It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:10 pm



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Do You Exist? 

I question your exsistence. Do you EXIST?
Yes, I think I do. 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
I'm not entirely sure... 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
I am a figment of your imagination, CuteKirlia. 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
"I think, therefore I am." 43%  43%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 28

 Do You Exist? 
Author Message
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm
Posts: 454
Location: Hiding under my rock, writing something new.
I just discovered a funny philosophy I think was called "Soloquisim". Basically, it states that perhaps a person is the only person in the universe, and everyone else is a figment of their imagination. That everything is just a dream.

Prove to me that you exist, and that I have not dreamt this whole reality up. If you manage, I shall declare you a great master of philosophy.
I warn you, it's harder than you might think. You might just end up with a circular reasoning, which is futile denial of this philosophy.

_________________
-The Cutest Kirlia
Image

Forest of Secrets is finished! Time to do homework and polish!
Soon, there should be a sequel; River of Divides.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711


Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:05 pm
Posts: 229
Location: The cellar
I know from my POV I exist
But then that questions the sheer question itself, who is the real person anyway?

It could be you and im just a background character in your life
Or it could be me and you're a background character in mine

Or we could both be BG characters in someone we dont even know

_________________
My reach is noble. My power is pure. My cause is noble. My tower secure.

Image

Come watch as DNA dies Night one! Wearwolf 22 starts soon!


Black Friend Code --- 5158 2229 2547

THE DEAD
{rattata} - Rat Acttack
{pidgey} - Falkner


Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:51 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:00 pm
Posts: 942
Location: I am Error.
Oh, now this is a philosophy? Well, I have thought of this when I was a kid.

But of course, there is simply no way to know, you can be made from my imagination as much as I can be from your. Do we see exactly the same things, the same colors? Do we hear the same way? There is simply no way to know.

Personally, I know that I exist, but I guess your imagination is not saying the truth then.

But of course, there is one thing that is for sure. "I think, therefore I am Error." (If you see the reference...)

_________________
Still searching for shiny Rapidash, hatched 1000 eggs!
Image
Thanks DragoBoy for this awesome sig and Mektar for the astonishing avatar!!!


Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 687
Location: Out of my brain on the 5:15
"It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination." -Douglas Adams

_________________
Image


Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:58 am
Posts: 236
Location: Probably in an uncomfortable location, asleep.
Serpentsounds wrote:
"It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination." -Douglas Adams

"...It actually makes sense."

_________________
Image
The Fail Forums: A place where stuff happens most days.


Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:05 pm
Posts: 229
Location: The cellar
Serpentsounds wrote:
"It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination." -Douglas Adams


Sounds like a new religion to me
I like to describe myself as believing in everything, that there is some type of being controlling everyday things
And that im thankfull for them, so every time something goes in my favor I pinch my index finger and thumb together is a shape of a "B" (It was the "Im okay" sign) and say "Thank you based god" for the assumption that there is a god

Or when im in marching band I pray that the bass drums are in time and say "Thank you Bass God!"
My Bass god thing has spread like a wildfire in my school
the Based god thing, not so much

_________________
My reach is noble. My power is pure. My cause is noble. My tower secure.

Image

Come watch as DNA dies Night one! Wearwolf 22 starts soon!


Black Friend Code --- 5158 2229 2547

THE DEAD
{rattata} - Rat Acttack
{pidgey} - Falkner


Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:21 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:58 am
Posts: 236
Location: Probably in an uncomfortable location, asleep.
I would like to retract my previous statement. If there are an infinite number of worlds, then an infinite number of them would be [insert any describing phrase here], if [describing phrase] is physically possible. There's no place for finite in infinity if it's all randomly occurring (Personally I like to think it isn't random but that's just, like, my religion, man). That is, unless my brain is wrong, which it frequently is. Lots of ifs, but I think I might have explained it almost understandably.

SanguinaryScientist wrote:
Or when im in marching band I pray that the bass drums are in time and say "Thank you Bass God!"
My Bass god thing has spread like a wildfire in my school
the Based god thing, not so much

As a bass drum, I'm almost always on time.

