It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:24 am



Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Discrimination. 
Author Message
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:58 pm
Posts: 606
Location: California
Magikarps_Beast wrote:
Mektar wrote:
I'm not racist. I'm just 'Smartist' (ie: against stupid people, it's a term I made up). If I happen to dislike someone who is Black, or Cuban, or whatever, It's problably because they are an idiot. I would treat them the same way as white idiots.


It's too bad such a thing isn't allowed to exist in my area, whether you're disliking someone who's black or not because they're just idiotic and ignorant you'll still get in trouble just because they're black. Yay. Recently a lot of people have come from the inner city to our town because it's gotten bad up there... and they just make our town bad. And I think once our town gets rough, everyone who brought it here is going to migrate somewhere else, it's like cancer. (That sounds bad... whatever) I mean, my school board is so easy on them, a friend of mine was called a "stupid white c***" but a black guy and she told him she was going to "hang his a**". Well apparently calling her that isn't sexist or racist at all, but what she said was SOO much worse and therefore got him out of any trouble. BULL.


What your friend said is seriously **** up. There is a huge **** difference between calling someone a name and telling someone that you're going to lynch them.


Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:54 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:16 pm
Posts: 1013
1. One of the biggest problems about and causes of racism is the seperation of "us" and "them." A lot of times when a topic like this comes up, it quickly devolves into "I'm not racist, but they blah blah blah." The key to tolerance is not grouping people together on superficial evidence, or hell, probably not groupoinng people together at all. Yes, it may be a fact that the black folk at your school may be disproportionately more raucus at your school than the white are, but your entire mentality is askew. To truly absolve yourself as racism, you have to constantly and consistently view people on an individual basis, as a sum of all of their parts. A black man with freckles, glasses and a warm heart is not by any means a man who is black who has freckles and who has glasses; he is more than that, and no detail of his person is
insignificant, at least not any moreso than the rest of him; it is anti-productive to think of him as anything else. It is easy to note how someone is or isn't racist, but unles we can conciously call attention to the individual and that individual's actions in relation to his motives, we really always will have some sort of prejudice. I am someone who believes that one of the (many) negative affects of racism in America and subequently affirmative action, is that the white male is seen as ablank slate upon which other cultures and quirks can be painted over; European American ancestry loses all significance when compared to African-American or Asian-American culture or any other non-western-Eurpoean culture, which I think is extremely offensive to any white person who cares about and/or identifies with his culture. Not to mention the implications for any minority who doesn't give a damn about where his ancestry lies, this is an absurd viewpoint and needs to be fixed. I am sorry you feel discrimnated against and this is by all means an injustice that needs to be addressed, but lumping black people together in the group who wronged you, and forming an "us vs. them" mentality (that many posters have shown here) is not only the wrong answer, it is the exact antithesis of what you want accomplished.

2. There are no "black-only " universities in America, only HBCUs, "historically black colleges and universities." As the name implie, theyhistorically been geared toard giving blacks a leg up in edcation, but just as you observed for yourself, it would be assbackwards for any one of them to discriminate against whites or any racial or ethnic group, and they don't. Not a one of these institutions ever has. These schools remain predominantly black, but acceptance letters are setnt out to white students all of the time, and are often sent with a few thousand dollars worth of scholarship money tucked inside. If you were to open a historically white college or univerity, I would assure you, nobody would give a damn, because that school would automatically become an HWCU if majority white students applied there.

3. I can't believe nobody botherd to do the goddamn research on that second one. I mean , **** seriously? That was easy as ****.


Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:05 pm
Posts: 581
Location: The Land of Ooo
Sparrow wrote:
Magikarps_Beast wrote:
Mektar wrote:
I'm not racist. I'm just 'Smartist' (ie: against stupid people, it's a term I made up). If I happen to dislike someone who is Black, or Cuban, or whatever, It's problably because they are an idiot. I would treat them the same way as white idiots.


It's too bad such a thing isn't allowed to exist in my area, whether you're disliking someone who's black or not because they're just idiotic and ignorant you'll still get in trouble just because they're black. Yay. Recently a lot of people have come from the inner city to our town because it's gotten bad up there... and they just make our town bad. And I think once our town gets rough, everyone who brought it here is going to migrate somewhere else, it's like cancer. (That sounds bad... whatever) I mean, my school board is so easy on them, a friend of mine was called a "stupid white c***" but a black guy and she told him she was going to "hang his a**". Well apparently calling her that isn't sexist or racist at all, but what she said was SOO much worse and therefore got him out of any trouble. BULL.


What your friend said is seriously **** up. There is a huge **** difference between calling someone a name and telling someone that you're going to lynch them.


Not in our community. We're threatened every day. I would bet if I called some black chick a c*** then i'd get my ass beat and probably worse. I've been threatened and even had them following us off of our bus stop and then basically stalking us all the way home, not entirely sure why because they never got out of the car and nothing happened later, but it was still creepy. Haven't you lived in the city? I got friends who are black, but they aren't ghetto. The amount of people like that in our school is slim to none. **** happens, days go on.

_________________
Hi my name is Hunter
Avatar credited to me. I can make you one too if you want. ;D
Image


Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:42 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:05 pm
Posts: 581
Location: The Land of Ooo
Sparrow wrote:
Magikarps_Beast wrote:
Mektar wrote:
I'm not racist. I'm just 'Smartist' (ie: against stupid people, it's a term I made up). If I happen to dislike someone who is Black, or Cuban, or whatever, It's problably because they are an idiot. I would treat them the same way as white idiots.


