It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next
 Gen IV Rating Center 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ajit wrote:
I'm not sure where you heard Psychic was bad. Plus it gets STAB.

Thunderbolt & Ice Beam are better type coverage.

_____

cazaa09, please read the rules on the first page of the rating center. This is for competitive teams; you should read Smogon articles to get started.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:08 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

so this is what I ultimatly went with in the VGWC, I worked very well defeating 22 VGWC Teams (Out of 26)
Remember doubles

Groudon {groudon} Expert Belt
Sassy EVS HP, AT

Earthquake
Fire Punch
Dragon Claw
Rock Slide
He was able to survive Kyogre and Mewtwos Blizzard, then KO it with Earthquake with the EV spread I gave it

Zapdos {zapdos} Life Orb
Bold EVs HP, SD, DF, SA

Discharge
Heat Wave
Air Cutter
Roost
I was only able to use Roost once I didn't help too much I was KO'd next turn, still survived Groudons Rock slide and Garchomps Stone edge, I gave it life Orb because it need the Oomph more than Groudon, Air Cutter work great as No one expected it.

Lugia {lugia} Leftovers
Modest EVs HP SA

Aeroblast
Icy wind
Thunder bolt
Protect
I went with Icy wind in hopes of slowing the foes down to get Metagross more Hits, protect to deal with metagrosses explosion and to get a free turn of leftover recovery

Metagross {metagross} Quick claw
Adamant
EVs HP AT

Earthquake
Iron Head
Explosion
Rock Slide

Quick claw to surprise foes, and get in explosioin before Its KOd Nothing Makes Mewtwo more upset than getting flinched by metagross, Explosion devastated foes of course, SD EVs allowed it to take Zapdos Heat wave in the sun and KO with rock slide

Giratina {giratina} Griseous Orb/Leftovers
Adamant EVs HP AT DF SD

Earthquake
Shadow Force
Outrage
Protect

Protect bought it time to heal with leftovers, mean while it took every Draco meteor, Dragon claw, Dragon pulse, and Outrage from every pokemon, Except the Hax Shiny Rayquaza I fought and lost to

Togekiss {togekiss} Serene grace Lum Berry
Modest EVs HP SA SD DF

Air Cutter
Aura Sphere
Heat Wave
Hyper Beam
Air cutter was awsome dispit what Smogon thinks, KOing many foes that were expecting air slash, Hyper Beam was also good as It took out many foes, including full health Mewtwo, Kyogre and Groudon. Lum berry was because while testing the team I was always shut down by status and togekiss is my most versitil pokemon.

feel free to quote this as VGWC are over for me this year

Last edited by /vXv\ on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:13 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

#381 Latios
Dragon-Psychic
Ability: Levitate
Item: Dragon Claw

Draco Meteor (140/90/5)
Water Pulse (60/100/20)
Thunderbolt (95/100/15)
Psychic (90/100/10)

#208 Steelix
Ground-Steel
Ability: Rock Head
Item: Metal Coat

Dig (80/100/10)
Flash Cannon (80/100/10)
Stone Edge (100/80/5)
Double Edge (120/100/15)

#065 Alakazam
Psychic
Ability: Synchronize
Item: Spell Tag

Psychic (90/100/10)
Shadow Ball (80/100/15)
Disable (--/80/20)
Shock Wave (60/100%/20)

#365 Walrein
Water-Ice
Ability: Thick Fat
Item: Nevermeltice

Ice Beam (95/100/10)
Body Slam (85/100/15)
Blizzard (120/70/5)
Surf (95/100/15)

#243 Raikou
Electric
Ability: Pressure
Item: Magnet

Thunder Fang (65/95/15)
Crunch (80/100/15)
Rain Dance (--/--/5)
Thunder (120/70/5)

#250 Ho-oh
Fire-Flying
Item: Charcoal

Flamethrower (95/100/15)
Brave Bird (120/100/15)
Fly (90/95/15)
Sacred Fire (100/95/5)

Ruby/Emerald/FireRed/HeartGold

FC: 3223 8627 0164

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:20 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Hello Psypokians! Here's a team I requested to my friend just for some pure attack fun on Shoddy Battle, and seeing how well it's served me there, I'm considering creating it on my heartgold.

GET OWNED, the Lvl1 {smeargle}@ Focus Sash--LEAD
any nature
Own Tempo
stats: level 1...no stats needed
~Trick Room
~Spore
~Endeavor
~Dragon Rage

This gets 'em about 85% of the time, and when it does, it usually takes out about 2 of their pokemon. The strategy is that they attack (focus sash), Smeargle uses TR, then spore, Endeavor, then DR them. If they don't attack, but insist on setting up stealth rock, then it usually takes out two pokemon. I've seen ghost leads sometimes, so then I switch.

FACE FACE FACE, the Lvl100 {scizor}@Choice Band--???
Adamant
Technician
HP248/ATK252/Spd8
~Bullet Punch
~Superpower
~U-Turn
~Pursuit

Not much to say here, but Superpower goes over the roof, especially with the choice band in play.

