It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 your job(s) 
Lite Four
Lite Four

I've probably made this thread before, but I don't feel like searching through 544 of my posts in General Discussion to find it. For those of you who are older than 12 and actually have a job, what do you do?

Me, I bust incredible amounts of ass at this evil store called Walmart. I'm supposed to stock 50 cases an hour, no exceptions. Even though I have to break down a ton of :censored: pallets and sort frozen/deli/meat/bakery's stuff. I work in the freezer and my face/hands are always peeling and bleeding because my skin is so dry. I get so much BS from the deli if I don't sort out their pallets, and I'm about ready to report them to management for harassment. I never thought working at Walmart could be so much drama, especially 3rd shift, but apparently there is. >_> 40 hours a week is worth all the ass busting, dramas, or the seriously screwed up sleeping habits I've taken on. I keep blowing a lot of that money on Pokemon cards to trade with my bff Frost too. :(

I work 10pm to 7am, which is probably why I'm online at strange parts of the day. If I'm online in the middle of the day its probably because I can't :censored: sleep. I haven't had a "normal" week in over 6 months now because I have to work all night.

Kids, stay in school, and never work for Walmart. Ever.

On an unrelated note,
lololol

Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

At this point, if I were to take a real job, it would cost me more than I would make, especially in the tight market now. I get paid to actually maintain a decnt GPA (they consider 3.0 decent - lololololololol).

With that said, I, in fact, tutor - Math (Geometry, Pre-Calc, Calculus), Chemistry, Biology, Earth System Science, and Physics. Unfortunately, with my wonderful skills, I am in high demand. Why is that unfortunate? Everyone wants me tutoring at the same time, and different subjects. So, I keep it to 2 kids a week (not kids - they're in High School and JHS for the most part). I am considered a bargain at $25 an hour. Flexible times - twice a week, between my homework.

If all goes well, and the forms go in and whatnot, I could be looking at an extra hundred a week (probably less), with my research (not really independant, but I'm involved in Molecular Orbital theory research and standardization). The various organizations love handing out the cash to have research done in their names.

Assuming another program passes, I could be getting paid $500 for listening to 10 lectures and eating all of the food. :D. Keep in mind, all of this is tax free.

Toasty :toast: - try setting up a CD, that way, you can't use the money. Also, do they allow for overtime (maybe you want it)?

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:22 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I'm a little less supercilious. I'm blue color. I went to school for biology and I'd love to continue my education, but everything must be paid by myself, so I pay for my car, past student loans, condo dues, insurance, food, phone, credit card, and entertainment. If you ask me, tutoring on the side isn't a real job (I've done it), and if this is going to be a pissing match between what we do and where we are in life, we don't need to have this conversation.

I print bingo cards. I care about what I do, but I hope to make something with my eduaction.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:02 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Um...Peanut-Lover, that isn't employment. Image Neither is getting decent grades (even though we know you get A+++++++++++ on everything).

Quote:
Also, do they allow for overtime (maybe you want it)?

I said I worked for Walmart, the biggest penny pinching company in existence. They told us if we have one minute overtime (or more) we'll be wrote up. >_>

p.s. DatVu, wtf? You're not a girl...I'm supposed to be the only tranny here. :(

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I am currently working as a data inputter for the NHS. Although some of my colleagues can be irritating, I cannot really complain. I generally enjoy my work and will start doing some over-time from tomorrow. Hopefully this will eventually result in a more permanent position, plus my manager has indicated that she might be open to the idea of me applying to a possible future position in data quality, with better pay. Yay. :)

I have also had a Saturday job for the past three years but it is hardly a 'job'. However, it does offer an okay wage so I have been lucky, (~feels sorry for Toasty :( ).

Does anyone have a brilliant or exotic job that they can share with the rest of us grey souls?

P.S. My education did flip-all for my job options, my first 'proper' job was in finance. Bleh. I ended up as a dogs-body for the perpetually 'off-sick'.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:05 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

I work for a small business. We do medical billing. I work to pay for school and for spending money. My company is a bit more broad than just coding/billing and it's possible I can make a career out of it after college, but as of now I'm undecided. Honestly it seems too early to have any concrete plans.

