It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Shiny Chaining vs Breeding 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

So, I've been playing for over a year, and I can't get a freaking shiny.

I'm sure you've all heard this story before, but I just wanted to hear out your own thoughts on breeding vs chaining for shinies. Chaining has caused me nothing but pain, and when I heard that breeding increased the chances of getting a shiny by 75%, I was pretty excited. But after an evening of walking backwards and forwards, sitting on eggs, with nothing to show for it, I am dubious.

Thoughts?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

lol, hey rybo? are you talking about the medusa method? you do realize with that method you have to breed a pokemon from a different regional game with a pokemon from your game? so breeding a japanese charizard with your charizard would increase the chance of getting a shiny charmander by around 75%. lol, you cant just breed to of your pokemon and expect to get a shiny in no time. even with the medusa method, youre still hatching a lot of non shiny pokemon. and with chaining, you have to get around 40 chains before you really have a chance at a shiny.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:29 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Ryder is essentially right. The increase in chances at a shiny in breeding (Called the Masuda method, named after Game Freak director Junichi Masuda.) requires one of the pokemon to be from a different language game than the other. I must have hatched 2000 eggs trying to IV breed a shiny Eevee. I gave up and used a Japanese female and finally the pokemon gods smiled upon me and rewarded me with 2 shiny eevees. What I do is breed batches of 400-500 pokemon without saving. I save at the end of the egg collecting, then hatch them over the next week. (While 2 incompatible pokemon sit in the daycare to level up.) Before knowing of the Masuda method I never got a shiny through breeding. Using the masuda method i've gotten 4. The chances are still pretty slim (1/2048) but it's an improvement.

When it comes to chaining, I have absolutely no experience. I can only get up to 7 chains, then i fail >.<

Does anyone know if the Daycare couple says something special when 2 different language pokemon are in the daycare? I have some pokemon that I suspect may be German, but its hard to tell.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:17 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

lol, nope, they say the same things, depending on how compatible your pokemon are.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:20 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Hunting for shinies = waste 'o time.

Let your first shiny come to you, don't go out and find it. I can't express how disgusted I am with people wasting hours and hours of their time to find shiny Pokemon (which are basically worthless anyway). I, at one time, wanted to find a shiny Pokemon in Pearl Version too. Eventually when I was EV training my Mew I found a shiny Gastly in Old Chateau (it's kinda nice to have a shiny Pokemon from somewhere that the radar doesn't work) and I caught him.

I think you should just keep playing the game normally until you run into one. It'll be a total surprise, and that's the fun part about shiny pokemon. :)

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

lol, i dont usually shiny hunt, krisp. i occasionally do for pokemon that look really awesome as shiny, but since i dont cheat i use the mesuda method which IS a legit way to get shinies. ;)

lol, anyways i had the awful luck of finding my first shiny before i had pokeballs, in the game. and my second shiny got away cuz i just hadnt bought any pokeballs yet XD

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ryder wrote:
lol, hey rybo? are you talking about the medusa method? you do realize with that method you have to breed a pokemon from a different regional game with a pokemon from your game? so breeding a japanese charizard with your charizard would increase the chance of getting a shiny charmander by around 75%. lol, you cant just breed to of your pokemon and expect to get a shiny in no time. even with the medusa method, youre still hatching a lot of non shiny pokemon. and with chaining, you have to get around 40 chains before you really have a chance at a shiny.

lol, hey, I may have a 'NOOB' stamp on my forehead the size of a bowling ball, but give me some credit. :P

Yes, I am referring to the medusa method. Yes, I am using wo pokemon from different countries. And yes, I am aware of the fact that the chances of obtaining a shiny are still 2000-and-something to one. Hence the 75% chance ratio in my original post... ;)

And yes, I am aware of the fact that chaining requires over 40-50 chains before supposedly seeing results. I am also aware of the fact that it runs on the concept of 'gambler's fallacy', or the law of averages, and that chaining does not, in fact, increase your odds of seeing a shiny pokemon exponentially. It only increases the number of times you MIGHT see a shiny pokemon...

I probably hatched around 50 eggs last night before calling it quits... which obviously wasn't enough in this case. :)
Sigh, I shall persevere.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:46 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

lol, credit given, Ryder hands you a perseverence badge, bows, and walks away.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:15 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

*attaches credit ribbon to his prize Dragonite, and then gives himself a sour poffin*

Yum. :)

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:15 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I agree with Krisp. It is a lot more of a suprise when you randomly encounter shiny. Thats what i do. It's a lot more fun, well it is fun as long as you had a poké ball with you.

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:03 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

breeding shinies is a giant waste of time, but being able to give my roomie a shiny eevee for her birthday (she's never seen a shiny since Gold/Silver) was epic :P

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:12 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

im breeding just cuz of the increased chance of getting a shiny with the medusa method, and cuz my friend REALLY wants a shiny roserade. lol. but he's hopeless with breeding. no patience. XD

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:39 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I know I couldn't stand to breed that long. I can barely train for more than a few hundred battles. ._.