GAAAASDF, the lvl100 {tyranitar}@Choice Scarf--???
Jolly
Sand Stream
HP4/ATK252/SPD252
~Crunch
~Pursuit
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge

Again, just pure, raw, attacking.

BREAK THINGS, the lvl100 {salamence}@Choice Specs--???
Modest
Intimidate
DEF 4/SPD 252/SP. ATK 252
~Draco Meteor
~Dragon Pulse
~Flamethrower
~Hydro Pump

I don't know what to say here. It's a dragon that's useful against quite a few things. The fact that it's scarfed...and has Draco Meteor...means it can stay in for a while, just doing damage.

AQEWYRTDF, the lvl100 {starmie}@Life Orb--???
Timid
Natural Cure
HP4/SPD 252/ SP. ATK 252
~Thunderbolt
~Hydro Pump
~Surf
~Ice Beam

Ice Beam is for those annoying dragon types and grass types mostly. Vaporeons, Gyaradoses, no problem.

UP YOURS, the lvl100 {jirachi}@Expert Belt--???
Jolly
Serene Grace
HP 80/ATK 252/SPD 176
~Iron Head
~Fire Punch
~Stealth Rock
~Thunder Wave

Probably the only lvl100 here that has non-damage-dealing moves. It's some variation of the wall-breaker jirachi, but it's useful, especially against those fighting types, like Machamp.

So, this team was thought up for pure damage, and little else. It works pretty well, especially with the lead Smeargle effectively destroying the opponent's plans early on. Especially for those who think they're smart, and decide to switch pokemon each turn as my smeargle runs through the motions, it ends up hurting them, because they end up with a pokemon that's asleep, one with low HP thanks to endeavor, and another that took 40 HP of damage from Dragon Rage. I'd just like some opinions on it, like whether or not I should actually go to the lengths of creating it on my game, what could be changed to improve it, and your thoughts on the whole "KILLKILLKILL!!! DO MASSIVE DAMAGE BY SCARFING AND ATTACKING!!!" thing. My experiences on Shoddy say that it's much better than the "cautious" method of dealing with non-damage-dealing moves....the way I've been playing for 11 years is the latter. Anyway, rate, and stay cool this summer!

PowerPeanut OUT! :D

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Quick question, does it take awhile to get the rating test graded? I sent it in to master chef at least a few weeks ago now, I haven't gottena reply...

FC:
5414 2352 1981 (Soul Silver)
4642 7245 1078 (White 2)

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:37 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

aws41109, read the rules, the rating center is for competitive teams.

PowerPeanut wrote:
Hello Psypokians! Here's a team I requested to my friend just for some pure attack fun on Shoddy Battle, and seeing how well it's served me there, I'm considering creating it on my heartgold.

GET OWNED, the Lvl1 {smeargle}@ Focus Sash--LEAD
any nature
Own Tempo
stats: level 1...no stats needed
~Trick Room
~Spore
~Endeavor
~Dragon Rage

This gets 'em about 85% of the time, and when it does, it usually takes out about 2 of their pokemon. The strategy is that they attack (focus sash), Smeargle uses TR, then spore, Endeavor, then DR them. If they don't attack, but insist on setting up stealth rock, then it usually takes out two pokemon. I've seen ghost leads sometimes, so then I switch.

An interesting take on FEAR. However, any player knowledgeable about the metagame will recognize Focus Sash / Endeavor because of your level and try to put a Substitute up or send a Ghost pokemon out.

FACE FACE FACE, the Lvl100 {scizor}@Choice Band--???
Adamant
Technician
HP248/ATK252/Spd8
~Bullet Punch
~Superpower
~U-Turn
~Pursuit

Not much to say here, but Superpower goes over the roof, especially with the choice band in play.
Standard CB Scizor

GAAAASDF, the lvl100 {tyranitar}@Choice Scarf--???
Jolly
Sand Stream
HP4/ATK252/SPD252
~Crunch
~Pursuit
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge

Again, just pure, raw, attacking.
I would not recommend 3 (!) Choiced sweepers on your team. Try using DD Tyranitar.
Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Jolly 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Dragon Dance
Stone Edge
Crunch
Earthquake

BREAK THINGS, the lvl100 {salamence}@Choice Specs--???
Modest
Intimidate
DEF 4/SPD 252/SP. ATK 252
~Draco Meteor
~Dragon Pulse
~Flamethrower / Fire Blast
~Hydro Pump

I don't know what to say here. It's a dragon that's useful against quite a few things. The fact that it's scarfed...and has Draco Meteor...means it can stay in for a while, just doing damage.
You may find it more useful with Fire Blast over Flamethrower.

