It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Pre-Employment Personality Tests 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Okay I have tried getting jobs so many times and these tests always bar me from getting in the door. I tried being completely honest. I failed the tests. Then I put down what I believed they wanted to hear. I still failed the tests. So what am I suppposed to do? I mean seriously, how can I get a job if they won't even give me a chance? Does anyone know how I can get past these stupid tests? Because I am seriously running out of ideas!

-Ryan

Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:55 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Have you tried speaking directly with the employer. sometimes they'll let you skip those test if you really impress them.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:19 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

They're all bull ****.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:29 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Uh, all the tests I've encountered, it was very obvious what they wanted to hear.

Helpful, respectful, and above all, enjoying working as a team. I applied those ideas to the questions and apparently passed every one I have taken because no one ever approached me about it. Of course, if your job gives you a personality test before hiring you, it's either a terrible job or the management is a giant bunch of tools. I do wish you luck though :o

Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:58 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I have tried to talk to him. He actually did interview me, but apparently there are 3 grades of results: Red, Yellow and Green. I first wound up in red, and now I can't make it past yellow. He said he can only hire green results, but only if the DM (District Manager) says it is okay. His DM won't let me in. Every other job I try for I can't even get the Store manager to even talk to me. So this is the best shot I've got. And it sucks. I just don't know what to do anymore. I try over and over. I drive out to these places over and over again to show that I really want the job, but they always say "Our manager will call you if anything becomes available." They NEVER call. Never have. Never will. It is so much BS that they look for a specific personality type to fit a job.

"It is illegal to discriminate someone from getting a job based on age, gender, race, origin, religion, etc.......but if your personality isn't what we are looking for, then you suck!"

America the Free, heh, yeah right!

-Ryan

Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:00 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

If I may ask, what job are you trying to get?

Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lie.

And always answer either "Strongly Agree" or "Strongly Disagree." Those answers get you more points, and you have to hit a certain number of points to "pass."

Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I've been trying to get a job at Best Buy, Target, and Hollywood Video. And yes, I have already lied and done the "strongly agree" and "strongly disagree" and I still fail.

-Ryan

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:13 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Perhaps you should try something else, then. Being a sales associate is pretty cruddy job anyway. Factory work is pretty much out of the question, so maybe you should try restaurants or something? When I was interviewed for Subway and Marco's Pizza they didn't give me a personality test, they only interviewed me. I bombed them pretty bad, but I learned from my mistakes and when I was interviewed for my previous job (sales associate at Walmart) I did quite well and they hired me in.

There are other jobs like hotel clerk, cashier, etc. too, just find somewhere that doesn't give you a shitty test.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I thank you all for your concern, but my options are only sales associate in a way. I worked in organizing clothes for a clothing rescue company (in other words, people who retrieve belongings from homes that are victims of fire or floods and clean them for the owners) and I failed miserably at that. I have worked in restaurant business for over 2 years and I hated it. I was only a cook, and they never wanted to make me anything else. I don't ever want to go back to that. I was a delivery driver for about 4 years, but I got laid off due to the economy and my driving record being tarnished from disobeying traffic laws (even though it was my job that told me "go faster, faster, FASTER, make your deadlines, no one goes the speed limit in this jopb and if you do it will take you forever to get things done"). Right now I work part-time at a grocery store called Harris Teeter, and I need another part-time job to fill the void of income that I seem to have due to no longer working at DHL. HT says that it will probably take a few years before I am made full-time, so I got to find other work in the mean time. I have never been a sales associate until I started at HT as a cashier. It isn't too bad, but then again I just started a few months ago. I want to continue this career choice mainly because I feel it is the best possibility of moving up in a company (which is what I have been trying to do since I worked at Burger King in 2003-2005). I really need to make something of myself, and these stupid tests are annoying. How can anyone just expect to hire people with specific personalities? That isn't freedom at all! That is the worst kind of discrimination I can think of! If a person's personality is not 100% what they want then they don't give then the time of day? That's even worse than ignoring a person who wants a job when they have more than enough experience and knowledge, just because they don't have a college degree!

Sometimes I wish I could change things in this world, but as a part-time cashier at a grocery store, I am helpless. I hope that things can change someday.

"Change happens! Change happens because the people demand it!" - Barack Obama.

If I had the power to change things, life would be a whole lot more fair than it is right now. I don't want handouts from companies. I just want to prove I am worth hiring and can earn my way in any business.

-Ryan

Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:51 pm
The Geek
The Geek

ryan_dan wrote:
How can anyone just expect to hire people with specific personalities? That isn't freedom at all! That is the worst kind of discrimination I can think of! If a person's personality is not 100% what they want then they don't give then the time of day? That's even worse than ignoring a person who wants a job when they have more than enough experience and knowledge, just because they don't have a college degree!

Because as the owner of a business, I have every right weed out people who have personalities that don't mix nicely with the job.

I'm not saying I support the tests. Indeed, I think they're full of worthless questions that are designed from only one of entirely too many viewpoints. You have to say you strongly disagree with working all by yourself, because teamwork is important. Yet, by saying that, you make it seem like you're too incompetent to get stuff done without someone else there to hold your hand. Of course the tests are a load of crap, but they're there for a reason. Interviewing people costs time and money, and there's no sense in interviewing someone who thinks it's acceptable to cuss a customer out for being a moron, despite the fact that 99% of all customers are less intelligent than the products they're buying.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]