It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Latios Moveset? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Hey. First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, only it didn't seem to fit anywhere else. Now, I'd like some help with my Latios moveset. This isn't for competitive battling so please don't judge it as though it were to be used in the Uber Tier.

My current thinking would be a moveset like this:

Latios @ Soul Dew

Dragon Pulse
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover/Calm Mind

The only Pokemon that resist this combination are Magnezone and Shedinja. I chose Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor for sustained power and the Bolt-Beam combo for coverage. Although I am wondering if Grass Knot would be more worthwhile than Recover to take out Tyranitar, Swampert etc.

What are your thoughts to this moveset? Any comments or constructive criticism would be really appreciated. Thanks :)

I completed the Nuzlocke Challenge,give it a go!
FC (Rackham): 2751 3755 8475 (HG)

Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:38 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

It is a very good moveset in my opinion. But Grass Knot is NOT worth putting on, because it will not kill Tyranitar. That is, unless you are fighting unlucky friends who have bad EVs/IVs.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:47 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It will 2HKO Tyranitar, and without it, there is nothing on this moveset that can really handle him. I can't switch out for fear of Pursuit and I can't afford to stay for too long if he's running a physical set, due to his bulk and ability to take hits, especially in a sandstorm. Do you see my dilemma?

Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:22 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I see your dilemma. Looking at Smogon Tyranitar sets, you always lose (against skilled players) unless you have an HP EV of 56 (but only against Choice Banded Tyranitar).

Swampert isn't really a problem, though. It can't OHKO.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think I'll have to use him as a sort of Late-game sweeper, scouting out the opponents' team and taking out any threats to Latios before attempting to sweep.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:34 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thunderbolt usage is debatable. Although Thunderbolt gets 100% accuracy, Thunder does a better job of getting clean KOs. Of course, the 70% accuracy translates to roughly 10% accuracy when you really need it to hit.

I wouldn't exactly drop Calm Mind from the set. Quoting from Smogon...

Quote:
After a single Calm Mind, Latios reaches a jaw-dropping 808 Special Attack stat, and is capable of OHKOing or 2HKOing most of the commonly seen Uber Pokemon.

You can instantly give yourself a boost of something around 200 Sp. Atk with one round of setting up (try switching into an opponent who is choice banding a less effective move, or just has bad typing), and then go on to sweep with Dragon Pulse. The great thing about the move is that only one type resists it, and you get STAB- so you can just use it over and over to consistently KO.

I've never heard of a Latios set with Ice Beam. It actually sounds like a decent idea. On the other hand, dropping Recover can seriously hamper your ability to set up.

Shameless Self Advertisement?

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:51 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I see your point, but without Ice Beam, there's a bunch of Pokemon that resist both of the other moves.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]