It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 No Guard VS. Guts 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: On the back of a stampeding Tauros squealing, "WHEEE!"
For competitive battling, I want to specially train a Machamp, and I'm kind of torn between which ability to get.

Moveset: (if paired with No Guard: makes all moves have 100% accuracy)
Dynamicpunch
Earthquake
Fling (while holding Iron Ball)
Thunderpunch

Moveset: (if paired with Guts: increases Machamp's attack by 50% when inflicted with a status condition)
Close Combat
Earthquake
Thunderpunch

100% chance of confusing the foe with the Dynamicpunch + No Guard combo would be great, but is it worth it if the foe's attacks can't miss either? Opinions are appreciated.

Mon May 28, 2007 2:48 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Taser wrote:
For competitive battling, I want to specially train a Machamp, and I'm kind of torn between which ability to get.

Moveset: (if paired with No Armor: makes all moves have 100% accuracy)
Dynamicpunch
Earthquake
Thunderpunch

Moveset: (if paired with Guts: increases Machamp's attack by 50% when inflicted with a status condition)
Close Combat
Earthquake
Thunderpunch

100% chance of confusing the foe with the Dynamicpunch + No Armor combo would be great, but is it worth it if the foe's attacks can't miss either? Opinions are appreciated.

I believe No Armor also applies to your opponent. I like the first moveset, since most times Machamp won't be able to utilize Guts because of it's Low speed. Another nice combo to try: No Armor and OHKO moves. (Double Battle only, as Machamp doesn't learn any OHKO moves)

Mon May 28, 2007 3:07 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Well think of it this way, if you have a 100% chance to confuse, once they are confused, they wont have a 100% chance they'll even get in a move :)

Mon May 28, 2007 3:07 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

As to me, both movesets are quite similar to each other, but still I will suggest some things.

No Guard

Probably one of the most excellent abilities out there because you can make, say Lapras/Glalie, score as many Sheer Colds as it can in a double battle. Therefore, there have been cases of Anti-Machamp @ No Guard metagames, such as Anti-Blissey @ Soft Boiled metagames.

If this is not a case of those, and you're facing someone in an 1-on-1 battle, then go Dynamicpunch'em all.

Guts

Accurately enough, this ability has gained a nick as the Facader, and now that you got Toxic Orb, you don't need them to poison you, so you can deal horrendous damage with a 140 Base Power move with 1.5 times your actual power in no time.

Note: If you got a Toxic Orb, I suggest to get rid of Fling in favour of Facade, and teaching Machamp Cross Chop instead of Close Combat would be an option too.

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Mon May 28, 2007 3:40 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

The only issue I see with No Armor is a fast pokemon with a 1HKO move. Granted, this is uncommon, so, it shouldn't be an issue. And, for the Guts move set, I would agree with what was previously stated. Toxic Orb + Guts + Facade.

Mon May 28, 2007 3:56 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I like the idea of Toxic Orb + Facade + Guts, but then, is it worth it to ditch my Psychic-trumping move? The reason I liked my original moveset is because it can get rid of most anything with a type advantage.

Mon May 28, 2007 4:06 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

at the same time, Machamp is slower than your typical Psychic type (Which has High speed and Sp. Atk., but, crap other stats). So, you see Alakazam/Xatu/Guardevoir, and, are probably better off switching into a Dark /Steel Type.

Mon May 28, 2007 4:21 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Is the Toxic Orb an item that you can only win with BP? Because if so, *UGH*. And if so, is there any other suggestion as to how to easily utilize the Guts ability? (I think I'm going to train two different Machamps. :P)

Mon May 28, 2007 7:31 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I think that you should go with No Armor, because it really helps with moves like Dynamicpunch, even if your opponet can do the same.

Mon May 28, 2007 8:14 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]