It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The End of Pokemon 

Do you agree that Pokemon is coming to a close?
Yes 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
No 46%  46%  [ 30 ]
Pokemon Forever! 38%  38%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 65

The End of Pokemon 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

This has been on my mind for quite some time and I'd figure I share my reasoning with you. It would seem that Pokemon is beginning to come to a close. Not the entire series in general, but the general games that we have come to know and love. With the release of Diamond & Pearl we see that the "God" Pokemon (Arceus) has been revealed . With this realized, what more else could be done as far as the mythology goes of Pokemon? The mythology aspect is truly what keeps the series going as it ties everything together. As you progress in each new series, we revert back to the origins of the world and Pokemon in general. Now that we have the rulers of Space and Time and also the creator of those entities, how much more can there possibly be? Obviously the creator has probably a thousand more designs that he could use, but the series in itself has been completed. To cite more evidence we see that Pokemon are being completed from the very first generation(s). Instead of being left alone to drown in their own nostalgia, they too have been "completed" and made to feel whole. ig; Magmortar, etc.

I'm not saying that the series as a whole is concluded. Being Nintendo, they will try to milk as much profit as they can before the cow runs dry. Most likely various off-games (like Ranger) to keep interest going. Perhaps this is too short of an explanation for the point that I'm ultimately trying to get across. However, I believe that this is a common interpretation. "All good things must come to an end." :frustrated:

Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

I don't know why people keep bringing this up over and over again, particularly that Arceus is some sort of OBVIOUS omen that we're not getting anymore Pokemon games. What exactly does Arceus prove? Mew was pretty much filling the role as "the origin of all Pokemon" until Arceus came along and they simply retconned things so that Arceus took over that role instead. And just because they have a "God" Pokemon, so what? Are they not allowed to make anymore Pokemon now that there is an established Pokemon god or something? If anything, Generation V will probably just introduce God Pokemon for each of the individual types (since every generation has more legendaries and IV had something like 13-15) or something else like that.

Beyond legendaries, there are still tons of animals and objects that have not been modeled into Pokemon, there are still plenty of existing Pokemon that can be improved (if only Gamefreak will ever actually remember that poor old reject Pokemon such as Farfetch'd, Corsola and Delcatty exist), and there are still a lot of type combinations, abilities, etc. to be made as well. I was able to come up with a whole generation's worth of new ideas for Pokemon (over one hundred, and I didn't even need to rely on the "god Pokemon for every type" idea mentioned above) that utilized new type combinations, new abilities, new animals and other ideas that have yet to be used and I'm just one person. Surely an entire creative team can dig up enough ideas for additional installments of games.

It would be silly to think the main Pokemon series is going anywhere. The sequels do not draw the amount of money that the main series does. It's the main series that is the major cash cow, and it is also the main series of video games that the rest of the Pokemon canons spill out from (the Anime, mangas, spinoff games, TCGs, etc. are all based on the main series' Pokemon, characters and world in general), so taking away the main series effectively kills the rest of the franchise, and neither Nintendo nor Gamefreak want that to happen.

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:21 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i agree with everything you say Frost :D . I will still think that pokemon will no end yet.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:15 am
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Pokemon is most likely going to be one of those things that gets milked for so long that it will die on a horribly sour note, to a point where even the most hardcore of fans will come to hate it.

~ Face

"DERP I'M A DUMBASS :B"

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:40 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Funny how people claim the series will just "continue" to be milked for cash and "hardcore fans" will stop playing, when those same people continue to play and enjoy those same games.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I used to think Pokémon was coming to an end because they kept expanding the legendaries's powers, from "basic" interaction with the elements in RBY to the creation of the universe in DP. To me, Arceus and Giratina are the "ultimate" limits, but that doesn't mean the Pokémon universe can't be carried on with more "in-betweens", and that's what I believe now. There may already be Pokémon that can control the greatest aspects of existence as a whole, such as Time, Space, the Universe and the Underworld, and yes, there was a progression from the first generation to our current, and while those two arguments technically make us think we're coming to an end, it doesn't mean it will necessarily happen. I think there are many other virtues that can be explored, and while they might not be as intense as controlling time and space, they can be equally interesting.

