It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Favorite Season Thread 

What is your favorite season of the Anime?
Indigo 59%  59%  [ 76 ]
Orange 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Johto Journeys 9%  9%  [ 11 ]
Johto League Champions 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Master Quest 9%  9%  [ 12 ]
Pokemon Advance 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Pokemon Advance Challenge 7%  7%  [ 9 ]
Pokemon Advanced Battle 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Battle Frontier 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Diamond and Pearl 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 129

Favorite Season Thread 
Fails at life
Fails at life

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:00 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Indigo (when it first aired and I was crazy about pokemon)
the first johto season after I bought Gold version
Orange Islands (In Poland over the summer of 2004, pretty interesting watchng it in another language [that you understand]
D/P Im watching all of the episodes on youtube cause i cant find it in the TV guide (I dont know why I got back into after all these years, but it sure is not as good as the other seasons I watched)

Over all.... Indigo was the best (I also watched the porygon episode. Rather interesting plot... That flashing wasnt that bad, I suppose that you must have eplieptic conditions already to get a seisure)

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:23 pm
Fails at life
Fails at life

It plays on Cartoon Network at 7:30 Est. Monday-Thursday.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:27 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

i'd have to say the very first season it was the best b4 every thing changed and new ppl came in

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
('')_('') your signature to help him gain world domination

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:50 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I liked the first seasons because they had the most value compared to the others.

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:36 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I liked Indigo the best cos it wasn't full of fillers. I like DP but they screwed up the voices :cry: also contests were introduced in AG which was more interesting and Dawn's pokemon are sooooo cuteXD
plus i was getting sick of always hearing "Pikachu, use Thunder/bolt/shock"
Iron Tail & Volt Tackle add some variety.
1)Indigo
2)Advanced
3)Diamond and Pearl

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:21 am
Fails at life
Fails at life

i loved the first season but i liked one of the themes from johto

http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20710 <---come to my shop for TC's (i'm now hiring!!)

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:31 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I think it can be safely said that the first season was the best season!

Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:43 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I love the themes of advanced challenge and the story. But I like most themes is Johto Journeys.

-blazing blaziken

Tue May 13, 2008 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

1st season WAS the Best. in the new season theres less drama and everyone is TOO POLITE and TOO NICE.
for this reason, as i get older the seasons seem to get more childish.

Fri May 16, 2008 11:00 pm
Fails at life
Fails at life

I like advanced battle the most but even though advanced battle is a later season it is good because with most later seasons are awful because of there stupid voices

I LIKE IT TO MUCH HERE

I'M BACK WELL TECHNICALLY I DID NOT LEAVE SO I AM NOW NOT LEAVING

Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:49 am
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Indigo will always be my favorite as it was what started by fandom with Pokemon back in the old days. The story was new and refreshing. Even though I still watch Pokemon occasionally it seems to me the newer episodes are more directed to children than the first season and the plot seems to be rewashed. My favorite Pokemon are also from the Kanto Region and I think the first generation of Pokemon had the best designs. It was also funny seeing Ash struggle so much as he only really beat about four of the gym leaders.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:08 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Eternal Dragon wrote:
Indigo will always be my favorite as it was what started by fandom with Pokemon back in the old days. The story was new and refreshing. Even though I still watch Pokemon occasionally it seems to me the newer episodes are more directed to children than the first season and the plot seems to be rewashed. My favorite Pokemon are also from the Kanto Region and I think the first generation of Pokemon had the best designs. It was also funny seeing Ash struggle so much as he only really beat about four of the gym leaders.

I really can't think in a answer that fits my opinion so well. Agree. Indigo: better season forever <3

Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I loved Indigo because it had the best thing in it..... THE POKE RAP!!!

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:57 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I hope this isn't a bump - I'm sorry with compunction if it is, and I say that in the best of intentions.

