It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 School Speech - Technology 
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
So my brother has a speech due tomorrow about how technology is making life too complicated. He is in year 8 and hes worried his speech isnt good enough.

Could you guys tell me what you think?

Technology is making life too complicated. Internet, texting and machines are ruling our lives. Good Morning/Afternoon fellow students and -----------. Today I will explain how technology has made our lives too complicated.
In today’s modern civilisation, almost everyone has access to internet and television. Its just so tempting that people succumb to its effects, making our lives more antisocial and complicated. Even 20 years ago, we had nothing we have now. Life was difficult, but whose to say that it wasn’t better. It wasn’t as complicated and it was more social. The only real difference from now and then, is technology. Our era is ruled by it, and as time goes by, it becomes more powerful.

Today, the internet has everything you need. You can shop, browse, have a laugh, research, talk, watch, listen and read. But is it really as simple as we think? It isn’t. With over a few million to a few billion pages on almost every single thing that has ever existed, can you really find exactly what you are looking for? Every page is different, every website is different. If you are looking for a snippet of information, what are the chances you will find it? There is also the chance that what you are looking for is wrong, or you are going about it the wrong way.

Human interaction isn’t what it should be. Today, we all text and type, never actually hearing the voice of another. Actually having a conversation is simpler then texting something along the lines of “OMG, ASAYGT, TMB ASAP. We need to talk IRL.” Do any of you actually know what that means. Here is a translation: “Oh my god, as soon as you get this, text me back as soon as possible. We need to talk in real life.” These two sentences are so complicated that I actually had to look up what every single acronym meant. Even texting is more complicated than it needs to be.

Did you know, that only a few months ago, cars were invented that actually park themselves, hand free. Although this sounds simple, it takes away opportunity for people to think for themselves, slowly turning humans into mindless drones, listening to a machine. Slowly, technology is ruling us, taking everything we do, and letting a machine do it, like GPS’s for example. A GPS is used to help guide people to their destination. This makes people less aware of their surroundings. They just listen to a machine and do what it says.

What happens when technology turns? What happens when this all becomes obsolete and we’re left to do it on our own? We don’t, we become so used to what was before that we try to stick with it. We are left to fend as mindless drones that let machines do everything.

GPS’s, reverse sensors, internet, text messaging, online shopping, google and Siri. All of these things were intended to make our lives easier and simpler so why is it that we are busier than ever, more rushed, stressed and have less time to get things done than ever before?

PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN

So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:54 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

James86134 wrote:
So my brother has a speech due tomorrow about how technology is making life too complicated. He is in year 8 and hes worried his speech isnt good enough.

Could you guys tell me what you think?

Technology is making life too complicated. Internet, texting and machines are ruling our lives. Good Morning/Afternoon fellow students and -----------. Never address the people you're reading it to Today I will explain how technology has made our lives too complicated.
In today’s modern civilisationcivilization, almost everyone has access to internet and television. Its just so tempting that people succumb to its effects, making our lives more antisocial and complicated. Even 20 years ago, we had nothing we have now. Life was difficult, but whose to say that it wasn’t better. It wasn’t as complicated and it was more social. The only real difference from now and then, is technology. Our era is ruled by it, and as time goes by, it becomes more powerful Lets just assume that the Bold sentence didnt have "and as time goes by", When writing like that it describes the previous statement. As is, you could be able to take "as time goes by" complicatedly OUT of the sentence and it should still make sence, but the sentence now reads "Our era is ruled by it it becomes more powerful" .

Today, the internet has everything you need. you can replace the period with a colon, since you're listing things you can do on the internet You can shop, browse, have a laugh, research, talk, watch, listen and read. But is it really as simple as we think? It isn’t.WHAT WAS HE THINKING WITH THAT SENTENCE With over a few million to a few billion pages on almost every single thing that has ever existed, can you really find exactly what you are looking for? Every page is different, every website is different. If you are looking for a snippet of information, what are the chances you will find it? There is also the chance that what you are looking for is wrong, or you are going about it the wrong way.

Human interaction isn’t what it should be. Today, we all text and type,As I said before, if you remove the describing statement inside the commas, the sentence should still make sence. But in this case it doesent never actually hearing the voice of another. ActuallyEither put a comma there, or take out the whole word "Actually" alltogerther having a conversation is simpler then texting something along the lines of “OMG, ASAYGT, TMB ASAP. We need to talk IRL.” Do any of you actually know what that meansI STRONGLY would advise to never EVER use questions addressing the reader, this will degrade the essay. And actual professors HATE question. Here is a translation: “Oh my god, as soon as you get this, text me back as soon as possible. We need to talk in real life.” These two sentences are so complicated that I actually had to look up what every single acronym meant. Even texting is more complicated than it needs to be.

Did you know, that only a few months ago, cars were invented that actually park themselves,remove the comma hand free. Although this sounds simple, it takes away opportunity for people to think for themselves, slowly turning humans into mindless drones, listening to a machine.Commas! commas everywhere! Slowly, technology is ruling us, taking everything we do, and letting a machine do it, like GPS’s for example.Whats with him and commas?! Only one is needed in a sentence at a time, unless describing the noun or addressing a person (I.E the Doctor, Sam) A GPS is used to help guide people to their destination. This makes people less aware of their surroundings. They just listen to a machine and do what it says.

What happens when technology turns? What happens when this all becomes obsolete and we’re left to do it on our own? [color=red]We don’t,
What? the "We dont" makes no sense whatsoever we become so used to what was before that we try to stick with it. We are left to fend as mindless drones that let machines do everything.

GPS’s, reverse sensors, internet, text messaging, online shopping, google and Siri. All of these things were intended to make our lives easier and simpler so why is it that we are busier than ever, more rushed, stressed and have less time to get things done than ever before?questions again....

EDIT
....... I didnt realize it was a speech, Thought it was an essay someone read
Nevertheless Pay attention to the grammar issues

Black Friend Code --- 5158 2229 2547

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:12 pm
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Location: Obsessing over my paper cranes (props to whoever gets this reference, no one will)
I actually showed him this and he goes straight to the computer and starts to change it. He keeps remind himself about the commas. Its actually a bit funny to see him continually mutter to himself "commas, commas everywhere".

Thank you Sanguinary, for giving me a laugh. and thanks for helping him

PLANNING ON GETTING 1000 POSTS BEFORE OCTOBER 1ST. HELP ME BY MAKING NEW THREADS THAT I CAN SPAM IN

So, this forum just got a revamp, its now interesting, we have a few members, we have some games, we're about to open a Forum Shopping Center to buy Pokemon and Items... (If we get store clerks). We have a WEREWOLF game, and I know how much Psypoke likes Werewolf, so If you're itching to play a shorter game than usual, sign up.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:36 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

No problem, but since its a speech and not an essay I dont think he has to rewrite it since no-one is actually going to READ it, instead of people HEARING it
So the thing about questions should be taken out. They're plenty of good speeches that have questions
And addressing the audience would be a good idea too since he's talking to them

Black Friend Code --- 5158 2229 2547

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:27 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Maybe add an attention getter as his first sentence? Something to draw the audience in. Otherwise I think it's fine :)

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:15 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

haleigh, I think the entire topic is an attention grabber.
I had to make a persuasive essay in eighth grade, and it was similar to this, only though about how much affect TV has on society and humans alone, and it was three pages and best in class. Now, I look back and facepalm at it.

EDIT: Also, where the hell is our polymer-named friend with his grammar help?

Goodbye
"

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:00 am
I got -10200 in Jeopardy

Haunted, my brother already handed it in... What else is he going to change?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]