I don't agree that Nintendo (or whatever company is in charge of Pokémon) is losing its touch or lacking ideas with every new generation that is born. Just because most of you prefer the first and think there's a huge mass of uncreative blobs after GSC doesn't mean it's everyone's opinion or that their imagination is declining. My favorite generation is the third, and the only reason I dislike the fourth is because it's full of evos and pre-evos, and that most of them are ugly as hell. Most of the original DP Pokémon appeal to me. Just because they are "lazy" doesn't mean they can't be creative. I agree with Frost on this one; I've seen so many people coming up with ideas for new Pokémon that it's hard to believe professionals can't do at least what we can.

And I see no problems with people being repetitive, as long as they do it creatively. The game plot follows a pattern: start your journey with a basic starter Pokémon, capture all you can find, defeat the Gym Leaders, defeat an evil team and save the world from catastrophe, so you can have access to the legendary beasts. Same goes for the Animé, it also follows a pattern. But then, every series has a pattern. Saint Seiya, Naruto, The Matrix, they all follow the basic idea, and that's fine. I think the same about new ideas for Pocket Monsters. How many dog-things and dog relatives do we have? Let's see: Growlithe, Arcanine, Vulpix, Ninetales, Electrike, Manectric, Poochiena, Mightyena, Suicune, Raikou, Entei, Houndour, Houndoom, Riolu, Lucario... I see no problems there, and I would come up with even more dogs if I wanted, as long as they aren't exact clones of each other.

I don't know anything about the financial aspects of Pokémon, so I won't go into that, but I'm pretty sure it makes a hell lot of money, and it would be just stupid to put an end to it. I personally enjoy Pokémon and don't want it to end, and I will continue to buy games if I can when new Pokémon come out.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:48 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

this can be because the creator can make thousands regions and million Pokemon but is always a chance that the creator don't want to continue pokemon

Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:02 pm
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Toasty wrote:
Funny how people claim the series will just "continue" to be milked for cash and "hardcore fans" will stop playing, when those same people continue to play and enjoy those same games.

I may play pokemon and say these things, but I don't see what is so funny about it. Nintendo could end pokemon right away if they wanted to, to keep it from getting old, but they won't. Sure, now there are still tons of people who play it, but as with many things before it, if pokemon continues on and on, eventually people will get tired of it, even the ''hardcore fans''.

Also, I claim it's being milked because pokemon is a cash cow for nintendo, and as such, it continues to be milked. That is what the expression ''being milked for cash'' means, ya know? :wink:

~ Face

"DERP I'M A DUMBASS :B"

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:19 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Not a chance. The games still sell incredibly well and as far as the lore goes, they can always just keep making stuff up so long as the franchise remains profitable.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:22 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

we are not going anywhere! pokemon probably makes the most $$$ out there (besides the lottery)
even in the bad economic times, we still manage to buy cards, figures, games, DVDs, stuffed animals, and anything else Pokemon!

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Actually I'm enjoying Pokémon because of its originality, and I guess Pokémon will end in gen-6 or gen-7.

-psynvrn, 2008

Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:57 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Gen 6 or 7? Why though? These values just seem arbitrary; nothing seems to suggest that Pokemon will end in two or three more generations.

Creativity knows no bounds, so I don't foresee any problems with creating new Pokemon, ideas, concepts, or whatsoever for future Pokemon games even as we have these godlike Pokemon in existence already. There's always room for even godlier Pokemon (A Pokemon that created Arceus *gasp*) or perhaps just normal, mundane Pokemon.

Pokemon games are still best-selling chart-topping cash-generating games, so it's unlikely that this cow will be milked dry any time soon. Which is why I think Pokemon will last for quite a while yet.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:40 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Yeah, really. Here's a little tidbit of information that some of you guys may not know: with 180+ million units sold, Pokemon is the second highest-selling video game franchise of ALL-TIME; it's only second to Super Mario Brothers, which has sold 201 million units, and ahead of every other franchise out there, including Nintendo franchises and franchises from non-Nintendo companies, such as Sonic, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, The Sims, Metroid and Donkey Kong, most of which existed for a least a decade before Pokemon.

