It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:01 pm



Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Valentine's Day 
Author Message
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:49 pm
Posts: 1196
Location: William McKinley High School. Lima, Ohio.
Today in the US it is Valentine's Day, or as some of my friends including myself call it Single Awareness Day. This a day where people are supposed to get all gushy with their loved one, and if your someone like me get all depressed because you don't have someone to share it with. I really don't like this holiday as it just makes me depressed that I don't have someone to share it with. So I usually just listen to sad sack songs while eating junk food and drinking Gatorade. Though when I did have a girlfriend I would always take her out to a nice dinner to a place of her choosing, along with a small gift of something that she liked. Though I have been single for years now. Anyway fellow Psypokians what do you feel about this holiday? Share your thoughts and opinions whether they be something positive towards the holiday, or a general disliking for it.

_________________
Image
I suck at WiFi battling.


Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:26 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:32 pm
Posts: 401
I really don't like Valentine's Day because
1. I don't have a girlfriend and probably never will
2. A lot of people foprget it is ST. Valentine's Day (technically a religious holiday even though it isn't even celebrated anymore in the church)
3. There is no proof St. Valentine ever even existed
4. Also I think Hallmark has ruined the holiday with the cards.
5. At my school we have "Candy Grams" and I never get any because I have no friends.
Anyway most of he reason why I dislike the holiday is because of my social status and shouldn't ruin everyone elses fun but as I said there is no proof St. Valentine ever existed.

_________________
This is a signature. It is very good.
actually it's terrible, but let me believe what I want

3DS FC (Pokemon X) 2595-0552-0873


Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:46 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Posts: 1312
I think Valentine's Day is a nice thing to have. Sure, I'm single right now; but I look forward to the day when I'll have somebody to share this holiday with. In that sense, it's not so bad. I'm not a super popular person, so I didn't/usually don't get any Valentines or anything like that. But I wouldn't let that ruin my day (unless a crapload of bad stuff happens anyways, which means it's likely to just piss me off). So, yeah... s'okay with me :)

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:08 pm
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I absolutely loathe Valentine's Day...

Some reasons I don't like this holiday is;

1. Nasty Candy = This holiday is responsible for 1 of the worse tasting holiday oriented candy I have ever stumbled upon, they had to make the worst tasting holiday candy to go with it, you know, those heart-shaped ones with the messages on them like they are some kind of cake...

2. Gender Biased = I don't know a man that gets anything out of this Holiday what so ever & that I find hilarious cause it is suppose to be for the couple as a whole to celebrate so I would expect to be aware of at least a single case of such an occasion...

3. Single Awareness Day = It is Single Awareness Day indeed & while I am actually fine with being single considering my view on relationships, knowing that I am 1 of the only people who seems to be okay with being single however makes me dislike it for this reason...

4. Society's Standard = It is for some reason the standard for ALL couples to undergo the ritual that is February 14th or St. Valentine's Day & that is also something that really gets on my nerves every single year when this day comes up cause it has become a part of a what is known as a relationship, period, married or not, you get in a relationship of any kind & you are pretty much forced to celebrate V Day, regardless of gender...

In short, it seems to me to just be a holiday where men buy women something nice & spend time with them, just like the women's birthday, sometimes Mother's Day & in some parts of the world, Christmas & don't even think about forgetting your Anniversary for those unfortunate enough to have an anniversary, now while I don't mind if it would just vanish completely, I do understand that people really get into this crap of a holiday so I can just ignore it & let them be Happy another day of every year of their lives, if it makes those couples Happy for some reason then I say "have a nice Valentine's Day, you hear?" to all who celebrate it, meh...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:16 pm
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 442
Location: Space, the Final Fronteir
I hate Valentines Day. It's a sorry excuse for a holiday invented to sell cards and other "romantic" items. Thats why I am of THE INVINCIBLE SOLO REGIMENT. YOU MAY BE LONELY, BUT YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Image

_________________
I'm back!


Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:41 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 6:07 pm
Posts: 573
Location: Lilycove City, Hoenn Region
1. I just HATE Valentine's Day. It really makes me so self-conscious, because EVERYONE has a boyfriend or girlfriend these days...
2. Uh, Steel_Eel? Why is Korean on the card/pamphlet of the solo regiment thing?
3. Can we get a petition in here? To ban Valentine's Day?


Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:38 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:38 pm
Posts: 1420
Location: Somewhere in this general area.
I vote for #3 on torchies list ! Seriously, what makes valentines day so special? Its just like any other dya when you try to make that special person feel special, except you get in hot water if you forget that day. (For the record I am single.)

_________________
A glass is never empty it will always be full of air, unless its in a vacuum, THEN its empty.


Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:36 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Posts: 1312
Isn't it ironic how all the single people hate Valentine's Day?? ^_^
Lawence Codye wrote:
where men buy women something nice & spend time with them

Isn't this nice enough?? I mean, spending time with the ones you love is the reason you do anything at all on holidays (or at least in my opinion). I mean, what would be the point of a holiday that's designed to be spent alone?? It would be incredibly boring.

Oh, and for the record, I saw lots of guys with gifts their girlfriends gave them.

_________________
Image


Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:50 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:49 pm
Posts: 1196
Location: William McKinley High School. Lima, Ohio.
rex09 wrote:
Isn't it ironic how all the single people hate Valentine's Day?? ^_^


Wrong use of the word irony. Irony would be if the couple that is most in love hated Valentine's Day. The word you would want to use is people that are single and hate the day are cynical.

