It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Mobile phones 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I have an iphone and I love it. It is clearly the greatest thing to have been invented. Everyone always says to me "iphones SUCK! there's no expandable memory and you can't download whatever the hell you want on it and you have to go through iTunes blah blah blah...." man SHUT UP!! It's a phone not a computer, I hardly ever use the thing for games/music/movies whatever and people are so determined to hate apple for the sake of hating apple.

The main reason I like it is because you can do pretty much whatever you need on it! Need to check your bank balance? Easy. Train timetable? Quick and easy to install. Running out of fuel? Service station locator loads in 3 seconds. Lost? Map tells you exactly where you are. With friends and don't know where to hang? This coffee app here will search out the places with the best recommendations. I don't need "dual core processor" or "1000 gigs of ram" I like this phone because it does what I need it too.

Anyway I'm sure everyone has nice phones. What do you have? What are you looking forward to (phones that are coming out)? How much money do you spend on your phone every month?

I spend around 60. Which I think is around average (I get $400 worth of calls but most months I go over.) for someone my age anyway.

brrr its cold here

Tue May 10, 2011 4:50 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have a cell phone And it used for one thing, PHONE CALLS! That is what they were invented for. That is what I us it for. Simple as that.

Tue May 10, 2011 6:36 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

This is the phone that I have, along with TheCyberMew and Frost (through Sprint.) I absolutely love the phone and the price, I pay $25 a month for unlimited data and messaging. Although I only get 350 minutes, I almost never use more than maybe 30. I'm pretty anti social vocally.

Why so cheap? It's pre-paid Virgin Mobile. Here are the pros to my phone and its plan:

-Very cheap smart phone and inexpensive to maintain.
-Can use IRC, email, and everything else so I'm never bored.
-Free games, free apps.

Things I hate about this phone:

-No physical keyboard, my fingers seem too big for the on-screen keyboard (or they're just too awkward.)
-Service here kinda blows. Rural town, mediocre service, hoping Sprint/Virgin improves their network and 3G here.
-People who speak to me on the phone complain they can't hear me. Should I blame this one on the phone or **** service?
-When I talk to people, my cheek rubs against the touch screen and hangs up or presses numbers. Grr, I WILL buy a phone with a keyboard and limited touch screen next time.

In conclusion, this is my favorite phone so far. Why do I need to buy a GPS, mp3 player, or PDA? This is everything in one. Also contract phones are overrated, don't buy them. I was suckered into a contract once upon a time and realized how much money I was pissing away.

Tue May 10, 2011 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

iPhone 4. <3

Absolutely brilliant phone. Like DragonPheonix said, it does everything you need it to do and more if you want to. Only qualm I have with it is that with 3G on to speed up the internet connection the battery does go down abit sharpish but thats no biggie.

I've got Itunes in my hand, I've got GPS, I'm posting on here with it right now. Got my Facebook, Angry Birds, Kieth Lemons Mouth, Tetris and WHERES WALLY OMG. You gott <3 Wheres Wally.

£40 a Month, 900 Mins, Unlimited Texts, 1GB data allowance. A bit steep on the pricing but it's an expensive phone.

Tue May 10, 2011 10:15 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

GofD wrote:
I have a cell phone And it used for one thing, PHONE CALLS! That is what they were invented for. That is what I us it for. Simple as that.

Yeah, okay. Good luck surviving in the real world, kiddo. The world is developing around our mobile phones, eventually it's all we're going to need to carry around most places. Phones have already made cameras, mp3s, GPS, and eBooks relatively obsolete or outclassed, and they also take care of most common laptop functions like e-mail, Internet, Word, Excel, and so forth. Basically, if you don't have a smartphone, you aren't keeping up.

My phone is a Rumor Touch, from Sprint, and I love it. Mainly because I got it for free and it has a proper keyboard. But its a really nice phone anyway. The touchscreen is really scratched up though, but its not that big a deal.

Tue May 10, 2011 8:50 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have an HTC Hero, I switched from an iPhone to it not by choice. Since I am on my dad's plan and he pays the bills, so I technically pay anything for it, but the bill for it is around sixty a month. That includes unlimited everything. Web, messages, calls, etc. I only wish that I could go back to an iPhone.

Tue May 10, 2011 8:58 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

What? You guys get plans and caps which get you unlimited data? I'm very jealous. Over here there's ALWAYS a limit on data, and once you go over the rates are something ridiculous - I'm pretty sure mine is 1c per 1kb. Which is just like our internet, no service provider ever provides unlimited plans.

Quote:
-No physical keyboard, my fingers seem too big for the on-screen keyboard (or they're just too awkward.)

I used to have a Nokia 5730 which I thought was the BEST DESIGNED phone I ever had, but too bad Nokia's **** operating system let it down. Physical keyboards really are grand but I find sometimes they take up too much space. I'm used to typing out on my phone now, and my autocorrect usually hits the mark.

Quote:
-When I talk to people, my cheek rubs against the touch screen and hangs up or presses numbers.

This happens to me all the time, especially when I'm on a bus or something and all of a sudden I've nudged loudspeaker. Has happened at least 4 times. Kinda annoyed but the good thing about having a smartphone is that the developers can update the operating system and fix this somehow (which I'm sure they will).

