It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:41 am



Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 New type weaknesses 
Author Message
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:23 pm
Posts: 1959
Location: Va
I only want to discuss one type weakness that should be added to DP. But with the way threads tend to develop, I've given this thread the name it has.

I think poison attacks should be super effective against water. Toxic chemicals, nuclear waste, sewage, ect, they are all things that destroy aquatic communties so it would make sense for poison to be super effective against water types.

Two more reasons to make it super effective are that poison types and poison attacks (other than toxic) would get used a lot more and water types with high sp. def. wouldn't be as uber as they are.

_________________
Image Image
^Image by dragoni_slayer2014^


Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:54 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:00 pm
Posts: 1903
Location: Pennsylvania
Post 
Dragon should be weak to something other than Ice and itself. I mean, take Kingdra. It's only weak to Dragon... and it's decently powerful... so, Dragon should be weak to... say... Steel (Remember the Dark Ages, when knights slayed dragons with swords?).

_________________
The statement below is false
The statement above is true


Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:42 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:25 am
Posts: 531
Location: ¬_¬
Post 
Electric should really be weak to something else other than Ground,maybe Rock.

I never understod why Steel is completely immune to Poison.Yeah,it should be immune to Toxic/Poison Powder etc. because most Steel types don't even have blood in their veins but they should be weak to Poison damage.Acid ---> Metal = Corossion(sp?).So...yeah.

I think it's odd how Flying types are weak to Rock atacks.I mean what is that based on?Little stupid children throwing rocks at birds? :?

I agree with the Water should be weak to Poison thing.IMO Poison should be super-effective against Steel,Water and Grass.The way things are now,Poison is only super-effective against Grass types and a lot of them take normal damage from Poison by being half-Poison themselves.I mean,what can Sludge Bomb OHKO (without being stat-boosted)?A freaking Tangela,Tropius or Bellossom >_< ?


Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:12 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:00 pm
Posts: 1903
Location: Pennsylvania
Post 
mr.m.m.j. wrote:
damage.Acid ---> Metal = <s>Corossion</s> corrosion

I think it's odd how Flying types are weak to Rock atacks.I mean what is that based on?Little stupid children throwing rocks at birds? :?

I mean,what can Sludge Bomb OHKO (without being stat-boosted)?A freaking Tangela,Tropius or Bellossom >_< ?


Maybe it goes back to arrows (arrowheads = rock) and slingshots, with the Flying/Rock thingabob.

I think that Dark and Fighting should both have another weakness. Psychic has three weaknesses (Dark, Bug, Ghost). Fighting should be weak to Dragon or something (Imagine -- a wrestler v.s. a wyvern. Who's gonna win? I thought so.), and Dark should be weak to Fire (Darkness is driven back by fire. I don't care about the mistranslation!).

_________________
The statement below is false
The statement above is true


Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:37 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:23 pm
Posts: 1959
Location: Va
Post 
If you don't concern your self with the mistranslation, it's not going to make much sense in Japanese.

Steel shouldn't be super effective against dragon. In all the stories where a knight, samuri, or whatever slays a dragon, the dragon has already killed many other knights, samuris, or whatevers. If steel was super effective, no one would have a problem killing dragons.

If poison were super effective against water, you wouldn't see a physical sweeper without sludge bomb and grass types could become physical sweepers without worrying about being total prey to a water type with an ice attack.

_________________
Image Image
^Image by dragoni_slayer2014^


Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:58 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:21 pm
Posts: 3128
Location: College
Post 
mr.m.m.j. wrote:


Electric should really be weak to something else other than Ground,maybe Rock.

I never understod why Steel is completely immune to Poison.Yeah,it should be immune to Toxic/Poison Powder etc. because most Steel types don't even have blood in their veins but they should be weak to Poison damage.Acid ---> Metal = Corossion(sp?).So...yeah.

I think it's odd how Flying types are weak to Rock atacks.I mean what is that based on?Little stupid children throwing rocks at birds? :?

I agree with the Water should be weak to Poison thing.IMO Poison should be super-effective against Steel,Water and Grass.The way things are now,Poison is only super-effective against Grass types and a lot of them take normal damage from Poison by being half-Poison themselves.I mean,what can Sludge Bomb OHKO (without being stat-boosted)?A freaking Tangela,Tropius or Bellossom >_< ?


1. Electric pwns, so no.
2. Steel is shiny, that's why it's immune to Poison.
3. They got it from the phrase "Killing two birds with one stone."
4. Poison kills stuff, so they want as horrible as possbile because people hate it, at least the Japanese people hate it, because they've had some bad experiences with poison...

_________________
Image


Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:07 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:52 am
Posts: 330
Location: Saturn!
Post 
Gardevoir1313 wrote:
(Imagine -- a wrestler v.s. a wyvern. Who's gonna win? I thought so.)