Also, DatVu, I'll admit I had to look up supercilious because I've only seen it used a handful of times, but that was awesome.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:32 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Toasty wrote:
p.s. DatVu, wtf? You're not a girl...I'm supposed to be the only tranny here. :(

Let's bump uglies and carry each other's babies.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Kroger, Sub manager of Produce dept.
Not my ideal job, but the pay is good (It'd make toasty cry) and better than most restaurant jobs I'd be able to hire into atm. It's also quite stable work since it has a workers union, worker placement (if a store closes or you move you can transfer to another store and keep you wages,seniority etc.) and health benefits.

Pretty nice for a job in Michigan right now.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:27 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I scan groceries! We're really overpriced and don't get a lot of business and our building is falling apart, but I like my job. We don't have bag boys (in fact, I've never seen a store, ever, in my whole life, that did) so I bag groceries too. We still have a parcel pick up machine (only store I've ever seen with them, ever) where I throw all your groceries in a big red box and then have to haul it over to this little belt and push it down, then you get in your car and drive up to a building in the middle of the parking lot and get your groceries. It's a lot of work with very little gain.

That being said, I like my job. I make minimum student wage ($8.20/hour) before taxes and *shudder* union dues, and most of this goes to stuff I have to buy for myself because of my current living situation -- $15 - $20 for the bus to school/work each week, food for lunch, school supplies, clothes, phone bill and what not. I've got very little disposable income, especially only working 8 - 15 hours a week.

My customers are usually either foreign or really old, but they're usually really pleasant. I'm usually very cheerful at work and extremely chatty, so most customers like me. They're really not as bad as a lot of people who work retail will tell you. Plus, when I graduate high school I'll probably be able to transfer to a store in a different city.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:25 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Having completed my mandatory service in the army, I am now left to wait for University to begin in early August, so I found myself a temporary job to pass time, gain some skills and knowledge, and of course, for money, so I don't just live off my parents. I'm working as a Pharmacy Assistant at a hospital's Pharmacy Department at the moment. The things I do change from time to time as I would be rotated among the different, erm, sub-departments within the departments, examples being the inpatient wards and the outpatient pharmacy. The pay isn't much, but the real bonus that comes with the job is the knowledge and exposure I gain because I will be pursuing a Bachelor of Science (Pharmacy) in University. My colleagues are also awesome people so I'm enjoying my job :wink:

PS: I tutor too.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:20 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I also work at a grocery store. Im a courtesy clerk/buggey boy. It's a pretty crappy job. I have to go outside (in nowadays -15°C weather) and bring shopping carts back into the store, I have to take out the garbage everywhere in the store, and I have to do the clean ups. The only task that's alright is doing the returns since I can just wander around the store and talk to customers and other employees.

I cant wait until I go to university and do paid co-op.

BTW, I thought minimum wage in Ontario was $8.75/h, unless it varies from city to city.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:15 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

MasterChef wrote:
Kroger, Sub manager of Produce dept.
Not my ideal job, but the pay is good (It'd make toasty cry) and better than most restaurant jobs I'd be able to hire into atm. It's also quite stable work since it has a workers union, worker placement (if a store closes or you move you can transfer to another store and keep you wages,seniority etc.) and health benefits.

Pretty nice for a job in Michigan right now.

Yeah department managers are overpaid at Walmart too. I didn't know they had DMs at Kroger... Produce probably shouldn't be considered "overpaid" because it's a hard department (at Walmart anyway...) but its the same pay rate as something like Domestics or HBA which is really unfair. My pay isn't really all that bad anymore since I've had three raises and it's still above minimum wage. Actually, my position is surprisingly one of the highest paying positions on 3rd shift. It's only outranked by cash office and produce.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
I used to work as a "model" when I was about 12, they call it modeling...but I like referring to it as being a walking cloth's dummy...really crappy job. so I quit seeing as I didn't get much money in the first place.

Now I sit on my ass most of the time...but my dad wants me to get a job, so I'll probably work as a stocker, seeing as I like making towers and pyramids and whatnot...

Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:33 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I work as a bar assistant in a private club. My job consists of restocking shelves from a freezing cold cellar, washing glasses and refilling ice buckets. I get paid roughly £6 an hour which is above minimum wage and I work 6-8 hours every Friday-Sunday. The job has it's joys too... You have never lived until you've had nothing to do for about an hour but to watch drunk people dance. But it's not without it's downsides. First of all, since I'm not 18 I cannot serve alcohol, so I have to listen to abuse from people that smell like a distillery. Also, I'm the one who gets sent out to shoo brat children from wherever they're causing mischief resulting in a slew of abuse from sorry excuses for parents that are more interested in alcohol than parenting. It may not be good but I like it.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:56 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Toasty wrote:

Yeah department managers are overpaid at Walmart too. I didn't know they had DMs at Kroger... Produce probably shouldn't be considered "overpaid" because it's a hard department (at Walmart anyway...) but its the same pay rate as something like Domestics or HBA which is really unfair. My pay isn't really all that bad anymore since I've had three raises and it's still above minimum wage. Actually, my position is surprisingly one of the highest paying positions on 3rd shift. It's only outranked by cash office and produce.

Yup we got em. I can't really say produce is hard, On the contrary I spent a few weeks in grocery/frozen once and found it absolutely mind-numbing >.< How much does produce make over there at max?

Also to clarify my last post I'm in college with culinary arts as my major. Hence the interest of a restaurant/foodservice job.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:08 pm
The Geek
The Geek

I swear, we did this thread not that long ago...

I pulled 14 months at a grocery store, where I was flat out told that I was "too good" at being on the bottom rung to ever get the promotion I was told I'd have within my first two months. Thankfully, I never had to go back to that after starting college.

On campus I'm the head tutor of the Computer Science department. The pay sucks, the job isn't terribly interesting, but it's easy and I get an office (or, at least, something vaguely resembling one), so I get to feel all official. Most days I just sit down there playing games. Since I'm the head tutor, I work primarily with people in higher-level classes, and most of them don't need help. When they do, it's generally on really interesting stuff, so I enjoy it. I also enjoy sending the people taking CSC107 and CSC109 (our Office 2007 courses) to the freshmen tutors we have, because I really get frustrated when the Liberal Arts majors are asking me what "Click cell D2 means."

This last summer and over winter break, I worked for FYE (For Your Entertainment) out at the Mall of America. Words cannot express the degree to which I hate that job, but it is a job, and it pays fairly well. Standing on my feet for 8+ hours at a time and getting chewed out for not forcing people to buy worthless crap that they don't want, especially in this economy, is a less than enjoyable experience. The discount makes it all worth it though.

I haven't decided if I'm going back to there this summer or not. I'd honestly like to find a desk job working with computers, even just tedious data entry. I'm sick of being on my feet, and I'm so tired of dealing with customers. While I cannot prove that there is a God, the fact that customers exist is proof enough for me that there is indeed a Satan. And anyone who's ever had to work retail will agree with me on that; customers are the devil incarnate.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

Jigglypuff wrote:
I haven't decided if I'm going back to there this summer or not. I'd honestly like to find a desk job working with computers, even just tedious data entry. I'm sick of being on my feet, and I'm so tired of dealing with customers. While I cannot prove that there is a God, the fact that customers exist is proof enough for me that there is indeed a Satan. And anyone who's ever had to work retail will agree with me on that; customers are the devil incarnate.

Customers are indeed terrible, and if nothing else working retail made me a better customer, since I tend to think of the poor kid behind the counter before I bitch him out over something out of his control. Most people who have worked retail at some point probably agree. The "funny" thing is recently so many people have been losing their jobs that a lot of people have taken low paying retail jobs since nothing else is available. Perhaps after seeing the experience from the other point of view will soften them up a bit.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Cherrygrove wrote:
I have to go outside (in nowadays -15°C weather) and bring shopping carts back into the store, I have to take out the garbage everywhere in the store, and I have to do the clean ups. The only task that's alright is doing the returns since I can just wander around the store and talk to customers and other employees.

As I said, I'm a cashier, and I do all of this. I work afternoons and evenings (usually start between 3 and 5:30, finish between 8 and 10) and because we aren't super busy, I often have to do courtesy clerk work. Returns suck because I don't know my way around the store and I always feel rushed -- I can't just take it slow. Bringing in carts sucks because, yeah, it's freezing **** in Ontario this time of year. Not to mention I've got very little muscle and our parking lot is on a slant. We also have to -- by "we" I mean all the cashiers, but realistically, me -- change all the garbages on the front end, restock every till with bags and wash all the belts. It's not that bad. I still have enough spare time to waste talking to my co-workers.
Cherrygrove wrote:
BTW, I thought minimum wage in Ontario was $8.75/h, unless it varies from city to city.