AQEWYRTDF, the lvl100 {starmie}@Life Orb / Expert Belt
Timid
Natural Cure
HP4/SPD 252/ SP. ATK 252
~Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin / Recover / Psychic
~Surf
~Ice Beam

Ice Beam is for those annoying dragon types and grass types mostly. Vaporeons, Gyaradoses, no problem.
Don't use two attack moves of the same type (Hydro Pump and Surf). Rapid Spin could be useful, but if you want offensive EVs on Starmie you'll need to have good prediction to use it. (Otherwise, use the standard spinner set on Smogon). Otherwise, you can consider Recover and Psychic instead of Hydro Pump.

UP YOURS, the lvl100 {jirachi}@Leftovers
Jolly
Serene Grace
HP 80/ATK 252/SPD 176
~Iron Head
~Fire Punch
~Stealth Rock
~Thunder Wave

Probably the only lvl100 here that has non-damage-dealing moves. It's some variation of the wall-breaker jirachi, but it's useful, especially against those fighting types, like Machamp.
Use Leftovers for some recovery; while you're ParaFlinching you'll be able to take advantage of Leftovers more. Also, this is a good pokemon to switch in asap after Smeargle to get Stealth Rock up.

So, this team was thought up for pure damage, and little else. It works pretty well, especially with the lead Smeargle effectively destroying the opponent's plans early on. Especially for those who think they're smart, and decide to switch pokemon each turn as my smeargle runs through the motions, it ends up hurting them, because they end up with a pokemon that's asleep, one with low HP thanks to endeavor, and another that took 40 HP of damage from Dragon Rage. I'd just like some opinions on it, like whether or not I should actually go to the lengths of creating it on my game, what could be changed to improve it, and your thoughts on the whole "KILLKILLKILL!!! DO MASSIVE DAMAGE BY SCARFING AND ATTACKING!!!" thing. My experiences on Shoddy say that it's much better than the "cautious" method of dealing with non-damage-dealing moves....the way I've been playing for 11 years is the latter. Anyway, rate, and stay cool this summer!

There are really several team strategies. Having a purely defensive / non-attack moves is a stall team, which you have to use well to avoid anti-stall. On the other hand, going straight out attacking will fail if your opponent gets one of his sweepers set up. You need to be able to counter enemy Dragon Dancers, for example. Going for a mix of offense and defense is better; you should aim to switch pokemon (especially defensive pokemon) until you have a chance to get your sweeper set up. I would recommend replacing Starmie and Scizor with a physical and special tank. Dragon Dance Tyranitar will be your set-up sweeper, while Specsmence can switch in and deal heavy damage quickly. Note: you could have pokemon like CMcune and Curselax as your tanks; they can sweep if given the chance to set up as well. You just need to be able to stop an enemy sweeper.

PowerPeanut OUT! :D

elementotrl wrote:
Quick question, does it take awhile to get the rating test graded? I sent it in to master chef at least a few weeks ago now, I haven't gottena reply...

I think MasterChef stopped rating teams temporarily; you can send it to me.

Shinies

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:53 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Help Rate my New Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lead:
Infernape - Jolly w/ Life Orb
4 HP, 252 attack, 252 speed
Fake Out
U-Turn
Close Combat
Blaze Kick

Salamence - Rash w/ Life Orb
4 At, 252 sp. attack, 252 speed
Draco Meteor
Hydro Pump
Earthquake
Outrage / Fireblast?

Dragonite - Lonely w/ Life Orb
252 attack, 252 sp. attack, 4 speed
Draco Meteor
Extreme Speed
Hidden Power (Grass)
Outrage/ Earthquake?

Blissy - Bold w/ Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 sp. def.
Ice Beam
Charge Beam
Softboiled
Heal Bell

Starmie - Timid w/ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf?
252 sp. attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Hydro Pump
Grass Knot

Heracross - Adamant w/ Flame Orb?
252 attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Mega Horn
Facade?

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:40 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'd like to bring back to attention a couple teams that haven't been rated yet, mine included. (no offense labarith)

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:30 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

15th century wrote:
Alright, this team is for the Battle Frontier on Heartgold. I have Emerald and Leafgreen, so I have access to the move tutors from there. I'm open to suggestions for other pokemon that might work better for the same role. The only thing I can't really do is get the trade evolution pokemon from Gen IV (Electivire, Rhyperior, etc.). I'm also not too concerned about team construction yet, since I'm still busy thinking about each individual pokemon.

{suicune}
Suicune@Chesto Berry
Bold, Pressure
252 Spd, 129 Sp Atk, 129 Def
Surf
Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
Calm Mind
Rest

This is supposed to be a special sponge or a plain tank. Calm mind until HP is low, rest up, then attack. I don't know which secondary attack move to use. Ice beam hits grass but leaves water with little damage, Shadow ball hits both but isn't super effective against either.

Not a bad sweeper, I suppose, but I'm partial to the Sleep Talk variant:
Leftovers
Surf
Calm Mind
Rest
Sleep Talk

That said, (a) you should always do Ice Beam over Shadow Ball, and (b) if you're doing a rest-guy, maxing out HP is probably not a bad idea. Afterall, both physical and special attacks subtract HP, but the sp. def doesn't count towards stopping a physical attack.