Wyverns have wings, so it would be Pokemon-ified as Dragon/Flying - Flying > Fighting

_________________
My Random Pokémon Generator


Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:09 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:12 am
Posts: 1738
Location: England, with the greasy fry ups.
Post 
I agree with the Water weak to Poison thing, pretty smart that.

I dont see why Normal types are not affected by Psychic, I think they should be most vulnerable to Psychic attacks.

Why does Grass affect Rock so much?? Chuck a ton of leaves on a rock and watch the rock just stay still... A rock could shred a leaf before a leaf can shred a rock. ;)

_________________
Coca Cola, 2 Litres a day, keep ma batteries onnnn.


Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:32 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:56 pm
Posts: 296
Location: Arising from my frozen state of death to curse you!
Post 
Why can't Normal be Super Effective against something? Maybe to Bug. Just about anything can stomp on a spider, <s>left w</s>right?

_________________
Quote:
Hello, emergency? I have a brain. How do I use it?


The cold-blooded Latias expert in Asia with powers over the stars.

80d10302


Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:31 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:52 am
Posts: 558
Location: The United Kingdom.
Post 
STEEL > BUG (steel could crush a bug, man.)
PSYCHIC > NORMAL (because they're... y'know, superior to the normal people)
ROCK > GRASS (rock can shred leaves.... just read what rubypoke wrote!)

that concludes my thoughts on this...


Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:59 am
Profile
Lite Four
Lite Four
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:03 am
Posts: 3835
Location: Singapore
Post 
The Poison > Water theory seems logical... or is it? I feel that toxic substances aren't lethal to aquatic organisms per se; rather, it's because toxins are poisonous to all living organisms. So if your argument goes, it would mean that close to all Pokemon (save for some weird ones like Magneton) would be weak against Poison, simply because they are living things.

Anyway, I feel that Fighting shouldn't be effective against Steel types. How is it that Karate Chops and other assorted kicking techniques are able to badly damage Steel? It doesn't seem logical.

_________________
ImageImage


Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:39 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:00 pm
Posts: 1903
Location: Pennsylvania
Post 
Saanaito wrote:
Gardevoir1313 wrote:
(Imagine -- a wrestler v.s. a wyvern. Who's gonna win? I thought so.)


Wyverns have wings, so it would be Pokemon-ified as Dragon/Flying - Flying > Fighting


Apart from flying. I mean, a Wyvern is 23 feet long usually... heh ^_^

rubypoke wrote:
Why does Grass affect Rock so much?? Chuck a ton of leaves on a rock and watch the rock just stay still... A rock could shred a leaf before a leaf can shred a rock. :wink:


Plants' roots grow into the rocks sometimes, causing cracks and whatnot. Then the rock goes bye-bye.

_________________
The statement below is false
The statement above is true


Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:40 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:23 pm
Posts: 1959
Location: Va
Post 
Grass beats rock because of Rock-Paper-Scissors. Rock gets beat by paper (paper comes from plants) and paper can't beat scissors (why grass is weak against steel).

Toxins are more deadly to aquatic ecosystems than it is to terrestrial ones because, in water, the toxins can move around and spread easily. While on land, the toxins just sit there, rarely moving unless something pushes them. It's a matter of being spread quickly vs. very slowly.

_________________
Image Image
^Image by dragoni_slayer2014^


Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:13 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:52 am
Posts: 558
Location: The United Kingdom.
Post 
but you've got to admit, in rock,paper,scissors, rock should beat them all, if paper covers rock the rock can't hurt you- nonsense! of course it still can!

I agree with sN0w on the fighting>steel thing,it isn't quite logical, how can a punch/chop/kick etc. badly damage steel? more like the recall would badly damage the attacker... :roll:


Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:14 am
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:37 pm
Posts: 1906
Location: Some fabulous place
Post 
I find it odd that a Bug could pwn a Psychic type. What does it do, crawl around and mess up the Psychic forcefield?
And, making Normal super-effective against something would mean, 1/4 of all Pokemon attacks (most of them are Normal...) would be super effective.
ZIGZAGOON used TACKLE!
Its super-effective!
Foe DEOXYS fainted!
*sigh*
Also, Steel seriously needs more type advantages. How many is it good against, like... Ice, Rock, ... 2 types from what I can remember. Ice types are scarce, and most have some advantage to prevent it from being super-effective. Jynx and Glalie are the only two I can name from the top of my head that are hit super-effectively. And Rock types...half of them have EQ, so byebye Metagross.

-Gardevoir~

_________________
GREAT FLAMING EYEBROWS


Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:23 am
Profile
Lite Four
Lite Four
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:21 pm
Posts: 3470
Post 
Bug was made Super Effective against Psychic so there was more balance in RBY.