_________________
Image
The Fail Forums: A place where stuff happens most days.


Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:01 pm
Posts: 2175
Location: In your house, nunchuking all of your shit.
so what of sexual relationships? surely there is a difference between self-sex and actual sex in this philosophy.
if there isn't then eww, no thanks

_________________
"As I look up from the ground
I see darkness all around
And I'm lost but can be found up in the sky
Goodbye
"


Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:53 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm
Posts: 454
Location: Hiding under my rock, writing something new.
That has nothing to do with this at all, as far as I can tell. If you don't mind Haunted, I'd perfer to keep this topic clean of that stuff. I could probably answer that question, but I'd rather not. Feel free to meditate on that to yourself on your own time.
This just means that a person is the only concious, real being out exsisting. That everyone else is just a figment of their imagination, and doesn't really exsist. Thus, the thought "I am the center of the universe" comes to mind. Litterally, the singular person whom is real is the only thing in the universe. I'm starting to circumlocute here, so I'll stop at that for my explanation.
Serpentsounds wrote:
"It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination." -Douglas Adams

Ah. This quite well describes what I'm trying to say. It also reminds me that I have a lot of fantasy worlds I dream of. Who's to say this world isn't a dream either?

_________________
-The Cutest Kirlia
Image

Forest of Secrets is finished! Time to do homework and polish!
Soon, there should be a sequel; River of Divides.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711


Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:17 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:58 am
Posts: 236
Location: Probably in an uncomfortable location, asleep.
Serpentsounds wrote:
"It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination." -Douglas Adams

Why do my opinions change so fast? Here's what I think about this tonight:
It's sounds funny/mildy interesting, but after thinking about it, that's all it is. Just something that's fun to think about for a while. The average population of all the planets might be infinitesimally small, but it's not zero. If it was, even if nobody else existed, that would mean you didn't exist, either, and we know that's not true.

I think I'm done changing my opinion but I thought that last time, too.

_________________
Image
The Fail Forums: A place where stuff happens most days.


Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 687
Location: Out of my brain on the 5:15
That quote is from a fiction novel and its intentions are purely comedic. No need to think too hard about it :P

An on-topic contribution:
I think everyone has thought this to themselves at one point or another. If everything else really was part of your imagination, though, then everything that you hear and even what you haven't heard is 100% your own design. You must think awfully highly of yourself. ;)

A related postulate I used to ponder was that every other person in the world was in a secret group/had some secret knowledge that they were keeping from me. And of course, they behaved as if nothing was amiss, so I would never suspect a thing (little did they know, I was on to them). This is equally silly but perhaps even harder to disprove.

_________________
Image


Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:08 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:06 pm
Posts: 46
Location: In a world filled with chaos...
*sigh* My most commonly thought question. Do I exist? I believe that I do but in some sort of eventual way that I do. But then again if I think to hard I end up scaring myself somehow so ill stop there I guess.

_________________
The cake is a lie , War. War never changes.Image


Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:57 am
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:58 am
Posts: 236
Location: Probably in an uncomfortable location, asleep.
Serpentsounds wrote:
That quote is from a fiction novel and its intentions are purely comedic. No need to think too hard about it :P

Good, I think I was about to break my brain.

Serpentsounds wrote:
A related postulate I used to ponder was that every other person in the world was in a secret group/had some secret knowledge that they were keeping from me. And of course, they behaved as if nothing was amiss, so I would never suspect a thing (little did they know, I was on to them). This is equally silly but perhaps even harder to disprove.

It's all fun and games until you start torturing people and/or threatening to destroy the world.

_________________
Image
The Fail Forums: A place where stuff happens most days.


Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:08 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:01 pm
Posts: 2175
Location: In your house, nunchuking all of your shit.
Tbh, I bring up a breaking point to this philosophy. If it cannot account for that, or if it disregards my thoughts on it, then it is obviously false. Also, I'm not believing it because if it is true, and everyone is a figment of your imagination, then the world is a bigger mindf**k then it already is. Inception could do well in explaining this.

In fact, Inception does explain it. If the world is your imagination, then how come you cannot simply wish away all of your problems? How come you cannot just crush your enemies, or rather, not have enemies?

_________________
"As I look up from the ground
I see darkness all around
And I'm lost but can be found up in the sky
Goodbye
"


Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:06 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:58 am
Posts: 236
Location: Probably in an uncomfortable location, asleep.
Haunted Water wrote:
Tbh, I bring up a breaking point to this philosophy. If it cannot account for that, or if it disregards my thoughts on it, then it is obviously false. Also, I'm not believing it because if it is true, and everyone is a figment of your imagination, then the world is a bigger mindf**k then it already is. Inception could do well in explaining this.