{umbreon}
Umbreon@Leftovers
Calm, Synchronize
252 Def, 252 Sp Def, 6 Hp
Moonlight
Double Team
Toxic
Confuse ray

I know that BP is the standard Umbreon set, but I want an Umbreon that's solely a tank. I also don't care that I'll be excluded from society because of Double Team. :)

All I can say is that this guy is a free switch in for steel guys.
That and here we have YET ANOTHER guy who you should max out HP on, as - again - HP "applies" to both attacks. Besides, higher HP = more gain from Leftovers = better use of Leftovers. If you're seriously using leftovers on something, try to max out HP on that thing.

{blissey}
Blissey@Leftovers
Bold, Natural Cure
252 Def, 129 Hp, 129 Sp Def
Softboiled
Double Team
Toxic
Counter

Not much to explain. Basically the same idea as Umbreon, with counter to take care of physical trappers.

1. Max out HP.
2. Seismic Toss is pretty standard, but G3 exclusive. I do not fault you for not having it if you don't have access to it.
3. That's 2 guys whose main attack is Toxic. Fail.
4. Counters counts the HP loss, right? YET ANOTHER reason to favor HP over Sp. def.
5. Counter's probably crap, you probably want to include Heal Bell or Aroma Theraphy to use this guy to heal your guys. Given your current setup of Suicune, this is pretty much essential as you might need to rest a 2nd time.

{charizard}
Charizard@Petaya Berry
Modest, Blaze
252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 6 Hp
Flamethrower
Air Slash
Dragon Pulse
Ancientpower

Do I really need to explain?

Charizard is pretty much UU because he does nothing better than other fire starters like Infernape. I consider switching to a mixed or physical sweeper Infernape.

And again, HP > Def.

{hitmonchan}
Hitmonchan@Expert Belt
Adamant, Iron Fist
252 Atk, 129 Def, 129 Spd
Sky Uppercut
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Thunderpunch

Is it a good idea to have all three punches, or do I just need two?

1. 3 punches is probably fine.
2. No one uses Fly or Bounce in wifi battles, and when they do, as a fighting guy, you switch out.
3. HP not def.
3. Punches do hit a lot. But I'm having trouble thinking why this guy is better than, say, Electrivire.

{gardevoir}
Gardevoir@Lum Berry
Modest, Synchronize
252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 6 Def
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Hypnosis/Calm Mind

Special sweeper with the Lum/Synchronize combo. Still not sure about the last move slot.

1. HP>Def.
2. Shadow Ball seems like a dead move to me. What does it hit that Pyshic doesn't?
3. Hypnosis seems better than calm mind, if only because it gives you a chance against something you really don't have a chance against.

Comments in red.

Now rate mine. :P

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:50 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Thanks for the rating. The reason I don't have Infernape or Electivire
is simply because I don't have a second ds and not very many of my friends
can trade with me. And I have Shadow Ball on Gardevoir to hit ghosts
and other psychics.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:17 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

15th century wrote:
Thanks for the rating. The reason I don't have Infernape or Electivire
is simply because I don't have a second ds and not very many of my friends
can trade with me. And I have Shadow Ball on Gardevoir to hit ghosts
and other psychics.

1. It's the internet. I'll trade you a good chimchar if you want. And if you have an electibuzz ev trained that's worth evolving, I'll probably help you out with that too. PM me.
2. Dark Pulse hits all that AND normal types.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:49 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

labarith wrote:
15th century wrote:
Alright, this team is for the Battle Frontier on Heartgold. I have Emerald and Leafgreen, so I have access to the move tutors from there. I'm open to suggestions for other pokemon that might work better for the same role. The only thing I can't really do is get the trade evolution pokemon from Gen IV (Electivire, Rhyperior, etc.). I'm also not too concerned about team construction yet, since I'm still busy thinking about each individual pokemon.

{suicune}
Suicune@Chesto Berry
Bold, Pressure
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Surf
Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
Calm Mind
Rest

This is supposed to be a special sponge or a plain tank. Calm mind until HP is low, rest up, then attack. I don't know which secondary attack move to use. Ice beam hits grass but leaves water with little damage, Shadow ball hits both but isn't super effective against either.

Not a bad sweeper, I suppose, but I'm partial to the Sleep Talk variant:
Leftovers
Surf
Calm Mind
Rest
Sleep Talk

That said, (a) you should always do Ice Beam over Shadow Ball, and (b) if you're doing a rest-guy, maxing out HP is probably not a bad idea. Afterall, both physical and special attacks subtract HP, but the sp. def doesn't count towards stopping a physical attack.

{umbreon}
Umbreon@Leftovers
Calm, Synchronize
252 Def, 252 Sp Def, 6 Hp
Moonlight
Double Team
Toxic
Confuse ray

I know that BP is the standard Umbreon set, but I want an Umbreon that's solely a tank. I also don't care that I'll be excluded from society because of Double Team. :)

All I can say is that this guy is a free switch in for steel guys.
That and here we have YET ANOTHER guy who you should max out HP on, as - again - HP "applies" to both attacks. Besides, higher HP = more gain from Leftovers = better use of Leftovers. If you're seriously using leftovers on something, try to max out HP on that thing.

