It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:24 pm



Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 What's wrong with my team? 
Author Message
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:56 pm
Posts: 71
When I go to the Elite 4 to battle them again it's a lot harder to win. I used to blow right through them but the last time I challenged them (yesterday) I got knocked out! That hasn't happened since I tried to beat them the first time! I don't know if it's the way I'm battling or the pokemon I'm using. I used to bring 2 weak pokemon to train them while I battled the Elite 4 but yesterday I brought just one swablu to train. My team is

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
Tackle Earthquake Frenzy plant Synthesis
285 HP, 214 ATK, 180 DEF, 235 SP ATK, 236 SP DEF, 246 SPD

LVL 98 Mewtwo Sassy
Swift Future sight Facade Psychic
350 HP, 256 ATK, 197 DEF, 329 SP ATK, 245 SP DEF, 286 SPD


LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
Tackle Earthquake Solarbeam Frenzy plant
285 HP, 214 ATK, 180 DEF, 235 SP ATK, 236 SP DEF, 246 SPD

LVL 80 Kyogre Lax
Hydro pump Rest Sheer cold Water spout
284 HP, 199 ATK, 194 DEF, 290 SP ATK, 225 SP DEF, 173 SPD

I've always been able to beat the Elite 4 with this team and I'd have 2 pokemon being trained. The only difference I can think of is the absence of Max potions and Revives. Is there anything wrong with the team or has my battling style changed? Do I need different moves or need to think things through better? I have no idea why I got BEAT by the Elite 4. That hasn't happened in YEARS. Please help!!

_________________
...


Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:13 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:46 pm
Posts: 1241
Your movesets are highly questionable. I suggest you look at the main site for some better movesets.

_________________
Need homework help? Image Image

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"


Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!


Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:25 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:56 pm
Posts: 71
Sion9 wrote:
Your movesets are highly questionable. I suggest you look at the main site for some better movesets.


They've always kicked butt before... What do you suggest?

Edit: I just beat the Elite 4 but when I finished I was left with a LVL 80 kyogre with full HP and some missing PPs and a LVL 100 venusaur with 16 HP and some missing PPs. The kyogre beat the champion pretty single-handed. He was only used against the champion. Venusaur was used throughout the Elite 4.

Edit 2: I'll try to fix up my pokemon with better moves. They've had those moves forever. I have plenty of good movesets in my head but they don't really have an affect on pokemon I'm not trying to power up (level up, stat boost, etc.). It's the way my brain works. It all makes perfect sense to me but if someone else spied on my thoughts they wouldn't understand a thing. :) Friggin' ADHD :D . ADHD isn't half as bad as people think.

_________________
...


Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:46 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:46 pm
Posts: 1241
Your level advantage should allow you to beat the Elite Four. However, look here for Venusaur movesets, and then type in the species of your other pokemon. I highly recommend you use more standard sets.

_________________
Need homework help? Image Image

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"


Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!


Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:25 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:56 pm
Posts: 71
Sion9 wrote:
Your level advantage should allow you to beat the Elite Four. However, look here for Venusaur movesets, and then type in the species of your other pokemon. I highly recommend you use more standard sets.

:| Maybe if I thought differently I would pick those up right away... A moveset I would pick would be like

Venusaur Miracle seed
Synthesis Earthquake Frenzy plant Razor leaf/Sludge bomb

I prefer a to have a nice variety of attacks and have a recovery/defensive/healing move as backup.

_________________
...


Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:39 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:46 pm
Posts: 1241
Pokemaniac1237 wrote:

Venusaur @ Miracle seed Type boostimg items fail in 3rd generation. Use Leftovers.
Synthesis
Earthquake
Frenzy plant Don't use Hyper Beams, you have to sit out a turn. Sleep Powder or Leech Seed.
Razor leaf/Sludge bomb Giga Drain > Razor Leaf

I prefer a to have a nice variety of attacks and have a recovery/defensive/healing move as backup.

You can use whatever you like on an in-game team, but those are some of the best sets for Venusaur competitively. Venusaur is a more defensive pokemon though, and benefits from moves such as Leech Seed and Sleep Powder when fighting opponents of equal level.

_________________
Need homework help? Image Image

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"


Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!


Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:14 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:56 pm
Posts: 71
Sion9 wrote:
Pokemaniac1237 wrote:

Venusaur @ Miracle seed Type boostimg items fail in 3rd generation. Use Leftovers. Then why do I have synthesis?
Synthesis
Earthquake
Frenzy plant Don't use Hyper Beams, you have to sit out a turn. Sleep Powder or Leech Seed. What I do is use that move, then switch out. Or it could be used as a last resort.
Razor leaf/Sludge bomb Giga Drain > Razor Leaf What's wrong with sludge bomb? It could poison them, has decent accuracy, and it gives some diversity.

I prefer a to have a nice variety of attacks and have a recovery/defensive/healing move as backup.

You can use whatever you like on an in-game team, but those are some of the best sets for Venusaur competitively. Venusaur is a more defensive pokemon though, and benefits from moves such as Leech Seed and Sleep Powder when fighting opponents of equal level.

_________________
...


Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:11 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:46 pm
Posts: 1241
Pokemaniac1237 wrote:
Sion9 wrote:
Type boosting items fail in 3rd generation. Use Leftovers.
Then why do I have synthesis?