_________________
Image
I suck at WiFi battling.


Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Posts: 1312
shinashu taji wrote:
rex09 wrote:
Isn't it ironic how all the single people hate Valentine's Day?? ^_^


Wrong use of the word irony. Irony would be if the couple that is most in love hated Valentine's Day. The word you would want to use is people that are single and hate the day are cynical.

Well, I was kinda using it in the sense that it's ironic that the single people, who aren't the ones the holiday applies to, are the ones complaining about it; but your word works too, lol.

_________________
Image


Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:23 pm
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
@ rex09 = First of all, that was part of a bigger statement, I can't just lie with my complaints now can I?...that part of my complaint was not the focus but just to make it not just look like some contradicting statement, but I see that that was just not going to be figured out huh?...Oh well...

Second, no it is not as while spending time together you are expected to at some point during the day give that special someone a gift which you will obviously have to pay for that will most likely be expensive & be of no use in about 2 weeks anyway...Think of it this way, while she is just simply spending time with you, you have to do that AND get her something as well, do note that she might not do the same, this is a very common scenario that people have come to except it seems though...Just spending time with each other is supposed to be what these Holidays were about but that is sadly not the case & it is so obvious...

I never mentioned a thing that could bring 1 to think I hate the holiday cause it is couple oriented, that is the only thing I like about it actually, your right, that would be a bit boring but you are also assuming I am saying something that is indeed not what I am saying so...

But I haven't so it is irrelevant, for the record...

Enjoy the Holiday if you like it, but don't even think about bashing me about what I said about it cause it is true information, period...

@ Steel_Eel = That was hilarious, enough said...

@ torchie13125 = about (3.), I doubt that that would ever work & it is a little extreme...Oh & I know why you did that, I just wanted to mention this anyway...

@ GofD = Good point also, I am referring to your last 2 sentences only though...

@ shinashu taji = I guess I might be being cynical but I do have a point also though so...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:21 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Posts: 1312
Lawence Codye wrote:
but don't even think about bashing me about what I said about it cause it is true information, period...

Jeez, chill out. I wasn't bashing you, nor did I intend to. And I realize that it was part of a bigger statement; but only that part was relevant to my stance.

At this point, it's w/e. Personally, I like making my girlfriend (on the occasions I'm not single) happy by giving her gifts; it's not something I absolutely loathe dislike. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

_________________
Image


Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:57 am
Profile
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:29 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
I find St.Valentine's day to be a rather enjoyable holiday. The only part I don't like it the truckload of those cinnamon hearts that I receive. The part of Valentine's that I like is not the greedy capitalist American part that has concumed most holidays as of late, it is the part about love. Wouldn't the world be such a better place if everyone loved?

St.Valentine's day is a holiday of love. It doesn't specifically have to be boyfriend-girlfriend kind of love, or even friends and family love. Why can't it be love of all human beings?

_________________
Come and see my new and improved trading thread! Now with Black, White, and Dream World!!

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}


Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:01 am
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
rex09 wrote:
Jeez, chill out. I wasn't bashing you, nor did I intend to. And I realize that it was part of a bigger statement; but only that part was relevant to my stance.

At this point, it's w/e. Personally, I like making my girlfriend (on the occasions I'm not single) happy by giving her gifts; it's not something I absolutely loathe dislike. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am, I was just saying, it looked different then what it appeared...

Exactly & nice to hear that you like doing that...

Azure wrote:
I find St.Valentine's day to be a rather enjoyable holiday. The only part I don't like it the truckload of those cinnamon hearts that I receive. The part of Valentine's that I like is not the greedy capitalist American part that has concumed most holidays as of late, it is the part about love. Wouldn't the world be such a better place if everyone loved?

St.Valentine's day is a holiday of love. It doesn't specifically have to be boyfriend-girlfriend kind of love, or even friends and family love. Why can't it be love of all human beings?

They should really pick better choices as to what they make Cinnamon flavored more often cause most of Cinnamon snacks/treats are disgusting & of course cause you to have the runs & glad to see you enjoy it for the right reasons...

I wish there were more people who thought of it this way, oh well...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:43 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:46 am
Posts: 1550
Lawence Codye wrote:
2. Gender Biased = I don't know a man that gets anything out of this Holiday what so ever

You'll understand when you're older, son.

_________________
Image


Last edited by EvilPenguin on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:15 pm
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
EvilPenguin wrote:
Lawence Codye wrote:
2. Gender Biased = I don't know a man that gets anything out of this Holiday what so ever

You'll understand when you're older, son.


Okay...I'm actually in my twenties already but alright, if you say so...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:35 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 am
Posts: 690
Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Least favorite holiday (personally).
1. The heart-shaped 'candy' is pure, colored sugar.
2. It now seems like an excuse for card companies to make a quick buck.
3. The boyfriend/girlfriend thing, but for a different reason.
4. no.. just no...

_________________
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." -Abraham Lincoln
"You can't argue with all the fools in the world- it's best to let them have their way and trick them while they're not looking." -Brom
Credit to Jester for the avatar!


Last edited by Edoc'sil on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:51 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Posts: 555
Location: That's between me and the Danes...
Hurray for Valentine's Day, the day solely made to help singles realize just how pathetic and miserable they are! :D

_________________
Final Black Team:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.