Double Team is allowed in Battle Frontier, but it's not advisable because it can't be relied on. (If you're going for 100 wins, the chance of Umbreon dodging everything that needs to be dodged is slim). Better: go with Substitute or Protect over Double Team; Protect gives you a guaranteed avoidance every two turns, but Substitute lasts if you're opponent is Confused.

Use 252 HP / 129 Def / 129 SpD; Umbreon's HP is lower than his defenses.

Warning: the Toxic stall strategy is quite slow, and you'll probably find yourself hit by a OHKO once or twice.

{blissey}
Blissey@Leftovers
Bold, Natural Cure
252 Def, 129 Hp, 129 Sp Def
Softboiled
Double Team
Toxic
Counter

Not much to explain. Basically the same idea as Umbreon, with counter to take care of physical trappers.

1. Max out HP.
2. Seismic Toss is pretty standard, but G3 exclusive. I do not fault you for not having it if you don't have access to it.
3. That's 2 guys whose main attack is Toxic. Fail.
4. Counters counts the HP loss, right? YET ANOTHER reason to favor HP over Sp. def.
5. Counter's probably crap, you probably want to include Heal Bell or Aroma Theraphy to use this guy to heal your guys. Given your current setup of Suicune, this is pretty much essential as you might need to rest a 2nd time.

Blissey gains little benefit from extra SpD, put those EVs into HP. Again, don't bother with Double Team. It's fun to dodge opponents, but sooner or later you'll take a hit. If you want more immobilization, go with Thunder Wave (not only are opponents paralyzed 25% of the time, but you can also Softboiled before they attack).

Counter is viable in Battle Frontier, because opponents will use physical moves even if they know you have Counter.

Suicune has Rest, and Blissey has Natural Cure. Umbreon might have Substitute. Unless you really have problems with status in BF for some reason, you shouldn't need Aromatherapy or Heal Bell.

{charizard}
Charizard@ Choice Specs
Timid, Blaze
252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 6 Hp
Flamethrower
Air Slash
Dragon Pulse
Ancientpower

Do I really need to explain?

Charizard is pretty much UU because he does nothing better than other fire starters like Infernape. I consider switching to a mixed or physical sweeper Infernape.

And again, HP > Def.

If you're going pure special attacking, why not use Choice Specs? If you really want to use Petaya Berry, however, try the SunnyBeamer set:
Charizard @ Petaya Berry
Timid/Modest 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 6 Hp
Sunny Day
Substitute
Flamethrower
Solarbeam

{hitmonchan}
Hitmonchan@Expert Belt
Adamant, Iron Fist
252 Atk, 129 HP, 129 Spd
[color=yellow]Close Combat

Agility
Ice Punch
Thunderpunch

Is it a good idea to have all three punches, or do I just need two?

1. 3 punches is probably fine.
2. No one uses Fly or Bounce in wifi battles, and when they do, as a fighting guy, you switch out.
3. HP not def.
3. Punches do hit a lot. But I'm having trouble thinking why this guy is better than, say, Electrivire.

Fire Punch is not needed for type coverage; Agility is better. Especially when Hitmonchan is slow to begin with.

Go with Close Combat over Sky Uppercut; you'll have better accuracy and a stronger attack (at the cost of recoil).

{gardevoir}
Gardevoir@Lum Berry
Timid, Synchronize
252 Sp Atk, 200 Spe, 56 HP
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Will-o-Wisp / Hypnosis / Wish
Calm Mind

Special sweeper with the Lum/Synchronize combo. Still not sure about the last move slot.

1. HP>Def.
2. Shadow Ball seems like a dead move to me. What does it hit that Pyshic doesn't?
3. Hypnosis seems better than calm mind, if only because it gives you a chance against something you really don't have a chance against.

Gardevoir is not a pure sweeper; you should take advantage of support moves instead of Shadow Ball. Go with Timid, then you can get some HP EVs. If you use your support moves well you can get in an extra Calm Mind to further boost your SpA.

You should note that Charizard, Hitmonchan, and Gardevoir are UU or NU; if your goal is to get 100 wins, you may want to consider OU pokemon.

Comments in red.

Now rate mine. :P

I'll rate your team next labarith...but did you take the Raters Test to rate teams here?

Shinies

Last edited by Sion9 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:29 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

And thanks for the better rating! You'll have to bear with me, because I'm really not used to making defensive sets. Would Suicune, Umbreon, and Blissey make a fairly good team together? If so, which Suicune set should I use and what should be my lead? And should I just scrap the double teams? I'm not setting goals as high as 100 battles yet, just the gold plates for now.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:56 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sion9 wrote:
I'll rate your team next labarith...but did you take the Raters Test to rate teams here?

