It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Religion 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Cherrygrove wrote:
If you have some time I would like you to read this regarding Galileo and Geo/Heliocentrism.

While that article does make it seem that the church is all in for science, you have to remember it is written by a pro-church group. Therefore it is more likely then not bias. I'm sure, given enough time I could right a document that would convince you the Nazis were the good guys. By bending the truth anything is possible. On the same tone, I am sure I could find an article by an anti-church group that would convince you that they were against Galileo.

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I believe in Jesus, but I don't believe in God.
That is all I am sure about.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:28 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

i usually dislike threads like these...usually they last a few weeks erupt into an argument which results in a forum death..
BUT
I'm very surprised at the level of maturity here and restores my faith in humanity a little
now back on topic
i believe there is someone out there watching us but i don't believe it is a god, and I'm sorry for offense but in blunt words the bible is **** it is full of contradictions and literally shoves the religion down your throat
i also dislike the fact that Jesus was portrayed as white, to settle doubt now Jesus would have died very young if he was white therefore he must've been colored to some degree
also evidence supports the view Jesus was Jewish
as you can see i dislike this faith and disbelieve it entirely and I'm sorry if im coming across arrogantly but my beliefs her are unlikely to change
now other religions are different i respect them and rarely do anything other than sing their praises they all get me interested and my R.E teacher frequently has to send me out as i 'ask to many questions' (comment confuses me)
wow im really negative anyway i live by morals if it seems wrong i wont do it like bragging...it seems wrong so i don't do it anyway this is just the boring ramblings of a 15 year old on religion hope something there interests you
one nerdy raven

Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
DOWN WITH PIKACHU!!

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I am agnostic, but I think that everyone's beliefs might be accountable in some way, but noone's view will ever be exactly correct. I think that all the bits and pieces that make up everyone's opinion, when combined, will create the most accurate truth.

(But really, religion only makes things more complicated, if you think about it.)

sad but rad

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I am agnostic, but I think that everyone's beliefs might be accountable in some way, but noone's view will ever be exactly correct. I think that all the bits and pieces that make up everyone's opinion, when combined, will create the most accurate truth.

(But really, religion only makes things more complicated, if you think about it.)

sad but rad

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I used to be Catholic, kinda. I mean, I attended a Catholic church but I was raised with ideals that really, truly, treat everyone on equal terms. Man or woman, white or black, straight or gay... There was a time I didn't even know there were people arguing about things like that. I was really disappointed when I found out there were.

About four years ago I started thinking and I never stopped. Now I am an atheist and I believe absolutely everything is governed by cause and effect. People are the same way, reacting to stimuli. I don't see any room for gods in this great machine of a universe. Yes, the beginning of the universe is a mystery, but I am comfortable not having an explanation. Is there an afterlife? I'm afraid I believe not, difficult as it may be to imagine a conclusion to consciousness; it's hard to imagine what it would be like because it can't possibly be like anything.

This all probably sounds like the ramblings of a nihilist, but I don't think like a machine all the time. We think and feel. I don't think that I need a book of written morality or a god watching me to tell me right from wrong or good from evil. We will all die, someday, so we'd each better enjoy our lives while we've got 'em... but if we can't share our happiness, what is it worth? You could live your life having everything you ever wanted for yourself handed to you on a silver platter, but in the end, it wouldn't even be half a life if it were lived alone.

So all I believe in is the Golden Rule. Treat others as you would like to be treated. I will respect you until you give me a reason not to. I'm happy to let you do whatever you want (including worship whatever gods you want) so long as it isn't infringing on someone else's right to life, liberty, property or pursuit of happiness, even if for some reason I don't like you. I wish everyone could feel that same way. But that would be an effect requiring a pretty powerful cause...

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

PowerPeanut wrote:
I was brought up Hindu, and I guess that I'm technically Hindu while I'm still living with my parents. I don't believe in any religion, so I guess that makes me Atheist, although I don't hate every religious person.

