It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Terrible Performances 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't know how many of you out there are musicians, but I just played a concetino for somethin or another, some minor gig and I was performing my piece memorized for the first time, I had it solid but I had a memory slip near the end :/ I'm trying not to beat myself up too much about it, but it was just... bad :oops: any'o you guys had a bad gig? I have trouble bouncing back after I humiliate myself... meh :frustrated:

Fire Water Earth Wind

Fri May 18, 2012 6:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

One time, I was the only person who had to play bells, and the lights were hot, so I played too loud and the rest of the band hated me for it. Then, I had to switch to drums, like a practice pad, and cae in late and started in the wrong spot. I hated that soo much.

Goodbye
"

Fri May 18, 2012 7:40 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yaaaa I know the feeling all too well, I'm beatin mehself up...

Fire Water Earth Wind

Sat May 19, 2012 10:12 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, whatever you do, don't show it. Mistakes happen to everybody (musicians or otherwise), so if the audience sees you grimace, or make some face, or stiffen, or give some clue, then they'll know that you aren't doing something right. But honestly, the audience won't have a clue, because they don't (usually) have the music in front of them. And the best thing about music audiences, they are extremely understanding, especially if there are other musicians in the audience (hint: there are!). So don't worry about it, and move on to the next one. If you are so motivated, use that as inspiration to keep practicing well so you won't do it again next time.

From here, the main point is your attitude. Get past it and you will succeed. Or get hung up on it and consistently drain your will. That is your choice. Memorization can be tricky, but repetition is key. The other thing you have to think about is a plan in case you don't remember something, because you never know when that will happen.

The professionals don't use it often, but they always have a backup plan. Use the music to look for a place you will hit, spot-on, every single time you play it, and when the memory lapse occurs, go back there. Especially as a soloist, that tends to work. But you must make sure you alert the correct people to your plans. That would be either an accompanist, or the conductor, or whoever is helping with your piece (educator, adjudicator, etc.)

Don't give up on it because you had one bad gig. They happen to everybody, the important part is how you grow from it.

Hope this helps.

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;) 8-)

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Sat May 19, 2012 4:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I don't play an instrument anymore, but I know how it feels to screw up in public. The key is to not care what other people think of you and just move on with your life.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sat May 19, 2012 5:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I've performed on piano quite a few times, and yeah the couple of first times are quite daunting, but the more I play the more confident I get, and I can play to a point now where I can pass off my mistakes as little intended variations. You'll find most of the audience don't know better anyway, and generally if I'm very nervous about performing I try to slip on an apathetic persona where I try not to really care. I play best when my mentality is "you're here because you want to hear -me- play," as opposed to "oh damn all these people are going to judge me."

Fortunately I've never suffered from a memory blank before, except one time I was singing (I can't sing by the way...) I sang a verse twice, but in essence no one really cared anyway.

My advice is don't let these early mistakes bother you! Playing for people is very different to playing at home. AEP is right on the money - say for instance you were at a (non professional small) gig and someone you saw made a massive mistake would you think "Oh that person is terrible they can't play at all?" Of course not! Especially with music being the one thing that everyone wants to know how to do, everyone knows that it takes tremendous skill and most of all dedication to work towards.

Anyway here's my bad slip up: I was playing for a wedding about 2 weeks ago, and I made a massive mistake during the song.. but then I just kept on going like nothing happened. So when the bride and groomed thanked me for playing their ceremony, I told them I was sorry I made a few adjustments to the song, to which they said they didn't notice a thing. I did feel a bit bad knowing that that's going to be replaying on their wedding tapes, but you know you can't really let that get you down. I know I did my best.

Sun May 20, 2012 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

thanks guys! Helps a lot!! :D

Fire Water Earth Wind

Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]