I will need to change the list to include a rating for “reduce PP to 4”.

For my project the point is to be objective and rate the effect on its own merits. Afterwards, the other factors would be considered. I plan to include a “works well with” section, but that is a different project.

Later,
Rod
Eagles may soar, but weasels don’t get sucked into jet engines.

Last edited by White Phoenix on Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:34 am
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Last Resort surprised me a bit too. It works as long as all of the other Pokemon's moves have been used at least once. I learned this the hard way against rogue Leafeons and Glaceons, whose only offensive move was Last Resort. (The rest were Growl and the like.)

- DNA

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:36 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Always hits. (3, DT is often claused, as well as Bright Powder and Lax Incense)
Can hit an opponent while they use Fly. (1, if the opponent is actually using Fly, they can't be that hard to beat and you shouldn't need a fancy-shmancy effect)
Always hits including when opponent uses Dig, Fly or Dive. (2, see above. At least the "hiding" move coverage is bigger, so the geniuses who using those moves are greater in number)
Always hits, but always hits second. (2, you let them do whatever they want, including switch)

Neither defender or opponent may attack. (Meanwhile opponent is trapped and receiving damage.) (9, in RBY, this is deadly)
EDIT: No effect (other than opponent is trapped and receiving damage).(3, it can be useful for trapping and increasing Toxitank wear-away damage

Uses opponent’s last move. (3, chances are it won't hit them hard or even benefit you)
Uses opponent’s move selected at random. (2, it may be good, it may suck)
Uses opponent’s move selected by you. (5, they'll likely have an awesome move ready)
Uses any move selected at random. (0, you may just Memento. In Metro matches, 10)

Faint opponent when defending pokémon faints. (6, always good to know you lost a Poke 1-for-1)
Both pokémon faint in three turns. Either pokémon may avoid fainting by retreating. (6, with some comboes, it's deadly)

Blocks physical attack. (4, see what's coming up and prepare. Stat boosts will kill the purpose though)
Blocks physical attack, but unreliable when used again. (3.5, see above, the unreliability isn't that bad)

Reduce the PP of one of the opponent’s moves to 0. (5, could end up killing that last needed move)
Reduce the PP of one of the opponent’s moves by 2 to 5 points. (3, they'll just kill you or set up in the process)
EDIT: Reduce the PP of one of the opponent’s moves by 4. (3.5, see above)

Can only be used after all other moves have been used up. (2, you may get killed while using the other moves)

Does double damage if the opponent has used Minimize. (2, Minimize is claused like DT and you might just miss because they've minimized)
Doubles the power of Rollout. (4, who uses Rollout over Rock Slide?)

Can only use the attack if the opponent is asleep. (4, they'll just send out someone with a Chesto and block sleep while KOing you or setting up to)
Can only use the attack if the defender is asleep. (5, nice strats can be used with this and Rest)

Forces opponent to retreat in wild battles. (3, just get a Poke with Run Away)
Forces opponent to retreat in wild battles or switch opponents in trainer battles. (7, Psuedo haze ftw?)

Opponent may only use the same attack for 2-6 turns. (6, prediction and fun way to Haze)
Opponent may not use the same attack twice in a row. (3, let's SD than attack than switch attacks or SD again or just switch!)

Prevents any pokémon from sleeping for 2-5 turns. (0, unless you know they have sleeping, it'll hurt you both as much)
If the opponent is sleeping, they receive double damage (damage is calculated separately) and wake up. (4, why wake them up? You can just SD and get the same effect instead while they stay asleep)
If the opponent is sleeping, they receive double damage (damage is calculated separately). (4.5, SDing is still better)

Confuse the opponent, 100%. (6, Haze of Confuse them, giving you some time and annoyance)
Increase opponent’s attack by 2 levels, 100%. (-7, why give them an attack boost?)
Confuse the opponent and increase their attack by 2 levels, 100%. (1, Confuse Ray is better, and Confusion can be iffy)

Power increases as tameness increases. (6, if the power is high, you'll be dealing a lot)
Power decreases as tameness increases. (3, unhappiness is hard to keep, so why keep it? In battle, 5)

Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:44 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Besides ‘friendship’, ‘tameness’ is also called ‘happiness’.

o...i just call it happiness

Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:19 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Your TechDex is the best in the world!!!!! 8-D

This is going to make my research a lot easier and save me a bunch of time.

Thanks.

Later,
Rod

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]