It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Chaining for Shinies(Pokéradar) 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I give up. Every single thing Ive tried to chain even Bidoof has broken. The swarms arent easier to chain in my opinion. Im going back to SRing for my Chimchar, Totodile and Uxie. Shame, i really wanted shiny Buneary, Growlithe and Eevee by chaining

Current Shiny Projects: {tepig} {eevee} {foongus}

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:19 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Don't give up. There will be times when you will go through these "dry spells", but that doesn't mean that your chaining career is over. Take a break for a few days and try again.

Also, this is more than likely just superstitious thinking, but I always walk up to the patch I am about to enter and stay there for a few seconds. After the wait, I walk in, and the patch turns out to be just fine.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well the other day I was just chaining and catching Pokemon to fill my Pokedex, and I got a SHINY {weepinbell} as the second Pokemon on the chain! Really made my day and has encouraged me to chain for shinies.

Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader.

PM me for a casual battle or for the Gym Badge once the League is up.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:39 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Kurushel wrote:
Also, this is more than likely just superstitious thinking, but I always walk up to the patch I am about to enter and stay there for a few seconds. After the wait, I walk in, and the patch turns out to be just fine.

When I recomplete the story line in one of either DP or Pt, I am definetely trying this out & yeah AlphaArceus, you should really listen to him cause I actually have had very bad days chaining sometimes & I mean just horrible but I still was good to chain another day, frustration is a weakness, not a strength no matter what anyone else says so...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:40 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Case in point:

I have had several chains break at 39 in the past, but I have also had times when I walked away with a good haul from a chain. Just last night I caught four shiny Larvitar in about 50 minutes.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:54 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

heyheyhey, i'm so excited, as i was chaining for {aron} again, and got the chain up to 26. I walked up to a patch that was safe, and it broke my chain. but guess what was in it?? a shiny {floatzel}!!!!!! i didn't even see the stars!!!! my first shiny (outside of a storyline)!!! and it wasn't even one of the 1/200 odds ones!!! whoop!!! like TheKid, i am now officially encouraging people to chain; you never know what you're going to get (copyright psypokes chaining guide.) lolz but really, i'm excited about this (and to think i couldn't even find an aron yesterday....)

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:07 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Kurushel wrote:
I have had several chains break at 39 in the past, but I have also had times when I walked away with a good haul from a chain. Just last night I caught four shiny Larvitar in about 50 minutes.

This is a feat I myself wish to accomplish, one of the few swarm pokemon in DP that I haven't even be able to chain due to bad timing on my part...

rex09 wrote:
heyheyhey, i'm so excited, as i was chaining for {aron} again, and got the chain up to 26. I walked up to a patch that was safe, and it broke my chain. but guess what was in it?? a shiny {floatzel}!!!!!! i didn't even see the stars!!!! my first shiny (outside of a storyline)!!! and it wasn't even one of the 1/200 odds ones!!! whoop!!! like TheKid, i am now officially encouraging people to chain; you never know what you're going to get (copyright psypokes chaining guide.) lolz but really, i'm excited about this (and to think i couldn't even find an aron yesterday....)

Another feat I wish to accomplish but aron is too rare without an ability which I for some reason didn't have a pokemon with so...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:40 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lawence Codye wrote:
Another feat I wish to accomplish but aron is too rare without an ability which I for some reason didn't have a pokemon with so...

uh, i'm confused as to what you mean by "ability which i....etc." hmmm, shiny larvitar, huh?? those are pretty neat. but dang, you caught those quick. how many max repels did it take you?? i always carry 150 when i'm chaining, and to get up to 26 aron took me about 20-30 max repels (it's killing my money, man....). i know Lawence Codye takes 200-300 with him (he said it earlier). how much else does everyone take with them???

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:28 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

rex09 wrote:
uh, i'm confused as to what you mean by "ability which i....etc.

I meant the ability Magnet Pull which increases your chances of encountering Steel Type pokemon by a certain percentage which I don't remember at the moment...

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:11 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lawence Codye wrote:
rex09 wrote:

I meant the ability Magnet Pull which increases your chances of encountering Steel Type pokemon by a certain percentage which I don't remember at the moment...

ah, ok. i got what you mean. and i think it's by about 20%, if i'm not mistaken. even without it, it's not incredibly difficult to find them. only look at the violently shaking patches, and you'll eventually find an aron. for me, the problem's chaining up to 40. but then again, that's regardless of species, so....