I much prefer the Indigo League episodes above all, probably because they felt infinitely more novel and felt more like adventure than being watered down to nothing more than action that involves little more than excuses for Pokémon gym battles and contests. The earlier episodes had adventure and used Pokémon as a way to be the main accentuation of the show, but also not to limit the show to offering only that. Oh, and the characters had far more incentive and personality in the earlier seasons for me. The same goes for the Pokémon. I think Pokémon like Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle are rememberable because they offer personality and seem relatable and familiar. Pikachu was like that once as well... but now Pikachu seems to be Ash's puppet rather than a character unto itself. Far, far overused.

Torchic and Piplup try too hard to be cute, and it seems the writers would be content with giving us Pokémon that would equal colorful messes, being named things like "akadanabadon" doing things like "rain dance fire ice abatanaakajaaana" attacks for all the writers care. That's a bit hyperbolic, apparently, but I hope you get my point - it doesn't even feel like the writers are trying anymore. Brock was once a Pokémon breeder who had something to offer... now I see him as an excuse to explain Ash's actions and implore nigh every female he sees to hit on him. I won't even entertain the notion of ear-pulling, and Ash seems to care about little more than Gym-battling and his Pokémon. In the earlier episodes, Pokémon were a main priority, quite obviously, but the characters were put in situations that were a draw-in to me, with exuberant locales and.... again... situations that are not limited to nothing more than Pokémon battles (Pokémon battles are used as a way to pierce through infinitely more intriguing challenges in my eyes, in the earlier episodes) and superficial strings of joy, rather than deeper happiness and fulfillment.

Oh, and the phrase "my next Gym battle" now is so threadbare that it makes me want to plug my ears. I don't like how contest ribbons became a byproduct of gym badges either, nor do I enjoy how I feel Drew and Paul are less interesting incarnations of Gary as rivals. Again, I think the characters are immensely reduced by comparison to how they were. However, now that that's out of the way....

The animation and art may not be as dynamic in the earlier series, but since when does the front that is being pretty equal application of quality on all accounts? Aside from that, I don't like the Orange Island Arc much. Granted, I'd put it anyplace above Hoenn, Battle Frontier, Diamond and Pearl, and Battle Dimension, but to me the series already took a sharp decline in quality by the time the Orange Island filler came around. I don't hate Tracey, either - as a more minor filler character that joins the main cast for a time, I think he serves his purpose well enough. And despite the unending repertoire of fillers, I enjoyed Johto quite a lot - not nigh as much as the Indigo League - but I enjoyed it. "Gotta Catch Ya Later" still brings tears to my eyes in both Japanese and English. Still don't get why the writers can disregard Misty and not Brock. They did it once... they can do it again. Ash is going to have to eventually learn how to cook by himself, even if he doesn't age in a show like this (but then how did Brock age and why ever did he? 'Splanation plz).

That aside, I don't hate May, Max, or Dawn, but May is not an interesting character by comparison to Misty's more dynamic nature in my view and Max sounds bratty, spoiled, snotty, and like a smart alec even when he's not trying to sound bratty, spoiled, snotty, and like a smart alec. Dawn isn't an inherently bad character, but simply lacks Misty's depth by my view. I also don't like how the Japanese music was moreso disregarded later on. To me, it's far more placid, mastefully done, and relaxing than the dub music, which I don't hate at all (I still prefer the original English intro theme above all... every intro theme after that, in the dub, is not inspiring to me, and I think some of the dub music is quite good) - I just don't like it as much as the Japanese music. But that's for another thread.

As for the change in VAs that reached fruition about two years ago now... I see no reason to still have your ire raised over that. That's not going to change. Rudimentarily put, the dub is owned by PUSA. My issue with the new VAs, however, is that they put too much strain into their voices. It's so much so that the emotion comes out as stilted. The original VA's had a far more natural tone (which is the way I prefer it, not ULTRAAA-STRAINNNNNEED) and added far more to their respective characters. I do find it sad that the Japanese version hasn't been released with subs, though - I think it's quite awesome and even better than 4Kid's dub. The Seiyuus are that good at voicing emotion in my ears.