I didn't know there was such a test. He was asking for someone to rate his team, so I was just trying to help out.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:41 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

labarith wrote:
Sion9 wrote:

I didn't know there was such a test. He was asking for someone to rate his team, so I was just trying to help out.

If you saw Serebii 3yrs ago when I was there, you'd know why a test was created here. Anyways, the rules are on the first page.

15th century wrote:
And thanks for the better rating! You'll have to bear with me, because I'm really not used to making defensive sets. Would Suicune, Umbreon, and Blissey make a fairly good team together? If so, which Suicune set should I use and what should be my lead? And should I just scrap the double teams? I'm not setting goals as high as 100 battles yet, just the gold plates for now.

Suicune, Umbreon, and Blissey is a completely defensive team. With Suicune's Calm Mind, you *might* be able to get away with it by using Suicune to sweep. However, the normal team is 1 physical sweeper, 1 special sweeper, and 1 wall / tank (and Suicune would be a good tank). Whether you use Ice Beam or Sleep Talk on Suicune depends on the other two pokemon you choose. Ice Beam has more coverage; Sleep Talk lets you attack while resting.

labarith wrote:

Lead:
Infernape - Jolly @ Focus Sash
Fake Out
Stealth Rock
Close Combat
Blaze Kick
I'm not sure what this accomplishes as a lead. You can Fake Out, the U-Turn to do some damage to the opponent, but ideally you'd be setting up Stealth Rock or other lasting team support moves. The standard lead is with Focus Sash; your Fake Out destroys your opponent's Sash. Then you can set up Stealth Rock and survive at 1 HP to activate Blaze.

Salamence - [color=yellow]Naive
@ Life Orb
4 At, 252 sp. attack, 252 speed
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Earthquake
Outrage

Mixmence wants Fire Blast for Steel types (like Scizor and Skarmory). Naive is a better nature for the general mixed attacker for the speed; Rash is used for wall-breaking.

Dragonite - Lonely w/ Life Orb
252 attack, 252 sp. attack, 4 speed
Draco Meteor
Extreme Speed
Hidden Power (Grass)
Outrage/ Earthquake?
This isn't much different from Salamence; and having to Dragon/Flying pokemon on your team is a questionable idea anyways. Replace with a physical tank.

Blissey - Bold w/ Leftovers
Ice Beam
Charge Beam
Softboiled
Heal Bell
Interesting. Charge Beam allows you to boost SpA without requiring a slot for Calm Mind. However, Charge Beam does not apply paralysis, and status is a major benefit of CM Bliss.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold 252 Def 252 SpA 4 HP
Serene Grace
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Softboiled
Calm Mind

If you really have problems with status you can put Heal Bell over Calm Mind (I think the paralysis is better than SpA boosting). However, against opponents who think they can set up a Calm Mind Suicune or whatever against you, Calm Mind works great. I've swept teams with this set.

Starmie - Timid @ Choice Specs
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Surf
Grass Knot
Special sweeper Starmie.

Heracross - Adamant w/ Flame Orb?
Close Combat
Swords Dance
Megahorn
Facade

Make sure to run Swords Dance to get more offensive power.

Most of your team is based on straight-out attacking. Generally this is not enough to sweep; and opponents with Atk/Def boosters like CMCune or CurseLax will tear through your team with ease. Get more stat boosting moves like Swords Dance and Nasty Plot. After replacing Dragonite with a physical tank, I would also replace Salamence or Starmie with a more defensive or stallish pokemon, maybe a Leech Seed Celebi or Roserade. Get your opponents low by forcing them to switch in Stealth Rock or drain HP; and then send out your sweepers to finish them off.

Shinies

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:48 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm trying an espeon set I made myself.

Espeon @ Wise Glasses @ Modest
6 HP / 252 Sp.Att / 252 Speed
~ Psychic
~ Toxic
~ Calm Mind
~ Substitute

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:31 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ryanh181 wrote:
I'm trying an espeon set I made myself.

Espeon @ Leftovers
Timid 6 HP / 252 Sp.Att / 252 Speed
~ Psychic
~ Baton Pass
~ Calm Mind
~ Substitute

First, you need Leftovers for recovery, and Timid for speed over Modest. Use Calm Mind for the SpA boosts.

Sub-CM is good, but why Toxic?

The Sub-CM-BP set is known as EspyJump, and is a great team supporter. Switch in on a special attacker, Substitute then Calm Mind up as long as you can (a good opponent will switch to a physical attacker immediately). BP your Sub and Calm Minds to an appropriate teammate.

Shinies

Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:43 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

New Team in need of feedback:

Lead: Infernape - Jolly @ Focus Sash
Fake Out
Stealth Rocks
Close Combat
Blaze Kick

Strategy - I really like Focus Sash on this guy, and he's got the stealth rocks, so generally he either KOs the first guy while leaving stealth rock for when the next guy comes out, or he fakesout, stealth rock, and either switch or dying hit to set up the revenge kill

Salamence - Jolly @ Life Orb
252 At, 252 speed, 4 HP
Draco Meteor
Crunch
Earthquake
Outrage

Non-pump sweeper - Salamence can usually sweep most non-tanks w/o an issue; Draco Meteor gives it a 1-off attack for physical walls and a dragon attack that doesn't lock him into suicide mode.

