It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:14 am



Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 New type weaknesses 
Author Message
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:59 pm
Posts: 399
Post 
Does no one realize how silly these arguments are?

Steel is just supposed to have a lot of resistances, but not unbalanced ones.

Electric is only super effective against 2 types and one type is completely immune. Ground is the only thing super effective against it, which is logical and shockingly balanced.

Dragon arguments are semi moot since it is a japanese game, with some western influences. Steel is resistant to dragon, because it's steel. I'm pretty sure they didn't need to think of some theoretical real life situation to come up with That one.

Dragons didn't have weaknesses in medival stories in the sense pokemon do, anyway. They were kinda like Smaug. His scales 1000 sheilds, his teeth 1000 swords, and his breath death.

Poison isn't super effective on a lot, though for some reason I always thought it should be super effective on fighting, but there aren't a ton of things resisting it and it generally has a strong chance of poison. Not great, but not as bad as most people think.

A lot of the suggestions people are bringing up seem ok contained within the one type they want to change, but it seriously changes the overall balance.


Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 246
Post 
Or you could just make the battle system really complex, for example, making rock resistant to dark moves like bite, but not against dark moves such as Dark Pulse. Consider the nature of the attack.

_________________
<center>Image<center>
<center>This signature is too small. Please refer to the signature rules. </center>
<center>


Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:55 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 5:12 pm
Posts: 214
Location: Realgam Tower
Post 
I always wondered why Fighting>Dark.


Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:06 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:03 am
Posts: 94
Post 
I guess would you have to read all of Sneaky's post, to get the the humor, and they're only a few faults in the whole type thing in my opnion, but it's easy to live with

_________________
Image
Need T-Wave Tm
FC:Femi...4338-9134-1615


Last edited by Death76 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:38 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:59 pm
Posts: 399
Post 
Death76 wrote:
:shock: Thats too funny man, atomic bombs lol
I really don't find that funny.

I really don't like that your entire post is about how you find it funny. I am offended.

Back to an earlier post, I think it really would be neat to have a more complicated typing system, same reason I really like the new physical special rules. Just can't happen very rapidly, y'know?


Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:30 pm
Posts: 842
Location: Psypoke
Post 
Water needs to be knocked down a few notches...

It has an advantage over Rock, Ground (which are usually combined, giving the water type x4 power) along with Fire.

It also does normal damage against Steel, which usually goes along with Rock and Ground.

The only 2 types that has an advantage over water are Grass and Electric. Grass doesn't count for much, though, because most grass type moves have low power, and plus water types can most of the time learn Ice moves.

Steel types should be given a resistance against water, along with electric. Also, Ice Types should be given an advantage over water, seeing that Ice FREEZES water. I don't understand how water has a resistance against ice.


Steel, on the other hand, has a lot of resistances. And as JsXtm said, that is the point of Steel Pokemon, but it could use on or 2 more weaknesses. I agree that Electric Types should be given an advantage over Steel, considering Steel conducts electricity.

Poison defines mediocrity. It is weak against ground and psychic, and does no damage to Steel. It has an advantage over Grass, but grass isn't far behind poison in terms of weakness. Poison could be given an advantage over Water, considering poison POLLUTES water.

Bug was given many type advantages, but is heavily lacking in the power department. Despite it's many weaknesses, bug has an advantage over Grass, Dark, and Psychic, dark and psychic being some of the games most powerful types.

_________________
Image
My Gallery | My Shop
I used to be able to make sigs for you. I forgot how.


Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:18 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:59 pm
Posts: 399
Post 
A lot of people seem to think water is overpowered, which really isn't all that true. I mean super effect on ground/rock/fire is a Very narrow range. It's just not all That valuable to have those types in check with surf.

Also as some have mentioned before, Ice doesn't freeze water. It just doesn't, water is relatively resistant to temperature change. So dampness logic aside it still makes total sense for water to be resistant to fire and ice types. Also Really even if that wasn't true they can't just give ice type advantages over 5 generally common types.

I also don't think Steel should be weak to electricity, I mean yeah it does conduct electricity. But electricity doesn't particularly hurt it more than anything else. I mean, all non-ground types conduct electricity. Steels weaknesses are consistent with the universe and are, I think, the reason steel types aren't as good as people want them to be.

Oh and also similar reasoning for poison. I mean yes it pollutes water. But it's the fact that it is poison that hurts, same with everything other pokemon. Also water types are organic, they aren't the same as a pool of water.


Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 212
Post 
Gnaaye wrote:
I think Electric should be strong against Steel. It makes sense, though.


Or, at least, have 100% accuracy.