No, you're right, I'm just 16 so they only have to pay me student wage.
TheCyberMew wrote:
I bitch him out over something out of his control. Most people who have worked retail at some point probably agree.

Yes, yes and yes. I've been yelled at for everything from being understaffed to not having our hours posted on our front door (newsflash: the giant letters outside beside A&P that say "Open 24 Hours" make an hour sheet useless). It's made me a much better shopper, I think (not that I was a bad one to begin with).

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:09 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Wal-mart cart pushers would make you guys cry. They have to push carts (and believe me, the entire town shops at Wal-Mart), take care of ALL the trash around the store, do carry-outs, do people greeters breaks, and be the management's bitches (e.g. doing whatever they say when they say.) They also have to help unload the GM trucks sometimes because we are short on unloaders. Oh yeah, and they have to have the parking lot cleared of carts before their shift ends. Watching the poor kid coming in the building at midnight (two hours after his shift was supposed to end) with frozen tears on his face almost made ME cry. There are so few of them because of Wal-Mart's retarded ass hiring freeze because o noez profitz!!!11 so they must be responsible for 3 people's worth of work.

If you work at Wal-Mart as an unloader or a cart pusher, you might as well kill yourself. Their jobs make mine look like a walk in the park.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Toasty wrote:
Watching the poor kid coming in the building at midnight (two hours after his shift was supposed to end) with frozen tears on his face almost made ME cry.

Was he under 18? at least in Michigan (and I assume in the US) it's illegal for minors to work past 10pm. O_o wal-mart is known for it's labor violations, he might be able to grab a suit.

TheCyberMew wrote:
Yes, yes and yes. I've been yelled at for everything from being understaffed to not having our hours posted on our front door (newsflash: the giant letters outside beside A&P that say "Open 24 Hours" make an hour sheet useless). It's made me a much better shopper, I think (not that I was a bad one to begin with).

I once worked on U-scan and had a customer yell at me for almost 5 minutes because the machine shorted him a penny o_o

and it seems that no matter how much I'd block/close off an out of order u-scan customers would still walk up to it, move the basket, display and/or out of order sign out of the way and then complain to me that the machine isn't working...

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:30 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

@Krisp: I have all the respect in the world for those guys. I was stuck outside a Walmart looking for my cell phone at about 11PM a few weeks ago (school night, too!) and one of them probably had about fifteen carts. I can only do four or five at a time. Mind you he had one of those cool push things that make the job a lot easier (I assume) and we don't. He was also really nice to me when he noticed I'd lost something and told me he'd keep an eye out.

@MasterChef: Yeah, I feel you there. Thank God we don't have u-scan. We do have one Bag Your Own lane though, and people never seem to understand how it works. I mean, I get four year olds that know how to bring the belt down and thirty year olds who don't. That and "UM COULD I MAYBE GET SOME BAGS PLEASE?" when if they looked for about two and a half seconds they'd see there are tons at the end of the belt (where they should be, bagging their **** groceries). Oh, and my personal favourite -- the "WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK FOR MY AIR MILES CARD?" on purchases under $5.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:06 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Jamie wrote:
Oh, and my personal favourite -- the "WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK FOR MY AIR MILES CARD?" on purchases under $5.

I got this a lot. But they'd ask "WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK FOR MY KROGER CARD?" on their purchase of two non-sale items. and explaining that to them just makes them more irate >.>

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:46 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

-revives thread-

I love talking about work.

In June a really flexible employee we had that could do three jobs (courtesy clerk, cash, customer service) told us he was leaving in early September. I was always really jealous that he could work service desk and I couldn't (he's only a year older than me and doesn't work as hard) so I asked the head of the front end if I could be trained on it and mentioned it to one of the older ladies who works there. I didn't hear anything for something like three months and I didn't like te way they told me, either -- basically the head of the front end was at customer service while I was cleaning up and I heard her mentioning to the boss that I was going to be trained on service. I heard a quick, "Right Jamie?" and that was it.

