It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:47 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 One Hundred Years!!!! 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yep. The day that we've all I've been waiting for this WHOLE month!
At 2:12am 100 years ago, the Titanic was last seen, above the surface of the water, that is, dipping underneath waves in the Atlantic.
Being one of the biggest loss of life to happen in human history, I believe we should discuss it, I guess.

Goodbye
"

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Samurott wrote:

Being one of the biggest loss of life to happen in human history

Not really. :|

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:51 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yes, it was sad. I loved the movie, it made me cry and I reckon it still would today. Poor Leonardo Dicaprio :(

Other than that I've watched maybe two documentaries. Just goes to show you how the makers of the ship blundered big time and some cool submarine exploration. They just didn't take icebergs into consideration, I guess.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:13 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

You know some people believe(d) that the Titanic is/was just a movie.
Yeah, they're idiots^

The Titanic was built in Ireland (well, Northern Ireland actually, Belfast to be specific. But that's still part of Ireland as a whole) That would have been something to be proud of had it not sunk.

Yeah, I just read an article in the newspaper on this. According to it:
-Black humour warning!: You can get souvenir t-shirts with "it was alright when it left here" on them in Belfast
-The original design had 64 lifeboats, but that took up too much deck space, so they cut the number to 16, the legal number needed. Although another article says 48 and 20 :?
Sparrow wrote:

Samurott wrote:

Not really. :|

Yeah, earthquakes, tsunamis, WWs 1+2 etc. were bigger losses of life, but it's still a tragedy none the less.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:33 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

^This guy^...
Knows his stuff.
Sadly, I do know one person who thinks it was just a movie. Then again, she barely knows anything.
And when I said one of the biggest loss of life, I meant not counting natural disasters.

Goodbye
"

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:35 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm one of the few people who found the movie boring. :/ It's an extremely unpopular opinion, I know.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

o.O I didn't know that! Well... let's just say I only watched a part of the movie, and then one other documentary, and some historical fictions about them :/ That's all... but still. I still think it was really cruel for the company that owned the ship to not have put enough lifeboats onto that thing...

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:33 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

When I was a little kid I had a huge pop-up book strictly on the Titanic and the remains on the sea floor. It had the blue prints and everything. The dark twist was that you pulled one of the tabs and the ship would crack in half, showing how the boat actually sank. Shame I can't find it anywhere at my parent's place -_-

But it's terrible that incident happened with such a large ship instead of a smaller one, less lives would of been lost.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The reason why I'm a big Titanic sinking buff is because my dad is a retired Coast Guard sailor, so I'm into nautical history and **** like that. Although I hate going on boats, and I'm more of a plane person anyways. And you know what's better than it being a smaller boat?
No boat. That way, it couldve never happened.

Goodbye
"

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:17 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Samurott wrote:

Samurott wrote:
And when I said one of the biggest loss of life, I meant not counting natural disasters.

You...have no idea what you're talking about. As usual.

It's not even the worst maritime disaster, much less one of the 'biggest losses of life in human history'. Hell, most wars would easily outrank it.

Honestly, would it kill you to actually research things before you post them? I don't care if you think you're right, research it to make sure.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:58 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Your proof?
Missing. As usual.
I spent my whole childhood life learning about this, dinosaurs, and supernatural stuff. While the latter are not needed, I think you should at least give your meaning as to why you say this?
Sure, wars cause loss of life. Sure, natural disasters cause loss of life. But as far as maritime disasters go, the only two that are close to it are the USS Indianapolis and the attack on the Lustiania, which might even be a bigger loss of life than Titanic.
I'm sure years of research tells me I'm right.
And, no offense FW, but would it kill you to stop trying to find one little mistake I make and blow it out of proportion? You do it a lot.

Goodbye
"

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:13 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

*sigh* You keep bringing this on yourself.

Just in the realm of peacetime maritime disasters:
Quote:
MV Doña Paz (Philippines) – On 20 December 1987, the passenger ferry Doña Paz collided with the oil tanker Vector. The resulting fire and sinking left an estimated 4,341 dead.

SS Kiangya (China) – The Kiangya was a passenger steamship that blew up and sank in the mouth of the Huangpu River 50 mi (80 km) south of Shanghai on 4 December 1948. The suspected cause of the explosion was the Kiangya hitting a mine left behind by the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II. The exact death toll is unknown, however, it is thought that between 2,750 and 3,920 died with 700-1,000 survivors being picked up by other vessels.