_________________
Image
Serious? Buisness? Internet?


Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:57 pm
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 27
Location: canton
Post 
if its already been said im sry but should electric be supereffective against steel? i mean the relationship is obvious? metal conducts electricity so yeah

what i dont agree about is poisen super-effective against water. it just doesnt seem right.

i do agree with the steel being super effective against dragon though it makes perfect sense. (dragon slying w/ swords made of steel)

_________________
Image


Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:32 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:59 pm
Posts: 399
Post 
steelix210 wrote:
if its already been said im sry but should electric be supereffective against steel? i mean the relationship is obvious? metal conducts electricity so yeah

what i dont agree about is poisen super-effective against water. it just doesnt seem right.

i do agree with the steel being super effective against dragon though it makes perfect sense. (dragon slying w/ swords made of steel)
The problem with that is that it wasn't the fact that it was made of steel that killed the dragon, it was the fact it was A Sword.


Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:57 pm
Posts: 55
Location: Texas!!
Post 
well then shouldn't dragon be immune to fire 'cause they breath it 'n stuff

there should be a new type thats strong against dark, dragon, immune to normal, and weak against dark and bug for the hell of it...
it shall be called...light!!
you could change arceus, ralts, {ralts} kirlia, {kirlia} gardevoir {gardevoir}, and some others to light if they add the import option again. And yess i know they call dark evil in japan so i guess theyd call light holy or somthing. that and steel needs less resistances

_________________
<center>
Image


Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:59 pm
Posts: 399
Post 
AkAiR0_MaRA wrote:
well then shouldn't dragon be immune to fire 'cause they breath it 'n stuff

there should be a new type thats strong against dark, dragon, immune to normal, and weak against dark and bug for the hell of it...
it shall be called...light!!
you could change arceus, ralts, {ralts} kirlia, {kirlia} gardevoir {gardevoir}, and some others to light if they add the import option again. And yess i know they call dark evil in japan so i guess theyd call light holy or somthing. that and steel needs less resistances

Why should any of that happen? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. and by "it" I mean the whole post.

Especially when you say light would be super effect on dragons.


Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:30 pm
Posts: 842
Location: Psypoke
Post 
AkAiR0_MaRA wrote:
well then shouldn't dragon be immune to fire 'cause they breath it 'n stuff

there should be a new type thats strong against dark, dragon, immune to normal, and weak against dark and bug for the hell of it...
it shall be called...light!!
you could change arceus, ralts, {ralts} kirlia, {kirlia} gardevoir {gardevoir}, and some others to light if they add the import option again. And yess i know they call dark evil in japan so i guess theyd call light holy or somthing. that and steel needs less resistances


To me, LIGHT TYPE is the only type left that they could make. If they have dark, they could make LIGHT, but that doesn't make it a good idea. I don't think any new types should be added. They have all of the types they need now.

Bug and Dragon? Explain that! Don't really explain it because that would be spam.

_________________
Image
My Gallery | My Shop
I used to be able to make sigs for you. I forgot how.


Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:15 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:46 am
Posts: 1547
Post 
Uh, no. Water wouldnt be < Poison, because Poison would be super effective against something else, something it was good against in the days of RBY: Bug

It makes sense: Bugs are small, mindless creatures, and you would think a lot of things could beat a bug (fire, flying, and rock). Poison and bug were super effective against each other in RBY, and it changed to only poisjn resisting bug when the system was redone after adding on dark and steel. The only semi-bad part would be Parasect regaining the distinction of being screwed over the most by geting three 4x weaknesses (Fire, Flying, Poison).

I think the reason poison has been ignored, though, is because the most common status infliction in the game is Poisoning, and it has the possibility of being Toxic poisonibg, which can be certain doom for many teams.

As for Water, I think it does need another weakness, but I dont know what. The one that comes to mind fasttest would be Flying, based off of how birds eat fish.

_________________
Image


Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:08 pm
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:26 pm
Posts: 42
Post 
Quote:
As for Water, I think it does need another weakness, but I dont know what. The one that comes to mind fasttest would be Flying, based off of how birds eat fish.


that has some logic in it... but the only problem is that... not all of pokemon's water types are fishes...

and i dun think swords back then were made of steel... i always thought it was iron? And also, u cant say that dragon should be weak against steel just cuz of the swords... it was the sharp points that pierced the dragon thats y... and so if dragon is weak against steel, so if u toss a chunk of steel at it it dies? highly impossible...

and water resistant to fire i understand... but if the heat is strong enough, doesnt it evaporate the water?

_________________
Trainer Name: Keenan
Friend Code: 5412 6901 4665


Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:31 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.