It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Rate my deck? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

First time posting in the TCG Islands, so I'm sorry in advance if there's a thread about this already.. I skimmed and didn't see but I'm quite dumb so who knows. Anywhoo, my neighbor found his old cards from pre-2002 and we've been screwing around, building all sorts of decks. I've finally made one that's just mean (I win 80% battles with a prize rate of 6-3 or better), so I'd like to know your opinions on it. Here are all the cards and the sets they come from

Pokemon: 21 Cards
Dark Dragonite (Team Rocket) [Rare]
Dark Dragonair (Team Rocket)
Dratini (Team Rocket)
Cleffa (Neo Genesis) [Rare]
Dark Hypno (Team Rocket) [Holographic]
Drowzee (Team Rocket)
Dark Alakazam (Team Rocket) [Rare]
Dark Kadabra (Team Rocket)
Abra (Team Rocket)
Gengar (Fossil) [Rare]
Haunter (Base Set 1)
Gastly (Fossil)
Rocket's Mewtwo (Gym Challenge) [Holographic]
Dark Magneton (Team Rocket) [Holographic]
Magnemite (Team Rocket)
Lt. Surge's Raichu (Gym Heroes) [Rare]
Lt. Surge's Pikachu (Gym Challenge)
Electrode (Base Set 1) [Rare]
Voltorb (Team Rocket)
Rocket's Zapdos (Gym Challenge) [Holographic]
Rocket's Zapdos (Gym Challenge) [Holographic]

Trainers: 15 Cards
Bill (Base Set 1)
Bill (Base Set 2)
Pokeball (Base Set 2)
Pokeball (Jungle)
Switch (Base Set 1)
Gust of Wind (Base Set 1)
Itemfinder (Base Set 1) [Rare]
Pokedex (Base Set 1)
Nightly Garbage Run (Team Rocket)
The Boss's Way (Team Rocket)
Max Revive (Gym Challenge)
Sabrina's Gaze (Gym Heroes)
Professor Elm (Neo Genesis)
Computer Search (Base Set 1) [Rare]
Super Energy Removal (Base Set 2) [Rare]

Energies: 24 Cards
Psychic Energy x11 (Base Set 1, Base Set 2, Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge)
Electric Energy x11 (Base Set 1, Base Set 2, Gym Challenge)
Double Colorless Energy (Base Set 2)
Recycle Energy (Neo Genesis) [Rare]

Thanks for the time!

I PUSH THE BUTTON AND WATCH THE SKY BRING DEATH.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:19 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Since these are all cards from the classic decks, a rule of thumb: 4 Bills, 4 Professor Oaks, 4 Gust of Winds. Three of the most broken Trainer cards ever printed. It's also generally a good idea to have more than one card of a basic evolution since, if it gets knocked out, the entire line is rendered useless if you've already used your Max Revive. Pokemon Breeder also works wonders to get Stage 2s out fast, if you have any.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:25 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

the deck is designed to be fluid and you can rely on any pokemon instead of a specific, but gengar's pokemon power which lets you shuffle around damage counters on your opponents and dark magneton's magnetic lines attack rule the field. the nightly garbage run replaces the multiple basics, since i pick three pokemon or basic energy cards from the discard and shuffle them into my deck...

cleffa's attack "Eeeek!" allows me to shuffle my hand into my deck and draw seven cards, which replaces the professor oaks. boss's way gets a dark evolution out of my deck, the dragonair allows me to search for any evolution card once per turn, the dragonite, when played from my hand immediately brings two more basic pokemon to the bench. computer search = failproof pokeball. itemfinder = 2nd computer search/anything else. dark kadabra's power lets me discard 1 to draw 1 once per turn, electrode allows me to knock it out and use it as 2 of any energies... it's pretty mean overall lol.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:48 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Fluid or not, if you have a bunch of 1-1(-1) lines of various assorted Pokemon with no real overbearing theme, you'll get a whole lot of nowhere when your big gun gets taken out of the picture fast. 1-1 lines aren't incredibly practical and only work in a few decks, and since you seem to have 4+ evolution lines, some of which include stage 2s, you run the risk of drawing into the wrong card. I'd recommend running multiple copies of those cards (if you have any) and pruning out the lines you don't need. I wouldn't cut Dark Dragonite because of Summon Minions; you can yank basics from your deck pretty quickly. Keeping Cleffa is probably a good idea as well, as it's an excellent starter; you may want to run 2.

Poke Ball is a terrible card. Run Pokemon Trader instead - you need to swap a card in your hand to use it, BUT you will have 100% success rate instead of 50%.

As for the rest? I won't give you suggestions on what individual cards to remove but instead I'll ask you this: What cards help your deck the most to perform well, and which ones are more deadweight than helpful? Cut out what isn't necessary, and focus more on your powerhouses. Try to increase your Trainer count as well, and run duplicates - in some decks you can get away with running onesies of various Pokemon lines, but you can't really do that with Trainers.