At the rate that the Pokemon games fly off the shelves (Pokemon Platinum sold over a million copies in Japan within two days of being on sale), Pokemon has proven that it has outgrown its fad stage with ten years of consistently high sales under its belt. Since there's only twenty million units separating Pokemon and Mario, there's also a very good chance that Pokemon could claim the number-one spot sometime during Generation V, especially when you factor in all those side games that people tend to overlook (like Dungeon, Ranger, PBR, etc).

Nintendo is notorious for milking their cash cows over and over. Pokemon is well on its way to being their biggest cash cow ever, so there's no way Generation IV is going to be the last set of games we're going to get. I bet this time next year, after Arceus has been officially revealed to the world, we'll be getting rumblings that Generation V is coming soon.

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:17 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

onestly think that pokemon is close to being closed. i think the will make one more gen with about 70-90 pokemon but the anime will prolly go forever

Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:50 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Um... okay? The main reason why the Anime even exists is to promote the video games. No new Pokemon video games equals no new Pokemon anime. The Orange Islands period remains the only time that the Anime has ever gone to a region that didn't exist in the video games beforehand, and the Orange Islands was basically a thirty-five episode filler league to keep the show going until Johto anyway. Even the "Let's kill time until D/P gets here!" Battle Frontier idea came from Emerald, and the Battle Frontier itself was set in Kanto in the show.

Of course, the Anime doesn't have much to worry about since Nintendo/Gamefreak have no intentions of letting their top money-making series end at this time.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:31 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sorry sN0wBaLL, it's just my personal opinion...
Actually, I'm having trouble remembering those 480+ Pokémons, and I was wondering, how many Pokémons are they on gen-6 or gen-7?
But, yes, I agreed, Pokémon is definitely one of the legendary games of all time.

-psynvrn, 2008

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:46 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Oh there's no need to apologise. I'm just giving my take on your comments, so no worries.

I do agree with Frost that Pokemon will very likely overtake Super Mario Bros in the near future, probably when the next generation of games are released. There is no doubt at all that Pokemon Platinum will be another chart topper either.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:46 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I say they're running out of ideas

Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:22 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Pokemon certainly isn't as explosive as it used to be, but that happens with everything. Each Generation is quite a bit different from the last, and there is a good deal of recycling, which can be good or bad. But I think it's still got a while to go before it dies. The series still has amazing creative potential, although it may seem that it's winding down.

To give an example, I started playing Pokemon when I was 6 on Red and Blue Version, and I loved it. When Gold and Silver came out, I got those, and thought the new ideas were awesome, and I still loved it. Crystal was also very fun. I remember thinking that I would never take it out of my Gameboy Color (of course I did, but I was young...). I was somewhat hesitant about the new Pokemon in Generation III, but I got them anyway and enjoyed the hell out of them, and probably clocked more play time on those than the other generations combined. I grew to accept most of the newer Pokemon, while some may have been duds. And now I'm going to buy Diamond and Pearl when I get the chance. From what I've seen, the new Pokemon aren't quite as appealing as the originals, but I'm sure that I'll start playing, and end up loving it anyway, because that's just how it works.

My point is that there are always going to be fans. There will be old fans like everyone here who love the more complex and calculated aspects of Pokemon, and there are newer players being introduced to the series all the same. Each game is almost guaranteed to disappoint in some way or another, but most people will warm up to them eventually. And if Pokemon ever does reach an advanced form where older players give up on it, there will still be people picking up the series for the first time just then.

Based on my analysis, it's rate of growth will more than likely slow in time, but I think it'll be a while before it stops.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:41 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I agree with sN0wBaLL and Frost.

But, if ANYTHING can stop our favorite line of games, it won't be lack of ideas;
It'll more likely be technological constraints than anything else.