Gyarados - Adamant w/ Leftovers
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Stone Edge

DD Sweeper - I think this is a fairly standard build, and is fairly safe to switch into water and flying moves - so he often comes in after they bring out something to kill Infernape.

Blissey - [Serene Grace] Bold w/ Leftovers
Ice Beam (dragons, freezing)
Charge Beam (for special sweeper conversion)
Softboiled
Heal Bell (cleric duty)

Heal Bell makes this a decent cleric, as burn or paralysis really messes up my big guns bad. Ice Beam can usually kill a Salamence after a Stealth Rocks, and after a few charge beams this thing is a special tank. 20% chance of freeze is nice, and the best way to deal with an opposing blissey. Maxed our HP makes this very hard to kill, save for physical fighting moves.

Thunderbolt (for flying, water)
Ice Beam (for dragons, rock)
Hydro Pump (for the big guns; ice beam has similar coverage and more reliability)
Grass Knot (for Swampert)

Special sweeper

Metagross - Impish w/ Leftovers
252 HP, 252 def, 4 attack
Iron Head (for flinching!)
?Agility?
Hammer Arm (for blissey)
Iron Defense

Physical Tank/Wall

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:11 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Also a new team also in need of feedback

Infernape Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Swords Dance
Grass Knot

Gliscor Ice Fang
Earthquake
Thunder Fang
Roost

Tyranitar Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Taunt
Crunch

Leafeon X Scissor
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball
Aerial Ace

Vaporeon Wish
Surf
Ice Beam
Toxic

Garchomp Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Swords Dance
Stone Edge

Not sure of items yet.
Thanks in advance.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

labarith wrote:

Fake Out
Stealth Rocks
Close Combat
Blaze Kick

Strategy - I really like Focus Sash on this guy, and he's got the stealth rocks, so generally he either KOs the first guy while leaving stealth rock for when the next guy comes out, or he fakesout, stealth rock, and either switch or dying hit to set up the revenge kill

252 At, 252 speed, 4 HP
Draco Meteor
Crunch
Earthquake
Outrage

Non-pump sweeper - Salamence can usually sweep most non-tanks w/o an issue; Draco Meteor gives it a 1-off attack for physical walls and a dragon attack that doesn't lock him into suicide mode.

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Stone Edge

DD Sweeper - I think this is a fairly standard build, and is fairly safe to switch into water and flying moves - so he often comes in after they bring out something to kill Infernape.

Softboiled
Heal Bell (cleric duty)

Heal Bell makes this a decent cleric, as burn or paralysis really messes up my big guns bad. Ice Beam can usually kill a Salamence after a Stealth Rocks, and after a few charge beams this thing is a special tank. 20% chance of freeze is nice, and the best way to deal with an opposing blissey. Maxed our HP makes this very hard to kill, save for physical fighting moves.

Hydro Pump (for the big guns; ice beam has similar coverage and more reliability)

Special sweeper

Explosion
Hammer Arm (for blissey)
Iron Defense

Physical Tank/Wall

Your team pretty much has good movesets. However, it also has the largest Starmie weakness I've ever seen. Your only semi-counter is Blissey - and a good opponent will use that against you by predicting the switch. Actually, you're weak to any boltbeamer - if you let an Electivire get speed boosted, it will sweep your entire team as well. Jolteon will cause huge problems too. It's a good start; you should redesign your team to be able to counter most OU pokemon.

chessmaniac109 wrote:
Also a new team also in need of feedback

Post your team when you have items & EVs decided.

Shinies

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

This is a new team i have come up with. Ive made some major changes from the original team and it's working a lot better.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 200 HP/56 Atk/252 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Steel Wing
---
This skarmory doesn't always live very long, but it can easily ko aerodactyls and usually gets sr up.

Salamence @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Pretty good moves here, dd sweeper with fire blast to deal with steel types.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Surf

Just a standard Crocune set, works pretty well. Timid nature is simply to outspeed other suicunes

Alakazam @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/6 SDef
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Charge Beam
---
Alakazam is pretty fast, so the goal here is to come in on a weakened pokemon, use charge beam, and sweep. Gyarados works extremely well for this, so it is very important to have stealth rock support.

Weavile @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Low Kick
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
-Night slash

Revenge killer. Only problem is the stealth rock weakness. Also, can't decide on last move

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 100 HP/156 Atk/252 Def
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Roost

Gliscor is here primarily because of an electric weaknessbut he is also pretty good for some tanking. Hyper cutter is a very useful ability.

Platinum:0131 6405 3972
HG:3653-2811-9825
Up for a battle anytime! Just send me a PM.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Blastiose_ex wrote:
This is a new team i have come up with. Ive made some major changes from the original team and it's working a lot better.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/56 Atk/200 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Steel Wing
---
This skarmory doesn't always live very long, but it can easily ko aerodactyls and usually gets sr up.