It's too bad such a thing isn't allowed to exist in my area, whether you're disliking someone who's black or not because they're just idiotic and ignorant you'll still get in trouble just because they're black. Yay. Recently a lot of people have come from the inner city to our town because it's gotten bad up there... and they just make our town bad. And I think once our town gets rough, everyone who brought it here is going to migrate somewhere else, it's like cancer. (That sounds bad... whatever) I mean, my school board is so easy on them, a friend of mine was called a "stupid white c***" but a black guy and she told him she was going to "hang his a**". Well apparently calling her that isn't sexist or racist at all, but what she said was SOO much worse and therefore got him out of any trouble. BULL.


What your friend said is seriously **** up. There is a huge **** difference between calling someone a name and telling someone that you're going to lynch them.


Not in our community. We're threatened every day. I would bet if I called some black chick a c*** then i'd get my ass beat and probably worse. I've been threatened and even had them following us off of our bus stop and then basically stalking us all the way home, not entirely sure why because they never got out of the car and nothing happened later, but it was still creepy. Haven't you lived in the city? I got friends who are black, but they aren't ghetto. The amount of people like that in our school is slim to none. **** happens, days go on.

_________________
Hi my name is Hunter
Avatar credited to me. I can make you one too if you want. ;D
Image


Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:42 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 442
Location: Space, the Final Fronteir
Magikarps_Beast wrote:
Sparrow wrote:
Magikarps_Beast wrote:
Mektar wrote:
I'm not racist. I'm just 'Smartist' (ie: against stupid people, it's a term I made up). If I happen to dislike someone who is Black, or Cuban, or whatever, It's problably because they are an idiot. I would treat them the same way as white idiots.


It's too bad such a thing isn't allowed to exist in my area, whether you're disliking someone who's black or not because they're just idiotic and ignorant you'll still get in trouble just because they're black. Yay. Recently a lot of people have come from the inner city to our town because it's gotten bad up there... and they just make our town bad. And I think once our town gets rough, everyone who brought it here is going to migrate somewhere else, it's like cancer. (That sounds bad... whatever) I mean, my school board is so easy on them, a friend of mine was called a "stupid white c***" but a black guy and she told him she was going to "hang his a**". Well apparently calling her that isn't sexist or racist at all, but what she said was SOO much worse and therefore got him out of any trouble. BULL.


What your friend said is seriously **** up. There is a huge **** difference between calling someone a name and telling someone that you're going to lynch them.


Not in our community. We're threatened every day. I would bet if I called some black chick a c*** then i'd get my ass beat and probably worse. I've been threatened and even had them following us off of our bus stop and then basically stalking us all the way home, not entirely sure why because they never got out of the car and nothing happened later, but it was still creepy. Haven't you lived in the city? I got friends who are black, but they aren't ghetto. The amount of people like that in our school is slim to none. **** happens, days go on.


That's pretty bad. I live in a town where most people don't fight over race so I can't relate as much. One thing that does happen there, though, is that people play the race card too often. I can't get into an argument without being "a racist".

_________________
I'm back!


Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:03 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:29 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
pelligargetic wrote:
There are no "black-only " universities in America, only HBCUs, "historically black colleges and universities." As the name implie, theyhistorically been geared toard giving blacks a leg up in edcation, but just as you observed for yourself, it would be assbackwards for any one of them to discriminate against whites or any racial or ethnic group, and they don't. Not a one of these institutions ever has. These schools remain predominantly black, but acceptance letters are setnt out to white students all of the time, and are often sent with a few thousand dollars worth of scholarship money tucked inside. If you were to open a historically white college or univerity, I would assure you, nobody would give a damn, because that school would automatically become an HWCU if majority white students applied there.


There are Black-only universities in Canada. One of my good friends Oma goes to one.

Anyway, what you say is true. Most of the time when people try to address the issue of racism they only make it worse. By, like you said using the terms "them" etc. and by giving special treatment to one particular group of people. The aforesaid only makes the difference more obvious. Wouldn't it just be great if society raised us to not judge people by their appearance. Not just their race, but what clothes they wear, how their hair looks, etc. Unfortunetly, that's not how life is.

_________________
Come and see my new and improved trading thread! Now with Black, White, and Dream World!!

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}


Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:30 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 253
Azure wrote:
Wouldn't it just be great if society raised us to not judge people by their appearance. Not just their race, but what clothes they wear, how their hair looks, etc. Unfortunetly, that's not


Quite Frankly it's only in America. I've been to many other countries (every country in Europe, and japan to be exact) and over there people are people regardless of color. I've seen a "black" guy in England and he was treated as if he was a normal Brit. If freakin Germany isn't can get over it's racism issues why can't we. Land of Equal oppertunity my "black" :censored: . We need to stop catering to everyone's :censored: and just move forward. How can we be the "best country in the world" if we are still racist.

~ D_S

_________________
Image


Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:25 pm
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2511
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Dark_Swampert wrote:
Quite Frankly it's only in America. I've been to many other countries (every country in Europe, and japan to be exact) and over there people are people regardless of color. I've seen a "black" guy in England and he was treated as if he was a normal Brit. If freakin Germany isn't can get over it's racism issues why can't we. Land of Equal oppertunity my "black" :censored: . We need to stop catering to everyone's :censored: and just move forward. How can we be the "best country in the world" if we are still racist.

~ D_S

Agreed, even if "isn't" is being used where it doesn't belong ;) ...

Not anything we can really do about it though so oh well :? ...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:18 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/acm/acm_apc.php on line 68: apc_store(): Potential cache slam averted for key '57a1085f_global'