It was another little while before I even began to be trained, but I love it now. I don't have my own override number (which is a number you need to type in when you need "manager's approval") but I know a lot of the other service desk employees'. I finally got my own Western Union account today though, so if you come to my work, I can send some money for you. :)

If all goes well, Sunday 11 October will be my first shift all by myself on desk. It seems like forever away but I'm hopeful and haven't really been doing much but standing there with whoever happens to be working and selling bus tickets and lottery tickets and all that.

Work's been crazy as **** lately, though. In August we had our big name change (from A&P to Metro) and in September we started -- UGH -- renovations. The store is in shambles. The mall side of our store has our old flooring. The middle has the base flooring (the floor under the old floor) and the rest has the new floor. Half our ceiling tiles in our produce section are gone, everything is only half painted, everything is dirty, messy and dusty. It smells AWFUL in there. The water lines break about once a week and we're left with no water at all. Sanitary, eh? It's been crazy as hell and I'm just about sick of it. I cannot actually believe how terrible everything is. Not to mention they're moving everything around and I JUST started to have this great understanding of where everything was in the store.

No, I was really good at it. If you were looking for super glue I could tell you it was 4/5 of the way down aisle 6 on the right hand side, just above eye level. Now I just kind of stare and tell the customer I'll go with them to try to find it. Hell, I have to go with them to look for a big section, like cookies or granola bars or hot sauce.

And tomorrow I'm doing a buggy shift again. It's **** cold outside this week and I've got to spend four and a half **** hours in it. I don't even have gloves or time to buy gloves before my shift starts.

Not to mention I'm working THIRTY hours this week and I go to high school. I get a whole two days off work next week and only because I BOOKED one of them off and told the people that schedule me to cut down on my hours.

All that being said, I do like my job. I got to thinking the other day and I really do genuinely like dealing with customers. The customers I had that joked with me about paying me to bag their groceries and then talked to me about how much they loved House in this flirty, cheerful tone were well worth the bitch screaming about how understaffed we are.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:58 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I believe my exact words to my supervisor as I left yesterday were, "And if you think I'm going to come in tomorrow and apologize, you can **** off." I'm not sure if I have a job anymore.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:27 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Okay, my turn!

I have worked many jobs, and I remember how long each of them were. I was a cook @ Pizza Inn for 7 weeks and was fired for not being able to roll 2 pizza crusts in 1 minute every time (even though the **** machine wouldn't work for me. I worked for Burger King as a cook for almost 2 years, and was on night shift for the last third of it. Halfway thorugh I worked @ Smithfield's Chicken & Bar-B-Q for a month as a cook. I got fired after that because I only worked 6 days or less the entire time and was expected to be as fast as everyone else that worked there for 3 years. During the last third of Burger King I got hired @ Kerr Drug as a delivery driver (I delivered prescription drugs and over-the-counter items to people at their homes). Then I was made a full-time employee there and was finally able to quit BK! YAY! Unfortunately, I was the ONLY delivery driver for 3 stores, so if I got sick or took vacation, NO ONE did the job so it was always piled up whenever I got back. Customers were usually very demanding, and there was no limit to how many deliveries each store got. The delivery radius had to be 10 miles or less from each store, but the pharmacies never check where people lived before they said that they could get delivery service. Management always got mad when I got overtime, and I had to deal with the screw-ups of 3 different pharmacies. I worked there about 3 years. Then I finally quit.

I then worked for an independent contractor called Cartage Solutions, Inc. (CSI) as a courier driver. They had a contract with DHL. I got laid off due to the economy after 1 year of working there.

Now I work as a part-time cashier at a grocery store called Harris Teeter AND I work as a part-time sales associate at Tuesday Morning (it's a close-out store, in case you're interested). I work seven days a week, but to be honest these two jobs are the BEST jobs I have had in a while. Yes, the pay at both jobs are a LOT less than what I made at CSI, but both companies are very friendly in every atmosphere. The work at both isn't too hard, the customers are nice (yes, there is such thing as nice customers), my co-workers and management are nice, and both are very proud and respectful of the work that I do. And I am definately keeping both jobs, mainly because my wife and I are expecting a little bouncing baby! So I need the money very badly right now!

That's it!

-Ryan

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next