Leftovers is for a small recovery each turn. venusaur is not fast enough to be able to outspeed an opponent and Synthesis - that HP from Leftovers may save you. Besides, items like Miracle Seed are useless in 3rd gen. 1.1x attack only with Grass moves.

Pokemaniac1237 wrote:
Sion9 wrote:
Don't use Hyper Beams, you have to sit out a turn. Sleep Powder or Leech Seed.
What I do is use that move, then switch out. Or it could be used as a last resort.

I suppose if you are playing with Switch mode on you can switch out. In competitive battles, you cannot switch after KOing an opponent with Hyper Beam


Pokemaniac1237 wrote:
Sion9 wrote:
Giga Drain > Razor Leaf
What's wrong with sludge bomb? It could poison them, has decent accuracy, and it gives some diversity.

I was commenting on your use of Razor Leaf as an option over Sludge Bomb, not on whether to use Sludge Bomb. If you want to use Razor Leaf, use Giga Drain instead. There's nothing wrong with using Sludge Bomb.

_________________
Need homework help? Image Image

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"


Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!


Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:56 pm
Posts: 71
Okay. You win :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Anyone else have any movesets/suggestions? And I've gotten used to my team again.

_________________
...


Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:53 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:37 pm
Posts: 216
Location: God knows where i am.
Pokemaniac1237 wrote:
When I go to the Elite 4 to battle them again it's a lot harder to win. I used to blow right through them but the last time I challenged them (yesterday) I got knocked out! That hasn't happened since I tried to beat them the first time! I don't know if it's the way I'm battling or the pokemon I'm using. I used to bring 2 weak pokemon to train them while I battled the Elite 4 but yesterday I brought just one swablu to train. My team is

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
Tackle Earthquake Frenzy plant Synthesis
285 HP, 214 ATK, 180 DEF, 235 SP ATK, 236 SP DEF, 246 SPD
Tackle?!! At level 100! :O, well... Sion9's pretty much clued Venusaur up for you, so i wont bother

LVL 98 Mewtwo Sassy
Swift Future sight Facade Psychic
350 HP, 256 ATK, 197 DEF, 329 SP ATK, 245 SP DEF, 286 SPD
No Thunderbolt? Calm Mind or Recover? Flamethrower nor Ice Beam? I'd say keep Psychic, teach it Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Calm Mind

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
Tackle Earthquake Solarbeam Frenzy plant
285 HP, 214 ATK, 180 DEF, 235 SP ATK, 236 SP DEF, 246 SPD
:o Cloned hah xD, its ok i do it all the time lol

LVL 80 Kyogre Lax
Hydro pump Rest Sheer cold Water spout
284 HP, 199 ATK, 194 DEF, 290 SP ATK, 225 SP DEF, 173 SPD
:o Teach it Surf, Ice beam and Thunder, as for the final move i personally would use either Calm Mind or Earthquake


Only thing about what i've said is that both Kyogre and Mewtwo will have two attacks of the same typing. :/

_________________
Avatar made by Afonso


Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:05 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:01 am
Posts: 274
Torkoal power wrote:
Pokemaniac1237 wrote:
When I go to the Elite 4 to battle them again it's a lot harder to win. I used to blow right through them but the last time I challenged them (yesterday) I got knocked out! That hasn't happened since I tried to beat them the first time! I don't know if it's the way I'm battling or the pokemon I'm using. I used to bring 2 weak pokemon to train them while I battled the Elite 4 but yesterday I brought just one swablu to train. My team is

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
Tackle Earthquake Frenzy plant Synthesis
285 HP, 214 ATK, 180 DEF, 235 SP ATK, 236 SP DEF, 246 SPD
Tackle?!! At level 100! :O, well... Sion9's pretty much clued Venusaur up for you, so i wont bother

LVL 98 Mewtwo Sassy
Swift Future sight Facade Psychic
350 HP, 256 ATK, 197 DEF, 329 SP ATK, 245 SP DEF, 286 SPD
No Thunderbolt? Calm Mind or Recover? Flamethrower nor Ice Beam? I'd say keep Psychic, teach it Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Calm Mind

LVL 100 Venusaur Hasty
Tackle Earthquake Solarbeam Frenzy plant
285 HP, 214 ATK, 180 DEF, 235 SP ATK, 236 SP DEF, 246 SPD
:o Cloned hah xD, its ok i do it all the time lol

LVL 80 Kyogre Lax
Hydro pump Rest Sheer cold Water spout
284 HP, 199 ATK, 194 DEF, 290 SP ATK, 225 SP DEF, 173 SPD
:o Teach it Surf, Ice beam and Thunder, as for the final move i personally would use either Calm Mind or Earthquake


Only thing about what i've said is that both Kyogre and Mewtwo will have two attacks of the same typing. :/

In ingame, actually you can use Water Spout for quick killing a full health. Kyogre is no thing to waste EQ TMs. (Unless you clone in E as I do)

_________________
Image
By St. Jimmy.

If you have any problems with breeding, Egg moves, IV:s or EV:s, you can ask me. Feel free to ask other things related to competive battling.


Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:25 am
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:56 pm
Posts: 71
This is enough. Don't need any more. My brain's melting. That's a lot of melting brain. :D

_________________
...


Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:15 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.