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:52 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Some pokemon are actually much easier to chain. It depends on a pokemon's appearance rate, which is why it's more difficult to chain pokemon in "violently" shaking patches, as you call them.

As far as Max Repels go, I generally carry anywhere from 350 to 400 on me because I sometimes chain different species in the same area. If money is an issue, use the Vs. Seeker in conjunction with an Amulet Coin on Route 212. There is an elderly couple there, each with one pokemon...very easy to defeat. This is the fastest way I've found to make money.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:30 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Kurushel wrote:
Some pokemon are actually much easier to chain. It depends on a pokemon's appearance rate, which is why it's more difficult to chain pokemon in "violently" shaking patches, as you call them.

As far as Max Repels go, I generally carry anywhere from 350 to 400 on me because I sometimes chain different species in the same area. If money is an issue, use the Vs. Seeker in conjunction with an Amulet Coin on Route 212. There is an elderly couple there, each with one pokemon...very easy to defeat. This is the fastest way I've found to make money.

ok, that explains a lot. i wanted to say the patches that flash more, but i didn't want someone to confuse that with a shiny patch. the route 212 tip is very useful (i was just going to go through the E4 a crapload of times), so thanks for that. 350-400... how many does it usually take you guys to get up to 40?? sorry for the multititude of questions, i'm just trying to figure some stuff out about this.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:11 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

rex09 wrote:
how many does it usually take you guys to get up to 40?? sorry for the multititude of questions, i'm just trying to figure some stuff out about this.

Not really a straight answer to this but my range based on all the chains I have ever done is anywhere from around 75-125(not exact but close enough), It's based on how rare the pokemon is your chaining I think, not sure of this but I find it harder to even get suitable patches when chaining rarer pokemon then when say chaining swarm pokemon(based off of my personal experience so)...I say this;

Kurushel wrote:

Pretty much add this to my answer & that should help, I hope...

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:36 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Lawence Codye wrote:
rex09 wrote:

Usually you can't ever escape from that. If you want a steel type, good for you. If not, you'll have to make it faint

{charmander} {squirtle} {bulbasaur} {cyndaquil} {totodile} {chikorita}
{torchic} {mudkip} {treecko} {chimchar} {piplup} {turtwig}

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:30 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Eeveelution84 wrote:
Lawence Codye wrote:
rex09 wrote:

Usually you can't ever escape from that. If you want a steel type, good for you. If not, you'll have to make it faint

okay, magnet pull isn't a move, it's an ability.... and you have to make it faint no matter what for chaining (either that or catch it, which doesn't happen usually until you find a shiny).
btw, thanks lawence codye. for the info, i mean.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:45 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

rex09 wrote:

Your welcome but I'm not the only person you should be thanking, right?...

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:50 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I just found a shiny Ariados. I was chaining it and the chain was at 14. I reset the radar and the shiny patch appeared. Then the chain broke at 15. shame. Time for a break

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:19 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lawence Codye wrote:
rex09 wrote:

Your welcome but I'm not the only person you should be thanking, right?...

True, thanks Kurushel and everyone else (though in this instance i was referring to the amount of max repels you used, which was only answered by you; he told me how many he carries though, and there's lots of tips here, so...)
good on you alphaarceus!!! had a similar experience recently (even though i wish it was a pokemon that i might actually use...but i will still treasure it :-D). i guess it shows that patience pays off in the end.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:14 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

AlphaArceus wrote:
I just found a shiny Ariados. I was chaining it and the chain was at 14. I reset the radar and the shiny patch appeared. Then the chain broke at 15. shame. Time for a break

A well deserved break I would say...

rex09 wrote:
True, thanks Kurushel and everyone else (though in this instance i was referring to the amount of max repels you used, which was only answered by you; he told me how many he carries though, and there's lots of tips here, so...)
good on you alphaarceus!!! had a similar experience recently (even though i wish it was a pokemon that i might actually use...but i will still treasure it :-D). i guess it shows that patience pays off in the end.

Oh okay & yeah, patience is EVERYTHING in pokemon...