I think the two most neglected types are bug and poison. Psychic out numbers bug attacks by like 50 times, so I think it should have some help from the poison type to take down psychic.

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:16 pm
Posts: 1013
Post 
Gardevoir~ wrote:
I find it odd that a Bug could pwn a Psychic type. What does it do, crawl around and mess up the Psychic forcefield?
-Gardevoir~

Personally, I believe that Psychics represent smart, nerdy peoples, and the last time I saw a smart person touch a bug (that wasn't an inchworm) they were like "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! OMG! RUN AWAY ITS AN ICKY BUG!" Thus, Bug>Psychic.

I don;t think that Pyshic>Normal would be a good idea because the way Psychics are superior to normal people is the same way they would be to all other non-Psychics, non-Darks, and non-Ghosts. Mewtwo could just as easily drive a Dunsparce crazy as it could a tangela, charizard, or a mantine.

I also think that Steel is immune to Poison because IMO Poison represents chemcials and disease. How is a machine supposed to get the flu?

Although I do have a question of my own:

Besides the fact that they needed a type that resisted Dragon, why steel? Dragons could beast a machine or pipeline or something just as easily it could an inchworm. Why not some other type such as...*thinks for a bit* GHOST! Why Steel and not Ghost?


Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:27 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:23 pm
Posts: 1959
Location: Va
Post 
Steel isn't super effective against a lot because almost nothing is very effective against it. That's why the best moveset for Registeel has it having Amnesia and Iron defense. It becomes a pure steel uber tank.

Steel is resistent to dragon because knights were saved from dragons by their shields.

Paper beats rock because the items in the game used to vary until the game became a more-than-3-items version of what we have now. In that game, paper beat the next one which logically beat rock http://www.jbrowse.com/text/janken.shtml. Then, that last item was dropped and we just have rock, paper, and scissors

_________________
Image Image
^Image by dragoni_slayer2014^


Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:28 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 9:49 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Forest of Tranquility
Post 
I think that bug is super effective against psychic because, psychic techniques would attack peopels minds and thoughts, but since bugs and insects act entirely on instinct and pre-programmed responses, the psychic attacks would have little effect and would not stop the bugs advance.


Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:24 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:37 pm
Posts: 1906
Location: Some fabulous place
Post 
Yay, Gardy runs screaming from a Caterpie :P
Good idea with the instinct thesis...ya.
GARDEVOIR used PSYCHIC!
Foe Caterpie twitched! Foe Caterpie reflected the attack!
lol
Its fun thinking of logical explanations for the type (dis)advantages. Just to clear a little thought of mine up, is Water weak to Grass because plants use water to grow (I know all organisms do, but plants seem the first to come to mind counting as they cant directly obtain it themselves)? I never really understood that.

-Gardevoir~

_________________
GREAT FLAMING EYEBROWS


Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:47 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:52 am
Posts: 558
Location: The United Kingdom.
Post 
I'm coming to think that instead of FIGHTING being 2x to NORMAL, DARK types should be 2x against NORMAL...


Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:50 am
Profile
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:55 am
Posts: 7
Post 
Well ground is immune to electric and flying is weak against electric, but it should actually be the other way round, since to be electicuted you need to be in contact with the ground.

_________________
Image


Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:37 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:41 am
Posts: 338
Post 
maybe bugs beat psychic because the bugs are too stupid to be hit with mind control stuff, :lol:. And why can't psychic hit dark? Maybe they're too emo, which creeps out the psychic types. Yeah, they should have emo type pokemon.
emo caterpie goes crying in the dark somewhere, emo caterpie has fainted from hating life.
They should also have light type, either weak against everything, but dark, and everything is weak against it (how nice) or it'd just be really good and stuff.

_________________
Pearl Friend Code:055932661237 - CJB in game

255 is the true devil's number.

typhlosion blaze wrote:
Wait, the guy who made this topic plays runescape? So 3rd grade.

From my "Stupid Insults" thread, where people tell eachother how people insulted them in a hilariously stupid manner, how ironic!


Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:23 pm
Posts: 1959
Location: Va
Post 
Bugs vs. psychic isn't so much logical as it is metaphorical. The type weakness is there to show that even the mighty psychics can be beaten by the lowly insects.

Sort of a Yurtle the Turtle kind of message.

_________________
Image Image
^Image by dragoni_slayer2014^


Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:14 am
Profile
Art Commentator
Art Commentator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:39 am
Posts: 2467
Location: London, UK
Post 
Why is Ice ineffective against Water? Ice freezes Water, so shouldn't it be the other way round with the resistances? Or maybe they just left it out to prevent Water becoming like Rock, i.e. weak agianst a million things.

_________________
Image


Fri May 05, 2006 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.