It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Pokemon: a timeline. 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm not sure subject has been posted before, if so then just carry on. I'm wondering where pokemon currently stands in diamond and pearl on a game timeline. In pokemon gold and silver we learned that the events of those games happened three years after blue and red. In ruby and sapphire other regions like kanto and johto are mentioned, but we have no frame of reference for the time. Since fire and leaf versions are able to trade with ruby and sapphire without a time machine, we can assume their stories happen simultaneously. Even with that information, we're still left in the dark about pearl and diamond. Does anyone have any speculation or official info about when P/D happen in the pokemon universe?

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:33 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

My guess is that it happens in the same time, just different land and different hero, different villains and such..

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:20 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well about the third generation and the first generation remakes, consider that most of the pokemon are still on their native landmasses. However, recent travel, trades, and imports have caused some pokemon to grow in other places then their original habitats. It probably started with imports to the Hoenn Safari Zone, and then these pokemon started expanding through Hoenn to find places more compatable for their kind. So guessing when they got there and how fast they spread can give some kind of timeline.

For the first generation remakes, I'm guessing they take place at the same time as Red/Blue/Yellow. Everyone is the same age in both series. But whenever was the third generation trading machine on One Island not a time machine? Bill simply said that it'll be able to trade with trainers across great distances. Was he referring to time and distance?

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:50 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Bill simply said that it'll be able to trade with trainers across great distances. Was he referring to time and distance?

I'd assume he was talking about technology that allows trades across the world. The time machine in gold/silver was specifically called a time machine. If Bill's machine could do that he would have said so.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:13 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

StevensNightmare wrote:
Bill simply said that it'll be able to trade with trainers across great distances. Was he referring to time and distance?

I'd assume he was talking about technology that allows trades across the world. The time machine in gold/silver was specifically called a time machine. If Bill's machine could do that he would have said so.

I wondered about that too. I just wonder why distance between two trading centers would matter. Maybe it does, but why?

Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:49 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Generation I and Generation III take place at the same time. This explains why Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen are compatible without a "time machine." The events of FRLG overwrite the events of RBY, since the former is just an expansion of the latter's story.

Generation II and Generation IV take place at nearly the same time. Diamond and Pearl start with a news story about the red Gyarados, an event that happened before the player got his or her seventh Gym Badge in Gold/Silver. Jasmine, who is a Gym Leader and lives in Olivine City at the time, also makes an appearance in Diamond/Pearl.

Generation II also takes place after Generation I for obvious reasons. In-game dialogue in GSC states that Generation II takes place three years after Generation I.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:53 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

wow good work Frost i can totally see that fitting together perfectly, and the legendaries might not be "legendaries" but just pokemon you cant get anywhere else becasue they haven't spread, because all the new legendaries descriptions that are like this: "It is said in mythology" making them just really old locals lol.

Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:30 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

wow good work Frost i can totally see that fitting together perfectly, and the legendaries might not be "legendaries" but just pokemon you cant get anywhere else becasue they haven't spread, because all the new legendaries descriptions that are like this: "It is said in mythology" making them just really old locals lol.

Yeah. And there are thought to be multiples of Mew, Celebi, and definately a second Deoxys, Latias, and Latios. But I'm sure the four Regis are unique (Is it just me, or do they look artificial?), and Mewtwo as well. (For obvious reasons :P )

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:09 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Wow, I completely overlooked the red gyarados newscast. That explanation makes sense. Thanks for the info Frost!

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:06 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

about bill's machine there probaly wasn't enough power to make that distance until bill's machine

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I thought GSC happened 5 years after RBY. And where does Orre fit into this?

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:22 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I think Orre would be like around generation III 'cause you can get Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn Pokemon there.

^^^spongedude made this. He is AWESOME!!

Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:57 pm
Illiterate
Illiterate

I think they happen in chronological order, because look at how much oak appears. How would nintendo explain how much he appears in the games, without making him seem to be a liar?

Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

And where does Orre fit into this?

I don't really think that Orre falls into the general time line of the usual regions. If you compare the moving truck in the beginning of RSE to the to the truck that Trudy and Folly had in the beginning of colosseum, you can see that colosseum is somewhat in the future, do to the hover bike that the main character has, and the hover truck that Trudy and Folly have, not to mention the snag machine that is available there. It may be set at the same time as the other games, but I doubt it. Either way, XD isn't set at the same time as any of the other games, because according to the in-game dialogue, it and colosseum have a five year difference.

It also doesn't say whether or not the machine in the basment of the Phenec City pokemon center is actually a time machine or not, and that is only supported by its use in pokemon XD, because there is no way that both games can use the same trading system, and trade to Kanto or Hoenn without the time machine.

As for Fiore, it takes place at the same time as Johto and Sinnoh, because when you get the Manaphy egg in Fiore, you transport it to the main character in Sinnoh.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]