Though, if there is a positive that comes with the newer episodes, it's Ash maturity - he was in desperate need of it in comparison to his much more assertive, pompous, bratty, and impulsive nature that plagued his character in the earlier episodes. It worked well for his character development. However, said maturity was already well encompassed by the end of the Johto league, so yeah... but I still think his character was good, even in the first episode.

Team Rocket (Jessie, James, and Meowth).... I like them a lot when they're not overused. And that they're not as "evil" after the first few episodes is a good thing to me - they're evil yet they're not evil - that makes them interesting and gives them depth. Good and Evil dancing with each other is dandy, but conflicts that go deeper than that while still showing the necessity of the two (and how they are such for each other) are far more interesting to me.

But that aside, I do prefer the Indigo league episodes above all. Either the end of the Kanto episodes or the end of the Johto league would have been a good place to end the series in my view, albeit with a more epic and fervid ending that ties things up. After the Johto league, the series became little more than a dead horse beaten to inaneness in my eyes.

Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:02 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I really liked the original season, with Pokemon League at the Indigo Plateau. I dont know if I ever saw all the League battles.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:15 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

The first season was what got me into pokemon when i was younger. It was just amazing. I haven't really watched the new ones much, but they just don't have that special something to them. (although they're still pokemon, therefore awsome).

Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:07 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Why haven't I put my input on this yet D:

The first season is my favorite, it will forever have special place in my Pokemon heart, right next to Pikachu.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:21 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Johto journeys were my favourite three seasons. The first 8 seasons were pretty good, but after they changed the voice actors some substance seemed to be gone to the show, the new actors just sounded like a bunch of emotionless stoners.

Fri May 08, 2009 8:08 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Indigo for sure, Johto comes in second.

Sun May 31, 2009 2:05 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I prefer the first 5 seasons. But i still like it though. It's only that with the first 5 seasons I have a nostalgic feeling, and I like the way misty is behaving, because may and dawn are too kind. I find that there should be someone in it who is a bit anooying, for me tzhat is misty. I think I like the Indigo season the most of the 5 because I like to see 'how things are started'.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:10 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: In my Secret Base at Route 116- come and find me! :P
The only season I like is the first one, it's the one I grew up watching, and the stuff now is a steaming pile of Muk. I can't stand the voices now. Actually, I find it very difficult to watch dubbed Anime, I usually need to see it subtitled. I'm pretty sure the show still rocks in Japan.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:42 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Indigo and Master Quest, definitely the best! i like most of the seasons, but i absol-utely REFUSE to watch the D/P season!! generations 1 thru 3 are fine, but i can't stand 4! the only upsides are Shirona (Cynthia, but i prefer japanese names) and 4 pkmn (Luxray, Garchomp, Dialga and Darkrai). for me, HG/SS all the way!

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Indigo is definitely my favorite season but the first five seasons are like one really big season. The next three seasons were good (except the Pokemon Contests) but the rest is crap. I try to watch the other seasons but it's unbearable.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:56 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I just wish they could do the whole region quest in ONE season. They did all of indigo, the badges, rival battles, and had sidequests and even filler episodes and still managed to fit it in one season. Jhoto wasn't that bad because it followed the same plan, but I feel they put in a bit too many fillers. The hoenn and sinnoh episodes were way too hard to follow because there was about 10 filler/sidequest episodes between contests and gym battles. I don't bother with the sinnoh seasons because every time I want to watch an episode it's an old season episode I already watched and have no clue about how they got there and where they plan to go, or it's a pointless filler episode. I hope that they get back to the old roots and make it followable, where you can miss an episode or two and still follow what's happening.

current party in HG:
{typhlosion} {quagsire} {crobat} {tyranitar} {honchkrow} {gyarados}
If you want to find me outside of Psypoke, you can find me on the pokemon lab server, look for steamroll. They will also be updating to the Gen V metagame soon so that will be worth checking out, too.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next