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:50 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

so.... i'm curious, what kinds of shinies have you guys chained?? mostly swarms and chain-exclusives, i'm guessing?? my problem is i chain for a while on a certain species, then suddenly lose interest, and all the work goes down the toilet.... but, at least every time i find a different one i want :-D

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:38 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

rex09 wrote:
so.... i'm curious, what kinds of shinies have you guys chained?? mostly swarms and chain-exclusives, i'm guessing?? my problem is i chain for a while on a certain species, then suddenly lose interest, and all the work goes down the toilet.... but, at least every time i find a different one i want :-D

Oh well, I have too many to list but I will say this...My thing was that I went around chaining whatever was the Swarm for the day & whatever other pokemon of interest I wanted shiny that I could get by Chaining(of course I knew where what I was looking for always was), I would chain the swarm at whatever time I get to my game til it of course is no longer swarming & as for everything else, I attempt to chain it around 3 times & whatever happens during those 3 or less times are all that happens that day & if I find 1 shiny chaining a certain pokemon then once that chain breaks then I call it quits & get out while I'm ahead(of course I'm always ahead but still)...

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:23 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Going back to the question about how many Max Repels it usually takes per chain, I honestly don't keep track. I just make sure to carry more than what I know I will need.

Concerning which kinds of pokemon I chain, I learned by chaining swarms. My favorite targets are the pokemon that only appear by using the pokeradar.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:13 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

For those people that want an easy Pokemon to chain, I just found that Togepi is very easy to chain. Togepi is Radar exclusive. I easily, got to a 39 chain last night, and the Corsola broke it. I did it again this morning, and easily reached 40. I got a shiny one at 25, and then reset the radar at 40, and caught another, and then I broke it by walking into the wrong patch, but I got 2, thats pretty good. But I really want Eevees. Who has experience chaining Eevee or other Trophy Garden Pokemon?

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:38 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

AlphaArceus wrote:
For those people that want an easy Pokemon to chain, I just found that Togepi is very easy to chain. Togepi is Radar exclusive. I easily, got to a 39 chain last night, and the Corsola broke it. I did it again this morning, and easily reached 40. I got a shiny one at 25, and then reset the radar at 40, and caught another, and then I broke it by walking into the wrong patch, but I got 2, thats pretty good. But I really want Eevees. Who has experience chaining Eevee or other Trophy Garden Pokemon?

Awwwwww man, you are in for hell as it is a Trophy Garden exclusive pokemon(in the wild anyway) which means it shows up at around only 4% of the time when not chaining & when chaining it is hell to encounter in the normal patches & slightly(only slightly) easier in the radar patches, did you already hear from the owner that Eevee was spotted in the Garden cause if not, you won't see it at all...I have never gotten to 30 chaining Eevee itself but have chained a pokemon with simular encounter rate known as Clefairy & got to 41 with 1 Shiny encountered & caught(I chained it in the radar patches)...

the thing here is to not get impatient at all & as I do, look for patches that are 4 steps in one direction & then 2 steps in another direction from there but it will take a minute as the Trophy Garden's grass setup is a bit small which will mean you will take generally longer getting to 40 if possible & after 10 are chained(this applies to all pokemon of course), that's when the chaining gets serious & you will have to actually be on your game & after 20, mistakes are not your friend ever as even a slight mistake can end the day for you...

once you get to 40 I suggest not dare venture into anything else at all unless it's a Shiny patch(I did this & lost my Clefairy chain because of it at) even if it seems to be taking forever which sometimes it does & keep doing this til either you had enough or your chain breaks because of a accidental mistake or you use a shiny patch which happens to be right by solid ground(happens to be on the edge), that's all I got except to make sure you are going out there only to chain that 1 pokemon & Nothing Else with around 400 to 500 repels as you will lose 100s of them just getting to 40(trust me here, I know from experience)...

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:57 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i usually just reset the radar once I hit 35-40 although Ive had shiny patches at 25 and 14. Right now Im finding that Radar Exclusive Pokemon are easier to chain than anything else Ive tried. Im not planning on just jumping into Eevee. Im going to get better by chaining some Radar Exclusives. Then, im going to move on to harder stuff. Ive done Ralts a couple times in order to catch an army of Synchronizers. I wansnt really looking for shinies, but if I happen to find them, that thats super. Then I'll start working on trophy garden pokemon.

Last edited by AlphaArceus on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next