SS Mont-Blanc and the Halifax Explosion (Canada) – On 6 December 1917, the city of Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada, was devastated by the huge detonation of the French cargo ship Mont-Blanc, which was fully loaded with wartime explosives, after a collision with the Norwegian ship Imo. The collision happened in "The Narrows" section of Halifax Harbour. About 2,000 people were killed by falling debris, fires or collapsing buildings, over 9,000 people were injured, particularly by flying glass. This explosion is still ranked as the largest accidental explosion of conventional weapons to date.

Le Joola (Senegal) – On 26 September 2002, the overloaded ferry Le Joola capsized in rough seas with an estimated death toll of more than 1,800.

The SS Sultana was a steamboat that exploded and sank on April 27, 1865, in the greatest maritime disaster in U.S. history. Up to 1,800 of the 2,400 passengers died. Three of the Sultana's boilers exploded when the overloaded ship was on the Mississippi River near Memphis, Tennessee. Many of the victims were Union soldiers who had been injured or imprisoned during the Civil War.

Tek Sing (China) A junk struck a reef near Indonesia and sank on 6 February 1822, leaving an estimated 1,600 dead.

RMS Titanic (Great Britain) – A passenger liner and at the time the world's largest ship. On 14 April 1912, during its maiden voyage, the Titanic collided with an iceberg, buckling a part of the hull and mortally wounding the ship and causing her to sink in the early hours of April 15th. In total, only 31.8% of the ship's 2,228 passengers and crew survived, leaving 1,523 dead. This disaster was the catalyst for major reforms in safety for the shipping industry and is unarguably the most famous maritime disaster of all time, being the subject of countless media portrayals.

And the wartime disasters:
Quote:
MV Wilhelm Gustloff (Germany) – The German KdF flagship, constructed by the Blohm & Voss shipyard, sank after being hit by three torpedoes fired by the Soviet submarine S-13 on 30 January 1945, with the loss of over 9,000 lives – the greatest loss of life in maritime history. Most of those killed were civilians, military personnel, and Nazi officials surrounded by the Red Army in East Prussia.

Yamato (Japan) – The largest battleship ever constructed, Yamato was sunk on 7 April 1945 by torpedo planes from the aircraft carrier USS Hornet and others. Only 280 of the Yamato's 2,778-man crew were rescued. This was the greatest loss of life in a single warship in World War II.

Bismarck (Germany) – After being hunted by British forces following the sinking of HMS Hood, the Bismarck was herself sunk three days later on 27 May 1941. Of the 2,200 crewmen aboard, 1,977 sailors lost their lives, 115 survivors.

Scharnhorst (Germany) – Lost in the Battle of North Cape on 26 December 1943, being outgunned by HMS Duke of York, and later finished off by British destroyers; 1,803 killed, 36 survived.

And now for non-natural disaster, non-war, non-maritime disasters:
Quote:
1,549 – Benxihu Colliery explosion, (China, 1942)
16,000 – Bhopal disaster (India, 1984)
4,056 – Chernobyl disaster, Ukraine, April 26, 1986. 56 direct deaths and 4,000 extra cancer deaths.
4,000 – mass panic at air raid shelter, during Japanese bombing of Chongqing, most deaths caused by suffocation (Chongqing, China, 1941)
est. 20,000 dead or wounded – Fidenae amphitheatre collapse, 27AD.
2000+ – Church of the Company Fire (Santiago, Chile, December 8, 1863)
2000 – Theater fire (Kamli, China, 1893)
1670 – Theater fire (Canton, China, May 25, 1845)

It took longer to format that list than to actually look up the information in it.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:23 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

O_o... That's a lot of proof.
OK. I stand corrected. Sorry, FW.

Goodbye
"

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:05 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Cars cause more deaths in one day than the Titanic could take across the ocean anyway [drunk drivers, falling asleep at the wheel, running red lights and rednecks doing stupid stuff.] The Titanic is more of a dramatic story [it was still a tragedy]. Most people just watch the movie anyways so they could have put anything they want in there and half the population of america would believe it. :(

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:43 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Samurott wrote:
O_o... That's a lot of proof.
OK. I stand corrected. Sorry, FW.

Maybe you should do this research yourself instead of asking people to do it for you when they call you on your ****.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:50 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 15 posts ]