...yes I'm very experienced in Pokemon TCG, so I do know exactly what I'm talking about.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

DNA wrote:
words & other things

well i designed it to not rely on any specific line and instead to make the best off the first ones to come up.

the excess pokemon cards serve as discard material for the itemfinder & computer search, plus the nightly garbage run allows me to recycle any pokemon or energy cards in my discard pile.

btw the pokemon trader card would work well except i don't have one lol.

there's nothing i can really call "dead weight" in this deck except the drowsee and hypno. however, the hypno with bench manipulation can hit up to 100 & its quick to get out if i have the dragonair or the bosses way. i'd replace it if i found a better psychic 1-1

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:23 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Smells Like wrote:
I like to play my own way and won't accept negative advice

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I was very well aware that your card supplies are limited. I'm saying that if you can get the better cards, then go for it. Until then, I don't think you can really call your deck 'good'. There's no real core or overarching strategy.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:48 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

DNA wrote:
Smells Like wrote:
false quotes and made up words

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I was very well aware that your card supplies are limited. I'm saying that if you can get the better cards, then go for it. Until then, I don't think you can really call your deck 'good'. There's no real core or overarching strategy.

umm i never said anything about having limited card supplies last post.. i have over 2.5k cards but most of them are gym heroes or older.. AND!

just sayin, but i never asked for deck building advice.. just a rating.

my strategy is "get cards out that **** everything up very fast" and what works, works. i win with it.

the dark magneton ignores resistance & weakness with sonicboom, and shuffles energies around with magnetic lines. the dragonite & dragonair get pokemon out faster. cleffa gets cards out faster too, and its baby pokemon power makes it a shield, sort of. it also has no retreat cost. alakazam can retreat free of cost with its teleport blast attack, and ignores W&R with its other attack. gengar has a low retreat cost, its pokemon power allows me to shuffle around enemy damage counters, and its attack damages bench pokemon as well as the active. the rockets mewtwo hits hard, and can switch damage counters with your opponents. the raichu hits 100 with its second attack. electrode can be knocked out for 2 energies.. and the zapdos brings lightning energies back with its plasma attack & hits 20. i replaced the hypno & drowzee with a misdreavus and mismagius. the mismagius's poke-body allows you to shuffle around a psychic energy on your pokemon once per turn (i think its once) & its attack hits 30 and damages any opponents benched pokemon with damage on it already.

it's geared to take out anything & do it quickly.. once the cards are out, but that's what the prof. elm & sabrina's gaze & cleffa & dragonite are for. (and the computer search lol.)

the raichu & magneton & electrode are the only pokemon weak to ground, and the magneton can overcome that with magnetic lines (incapacitating the defending pokemon by attaching its energies to others) and sonicboom (ignoring W&R). the psychics are all weak to psychic or have no weakness (except the mismagius to dark).

maybe there are "better" cards out now comparatively to these, but with what i have to work with, it's beast.. to me at least. like i said, i don't lose with it. :shock: (against other decks built from the same era :p)

also, i feel like you commented saying my deck wasn't good without looking up/knowing how all the cards work... but that's just my opinion, not a fact.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:30 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

First I'd like to start by saying that I do know how the cards work and I did look them up. Moving on.

The problem isn't exactly with what cards you're using - it is that you either have 1 or 2 copies of each one, and in most (but not all) cases, that doesn't always work. And in the case of Trainer cards, having onesies of several different trainer cards isn't so good. It's best to have duplicates.

Honestly I do think the deck can do very well, but just keep in mind that if you have a bunch of onesies, the more likely it'll be that a key card of yours will get prized. For example, let's say you draw your starting hand and you put an Abra facedown as active. You've got DCE, Dark Dragonite, Pokemon Breeder, Pokemon Trader, and 1 or 2 other cards in your hand. You play Trader and send a Pokemon back, search for your Dratini...it's prized. You keep looking through your deck for Cleffa...nope, that's prized too. So while you go just yank the Magnemite or whatever, you check to see what else is prized. Computer Search and Elm are both missing too.

Although the above scenario is quite unlikely, I think you can see the problem - if something's prized, you're stuck without it unless you can kill something. This is why I advised to see which cards of yours are the least useful, then remove those and put duplicates of the better-working cards in...if you own them that is. 2 Bill is good, but optimally you want 4 Bill. Pokemon Trader lets you swap a Pokemon in your hand for one in your deck, so running 2+ of those is a good idea too (I run 3 myself). Professor Oak discards your hand and gives you a fresh 7 so running at least 2 is also great. And so on.

I mean, if you can get the duplicates, great. If you can't, you'll live, but the deck will be just 'okay'.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]