In fact, Inception does explain it. If the world is your imagination, then how come you cannot simply wish away all of your problems? How come you cannot just crush your enemies, or rather, not have enemies?

Contrast? You can't appreciate anything without experiencing it's opposite.

_________________
Image
The Fail Forums: A place where stuff happens most days.


Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 2:02 pm
Posts: 957
Location: Tealand
It is my understanding that all people exist, but only as figments of Haruhi's fickle imagination.

_________________
Everyone wants my Super Rod.


Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:29 pm
Profile
I got -10200 in Jeopardy
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:31 pm
Posts: 713
Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
Its easy to know if someone else exists. Just simply eat their soul... Although, they won't exist after that.

_________________
Thanks to Dare234 for the Awesome Banner.
Image
{charmander} and {squirtle} and {sneasel} and {buizel} and {honchkrow} and {geodude} rock. (Get it?)
PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN


So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.


Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:19 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:01 pm
Posts: 2175
Location: In your house, nunchuking all of your shit.
The common incurable diseases also prove this false. Existence is something that can be questioned, but not substituted. As in, I've never really heard about this philosophy until CuteKirlia mentioned. If I deny it's existence, it becomes obsolete, as I deny it a place in my thoughts, which, in turn, denies it's possibility to be true because it has no place to be part of my imagination. If all of you are projections and figments of my imagination, not only am I crazier than I previously thought, but then this creates a paradox. CuteKirlia could never have mentioned soloquism because it would have no means of existing in my mind and imagination beforehand, thus never existing in anybody's thoughts. Even if somebody tried to think about it, they could not because I, the one who let's them exist, would not allow it.

/me drops mic.

_________________
"As I look up from the ground
I see darkness all around
And I'm lost but can be found up in the sky
Goodbye
"


Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:55 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:10 am
Posts: 1048
Location: In the shadows, watching over the world
There is simply no way for me to prove that I exist... But I do. Perhaps merely the fact that your figments of imagination answer back in such a question is proof that they're real. Or, biologically speaking, if you've been dreaming for this long, how has your body survived in a semi-conscious state?

_________________
The chill of death, the heart of a metalhead. A lone rebel.
Image
I'm a competitive battler, ask me if you have any questions on competitive battling or want advice on Ubers teambuilding.
Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
You spit on mercy? Then you will have NONE. You want carnage?! You will get more blood than you EVER bargained for!


Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:58 am
Posts: 236
Location: Probably in an uncomfortable location, asleep.
ChillBill wrote:
There is simply no way for me to prove that I exist... But I do. Perhaps merely the fact that your figments of imagination answer back in such a question is proof that they're real.

Doubt it. In a dream, they're all figments of your imagination, but if you asked them, they'd say they're real most of the time.

ChillBill wrote:
Or, biologically speaking, if you've been dreaming for this long, how has your body survived in a semi-conscious state?

If it's all an illusion then there's no reason we should accept anything here as true. You might not need food, air, water, whatever in the real world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie
If everyone else is a zombie, there's no way to tell. The best you can do is prove your own existence to yourself, but it's not like anyone else can be sure of it, though.

_________________
Image
The Fail Forums: A place where stuff happens most days.


Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:10 am
Posts: 1048
Location: In the shadows, watching over the world
Different55 wrote:
Doubt it. In a dream, they're all figments of your imagination, but if you asked them, they'd say they're real most of the time.

Obviously, but in a dream you control the world. The moment you realize it your imagination stops answering back and you either accept your dream state or wake up. So, possibly the fact that no matter how hard we try we never seem to have total control of our lives is the proof.

_________________
The chill of death, the heart of a metalhead. A lone rebel.
Image
I'm a competitive battler, ask me if you have any questions on competitive battling or want advice on Ubers teambuilding.
Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
You spit on mercy? Then you will have NONE. You want carnage?! You will get more blood than you EVER bargained for!


Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm
Posts: 454
Location: Hiding under my rock, writing something new.
ChillBill wrote:
Obviously, but in a dream you control the world. The moment you realize it your imagination stops answering back and you either accept your dream state or wake up. So, possibly the fact that no matter how hard we try we never seem to have total control of our lives is the proof.