But even that is unlikely, considering how fast technology tends to advance.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Um...can you please explain to me how it's "winding down"?

Quote:
In Japan, Red, Green, and Blue combined have sold 8.2 million copies, while in the United States, Red and Blue have sold 8.6 million copies.

Quote:
Combined, the games sold 1.4 million units in just their first week in the US, breaking Pokémon Yellow's previous record of a little over 600,000 copies.[22] Pokémon Gold and Silver went on to sell a combined total of sold 6.91 million copies in Japan.[23] While in the United States, Pokémon Gold and Silver sold 7.6 million copies

Quote:
In Japan, they sold 1.25 million units within the first four days of release and were the best-selling games of the 2002 holiday season;[49] sales totaled around 4.4 million within six weeks of release.[50] They also became the first games to sell 2 million copies in Japan since 2001's Final Fantasy X and the first games for a hand-held console to do so since 2000's Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 4.[51][note 1] In North America, Nintendo moved around 2.2 million units by April 2003 (within one month of the games' North American release) in the region alone.[50] Ruby and Sapphire were the second and third best-selling games, respectively, of 2003.[52] The games enjoyed success in Europe as well. They were the second best-selling games of the holiday season in 2002;[53] even before release, European retailers imported cartridges from the United States to meet the high demand for the games.[54] With around 13 million units sold worldwide, the games are the best-selling titles ever for the Game Boy Advance.

Quote:
The games were very well received, with the improvement of the graphics, and the inclusions of extras.[citation needed] As of March 31, 2008, 11.82 million copies had been sold worldwide.

Quote:
First released in Japan in 2006, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl have the most successful launch week of games in the Pokémon series, and the best launch week for any Nintendo DS game for the country alone.[69] Within forty-six days, the games sold three million units, becoming the fastest DS games to do so; by the end of the year, the number increased to five million units in just under three months, making Diamond and Pearl the best-selling Pokémon games in Japan.[70][71] In the United States, pre-orders for Diamond and Pearl passed 533,000,[72] almost twice the pre-sale numbers for FireRed and LeafGreen.[73] Within five days of release, the games sold around one million copies and were the fastest-selling Pokémon games ever until the release of Pokémon Platinum.[74][75] With around 4.27 million units sold in the United States, the games were the seventh-best-selling video games of 2007.[76] As of March 31, 2008, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl combined have sold 14.77 million copies worldwide, making their sales totals around 1 million higher than those of Ruby/Sapphire and around 3 million higher than those of FireRed/LeafGreen.

So what's that about Pokemon winding down? This is barely the tip of the iceberg mind you - I didn't even post Yellow/Emerald/Crystal/Platinum's sales or spinoffs.

Don't pull false statements out of your ass; opinions are not facts.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

If you were talking to CragRhydon, I think he meant Gamefreak's creativity is winding down, not sales.

Edit: ...Toasty, I never said anything about GF being uncreative.

Last edited by Patchy on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:18 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

If anyone remembers to some years back, I think it was around 1999, Pokemon was supposed to come to a close then as well. There's to many fans for it to drop off.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:37 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Patchy wrote:
If you were talking to CragRhydon, I think he meant Gamefreak's creativity is winding down, not sales.

Wow what a contradicting statement. That's like saying "the new taste of Pepsi is bad but people still buy it more than they used to". If their creativity is down, why are the sales going up every generation? That doesn't make any sense. Also, just because YOU think the new Pokemon are "uncreative" doesn't mean they are. You're entitled to your opinion but don't say Gamefreak is losing their touch in the creativity department.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I said, "The series still has amazing creative potential, although it may seem that it's winding down." The comment about "winding down" had more to do with other people's opinions, not mine. To summarize my view on the topic, I was just saying that the series changes a lot and often new Pokemon/ideas come off as "bad" to older players, but people usually come around it it. I have a tendency to ramble in the respect that I don't directly get my point across...

I don't expect it to last forever, but it's going to perpetuate itself for a looong time.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next