Quote:
Also contract phones are overrated, don't buy them. I was suckered into a contract once upon a time and realized how much money I was pissing away.

The way I see it, you pay for what you use and you get a free phone thrown in. I was paying exorbitant amounts whilst on prepaid anyway but it really depends on the contract you get.

Quote:
I have a cell phone And it used for one thing, PHONE CALLS! That is what they were invented for. That is what I us it for. Simple as that

I'm guessing you don't use your phone much, and I'm guessing you don't really have much need for one. In a way I guess that's good, I get annoyed when I see school kids with better phones than me. But in today's day and age phones don't allow you simply to talk to others anymore, it allows you to connect.

Wed May 11, 2011 4:59 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

DragonPhoenix: I was looking at an advertisement for Virgin Mobile services in the UK and noticed one major thing: there were no unlimited data plans. I immediately thought "woah! that has to suck!" guess it's a pretty common thing outside of the US.

Magus: I have that piece of **** phone too, it was my previous phone for almost two years. I cancelled the contract because the $80 bill for that phone was NOT worth it. Worst browser ever, the camera didn't work right on my phone, and many other reasons I didn't like the phone.

Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

EvilPenguin wrote:
GofD wrote:

Yeah, okay. Good luck surviving in the real world, kiddo. The world is developing around our mobile phones, eventually it's all we're going to need to carry around most places. Phones have already made cameras, mp3s, GPS, and eBooks relatively obsolete or outclassed, and they also take care of most common laptop functions like e-mail, Internet, Word, Excel, and so forth. Basically, if you don't have a smartphone, you aren't keeping up.

DragonPhoenix wrote:
I'm guessing you don't use your phone much, and I'm guessing you don't really have much need for one. In a way I guess that's good, I get annoyed when I see school kids with better phones than me. But in today's day and age phones don't allow you simply to talk to others anymore, it allows you to connect.

Dragon Phenoix bascially summed up why I only use my cell-PHONE for phone calls. IM not the kind of guy who needs to check my E-mail EVERY FLIPPIN 5 MINUTES.I dont use facebook or twitter or anyother social network site. The only reason I even have a cell-PHONE is in case of an emercancy.

Wed May 11, 2011 11:39 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

GofD wrote:
Dragon Phenoix bascially summed up why I only use my cell-PHONE for phone calls. IM not the kind of guy who needs to check my E-mail EVERY FLIPPIN 5 MINUTES.I dont use facebook or twitter or anyother social network site. The only reason I even have a cell-PHONE is in case of an emercancy.

I kind of agree with you, but then again, I'd never go back to having a simple flip phone. Why? Because my cellphone is my tool for communication - whether it be for emergencies or for general contact with the world. However, I am not a very social person. Actually, I'm not social at all, and people almost never call me. I text people, but its not like 10000 texts a month or anything. So why do I own the phone that I do? I love technology and the internet, having a device that is capable of so much is amazing and I must own something like that. I do use my phone a lot, but its mostly not for social reasons. I guess I just like having a device that plays music, youtube, and browses the internet. Oh, and its my alarm clock, of course.

I can totally see why some people feel like you do, not everyone thinks like I do. My spellcheck is going crazy quoting your post...

Wed May 11, 2011 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Quote:
Dragon Phoenix basically summed up why I only use my cell-PHONE for phone calls. IM not the kind of guy who needs to check my E-mail EVERY FLIPPIN 5 MINUTES.

I don't even really use my cell phone but it's still convenient for it to vibrate every time I get new e-mail so I can go see what it is. For the exact reason of NOT having to check my e-mail every five minutes. It's also convenient to have IRC, Facebook and Twitter if I'm ever dragged somewhere I don't want to be, like class or Home Depot or an obnoxiously long car ride.

P.S. Krisp already basically posted my phone, only mine is an S for Sprint and it's purple (obvi).

Wed May 11, 2011 2:01 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Krisp wrote:
I kind of agree with you, but then again, I'd never go back to having a simple flip phone. Why? Because my cellphone is my tool for communication - whether it be for emergencies or for general contact with the world. However, I am not a very social person. Actually, I'm not social at all, and people almost never call me. I text people, but its not like 10000 texts a month or anything. So why do I own the phone that I do? I love technology and the internet, having a device that is capable of so much is amazing and I must own something like that. I do use my phone a lot, but its mostly not for social reasons. I guess I just like having a device that plays music, youtube, and browses the internet. Oh, and its my alarm clock, of course.

My spellcheck is going crazy quoting your post...

Err, sorry about the spelling / grammer.

Ok yeah I can see why someone would want a Smartphone, its cheaper than buying everything else. But not everyone needs a smartphone has to offer (such as me, at this moment in time). For me, as of right now, im gonna stick with my flip phone.

Wed May 11, 2011 3:49 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

An iPhone. I don't jizz over the thing though. Blackberrys are pretty much the same; I just think the iPhone is more simple to use. The memory isn't that great, but the only thing I would put on the phone is more music if I had the room, but I've been using music apps like Pandora and last.fm instead of the iPod anyway.

I have unlimited everything, except calls to LAN lines for $38.01 a month.

Wed May 11, 2011 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]