That's actually a pretty good point. Sometime, when I dream, I realize that I'm dreaming. "Wait a minute, why am I at a grocery store? And why does everyone ride dragons instead of cars?" And then I'm like, "Oh, this is a dream."
Then, say there's something I dislike about the dream. "Ugh, my dragon is a really lame brown dragon. He can't even fly right." Thus, decide to I manipulate my dream so it pleases me. For example, I imagine that there's an old ladie's house right down the block, and she's willing to trade her awesome dragon egg for my lame-o dragon for some reason (A retirement companion perhaps?). I then insert this figment of imagination into the realm, and get a better in-dream reality. Real life doesn't work like that. And of course, real life doesn't wake me up the instant I hatch my egg...
[/color]

_________________
-The Cutest Kirlia
Image

Forest of Secrets is finished! Time to do homework and polish!
Soon, there should be a sequel; River of Divides.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711


Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:46 pm
Profile
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: clegavel
Serpentsounds ilu for quoting The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Soloquism, or however you spell it, just sounds like someone took the idea of differing perceptions between people, and pushed it to an illogical extreme.
"You are real only to you and everything else is imaginary"? What are you, a time traveler from the 1960s?

The very idea in and of itself is laughable. It's the product of taking an idea to an extreme that doesn't even really apply. In essence...it's fundamentally flawed.

_________________
In the process of packing up and leaving Psypoke for another indefinite hiatus.
Reason? I quit Pokemon in September and Gen 6 is disgusting.

In the meantime, here's some links to YouTube channels I like for their music:
Saturos02 (Golden Sun music on synthesizer)
331Erock (Electric guitar remixes)
SmoothMcGroove (A cappella music)
YuGiOh4RealMen (Them Jugimanz)

Bye guys, I loved all of you. ...except for you.


Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:56 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm
Posts: 454
Location: Hiding under my rock, writing something new.
...

I looked it up again, it's actually spelled Solipism, not Soloquism. Oops, now I feel kind of dumb...

It's a real philosophy. Some Greek scholar or some scholar of SOME kind decide that he would doubt everything he could, until he found some indoubtable truth, which he would then work upwards upon. Not sure where he aimed to work upwards to though.
Anyway, he finally decided that he couldn't doubt that he was thinking. His initial questioning of his own exsistance gave him the idea, "I think, therefore I am." But, one notes that he was using circular reasoning, also known as begging the question. Litterally, this sentiment is to be interpreted as "I am, therefore I am." So in a way, he didn't prove anything at all. For a serious scholar, that's a dumb thing to do. To the point, this is somehow ties into how the whole idea of solipism was created. Somehow, but I have forgotten the details.
Ach, my poor brain is leaking...

_________________
-The Cutest Kirlia
Image

Forest of Secrets is finished! Time to do homework and polish!
Soon, there should be a sequel; River of Divides.

Pokemon Y FC; 0989-2247-7711


Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:13 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 am
Posts: 690
Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Oof, I saw something on this months ago, and promptly expelled it from my mind because it hurt too much. But... I'll give it another try.

Solipsism proves itself wrong. ((I have no idea how to phrase what I'm about to say without sounding like a moron, so please bear with me)) It works on a personal basis, where the person who believes the theory becomes the sole member of reality. Therefore, when you believe the theory, you theoretically become the real one, while the surrounding universe is all imagination. At the same time, however, when I believe the theory, the same happens--I become the only existing thing. You are now my imagination.
The tricky part is, solipsism doesn't account for this. It is, as I said, a personal theory. When multiple people state that solipsism is true, it immediately is proven false. How can two people both be the only person in existence? As solipsism would have you believe, the individuals, as they each see it, are both the only real person. Person A is positive that Person B is imagined, while Person B believes the same of Person A. Solipsism, and I will stress this, does not account for a detached point of view. It cannot explain what is true and what is imagined as an outside observer to multiple people who all take it for the truth.

I realize that my explanation probably isn't too clear to whoever isn't me, so I'll probably re-elaborate on it later.

_________________
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." -Abraham Lincoln
"You can't argue with all the fools in the world- it's best to let them have their way and trick them while they're not looking." -Brom
Credit to Jester for the avatar!


Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:01 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/acm/acm_apc.php on line 68: apc_store(): Potential cache slam averted for key '57a1085f_global'