I posted that^ back in late 2009. That's about three months into my sophomore year in high school. Since this thread is still around (congrats, Magikarps_Beast! :D ), I might as well give an update on my progress. For perspective, I'm in my senior year in high school. Now, onto the good stuff.

I'm still an atheist. I'm less wishy-washy as I was about my beliefs since then, too; back then, I guess you could say I was "in the closet" about my atheism. Of course, I've "come out" about my atheism (continuing with that metaphor). It hasn't led to as many arguments as one would imagine, although there have been plenty.

PowerPeanut wrote:
The only religious people I hate are those who impose their beliefs on others, and then yell at them.

Yep, I still hate evangelistic religions (and people) with a passion. The premise of religion is great. It gives people emotional strength, teaches them life lessons usually through stories, and presents those in an often entertaining light. BUT it's unnecessary. People can learn about the world through facts, not fiction, and most people are emotionally equipped to handle even the most stressful of situations. I don't think there's the need for a mental crutch for most people. That's key-most people. Not everyone is as mentally strong as others, which suggests that religion could be deemed necessary for some. But I believe that the idea of (a) supernatural being(s) is outdated.

However, I don't believe that all religions are bad. I think most Eastern religions (those that have lasted for millenia) are more credible than Judaism or Christianity; not in their choice of supernatural being, but in their philosophical teachings. Of course, I understand the possibility that I'm coming off as biased, given that I was raised Hindu, which is grouped in "Eastern religions". I can assure you, Psypokians, that I made that generalization after considering all possibilities as objectively as possible.

Now, let's get even more general. The premise of a "god" is that there's some higher power (that manifests itself in many forms, according to most polythestic religions) that either (a) controls every aspect of our lives, or (b) got things going but doesn't intervene, and is either (1) vengeful and angry at our people, or (2) benevolent and caring. So, that higher power is usually credited for creating everything, and for exacting punishments for those who were "bad", for want of a better word. As to the first bit, on creating the universe, that's been disproved. As to the latter, the concept of retribution has been around for a LONG time, and one could argue that it's a purely human creation. Physical evidence for that has been around much longer than christianity, just look at the Code of Hammurabi. We can assume that retribution's been around longer than even that.

The following quote from Stephen F. Roberts sums up this post quite well:

Stephen F. Roberts wrote:
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! :)
~PowerPeanut

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I've been sitting around all this time. I think I should be heard.
I'm aethist, but in the sense of I dont want to be labeled as a group. I used to be methodist, but when the war on terror escalated after 9/11, eventually I questioned my religion. I tried Zoroasterianism, which is belief in the ideals of man as divinity, but it had a repression of speech kind of. So, theres that. So, aethist I am. I really dont get the whole idea of religious strife. I remember last year when a group of christians protested a soldiers funeral and attacked the body of said soldier. When the family sued and tried to press charges, courts sided with the protesters with the whole 'freedom of speech' bs. That is why I'm aethist.

Goodbye
"

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

If that was the Westboro Baptist Church then don't forget, never forget, that church basically consists of Fred Phelps, Fred Phelps' hot air, and the inbred cousins of his who can stand to breathe it. It takes a lot to be that bad of a person and nobody else deserves to be associated with their actions.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

No. It was a regular church. They did it because they didnt like that the soldier was defending his country when he was defending gays. Thats BULL :censored: , right? There should be NO reason to attack a soldiers dead body. But that crap is why we are at war. Especially when people who burn the Quran ask why our soldiers are dying.

Goodbye
"

Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:25 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Magikarps_Beast wrote:
Religion. A very controversial topic. I wanted to discuss about this because i've
I replied telling her about how i'm agnostic-theist. It's really the closest thing to how i feel about religion. that i believe that there is a god and all that, but i am not 100% sure. but i don't believe there isn't a god either.

Thats exactly what i am, im not saying there is or isnt, but sometimes you just wonder what goes on.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7