I've only ran into shinies in the Battle Tower... It sucks.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:01 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Ryder wrote:
im breeding just cuz of the increased chance of getting a shiny with the medusa method, and cuz my friend REALLY wants a shiny roserade. lol. but he's hopeless with breeding. no patience. XD

wow...I have successfully chained shiny {budew} in Eterna Forest (about 3 or 4 of them I think...) in Pearl as it was the easiest place to do so & chaining was also how I saw my first Pearl shiny...by chaining...it's actually harder in Platinum to chain then in Daimond & Pearl so...I don't even try to chain in Platinum anymore as it heeds painful results...& in my other 2 games I started them over so I can't chain in them yet...& I can't breed more then a box full of pokemon looking for a shiny before I give up on it so...the Masuda Method is out...try it, not enough for me but an improvement...as for seeing shinies in the "Battle Tower", only in LG...

As for which I would perfer, it depends on the method as if I haven't seen a random shiny yet then I perfer Chaining but if I have then I perfer Breeding RNG Style as Breeding is the longest method to get a pokemon I have ever seen...so, I choose "Chaining" since you get to pick what type of Pokeball you want the shiny to be in...like a Nest Ball for a shiny {misdreavus} or shiny {chansey} , etc...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:51 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

SO, I've just spent the last 2 and a half days breeding over 120 Larvitar eggs, and no shiny. But I'm not ready to give up yet. I've evaluated, and I think breeding's the way for me. ;)

CHaining does make sense though, I've decided. Though it doesn't increase the chances of manifesting a shiny, it does theoretically give you a 4/8000 chance every time you ping the poke radar (the number of grass ruffles), which equates to roughly 1/2000 anyway... The problem (and blessing) is the sparkle the grass does for a shiny. While it means you can pick and choose where a shiny will be, it also means you have to stay alert, and I don't thin there's enough Mountain Dew in the world for me...
I've just stockpiled another 100 eggs, and am getting ready to have another run at it this evening.

Must... get... shiny... before... HGSS... :)

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:33 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

when i can i mix red bull with monster with root beer. :D makes me hyper alert, but the crash is terrible. lol. XD

EDIT: sorry bout the horrible typos. all fixed now :P

Last edited by Ryder on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:05 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ryder wrote:
when i cahin i mis red bull with monster with root beer. :D makes me hyper alert, but the crash is terrible. lol. XD

Is that relevant?

Anyway, I like Chaining more than breeding. I haven't got a shiny doing either yet, but chaining seems a lot easier.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:08 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

yeah, ryan, it was relevant. i was talking bout what rybo had said "not enough mountain dew in the world for me...." i was saying whenever i chain, thats just what i do. anyways, i prefer breeding. it may sometimes take longer, but its still fun. and i havent chained very much, lol. :D

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:28 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Also if you have Platinum, you should definetely pick breeding since you unlocks something by breeding for the Villa & something else...

But all & all, after getting Chaining down I just have to pick it over Breeding but sadly so cause again I do not have the patience for Breeding like some better people do...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:31 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

i plan on getting platinum after i get HG. i have pearl right now. so *sigh* none of the special stuff is available to me right now. XD

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:37 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Oh, man, you guys are not going to believe what just happened to me...
So I just finished cracking open the 220-somethingth Larvitar egg, with no shinies found. I was ready to call it a night, so I went to the Global Trade, cause I'd been using all my excess Larvitar as bargaining chips, and some cruel and unusual individual sent me a LEVEL 100 SHINY HERACROSS...

I don't know whether I'm happy or sad. Probably happy. Pretty wild, eh? :)

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:32 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Rybo wrote:
Oh, man, you guys are not going to believe what just happened to me...
So I just finished cracking open the 220-somethingth Larvitar egg, with no shinies found. I was ready to call it a night, so I went to the Global Trade, cause I'd been using all my excess Larvitar as bargaining chips, and some cruel and unusual individual sent me a LEVEL 100 SHINY HERACROSS...

I don't know whether I'm happy or sad. Probably happy. Pretty wild, eh? :)

Well, is it Legit?

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:53 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ryanh181 wrote:

Well, is it Legit?

Not really an efficient way of telling, is there? I mean, it really is a shiny, that's certain. But, I mean, even if someone didn't use an AR to generate the shiny itself, who knows if they didn't cheat to make the thing such a high level...
Don't get me wrong, I'll still try for a legit shiny. But as far as I'm concerned, since I have no real way of knowing, I'd think I'll just assume that it is legit and never be any the wiser (though we all know that there's an awful lot of cheaters out there).

Better to live in ignorant bliss in this instance, I reckon. :)

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

lol, congrats, rybo. i just got myself a smexi gold steelix! evolved from a shiny onix. anyways, bout your shiny heracross, apparently even if it was hacked, it has all the same things a real heracross would have, same stats, moves, etc. otherwise GTS would have rejected it. :D i also just got a shiny male ralts for a gallade, and a shiny ponyta and psyduck, all legit. lol, i be happy. btw, i got my shiny onix and ralts from mallratdogma, he breeds legit shinies for two TM's from a list of TM's he has (they're TM's that you cant buy, but not all of them are very good, i think, and the price is great, so what the heck.) for one shiny, or an event pokemon for two shinies. i got my shinies within a day or two, really quick, with good egg moves, and he nicknames em whatever you want. lol, if you order a shiny from him, tell him Ryder sent you. :D (lol, am i turning into a walking advertisement?)

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:31 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Rybo wrote:
Better to live in ignorant bliss in this instance, I reckon. :)

This very much as "Ignorance is of A Virtue" believe it or not...

I'll be back with something legitamite to the Topic at hand...

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next