Interesting Steel Wing choice to KO Aerodactyl. Max HP rather than Def because Skarmory's base Def is already high. If you need a phazer you may consider using Whirlwind over Brave Bird.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Pretty good moves here, dd sweeper with fire blast to deal with steel types.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Surf

Just a standard Crocune set, works pretty well. Timid nature is simply to outspeed other suicunes.

I agree that you may not need a Bold nature, having Gliscor and Skarmory on your team, but what good does outspeeding other Suicunes do when you're still attacking them with Surf?

Alakazam @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/6 SDef
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Charge Beam
---
Alakazam is pretty fast, so the goal here is to come in on a weakened pokemon, use charge beam, and sweep. Gyarados works extremely well for this, so it is very important to have stealth rock support.

Weavile @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Low Kick
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
-Night slash

Revenge killer. Only problem is the stealth rock weakness. Also, can't decide on last move.

Standard.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 100 HP/156 Atk/252 Def
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Roost

Gliscor is here primarily because of an electric weakness but he is also pretty good for some tanking. Hyper cutter is a very useful ability.

Gliscor is not the best pokemon to block electric attacks with due to its 4x weakness to Ice, and the common BoltBeam combo. With two physical walls/tanks, you probably want to choose a specially defensive pokemon instead. As many electric attacks you face will likely come be Thunderbolt or Charge Beam - special attacks - a type resistance may not be necessary if you have a special wall.

Alternately, you could keep Gliscor and replacing Suicune with CMBliss, or another special tank.

The largest threat comes from a speed boosted BoltBeam sweeper. For example, if Life Orb Electivire took a Charge Beam (not unlikely, if you're going to be Charge Beaming Gyarados's) you would have difficulty stopping it. HP Ice Jolteon, with its speed, may be an issue as well - but adding a special wall will counter Jolteon.

Without a special wall, though, any speed boosted special sweeper could sweep.

Shinies

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i don't want to get rid of suicune, but will get rid of gliscor. what do you think would make a good replacement for gliscor? i'm trying blissey.
Also i changed my skarmory set to SR, steel wing, drill peck, and whirlwind

Platinum:0131 6405 3972
HG:3653-2811-9825
Up for a battle anytime! Just send me a PM.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:35 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

So now that things have calmed down with baby and moving I'll try do more rates.

Last edited by MasonTheChef on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:01 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

labarith wrote:

Fake Out
Stealth Rocks
Close Combat
Blaze Kick

Use Fire Blast over Blaze Kick. It deals more damage to various threats, like Swampert, Machamp, and Metagross. In addition, Infernape should try and avoid running more than 192 speed EVs, so as to avoid outspeeding other Infernape when they Close Combat, and outspeed base 100s (+Spd nature with 192 Spd EVs). 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spd is the most efficient leadape EVset, with Fire Blast > Blaze Kick.

252 At, 252 speed, 4 HP
Draco Meteor
Crunch
Earthquake
Outrage

Classic MixMence would be far better for the team than this somewhat gimmicky Salamence set that you're running (looks like the DD set with DM > Fire blast and Crunch > Dragon Dance). MixMence runs 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe; Rash; Brick Break/DracoMeteor/Flamethrower/Roost. It would probably work better, and allow this team to break stall more easily.

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Seems okay, I guess. Maybe consider Taunt to combat Skarmory more easily? Otherwise, seems fine.

Softboiled
Heal Bell (cleric duty)

Put Thunder Wave onto the set instead of Charge Beam. I'll explain why at the end of my post, when I go over weaknesses in the team. Also, use Natural Cure; it's the better Ability in general.

Seems fine, consider Trick > Grass Knot, though Swampert does leave a major dent in your team, so then again, maybe not.

?Agility?
Hammer Arm (for blissey)
Iron Defense

Max Attack and Speed with an adamant nature, allowing you to outpace Scarfed base 100s after Agility (I'm pretty sure on that, not positive). Iron Defense is useless, as the set is designed to sweep with Agility, and Hammer Arm can also be removed from the set, Since Meta can't take the speed drops. Meteor Mash should probably be used over Iron Head, and replacing Hammer Arm and Iron Defense, consider either Zen Headbutt and Ice Punch, or Thunderpunch and Ice Punch.

There aren't many large annoyances in the movesets of the Pokemon, but there are a couple major weaknesses. First off, DDMence can sweep through a significant portion of the team, only being revenged by Metagross. Consider running Scarf on Starmie over Specs as to alleviate this threat a little. Secondly, despite the fact that you could beat it with some smart switching between Salamence and Gyarados for Intimidate, DDTar leaves a huge dent in this team if it's running Babri Berry. This is why I suggest that you run Thunder Wave on Blissey. Another option would be to remove Blissey altogether, as she doesn't really fit on an offense based team like this one. I'd use Scarfgon instead as to alleviate the weaknesses I mentioned (Jolly can speed tie with +1 DDMence).

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next